GDT: Devils at Ducks, 3/1/2020 8pm Eastern

mfitz804

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

While we are on the topic, I like apples and hate fvcking oranges with a passion. 

Does 22 in 61 games make you a “machine”?

Well, relatively speaking. For him anyway. He couldn’t buy an assist last season. Kind of what Hughes is going through right now actually. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not sure what other option we have, unless we’re buying him out. And as I mentioned previously, that could create a cap floor issue if we don’t add back some salary. 

The whole of possibly needing to get to the cap floor makes me beyond disappointed. Reason being I do think there's something to that - the owners having a lack of  desire to spend.  What's worse when they do spend it's pissing away money (PK, Simmonds, Cory),  They're always in the basement when it comes to cap spending and they don't even do that wisely.

I would offer Cory for a bag of pucks with the max retention.  I doubt you find any fools out there but praying there is one. Keeping him around killing a goalie roster spot makes me ill. Go get a young decent backup who may turn into something if you're convinced Mac is the real deal (I believe he is).  Next year is going to be another year of growing pains imo.  

Going into the following season 21-22 the only forwards as of now under contract are, Nico, Gusev, Gump, Almost and Boqvist. Yes there are some RFA's too. Then there's the D??  I'm not sure I see an end to the rebuild any season soon. 

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Severson had almost 40 points last season. He’s hardly an offensive scrub. 

Zacha has turned into an assist machine this year. But yes, it is surprising. So is the fact that the entire draft class is struggling, so who knows. 

But you didn’t answer my question. Do you think Hughes has a 30 point rookie season if we where stacked like that team was?

Yes.

Hughes should have had 30 points on this team regardless, yet he will likely not.

Edited by DevsMan84

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Well, relatively speaking. For him anyway. He couldn’t buy an assist last season. Kind of what Hughes is going through right now actually. 

lol if 22 assists in 61 games makes you machine then that is the core of the issue.  You, like many other Devils fans, are conditioned to accept mediocrity to decent as star-level talent.

Since 2012, only twice has a player on the Devils hit 60 or more points and only once did a player hit 70 or more points.  No wonder we consider 30-40 point players as machines lol.

10 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

re: Cory

if he's bought out, we go from two more years of $6MM cap hit to 4 more years of $2MM cap hit. this is fine either way.

the last 3 starts have been against some of the worst teams in the league. i don't buy this dead cat bounce for a second. and if he still looks good through the hell schedule that will be march, i still won't believe in him.

the only way i keep him in the plans for next year is if all the UFA goalies scorn the devils (halak, greiss, lehner, khudobin, etc) and the only alternative to keeping cory is kinkaid 2.0 or the like.

re: Hughes

i've stated this previously, but the biggest issue is that he came from USNDP which is clearly an inferior league where bad habits happen. at least 3 times a game, jack tries to skate through 3 or 4 defenders and looks absolutely stupid doing it. watch his highlights from last year - he got away with that all the time. i think its pretty clear that he should've played juniors last year to get a closer idea of what an NHL game was like. and of course, his lack of size is just not something he can overcome right now. nico was similarly smallish but got to play with an MVP, came from juniors, and plays a completely different game.

i'm not ready to call hughes a bust at all - but its clear that there are enough warning signs that we have to be very concerned that this elite talent we hoped we were getting may very well not turn out to be that at all. he's taking the summer off from competition so the devils have to hope that he can add 10-15 lbs of muscle and just get smarter with the NHL game. it sounds trite and "fan like" to say, but you wonder if working with a guy like elias closely and not just on a "here and there" basis couldn't really benefit him.

fitz saying nico and hughes are the pillars for the devils going forward. you hope they are closer to vintage toews/kane than vintage barkov/trochek.

That's exactly the point I am making.  Instead I get told to quit being so pessimistic from the Hughes truthers.

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

He wasn't ranting and raving, but he wasn't happy either.

He did go off about Cammalleri though.

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

LOL!

There's a big difference with being negative towards a very specific situation or topic that you don't agree with. IE. How our GM handled his UFAs in a way I systematically disagreed with. Or getting 2 players I personally didn't like.

For Subban and Cam most people would remember i was not "happy", i said why I wasn't happy. But that i hoped it would work out with the team. Seeing how badly those turned out i could of went on a huge I TOLD YOU so rant and blame the lack of success of the team on them being a cancer or wtv... i never came close to do that.

For both i waited to see what they'd do. As for Lou... well i called that he would let guys walk for nothing almost every time cause that's just systematically how he did things. If i was wrong about it like Daniel was wrong about Shero saying he wouldnt do anything and making sh!t up, then sure. But it wasn't the case. Everything i disagreed with was pretty well documented as fact. it's just something some disagreed with or not.

Compared to posters who are constantly pessimistic about just about everything who will want the whole team fired, every players traded, calling a loss every game etc etc. when the team is losing. That's totally different.

Edited by SterioDesign

6 minutes ago, titans04 said:

The whole of possibly needing to get to the cap floor makes me beyond disappointed. Reason being I do think there's something to that - the owners having a lack of  desire to spend. 

Well, to spend, you have to find guys willing to come here and I suspect that is a larger issue than we know. 

Unless, of course, you just give any RFA's and Rooney huge raises lol. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

So you're saying...he's...ALMOST an assists machine??

