Traded Draft Pick Tracker

Chimaira_Devil_#9

3 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

Yea exactly but also, what our guys need tto come back, go through camp, for 10 games in the middle of the summer? Screw that.

That does seem stupid. I’d say bring back just the teams that have a chance, but that could result in teams having to play a playoff team when they would otherwise have had an easy opponent. 

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

That does seem stupid. I’d say bring back just the teams that have a chance, but that could result in teams having to play a playoff team when they would otherwise have had an easy opponent. 

They're discussing a 24 dream playoff, Lebrun mentioned this on TSN, I think Bettman wants teams (just outside playoffs) a chance to advance/get in.  Regardless, (like that old Bob Dylan tune) We aint goin nowhere,

11 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

They're discussing a 24 dream playoff, Lebrun mentioned this on TSN, I think Bettman wants teams (just outside playoffs) a chance to advance/get in.  Regardless, (like that old Bob Dylan tune) We aint goin nowhere,

They need to cut the sh!t and just cancel the season. These lame-ass playoff scenarios legit will cause an asterisk to be next to any Cup win at this point. I’d rather not award the Cup for one year than have it won in some one-off, weird-ass ‘playoff’ where you have 24 fvcking teams (meaning eight- EIGHT!!!!!- teams that normally would not be in the playoffs would be in under such a scenario, which is enough to make my fvcking head explode) getting in..... and what if one of those eight non-playoff teams just happens to get hot at just the right time, goes on a run, and somehow wins the Cup? Would any of you want that? I certainly wouldn’t. It reaches the point where it’s absurd to consider some of this sh!t. Just cancel the season, and try to salvage next season, which in a best case scenario, will at the very least be played with no fans in attendance, at least to start. I love and miss hockey and sports in general, but I’m not about these whack-job finish the season ideas. It’s over. Cancel it. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

They need to cut the sh!t and just cancel the season. These lame-ass playoff scenarios legit will cause an asterisk to be next to any Cup win at this point. I’d rather not award the Cup for one year than have it won in some one-off, weird-ass ‘playoff’ where you have 24 fvcking teams (meaning eight- EIGHT!!!!!- teams that normally would not be in the playoffs would be in under such a scenario, which is enough to make my fvcking head explode) getting in..... and what if one of those eight non-playoff teams just happens to get hot at just the right time, goes on a run, and somehow wins the Cup? Would any of you want that? I certainly wouldn’t. It reaches the point where it’s absurd to consider some of this sh!t. Just cancel the season, and try to salvage next season, which in a best case scenario, will at the very least be played with no fans in attendance, at least to start. I love and miss hockey and sports in general, but I’m not about these whack-job finish the season ideas. It’s over. Cancel it. 

They are almost certainly more concerned with losing half a billion dollars in revenue than whether there is an imaginary asterisk. 

That said, changing the playoff format is incredibly stupid. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

They are almost certainly more concerned with losing half a billion dollars in revenue than whether there is an imaginary asterisk. 

That said, changing the playoff format is incredibly stupid. 

Yeah obviously the money is the main motivation, but it’s sad what they’d be willing to do in order to protect that revenue. I don’t want the Stanley Cup undermined in the name of money, but it is what it is. They’ll almost certainly mess this up.

Edited by MadDog2020

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah obviously the money is the main motivation, but it’s sad what they’d be willing to do in order to protect that revenue. I don’t want the Stanley Cup undermined in the name of money, but it is what it is. They’ll almost certainly mess this up.

Agreed. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2020 at 12:26 PM, MadDog2020 said:

Not to mention there won’t be fans, so.... not nearly as much revenue. They pretty much get some TV money and that’s it. 

I may be misinformed but I thought those TV contracts were a pretty big deal as far as the money involved.

37 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I may be misinformed but I thought those TV contracts were a pretty big deal as far as the money involved.

The NHL gets meal money on their U.S. TV contract compared to the other sports. Gate drives the league, especially playoff gate. No fans, no gate. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

The NHL gets meal money on their U.S. TV contract compared to the other sports. Gate drives the league, especially playoff gate. No fans, no gate. 

Are you sure about this? Considering how poorly like.. half the league draws I can't imagine the gates exceeds the hundreds of millions of dollars the NHL gets from NBC and TSN.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Are you sure about this? Considering how poorly like.. half the league draws I can't imagine the gates exceeds the hundreds of millions of dollars the NHL gets from NBC and TSN.

I’d be lying if I told you I know the all of the numbers, but I do know the NHL TV contract pales in comparison to the other three major sports. The NHL is by far the most gate-driven of the four major North American pro leagues.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i wish we would have seen this much desperation from the NHL and players to get a season going when they were having a money tug war and seasons were cancelled for a lockout.

I actually thought the same thing the other day lol.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 1:51 PM, NJDevils1214 said:

From what I read, it's approximately $500 million across all TV deals in the US, Canada, and abroad.  Not chump change, and losing that revenue will have a very real impact on the cap at some point.  That is the main reason why both the owners and players are so interested in making sure a playoff occurs.  While the league is more gate driven then the NFL, MLB, and NBA, its TV contracts are not insignificant and still make up a good chunk of hockey related revenue on an annual basis.  

On the other hand, the AHL is completely gate driven and the fact that they would have to restart without any fans in the buildings makes no sense financially for them.  That is why they cancelled the remainder of their season today.  In fact, if they have to start next year without fans, don't be surprised if the AHL cancels all or part of their 2020-21 schedule if they do not receive any direct financial support from the NHL.

