GDT: Devils at Kings: Family Rivalry - 29 Feb @ 4pm Eastern

jagknife

17 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yes

Pretty good chances he set up for Nico and Palms, no? Not his fault neither could bury one.

The entire top line has gone cold recently. Not just Hughes. Personally I think they should break them up, but Nas clearly knows what he’s doing...

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Pretty good chances he set up for Nico and Palms, no? Not his fault neither could bury one.

The entire top line has gone cold recently. Not just Hughes. Personally I think they should break them up, but Nas clearly knows what he’s doing...

I liked the idea of trying the three of them together, but it clearly has not worked. 

However, I’m not sure it makes a difference at this point, as I hope at least half of our to 12 forwards will not be on our Opening Night roster next year. 

A guy can dream. 

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I liked the idea of trying the three of them together, but it clearly has not worked. 

However, I’m not sure it makes a difference at this point, as I hope at least half of our to 12 forwards will not be on our Opening Night roster next year. 

A guy can dream. 

Yeah, a couple weeks ago we were all bitching about Hughes being stuck on the 3rd line with Simmonds. It was worth a try, but like you said, it’s not working. 

Nas must try to put hughes and gusev on the same line to pump little boy production. Or put Hughes on a wing with Zajac. May be he can learn something like Gusev. Or Coleman. Or others. 

Hope Zajac will be one of the coaches in our system one day,

28 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

A guy can dream. 

They had some good opportunities yesterday, but they’ve been so cursed it’s starting to feel like they just aren’t meant to be on a line together.  

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They had some good opportunities yesterday, but they’ve been so cursed it’s starting to feel like they just aren’t meant to be on a line together.  

I’m not saying anyone is a bust, but at some point, missed opportunities are not enough. I think we’re at that point with that experiment, it should’ve paid dividends by now. 

17 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah too bad he couldn't get on the scoresheet last night.  Hischier found a way though.  Good for him!

Hughes with Simmonds and Zacha didn't work.  Now Hughes with Palms and Hischier is not working.  But Thornton.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yeah too bad he couldn't get on the scoresheet last night.  Hischier found a way though.  Good for him!

Hughes with Simmonds and Zacha didn't work.  Now Hughes with Palms and Hischier is not working.  But Thornton.

Yeah, Thornton. If Hughes can come anywhere close to his career we’ll be dancing in the streets. So I’m not quite sure what point you think you’re making by continuing to mock that example. You, and Daniel, and the rest of the doom and gloomers act like we brought up someone from the original 6 or something. As opposed to a guy that’s still playing in the league, and has been one of the best ever. 

But maybe you know what you’re talking about though. You were the guy that knew Coleman was “nothing but a role player” and that he would never come close to scoring 20 goals again...

Edited by Nicomo

57 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, Thornton. If Hughes can come anywhere close to his career we’ll be dancing in the streets. So I’m not quite sure what point you think you’re making by continuing to mock that example. You, and Daniel, and the rest of the doom and gloomers act like we brought up someone from the original 6 or something. As opposed to a guy that’s still playing in the league, and has been one of the best ever. 

But maybe you know what you’re talking about though. You were the guy that knew Coleman was “nothing but a role player” and that he would never come close to scoring 20 goals again...

Thornton was 20+ years ago and was often scratched and was purposefully given limited minutes on the fourth line.

If Thornton is being tossed around all the time as a vision of Hughes' future, then why isn't Daigle, Stefan and Yakupov being given the same amount of consideration?

And yes, Coleman is still a role player.  I really don't know how else to describe a player who is 28 years old, has 95 points in 241 NHL games, and has never topped 36 points in a season.

8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Thornton was 20+ years ago and was often scratched and was purposefully given limited minutes on the fourth line.

If Thornton is being tossed around all the time as a vision of Hughes' future, then why isn't Daigle, Stefan and Yakupov being given the same amount of consideration?

And yes, Coleman is still a role player.  I really don't know how else to describe a player who is 28 years old, has 95 points in 241 NHL games, and has never topped 36 points in a season.

Who care what the circumstances of Thornton’s rookie season was? Stats are all that matters right? We’re certainly not allowed to make excuses for Hughes about 3rd line minutes with Wayne Simmonds and Miles Wood, or poor coaching, etc. And Thornton only had 41 points his second year, wonder what the problem was...

Coleman is a multiple 20 goal scorer that could play top 6 for most teams in the league. That is not a “role player.” John Hayden is a role player. Kevin Rooney in a role player. Blake Coleman, who one of the best teams in the league gave up a haul for is not. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

Who care what the circumstances of Thornton’s rookie season was? Stats are all that matters right? We’re certainly not allowed to make excuses for Hughes about 3rd line minutes with Wayne Simmonds and Miles Wood, or poor coaching, etc. And Thornton only had 41 points his second year, wonder what the problem was...

Coleman is a multiple 20 goal scorer that could play top 6 for most teams in the league. That is not a “role player.” John Hayden is a role player. Kevin Rooney in a role player. Blake Coleman, who one of the best teams in the league gave up a haul for is not. 

And Hughes has played the last 8-10 games on the top line and has done worse.  I also hope Hughes has 41 points next season.  That will be almost double the output of this season.

lol at "multiple" 20 goal scorer.  Got me there with a whopping 2 seasons.  Let's see if he can do it a third time on a team that will not play him top 6 minutes.  Tampa did indeed pay a king's ransom for him.  That's why the rest of the NHL thought that they stupidly overpaid for him.  Hell even Fitz mentioned how he couldn't believe the offer he got for him.

24 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

And Hughes has played the last 8-10 games on the top line and has done worse.  I also hope Hughes has 41 points next season.  That will be almost double the output of this season.

lol at "multiple" 20 goal scorer.  Got me there with a whopping 2 seasons.  Let's see if he can do it a third time on a team that will not play him top 6 minutes.  Tampa did indeed pay a king's ransom for him.  That's why the rest of the NHL thought that they stupidly overpaid for him.  Hell even Fitz mentioned how he couldn't believe the offer he got for him.

I’m totally disappointed Jack on the 1st line hasn’t worked out. I won’t deny it. But I do think there’s factors that are fair to point out. He’s not playing at his natural position, Nico hasn’t looked right since the injury, and Palms is in the middle of one of his cold streaks.

Coleman has only been in the league for 4 years (he was obviously a late bloomer). And his rookie season he only played in 23 games. So 2 out of 3 years he’s played a full seasons worth of games he’s scored 20+ goals.