Traded Draft Pick Tracker

Chimaira_Devil_#9

I figured it would be good to have a place where we can update on a regular basis how the Draft picks the Devil's received are shaping up.

First let's set out the picks and conditions (if any):

Arizona's 1st round pick for hall

Conditions: Lottery protected, if Arizona wins  the lottery and moves into any of the first 3 spots the pick moves to 2021

Current pick : 11th

The ideal situation for this pick is that Arizona slides right down the order , fails to win the draft and we get another top 10 pick. They are still very much in the playoff race so I would say this is looking to be a pick between 10 and 16.

Arizona's 3rd round pick 2021

Conditions:

If Arizona manages to win a playoff round OR Taylor Hall Re-signs then it becomes as 2nd 2021 , if both happen it becomes a 1st 2021. 

Currently : 3rd round pick 

Honestly I hope that this actually stays a 3rd. I would rather have the 1st round pick this year in a very deep draft be as high as possible. Time will tell on this one. 

Tampa Bay's 1st for Coleman

Conditions: Vancouver needs to Qualify for the playoffs for this to transfer this year.

Current Pick: 18th overall 

This is Vancouver's pick that was traded as part of the J T Miller trade. Vancouver has to make the post season for this to become the devil's pick. Currently the Canucks are second in the Pacific with games in hand over their rivals. However Markstrom has just picked up a knock and they traded for Domingue to fill in. This one is touch and go to say the least. Possible pick between 16 and 31st (although that seems unlikely)

Hurricanes 3rd/4th for Vatanen

Conditions:

if Vatanen plays in 12 regular season games in 2020 or 70% of 2020 playoff games it becomes a 3rd,  if Vatanen plays in 5 regular season games in 2020 it becomes a 4th.

Current Pick: No pick

Vats needs to get back on the ice. There are 20 games left for him to suit up for the Canes in the regular season, they are currently outside the last wild card spot by 2 points so this could be a miss altogether. 

Buffalos 5th Round Pick for Simmonds

Conditions: The pick becomes a 4th round if buffalo makes the playoffs. 

Current Pick: 5th round

This will be a 5th round pick. There is currently a 2% chance of Buffalo making the playoffs. 

Will update as and when conditions are met or not met. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Good stuff, it's nice to keep track of this.  Didn't know that we could end up with nothing for Vatanen.  If that's the case, it's a bit more of a disappointment than I originally thought, but still not horrible considering the guy is hurt and a UFA-to-be.

We can’t end up with nothing. We received a player back.

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

We can’t end up with nothing. We received a player back.

True, I meant no picks.  I guess wasn't counting on Claesson's ceiling being very high, especially since he's already a little older.  I watched some of the game last night, but didn't really notice him.  Any idea how he did?

43 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

True, I meant no picks.  I guess wasn't counting on Claesson's ceiling being very high, especially since he's already a little older.  I watched some of the game last night, but didn't really notice him.  Any idea how he did?

Kuokkanen was the main piece. 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Claesson is a warm body...a guy with some NHL experience to help offset for the loss of Greene...think another Dalton Prout.  He's probably not here beyond this season.  

CD#9...thanks for starting this thread.  Arizona can't seem to get themselves going...they're now 12-15-4 since acquiring Hall, and just 6-11-4 in their last 21.  Teams near them have games in hand too.  Nashville and Minnesota have 4 games in hand each.  Yotes could very easily fall out of this thing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Claesson is a warm body...a guy with some NHL experience to help offset for the loss of Greene...think another Dalton Prout.  He's probably not here beyond this season.  

CD#9...thanks for starting this thread.  Arizona can't seem to get themselves going...they're now 12-15-4 since acquiring Hall, and just 6-11-4 in their last 21.  Teams near them have games in hand too.  Nashville and Minnesota have 4 games in hand each.  Yotes could very easily fall out of this thing.

We could very well have 2 top 10 picks this year and then one in the late teens. While I can't wait until the draft isn't the most exciting part of a season, this could be a monumental one for us. 

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I figured it would be good to have a place where we can update on a regular basis how the Draft picks the Devil's received are shaping up.

First let's set out the picks and conditions (if any):

Tampa Bay's 1st for Coleman

Conditions: Vancouver needs to Qualify for the playoffs for this to transfer this year.

Current Pick: 30th , 2020

As this was a conditional pick traded by Vancouver to Tampa we have two variables in this. Vancouver has to make the post season for this to become the devil's pick. Currently the Canucks are second in the Pacific with games in hand over their rivals. However Markstrom has just picked up a knock and they traded for Domingue to fill in. This one is touch and go to say the least. 

In terms of where this pick sits, there is no way Tampa implodes on the regular season and slides out of the playoff picture. So what we can hope for is they do what they did last season and implode in the playoffs. If this transfers the probably a pick between 25th and 31st. 

