GDT: Devils @ Rags 3/7 7PM

Nicomo

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

If there wasn’t a couple really good coaches available like Lav and Gallant I’d say just give Nas a shot, but you have to think those guys are better options. Maybe Nas gets a shot somewhere in the AHL after this run. 

With Bergivan giving Jullien the vote of confidence this week, Gallant is my #1 choice to take over the team.

That's consecutive games, and back-to-back no less, where the Devils outplayed the other team to win the game and didn't just fall back on goaltending. I'm glad they won a couple this way. It feels kind of pointless to win games where the team plays bad - you decrease your lottery odds while showing little progress. These last two wins are something to build on at least.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Immediately after the game ended, Cangi started talking about our playoff position. 

Even Daneyko knew that was ridiculous.

Hate him for that, too! Had me looking at the standings trying to figure out paths to the playoffs before remembering we have ZERO FCKING SHOT. Dammit, Steve

Haven't had so much fun watching the DVR in a while. Had to run away from a few friends who were trying to spoil my night by telling me how the game was going. Would've been nice to put one past queen Henrietta but whatever...two meaningless but very sweet points is better. 

Whatever the case of Nas relying on good goaltending you cannot discard that a) he brought certain amount of stability and calmness into their game b) made adjustments for them be more offensive minded at the expense of giving up more chances but one could argue it utilizes team’a strengths a bit (skating, while giving Blackwood more shots to face doesn’t necessarily mean it’s worse - some goaltenders feed off of that - Varlamov in Colorado few year sfo comes to mind) c) finally Nas is coaching a team compared to beginning of the season not having Hall,  Coleman, healthy Vatanen - and having them doing infinitely better

There could be some playoff talks If we win the next 2 games and depending how the other wild card teams do.... really weird to be saying that considering how this horrible season has gone. But I know it’s far fetched 

Edited by Devils01

1 minute ago, Devils01 said:

There could be some playoff talks If we win the next 2 games and depending how the other wild card teams do.... really weird to be saying that considering how this horrible season went.

Too big of a hole.   Gaining 11 points in the standings in 14 games is nearly impossible with loser points and 4 other teams between us and 8th place.  

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

There could be some playoff talks If we win the next 2 games and depending how the other wild card teams do.... really weird to be saying that considering how this horrible season has gone. But I know it’s far fetched 

Blue jackets clinch play off with 98 points year ago. If devils win all games they have left they will take 96 points. too little too late.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

If there wasn’t a couple really good coaches available like Lav and Gallant I’d say just give Nas a shot, but you have to think those guys are better options. Maybe Nas gets a shot somewhere in the AHL after this run. 

Nas is getting an NHL job, period - assuming this team doesn't collapse down the stretch.  Maybe not this offseason and probably still not with us (unless the owners keep Fitz and he keeps Nas) but he's gonna get some credit for bringing this motley crew back from the dead, putting in more of an actual system and they've had some of their best games the last couple weeks. 

If they do keep up this play the last month of the season it'll be against some tough competition, it already has been this week.

Edited by NJDevs4978

24 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Nas is getting an NHL job, period - assuming this team doesn't collapse down the stretch.  Maybe not this offseason and probably still not with us (unless the owners keep Fitz and he keeps Nas) but he's gonna get some credit for bringing this motley crew back from the dead, putting in more of an actual system and they've had some of their best games the last couple weeks. 

If they do keep up this play the last month of the season it'll be against some tough competition, it already has been this week.

But you then look at a game such as theirs against Vegas the other night.  Is the talent level that much of a discrepancy?

6 hours ago, Devils01 said:

Cangi: They could make the playoffs.

Dano:

6A062AA1-7062-421B-BEE7-75799AF438F7.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ajsgolf said:

But you then look at a game such as theirs against Vegas the other night.  Is the talent level that much of a discrepancy?

1) The Devils will obviously lose some games here and there, regardless of who they’re playing against.

2) It was the last game of a five-game trip. Could be that it just wasn’t their night.

Two things that I was reminded of last night:

Regardless of how relevant the Devils and Rangers are, beating them in any given game never EVER gets old.  Last night was an absolute blast.

The Rangers are becoming the latest team to learn that going on a tear just to begin to sniff a playoff berth usually doesn’t get it done.  You gotta either sustain it for a very long period of time, or find a way to go on another one.  They’re now lost four out of five...those are exactly the kinds of valleys that you can’t afford when you’re in their position.  

And on another note, though the Devils won’t catch the Rangers in the standings, kinda hard to believe that the Devils are only 8 points behind them now.  And tied with them in regulation losses.

• Like 1