GDT: Devils at Vegas, 3/3/2020, 10pm Eastern

mfitz804

14 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Probably a good reminder for everyone to temper their expectations. The team is looking good, and fun to watch again, but that point streak won't last much longer. 

Thanks to reddit for these stats: under Nasreddine the Devils are 10-0-4 against teams who are in the bottom-11 in point percentage. They're 7-14-4 against teams in the top-20 in point percentage.

We only have 1 remaining game against a bottom-11 team.

This is no time for reality. 

28 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Probably a good reminder for everyone to temper their expectations. The team is looking good, and fun to watch again, but that point streak won't last much longer. 

Thanks to reddit for these stats: under Nasreddine the Devils are 10-0-4 against teams who are in the bottom-11 in point percentage. They're 7-14-4 against teams in the top-20 in point percentage.

We only have 1 remaining game against a bottom-11 team.

Yeah I've mentioned it a couple of times, but the schedule is about to get a lot tougher than it's been lately.  And though there's obviously been some pretty good individual offensive performances as of late, the D and head coach still are what they are, more or less.  Not sure how much longer Mac (and now Cory) can be expected to keep covering up for them.  Mac's put up a .950 save% in his last nine starts in going 7-0-2, and Cory is 2-0-1 with a .957 save% since his recall.  Can't imagine that either one of them will keep that up.

Really hope the higher-ups take into account the numbers you just posted if they're even remotely considering Nas as more than an interim.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Vegas has been dominant since the coaching change (mostly because they started getting good goaltending) but they're a dominant 5v5 team.

I expect this one to get ugly.

Sometimes when you get on a little hot streak, you can almost overachieve your way into one or two more wins, but even if that happens tonight, it's hard to imagine that tougher times aren't lying ahead.

I've posted the Devils 17-10-7 record in their last 34.  They now have 17 games left.  Wouldn't surprise me that much if they only won 6 or 7 of those.  But I'd love for them to surprise me (and for some of these guys who've been more productive to keep it up).  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Sorta on-topic.

I am not sure if it was mentioned in the around the NHL thread, but Vegas is changing up their AHL affiliation.  Vegas announced about 4-6 weeks ago that they are severing ties with their AHL affiliate, the Chicago Wolves, at the conclusion of this season.  Shortly after it was announced that Vegas purchased the San Antonio Rampage and are relocating them to Henderson, NV (also in the Vegas valley).  I believe I saw an article that Vegas received approval to move the franchise and will begin operations next season in Henderson.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Sorta on-topic.

I am not sure if it was mentioned in the around the NHL thread, but Vegas is changing up their AHL affiliation.  Vegas announced about 4-6 weeks ago that they are severing ties with their AHL affiliate, the Rockford IceHogs, at the conclusion of this season.  Shortly after it was announced that Vegas purchased the San Antonio Rampage and are relocating them to Henderson, NV (also in the Vegas valley).  I believe I saw an article that Vegas received approval to move the franchise and will begin operations next season in Henderson.

I literally just saw the Ice Hogs play Texas here in Austin and had no idea that was Vega's AHL team. I assumed they didn't have one since their jerseys were Chicago-like but I knew they weren't affiliated with the Blackhawks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I've mentioned it a couple of times, but the schedule is about to get a lot tougher than it's been lately.  And though there's obviously been some pretty good individual offensive performances as of late, the D and head coach still are what they are, more or less.  Not sure how much longer Mac (and now Cory) can be expected to keep covering up for them.  Mac's put up a .950 save% in his last nine starts in going 7-0-2, and Cory is 2-0-1 with a .957 save% since his recall.  Can't imagine that either one of them will keep that up.

Really hope the higher-ups take into account the numbers you just posted if they're even remotely considering Nas as more than an interim.  

Yeah it's Mac. Keep in mind that while the Devils have put up a decent record since Nasreddine took over, they are actually scoring slightly less 5v5 goals per 60 minutes (2.21) than under Hynes (2.27). And since January 1st, the Devils are 27th in the league in that category (2.08). The Devils are not actually scoring goals, the goaltending just got better. To be fair to Nas, he's lost a lot of key pieces along the way, pieces that Hynes had. But he has to give the team a reason to keep him over another coach and he just hasn't done that. If the analytics department has the influence that the media suggested they have when Shero was fired, then Nas will almost certainly not be back. The Devils are giving up the most shot attempts per game at 5v5 and on the whole really haven't generated all that much more offensively than under Hynes - despite a December in which the Devils played faster and started to produce a bit more in terms of quantity and quality. Again, Nas has a minor league defense in front of him but what exactly is the argument he's offering management to keep him on? I can't imagine he's back after a single conversation with Dellow and Cane.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Yeah it's Mac. Keep in mind that while the Devils have put up a decent record since Nasreddine took over, they are actually scoring slightly less 5v5 goals per 60 minutes (2.21) than under Hynes (2.27). And since January 1st, the Devils are 27th in the league in that category (2.08). The Devils are not actually scoring goals, the goaltending just got better. To be fair to Nas, he's lost a lot of key pieces along the way, pieces that Hynes had. But he has to give the team a reason to keep him over another coach and he just hasn't done that. If the analytics department has the influence that the media suggested they have when Shero was fired, then Nas will almost certainly not be back. The Devils are giving up the most shot attempts per game at 5v5 and on the whole really haven't generated all that much more offensively than under Hynes - despite a December in which the Devils played faster and started to produce a bit more in terms of quantity and quality. Again, Nas has a minor league defense in front of him but what exactly is the argument he's offering management to keep him on? I can't imagine he's back after a single conversation with Dellow and Cane.

Devils goalies have combined to put up a .916 save% in their last 34 GP (the primary driver of this 17-10-7 run of respectability).  All four goalies have suited up for this:  Mac's obviously seen the most time and is at .928, Cory is at .918 (buoyed heavily by his last three games), Domingue is at .890 (and had the lousy record you'd expect to go with that...2-5-2), and Senn (in 1+ games) is at .902.  

Prior to that run, Mac (.905), Cory (.852) and Domingue (.862) combined for a .889 mark this season.  There were obviously other issues, but goddamn, factor that in with the .895 team save% from last season...this team never had a chance...that's how you go 40-58-15 from the start of last season through 12/13 this season.  If nothing else, I really hope that kind of extended dreadful netminding (and the overall goaltending numbers obviously much worse if you take out Mac's contributions...he's up to .917 for his career now) is a thing of the past for a while.  

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I literally just saw the Ice Hogs play Texas here in Austin and had no idea that was Vega's AHL team. I assumed they didn't have one since their jerseys were Chicago-like but I knew they weren't affiliated with the Blackhawks. 

My mistake.  I referenced the wrong team.  The Rockford IceHogs was and still is the AHL affiliate of the Chicago Blackhawks.

It's the Chicago Wolves who are the current AHL affiliate of the Vegas Golden Knights until the end of this season.

D'oh!

10 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

My mistake.  I referenced the wrong team.  The Rockford IceHogs was and still is the AHL affiliate of the Chicago Blackhawks.

It's the Chicago Wolves who are the current AHL affiliate of the Vegas Golden Knights until the end of this season.

D'oh!

Oh damn. I guess we were both wrong.

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Oh damn. I guess we were both wrong.

lol maybe I am looking at this wrong, but I find it confusing and silly that the Chicago Wolves are not the affiliate of the Chicago Blackhawks.  I guess they didn't want to cannibalize their fanbases.