The NHL should go on points percentage and re-start this season with the 1st round of the playoffs.  Bringing back teams like the Devils and Detroit to play meaningless regular season games in front of empty arenas makes no sense.  However, these clubs have sponsorship contracts and their own individual TV deals to live up to, so I'm sure the owners would like to finish the regular season to prevent having to refund significant money remaining on those deals.  I just don't see that being feasible though.

Only in the NHL: Feel like we're flip flopping every couple days about whether the draft is going to take place in,  you know, less than a month.

I'm sure there's lots of stuff going on behind the scenes, but you'd think they'd want to formally confirm the date if it's going to take place in <4 weeks.

Knowing how this league works, they'll announce on a Sunday that the draft is going to take place on the following Friday.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/26/2020 at 7:38 AM, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I figured it would be good to have a place where we can update on a regular basis how the Draft picks the Devil's received are shaping up.

First let's set out the picks and conditions (if any):

Arizona's 1st round pick for hall

Conditions: Lottery protected, if Arizona wins  the lottery and moves into any of the first 3 spots the pick moves to 2021

Current pick : 11th

The ideal situation for this pick is that Arizona slides right down the order , fails to win the draft and we get another top 10 pick. They are still very much in the playoff race so I would say this is looking to be a pick between 10 and 16.

Arizona's 3rd round pick 2021

Conditions:

If Arizona manages to win a playoff round OR Taylor Hall Re-signs then it becomes as 2nd 2021 , if both happen it becomes a 1st 2021. 

Currently : 3rd round pick 

Honestly I hope that this actually stays a 3rd. I would rather have the 1st round pick this year in a very deep draft be as high as possible. Time will tell on this one. 

Tampa Bay's 1st for Coleman

Conditions: Vancouver needs to Qualify for the playoffs for this to transfer this year.

Current Pick: 18th overall 

This is Vancouver's pick that was traded as part of the J T Miller trade. Vancouver has to make the post season for this to become the devil's pick. Currently the Canucks are second in the Pacific with games in hand over their rivals. However Markstrom has just picked up a knock and they traded for Domingue to fill in. This one is touch and go to say the least. Possible pick between 16 and 31st (although that seems unlikely)

Hurricanes 3rd/4th for Vatanen

Conditions:

if Vatanen plays in 12 regular season games in 2020 or 70% of 2020 playoff games it becomes a 3rd,  if Vatanen plays in 5 regular season games in 2020 it becomes a 4th.

Current Pick: No pick

Vats needs to get back on the ice. There are 20 games left for him to suit up for the Canes in the regular season, they are currently outside the last wild card spot by 2 points so this could be a miss altogether. 

Buffalos 5th Round Pick for Simmonds

Conditions: The pick becomes a 4th round if buffalo makes the playoffs. 

Current Pick: 5th round

This will be a 5th round pick. There is currently a 2% chance of Buffalo making the playoffs. 

Will update as and when conditions are met or not met. 

So as far as the Vatanen trade goes. To get the 3rd, Carolina would need to beat the Rangers, then play 3 of 4, 4 of 5, 5 of 6, or 5+ of 7 games the next round.  But to get the 4th, would a 5 game series against the Rangers suffice?

9 hours ago, Crisis said:

So as far as the Vatanen trade goes. To get the 3rd, Carolina would need to beat the Rangers, then play 3 of 4, 4 of 5, 5 of 6, or 5+ of 7 games the next round.  But to get the 4th, would a 5 game series against the Rangers suffice?

I read it as 70% of the playoff games that Carolina plays.

1 hour ago, devlman said:

I read it as 70% of the playoff games that Carolina plays.

The series against the Rangers does not count as playoff games.  Therefore, to get the 3rd, Crisis is correct.  The part the Devils and Carolina are fighting about (which will likely end up in arbitration) is whether a 5 game or longer series against the Rangers in the qualifier round triggers the conditional 4th round pick. I can't see how an arbiter in good faith could say no to the Devils position on that.  Those games count for something and are not exhibitions.  But this is the NHL, so you need to take logic completely out of the equation.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I can't see how an arbiter in good faith could say no to the Devils position on that.  Those games count for something and are not exhibitions.  But this is the NHL, so you need to take logic completely out of the equation.   

Because We Are Team, and we pretty much always get the shaft on these decisions since #4 was given to us.

Personally, I think they SHOULD be considered regular season games, since they don't fit the 16 game playoff that was in place at the time.

I’m starting to think we should use the Az pick (if it remains 10) to draft Askarov. If we could walk away with Rossi or Sanderson with the 7th and then Askarov at 10 I’d be very happy. Then maybe Quinn falls to 17 if we get that pick.

2 hours ago, Jerzey said:

I’m starting to think we should use the Az pick (if it remains 10) to draft Askarov. If we could walk away with Rossi or Sanderson with the 7th and then Askarov at 10 I’d be very happy. Then maybe Quinn falls to 17 if we get that pick.

I’d he completely fine with that. We don’t have much in the system other than Mac. Gilles Senn is already 24, even if he does end up being a capable option at the NHL level. 

Maybe the other way around though. Quinn at 10, and Askarov at 17. I think there’s a better possibility he’s still there at that point than Quinn. 

• Like 1