Traded Draft Pick Tracker

Chimaira_Devil_#9

3 hours ago, Jerzey said:

I do agree that we need to swing for the fences with our 1st round picks this year instead of taking safe depth players. Take a risk on some players who are high risk/high reward. Our bottom 6 will be fine.

Yeah I agree.  Sort of the "best player available" approach.  Try to get the player who will make the biggest impact and hope they turn into first or second line players.  We can always grab someone from the minors and try to plug bottom six roles.  We've been doing it for years.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah I agree.  Sort of the "best player available" approach.  Try to get the player who will make the biggest impact and hope they turn into first or second line players.  We can always grab someone from the minors and try to plug bottom six roles.  We've been doing it for years.  

I think in a lot of ways that’s what the AHL has become...a place to develop mostly bottom six guys (and some lower end top sixers).  Seems like the good to great top six guys either bypass the A altogether, or spend very little time there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alright so since we’re all on lockdown, my brain got to wondering... if the league decides to axe the season, how the hell do conditional picks work? None of us have the answers but why not speculate?

Idea: points percentage to decide final position. 
Pro: teams are ranked based solely on how they performed, pints taken out of the equation.

Con: teams who should have made the playoffs but don’t actually get to compete for the cup will be upset their assets they acquired/gave up will not have been worth it.

there will be no clean solution to this as teams/fans will absolutely be pissed off of a cup isn’t awarded

You mostly hear noise about the top 10 prospects. But later in the draft players come right out of the gate one year or two after being selected. McAvoy 14th, Barzal 16th, Konecney 24th Boeser 23rd  But there will be players in the 11-30 range that will be overlooked by many teams. Lots of hype (Zacha) but better long term players if you can figure it out. There's gotta be long shots out there that only a year away.  

Anyone else kind of worried about some NHL f*7ckery taking place with these picks? This is really the time I miss having Loophole Lou in charge. When there is chaos or uncertainty in the rules/policies Lou is always willing to push the boundaries and most of the time pulled off things that benefited the Devils. Feel like he'd end up with all 3 picks not lottery protected or something crazy. 

Well it's clear to me that we're 98% sure of not getting our 3rd first round pick from Vancouver... they are out of the playoffs right now technically anyway... then theres no playoffs... our only chance is if the rankings would be adjusted by % since some have more games played... then maybe they could squeeze in a wildcard spot... But i wouldnt hold my breath on that

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

the only thing is im hoping they dont do something like... well since there was no playoffs lets give a chance to any team to win the lottery and everyone's odds would drop drastically

That’s just silly. That’d be like winning the lottery and still having to pick 4th. 

Hey wait a minute...2011. 

On 4/9/2020 at 11:01 PM, SterioDesign said:

the only thing is im hoping they dont do something like... well since there was no playoffs lets give a chance to any team to win the lottery and everyone's odds would drop drastically

My fear is that the league (or Arizona) could argue that the "conditions" were not triggered either way and leave it up to some sort of arbitration to what happens to the traded picks and things could get wacky.  If I am Arizona, I am arguing that the fair thing would be to slide the entire condition to 2021/2022 1sts since we didn't have the opportunity to make the playoffs and/or the lottery winning rules we had made the conditions off of are now changed. Just nothing rock solid right now and lots of opportunity for some back office negotiating.

Going to need the analytics department to take some training on epidemiology..could have really made some clever moves in January...

What about the very real possibility there are no playoffs? Then what happens? Just uncertainty all over the place. Punish the playoff teams with no lottery chances even though they didn't get anything out of being good? lol what if they go the other way and reward the playoff teams by flipping the standings for the draft lottery %'s? I would be for that only for the reaction from Senators fans. 

26 minutes ago, Steadevils said:

What about the very real possibility there are no playoffs? Then what happens? Just uncertainty all over the place. Punish the playoff teams with no lottery chances even though they didn't get anything out of being good? lol what if they go the other way and reward the playoff teams by flipping the standings for the draft lottery %'s? I would be for that only for the reaction from Senators fans. 

it's almost certain that there won't be anymore hockey this season

Just have 4 lottery pick... 3 for the top 3 spots in the draft and one for the cup.

Edited by SterioDesign

On 4/9/2020 at 9:48 PM, SterioDesign said:

Well it's clear to me that we're 98% sure of not getting our 3rd first round pick from Vancouver... they are out of the playoffs right now technically anyway... then theres no playoffs... our only chance is if the rankings would be adjusted by % since some have more games played... then maybe they could squeeze in a wildcard spot... But i wouldnt hold my breath on that

If they don't do any more regular season games but still keep it to 16 team playoff, I don't see how it could be anything other than point percentage.  If that's how they do it, Vancouver would be in and we'd get their pick.  I would think that's how they would do it if the season is canceled or if they hold the draft before play resumes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

If they don't do any more regular season games but still keep it to 16 team playoff, I don't see how it could be anything other than point percentage.  If that's how they do it, Vancouver would be in and we'd get their pick.  I would think that's how they would do it if the season is canceled or if they hold the draft before play resumes.

I also saw a suggested to roll back to 68 games and whereevr they were at 68 is the end of the season.  In that scenario buffalo passes us for 6th worst and we are 7th :(

On 4/15/2020 at 3:33 PM, CMONPETEYD said:

I also saw a suggested to roll back to 68 games and whereevr they were at 68 is the end of the season.  In that scenario buffalo passes us for 6th worst and we are 7th :(

i can't see that being the solution vs point %... i mean what's happening with the goals scored and all during those games? guys like ovechkin would get 2 less goals in their stats? Just going back to adjust all that would be hell

Just use the standings as they sit if they don't restart the season. Is it "fair" to teams that didn't play as many games? Maybe not. But life isn't fair and this is an unprecedented situation. If the season is deemed over, then it is what it is.

The alternative that would make the most sense to me is, take the teams that have less games, make them all play each other until the number of games is equal. I don't know how big the divide is, but it shouldn't be much more than a handful of games, no?

48 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Just use the standings as they sit if they don't restart the season. Is it "fair" to teams that didn't play as many games? Maybe not. But life isn't fair and this is an unprecedented situation. If the season is deemed over, then it is what it is.

The alternative that would make the most sense to me is, take the teams that have less games, make them all play each other until the number of games is equal. I don't know how big the divide is, but it shouldn't be much more than a handful of games, no?

Just go with points %. easy

• Like 1