GDT: Devils @ Rags 3/7 7PM

Nicomo

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That was like 2000 or 2001.... the Middle Ages lol.

Yeah, it sucks everything from that era looks so old now. Although, that Stevens gif still somehow holds up. probably on shear ferocity lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

I ask this question to the experts on here.............

With this recent surge, is the future not as bleak for the Devils or is all this a mirage?

Good question. 

Generally speaking you don’t dump a bunch of players at the deadline and solve your team’s problems. 

I’m hopeful a coaching change and a good off season makes us look better next season than expected. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, njbuff said:

With this recent surge, is the future not as bleak for the Devils or is all this a mirage?

I think there’s reasons to be cautiously optimistic going forward. This season pretty much everything that could go wrong, did. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Until February. 

Even after that. Nico got hurt against Dallas at the beginning of February, and missed a ton of games. Which really sucked as he was playing great right before that. He hasn’t looked the same since. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Even after that. Nico got hurt against Dallas at the beginning of February, and missed a ton of games. Which really sucked as he was playing great right before that. He hasn’t looked the same since. 

Yeah but if we had been winning games like we have been since February, we’d probably be in the playoffs. Nico being hurt sucked but did it hurt the team’s record? What was our record with him out?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah but if we had been winning games like we have been since February, we’d probably be in the playoffs. Nico being hurt sucked but did it hurt the team’s record? What was our record with him out?

3-2-1. But like I said, he hasn’t been the same since. And it really looked like he was about to break out right before that. So maybe if we had a red hot Nico since January we might be a bubble team right now. 

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

3-2-1. But like I said, he hasn’t been the same since. And it really looked like he was about to break out right before that. So maybe if we had a red hot Nico since January we might be a bubble team right now. 

I guess. That’s not everything that can go wrong going wrong, though. 

imo, the taylor hall stuff ruined the season, probably got hynes and shero fired to.

Maybe for the best though who knows.

The youth on the team catches opponents off gaurd and yes meaningless wins imo

And then theres cory getting the cramps vs jets

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

Devils have been getting mostly lights-out goaltending over this 19-11-7 stretch.  Even Domingue came up with a pair of big performances against two top opponents.

If Blackwood can avoid another slow start (his first 20 GP or so this season were very up-and-down), and the backup can play considerably better than most of what we’ve seen since the start of last year, that’s going to help a ton.

I’m not against Fitz getting the GM gig, but I don’t love the idea of Nas as the permanent head coach.  He’s forcing himself into the mix for next season, but I think the Devils have to keep winning at a solid pace from here on out for him to truly be an option as a candidate.

Devils have picks and money.  Blackwood and Bratt are RFA (Anderson is also due for a new contract), and Goose and Palms will be eligible for extensions ahead of their walk years.  Will be interesting to see what happens with Goose and Palms.  The money is there for multi-year extensions for both.  I won’t be surprised if the Devils try to land a higher-tier UFA, but can’t make it happen.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

at the end of the day we are what our record says we are, (thank you tuna.) a fringe playoff team... Nas cleaned up some major structural issues from the holdover crew.. patience on the breakouts and back checking.. gotta give him some coaching credit

now all we need is net front presence LOL

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Given how we started, fringe playoff team is ok. 

Absolutely. Could be a lot worse. Just look at Detroit. They only have 16 wins right now...

Even if they get Laf, that’s a mess of a team. I don’t think we’re that far off from being competitive. 

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Given how we started, fringe playoff team is ok. 

That's what we were always going to be this year too. I know on paper we made some good moves but if you looked at the team who made the playoffs last year. Not many were going to drop, almost every team got better or stayed the same. The only team that was supposed to drop were Colombus but then that goalie came out of nowhere and even if they have tons of injuries they are doing okay.

Again, slightly too high expectations + a terrible terrible start of the season for just about everyone are easily this season's problem for everyone involved. To me i'm still seeing progress through all that. 

3 hours ago, lazer said:

imo, the taylor hall stuff ruined the season, probably got hynes and shero fired to.

Maybe for the best though who knows.

The youth on the team catches opponents off gaurd and yes meaningless wins imo

And then theres cory getting the cramps vs jets

100%, could not agree more. If Mac Black is the day one starter and the Hall trade happened in the offseason (as it unquestionably should have) this team is in the playoffs

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

100%, could not agree more. If Mac Black is the day one starter and the Hall trade happened in the offseason (as it unquestionably should have) this team is in the playoffs

What about the whole “Fire Hynes” movement, I thought coaching was most of our problem?

Agree on Blackwood, don’t agree on Hall. With the moves the Devils made last offseason, there was no way they were trading Taylor Hall in summer 2019, at least after they made those other moves.