2nd on the team after Goose (I know low bar), and he will more than double his number of assists from last year. I guess machine was a bit of a stretch though. 

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

There's a big difference with being negative towards a very specific situation or topic that you don't agree with. IE. How our GM handled his UFAs in a way I systematically disagreed with. Or getting 2 players I personally didn't like.

For Subban and Cam most people would remember i was not "happy", i said why I wasn't happy. But that i hoped it would work out with the team. Seeing how badly those turned out i could of went on a huge I TOLD YOU so rant and blame the lack of success of the team on them being a cancer or wtv... i never came close to do that.

Compared to posters who are constantly pessimistic about just about everything who will want the whole team fired, every players traded, calling a loss every game etc etc. when the team is losing. That's totally different.

oh FFS.  How many times have I posted that I really hope I am wrong about Hughes?  At least 3 or 4 times in the past week.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yes.

Hughes should have had 30 points on this team regardless, yet he will likely not.

Better question, do you think he has a 50 point season if he was centering an MVP form Taylor Hall?

Just now, Nicomo said:

2nd on the team after Goose (I know low bar), and he will more than double his number of assists from last year. I guess machine was a bit of a stretch though. 

I just took it as an opportunity to say almost...I took your point lol. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Better question, do you think he has a 50 point season if he was centering an MVP form Taylor Hall?

I just took it as an opportunity to say almost...I took your point lol. 

Who knows.  He didn't get much time with him and the time he did get I don't recall him lighting it up either.

Frankly, if I had to answer your question with a guess, no.

Edited by DevsMan84

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

lol if 22 assists in 61 games makes you machine then that is the core of the issue.  You, like many other Devils fans, are conditioned to accept mediocrity to decent as star-level talent.

2nd on the team in assists while playing 3rd line and virtually no PP time for the majority of the season...

yeah, I’m just “accepting mediocrity” though by pointing out his jump in production.

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

oh FFS.  How many times have I posted that I really hope I am wrong about Hughes?  At least 3 or 4 times in the past week.

Well my reply to your post was not calling YOU out as much as you seem to think. It was simply a gateway to a general post about simply trying to seek the positive attitude towards something.

Which is why i structured my sentences like "when someone can" bla bla bla and not directed them towards you. 

That being said from memory i do think you're way more pessimistic than optimistic but still, my post was not to call you out

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

2nd on the team in assists while playing 3rd line and virtually no PP time for the majority of the season...

yeah, I’m just “accepting mediocrity” though by pointing out his jump in production.

lol 40 points is mediocre.

Our top player may hit 50-55 points this season.  At the end of the season peek over to the rest of the other teams in the league stats and see how many have their stats leaders at more than 55 points.  Already 6 of the other 7 teams in the Metro have players on their rosters with more than 55 points.

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Exactly! And what did that guy ever do?!? BUST

<-----

<-----

Well he did get to meet Jimmy Leeds at Leeds' kids soccer game.

So there's that!

Edited by Jimmy Leeds
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

lol 40 points is mediocre.

Our top player may hit 50-55 points this season.  At the end of the season peek over to the rest of the other teams in the league stats and see how many have their stats leaders at more than 55 points.  Already 6 of the other 7 teams in the Metro have players on their rosters with more than 55 points.

Here’s just a few notable players (forwards) with less than 40 points right now:

Matt Duchene

Ryan Johansen

Nazem Kadri

Jeff Skinner

Do they all suck, too? Hell, two of them have something in common...

And yes, the Metro is stacked. Best division in the league, by far. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Here’s just a few notable players (forwards) with less than 40 points right now:

Matt Duchene

Ryan Johansen

Nazem Kadri

Jeff Skinner

Do they all suck, too? Hell, two of them have something in common...

And yes, the Metro is stacked. Best division in the league, by far. 

Last two are just decent players.  First two are better, but they are 1) coached by DBA and 2) having off-years.  Even the team they are on, Predators, their top scorer has 60 points already this season.

Meanwhile, our current best player has never topped 57 points.  Johansen has had 57 or more points 4 times in his career as well as Duchene.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Last two are just decent players.  First two are better, but they are 1) coached by DBA and 2) having off-years.  Even the team they are on, Predators, their top scorer has 60 points already this season.

Meanwhile, our current best player has never topped 57 points.  Johansen has had 57 or more points 4 times in his career as well as Duchene.

Right. So we’re in agreement that being coached by Hynes (and Hynes Jr) is a detriment, and that there’s a lack of high end talent surrounding our baby rookie. Seems like we’re not that far apart after all...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Right. So we’re in agreement that being coached by Hynes (and Hynes Jr) is a detriment, and that there’s a lack of high end talent surrounding our baby rookie. Seems like we’re not that far apart after all...

lol yup 3 goals and 7 assists in 33 games since Hynes is fired

vs

4 goals and 7 assists in 24 games with Hynes.

Also forgot to mention Hughes has played a lot more on the top line under Nas than Hynes.

Edited by DevsMan84
It has been 33 and not 31 games since Hynes was fired

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

lol yup 3 goals and 7 assists in 31 games since Hynes is fired

vs

4 goals and 7 assists in 24 games with Hynes.

Yeah, Nas was such a huge upgrade at HC. Can’t believe the guy that scratches Gusev and Bratt, and puts Hughes on the wing hasn’t fixed everything. Lol

People were actually joking about him getting the job before it happened. You can’t make this sh&#33;t up.