Traded Draft Pick Tracker

Chimaira_Devil_#9

5 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So I'll respectfully counter with the following (in no particular order):

• The stagnant cap will really put a damper on the market for a guy like Marner with that contract.  Don't think many teams would entertain acquiring him unless TO eats some salary and I don't think they'd be inclined to do that.  We could certainly take the whole contract and not need to send a cap dump their way in return.
  • Their management is going to feel the pressure to move someone, and it's either going to be Marner or Nylander in all likelihood.  Can't roll out this same exact core next season after so many post season failures.
  • The fans (disclaimer: they're crazy) want Marner gone and many deem his contract "unmovable".
    • I don't think they're necessarily right but maybe it's at least partly accurate.
  • Severson seems to be highly regarded around the league despite the pretty bad play we've seen from him in recent years.  Toronto needs massive, massive help on defense.
    • I don't think Severson solves their problems but.. maybe they could be convinced.

So, under normal circumstances I'd agree with you that it'd take a pretty big package from NJ to get Marner.  But honestly, with everything that's gone on lately I'm starting to convince myself that a package of Severson + ARI/VAN 1st + lesser prospect gets it done.  Price would be a little higher than Subban but the same sort of deal in principle. 

I could be totally offbase.  But, if Marner's available I hope Fitz at least inquiries.  

I think that offer would be enough to net us Nylander. Marner would certainly command more. I’d be happy with that deal for Nylander.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So, under normal circumstances I'd agree with you that it'd take a pretty big package from NJ to get Marner.  But honestly, with everything that's gone on lately I'm starting to convince myself that a package of Severson + ARI/VAN 1st + lesser prospect gets it done.  Price would be a little higher than Subban but the same sort of deal in principle. 

I could be totally offbase.  But, if Marner's available I hope Fitz at least inquiries.  

I doubt he is actually available, but if he is, I would make that deal all day long, probably without regard for whoever the lesser prospect is. 

5 hours ago, Guadana said:

We are talking about Marner? Really? Yesterday teenager with 5y contract who is 90 points per season?

They can ask Sevs+Smith+7oap and i don`t think that it`s a rude.

Well, we are one of the only teams that can actually afford his contract. The problem is not having the assets to get him.

Also, he’s 23. 

4 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Unless Jacobs is ready to step (right shot) Severson is our # 1 D man whether we like it or not. It was Andy Greene. We need a beast or two back there. Look at Columbus, I know #3 & #8 are a great 1/2 punch,  but the remainder of the D know there limits & job.  Torts made it that way! Protecting the house is everything.  They shut down perhaps one of the most talented fw group in the league.

You can certainly do a lot with a couple studs on the blue line and great goaltending can’t you...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Huh? I was referring to us back in the day lol

Nashville seems to hardly ever gets good goaltending once the playoffs start. 

ah well the NHL is different than back then though. Plus when we won in 2000 we had the top scoring team in the league so haha

There's no way around it it's really about having a good balance

39 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

ah well the NHL is different than back then though. Plus when we won in 2000 we had the top scoring team in the league so haha

There's no way around it it's really about having a good balance

It hasn’t changed that much. How many teams have won Cups without at least one stud top pairing guy on the blue line? Pens maybe? 

Blues - Pietrangelo

Caps - Carlson 

Hawks - Keith & Seabrook

Kings - Doughty 

Bruins - Chara 

Ofc you need balance, but the old cliche about defense winning championships is absolutely still true. It’s one of the reasons the Leafs are watching the playoffs from their couches. 

Edited by Nicomo
Couches not coaches lol

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I can see why 01 haunts Marty so much. That team was insane. 

And Marty turned in one of his worst and most inconsistent seasons...that gets lost in the shuffle because that team was so damned dynamic and fun to watch (the A-line was beastly of course, and you had Mogilny just explode after a slow start...36 goals in his final 47 regular season games), and they went on that absolute 22-2-0 tear to close out the regular season and into the playoffs.  Outscored their opponents 105-46 for that stretch.  Sadly they did peak just a bit early...after that run that clearly couldn't go on forever, they were scuffling quite a bit...they went 12-10 the rest of the way (on their way to losing in the SCF), and just didn't look as polished.  A flawed and oddly disinterested Penguins team provided some needed tonic, but Marty's game really bottomed out in the SCF...an .870 save% for that series (.897 for the playoffs), and he looked just as bad as that number would suggest.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Just now, HellOnICE said:

I still think the 2001 team was the best Devils team they had ever assembled.

Yeah, much as I hate to pin not winning the Cup on any one player (and others were to blame...the offense went just cold enough), if Marty had played to 1995, 2000, or 2003 playoff form, Devils win another Cup for sure.  He simply wasn't good that year, but like I mentioned above, a dynamic high-scoring team was able to cover up for him a lot that season.  

Really feeling jealous of the teams that turned taking on a contract in to first round picks (Canes specifically at 13 overall for taking on Marleau). They ended up with a better pick for taking on a contract than we did for Hall (likely barring a series win and re-sign)....Now a lot of that is revisionist history, but just wish these deep pocketed owners had used that money to buy some first round picks (Ducks with Backes). I think this opportunity will still be there, especially with the cap not going up for the next few years, but just a shame ownership didn't really pull the trigger on one of those types of deals already. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Vatanen is scratched for this game.  That is not good for the pick.

well, hypothetically, if he plays the next 3 and they get swept, that still 75%...

and to be faaaaaaaair, when we made the trade, the odds were low as hell in us getting any of the picks.

Edited by jagknife

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

and to be faaaaaaaair, when we made the trade, the odds were low as hell in us getting any of the picks.

Honestly, I fully expected he'd never play a single game for them, and if not for COVID, I don't think he would have. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

What about trying to use the 18th or 20th to move up to grab Askarov? Thinking maybe the Preds or Panthers might bite depending on what we add.

Always make sure you have consent before you grab Askarov. 

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well since i work in marketing and websites i want to see ads. It's called research :P 

I don't use one. I don't care about ads.