On a somewhat related note, Arizona would not be in the playoffs if they started after today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

What about the whole “Fire Hynes” movement, I thought coaching was most of our problem?

If you go back to the game before hynes is fired, he dropped hall from the 1st line, for the first time. ever.

Maybe doesnt mean much but there is something there. imo

Edit: even if not for the trade looming, he had a rough start this season.

The only goal they could go to highlight was the one heard around the rock.

Edited by lazer

8 minutes ago, CHIP72 said:

Agree on Blackwood, don’t agree on Hall. With the moves the Devils made last offseason, there was no way they were trading Taylor Hall in summer 2019, at least after they made those other moves.

On a somewhat related note, Arizona would not be in the playoffs if they started after today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who were those big moves (Gusev, Subban) made to appease? Taylor Hall. Hall ran his mouth at the beginning of the offseason with the comments of moves needing to be made to show a commitment to winning. After making those moves and Hall still not signing, Ray HAD to trade him. 

Hall supposedly liked Hynes. One of the reasons he wasn’t let go was to appease Hall. 

Hall made this season completely about himself and it showed in games. There was no team effort, no heart, to a man, every player looked disinterested. When he went into training camp without a contract, it was clear as day he was already a walking mercenary. This season was nothing about team success, it was Hall cashing in. His attitude was cancerous. Shero is responsible for the abomination first half of a season. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Who were those big moves (Gusev, Subban) made to appease? Taylor Hall. Hall ran his mouth at the beginning of the offseason with the comments of moves needing to be made to show a commitment to winning. After making those moves and Hall still not signing, Ray HAD to trade him. 

Hall supposedly liked Hynes. One of the reasons he wasn’t let go was to appease Hall. 

Hall made this season completely about himself and it showed in games. There was no team effort, no heart, to a man, every player looked disinterested. When he went into training camp without a contract, it was clear as day he was already a walking mercenary. This season was nothing about team success, it was Hall cashing in. His attitude was cancerous. Shero is responsible for the abomination first half of a season. 

Yup. What sucks is that Shero up until this ONE time always did the right thing and gave his top players an ultimatum in the last offseason before their last season. He had a flawless track record and why I loved him, for that very simple thing, how he handled his UFAs. Wtv non-sense reasons or excuses you can find to justify not doing it. It's the safest way you can assure to either keep your player or get maximum return. Especially for a team rebuilding. Once you take the risk to start the season.. so many things can happen that you have no control over, like injuries, team not performing and souring the players decision to stay, teams who could have potentially give you a lot moved on or they are now in a situation where they wouldnt make the move etc etc and that could potentially fvck you up.

This isn't hindsight 20/20 either. I said the same thing a millions times, also last year with Colombus. I didn't think them going all out was smart at all. Well turns out they are now better than i figured they'd be after losing all those guys for nothing. But fvck if they had that goalie in their pipeline, why the fvck wouldnt you trade bob? I mean they are good now even with all the injuries, but it's undeniable that they'd be a LOT better with the return they could have got for all those guys they lost. It's still a step back.

2 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Blackwood didn't start out too great. He played terrible coming in for Cory in the first game and then got crushed against Buffalo. 7 goals or something? 

It took a little time for him to settle down. 

He's pretty much been the starter though once it became apparent that Cory wasn't recovered. Mac played 6 of 10 in October (including that home opening relief appearance), and then 12 of 15 in November. 

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yup. What sucks is that Shero up until this ONE time always did the right thing and gave his top players an ultimatum in the last offseason before their last season. He had a flawless track record and why I loved him, for that very simple thing, how he handled his UFAs. Wtv non-sense reasons or excuses you can find to justify not doing it. It's the safest way you can assure to either keep your player or get maximum return. Especially for a team rebuilding. Once you take the risk to start the season.. so many things can happen that you have no control over, like injuries, team not performing and souring the players decision to stay, teams who could have potentially give you a lot moved on or they are now in a situation where they wouldnt make the move etc etc and that could potentially fvck you up.

This isn't hindsight 20/20 either. I said the same thing a millions times, also last year with Colombus. I didn't think them going all out was smart at all. Well turns out they are now better than i figured they'd be after losing all those guys for nothing. But fvck if they had that goalie in their pipeline, why the fvck wouldnt you trade bob? I mean they are good now even with all the injuries, but it's undeniable that they'd be a LOT better with the return they could have got for all those guys they lost. It's still a step back.

That wasn't his only mistake. You keep trying to hammer this flawless way to never lose a UFA but it's an incredibly narrow view that leads to endless asset procurement