This is not correct. It's Vancouver's pick, not Tampa's pick. You're looking for where Vancouver finishes, not Tampa. We don't care what happens to Tampa. We want Vancouver to make the playoffs and then lose in the first round to make it as good a pick as possible.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

This is not correct. It's Vancouver's pick, not Tampa's pick. You're looking for where Vancouver finishes, not Tampa. We don't care what happens to Tampa. We want Vancouver to make the playoffs and then lose in the first round to make it as good a pick as possible.

This^^

Tampa's own pick also went in the trade for Barclay Goodrow.

And yes.....we want Vancouver to make it in as basically the last seed and get knocked out first round.

Edited by Jimmy Leeds
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Accurate. Unfortunately we have a few non-warm bodies on defense also lol. 

19 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

We could very well have 2 top 10 picks this year and then one in the late teens. While I can't wait until the draft isn't the most exciting part of a season, this could be a monumental one for us. 

I don't disagree that this draft could have a big impact on our team, and although I love Nico and Jack, I was kind of hoping that after having 2 #1 overall picks in 3 years, we'd be in the playoffs at that point. I suppose with this being Jack's first year that's not exactly fair, but still, it's a little hard for me to get too excited about the draft when we basically hit the jackpot 2 out of 3 years, and it didn't make us instant world-beaters.

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't disagree that this draft could have a big impact on our team, and although I love Nico and Jack, I was kind of hoping that after having 2 #1 overall picks in 3 years, we'd be in the playoffs at that point. I suppose with this being Jack's first year that's not exactly fair, but still, it's a little hard for me to get too excited about the draft when we basically hit the jackpot 2 out of 3 years, and it didn't make us instant world-beaters.

Neither one is a McDavid or a Matthews for that matter.  Jack will be fine

20 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Neither one is a McDavid or a Matthews for that matter.  Jack will be fine

Valid point. Nico is not a franchise altering talent on his own, and Jack still needs a lot of development. 

Ultimately I think both will be great players. We shall see. 

30 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Don't forget to factor in how bad the non-Blackwood goaltending was both last year and this (.890 combined save% for non-Mac goalies, before last night's game).  Hopefully that issue is a thing of the past.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

They are great pieces. Not generational talents, but what's going to matter is what we put around them. Foote could really work well on one of their wings, and it looks like we may have something in Clarke as well. The goalie questions might be answered too. Now we have this very deep draft with 3 possible 1st round picks. 

The idea of instant world-beaters doesn’t really exist in hockey. Just look at Edmonton. They have McDavid and Draisatl (sp?) at near their primes and they are still not a definite playoff team. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Totally agree. And Jack needs to mature

Just like Nico needed to. He had more points in his rookie year because he was playing mostly with Taylor Hall having a career, MVP season. He was still a cream puff and was knocked off the puck nearly all the time. 

That problem mostly went away his 2nd year and is now no longer an issue in his game. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Don't forget to factor in how bad the non-Blackwood goaltending was both last year and this (.890 combined save% for non-Mac goalies, before last night's game).  Hopefully that issue is a thing of the past.  

Yeah, that's a good point.  I do think we have our future goalie in Blackwood, and if he's given the lion's share of games next year, and plays anything close to the way he's played in the last month or two, that alone will probably keep the season from becoming a dumpster fire like this one did early on.

7 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

They are great pieces. Not generational talents, but what's going to matter is what we put around them. Foote could really work well on one of their wings, and it looks like we may have something in Clarke as well. The goalie questions might be answered too. Now we have this very deep draft with 3 possible 1st round picks. 

The idea of instant world-beaters doesn’t really exist in hockey. Just look at Edmonton. They have McDavid and Draisatl (sp?) at near their primes and they are still not a definite playoff team. 

Also fair points.  I guess nothing's really a given anymore.  I'm still happy we have Nico and Jack, and I hope you're right, that this draft ends up having a huge impact for us and we get some key pieces that will eventually become staples in the lineup.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Also fair points.  I guess nothing's really a given anymore.  I'm still happy we have Nico and Jack, and I hope you're right, that this draft ends up having a huge impact for us and we get some key pieces that will eventually become staples in the lineup.

I'm not saying it will happen by any stretch, but I'm at least excited at the possibilities. 

And honestly, I'm hoping this is the last time we care about the draft lottery for a long time. Its been a frustrating 7 of 8 years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

Thanks. Will edit. 

58 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Thanks. Will edit. 

The other outcome is if Vancouver misses the playoffs, it reverts to a 2021 *UNPROTECTED* pick.
I think I'd rather pick this year, but if Vancouver misses...   we'd be cheering on the misery of the Canucks next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Exactly. It just doesn’t work that way in hockey.

• Like 1