NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

54 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I've been told that I don't have the right to have an opinion on this cause i live in Canada but what can i do... i have one.

I truly feel like the Marilyn Monroe quote applies here... "If you can't handle me at my worst ... you don't deserve me at my best."

From that angle a lot of fans here would not deserve the joy they'll get when this team is finally competitive again

The difference is the guy is throwing thousands of dollars at the team year after year. Regardless of them not being competitive. Way different in my book than guys like me that just turn the channel more often than not when sh!t goes sideways.

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't have a problem with the question. I generally save the buybacks for games that interfere with the Red Bulls (depending on which game is more important) and sometimes I have other conflicts that simply come up across the year. I love the buyback feature and I hate that they are lowering it from 8 to 6 games next year. I'm trying to fight the team on that since I really don't use any of the other perks that they give. 

I get for the whole year it would be a fair question for someone not as familiar with you, but he phrased it more or less in a unneccesarily snarky way consistent with his posting history IMO.  If you didn't take offense that's fine, I won't draw this out except to say if he thinks I'm angry when he's the one that's been screaming alternative facts throughout this thread then again, he's just looking for reactions.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I work for an IT reseller of both software and hardware.  Over the past 1-2 weeks we have seen a huge spike in what can be described as panic-buying.  Example is an order for 300 laptops have suddenly turned into 900 laptops.  This is stemming from companies rushing to equip their workforce for the eventuality of having to work from home for an extended period of time.  I have never seen anything like that in my 12 years at my company.

This virus is really weird.  I looked at the European cases vs fatality rate earlier this morning and frankly it is all over the place.  I am seeing a 6-7% fatality rate in Italy but a less than 1% fatality rate in Germany.  Either they have different strains, different demographics, different levels of healthcare or a mix of all.  All I know is that this virus spreads like wildfire and to say I am a bit concerned about my 79 and 76-year old parents is a understatement.

Same activity boost here, we have had to suddenly boost remote mobility capability by almost 300% in weeks to keep the medical staff going. It has been madness and most of us are exhausted.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I mean it should be obvious why anyone wouldn't want to go to junktime games and just like I knew the answer because of your previous posting history (plus plain logic) I could see the snark from his posting history.  If he thinks I'm angry when he's the one that's been all over this thread screaming alternative facts at everyone then again, he's just looking for reactions.  He even has a thread title on the main forum page quasi-making light of prior contreversy he's caused.

I get for the whole year it would be a fair question for someone not as familiar with you, but the way he phrased it more or less accused you of not being a real fan.

I hear ya, I'm also one who doesn't really give a sh!t what anyone else thinks about me either so I don't take many things personally lol

We have all experienced some really bad seasons together on this board but I think this one easily tops it for me. 

• Like 1

On top of the people or teams I feel bad for in a sports sense, it just had to be the season where Rutgers broke out in the Big Ten and was finally about to make the NCAA's again where sports stopped right on the doorstep of the tournament.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 3

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

On top of the people I feel bad for in a sports sense, it just had to be the season where Rutgers broke out in the Big Ten and was finally about to make the NCAA's again where this happened.

First time in the tournament in 30 years. Unbelievable.

37 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Same activity boost here, we have had to suddenly boost remote mobility capability by almost 300% in weeks to keep the medical staff going. It has been madness and most of us are exhausted.

Had the same situation when I joined S&P about 4 months before Sandy.  The only people that even had laptops was the very Sr IT team and Sr Executives that would never use them anyway.  We continued to point out what a risk it was and they basically ignored it because of the cost of outfitting a thousands of people with laptops.  We sure enough Sandy hits and the company was brought to its knees.  As product development and all the US IT support org sat around with their thumbs up their collective asses only then we got the money to start ordering thousands of laptops which we need yesterday. A complete sh!tshow.  There were teams walking up 50 flights of steps dragging down desktops on their backs for weeks.  The building in NYC was down for 4+ months. It truly is amazing they survived.  It's hard to understand how companies in this day and age to plan for disaster recovery type situations.  Yes I fully understand it doesn't work for every job and co, but for most corps it does.

To my brothers in IT and IT management hang tough through these chaotic times when sh!t hits the fan. 

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I get for the whole year it would be a fair question for someone not as familiar with you, but he phrased it more or less in a unneccesarily snarky way consistent with his posting history IMO.  If you didn't take offense that's fine, I won't draw this out except to say if he thinks I'm angry when he's the one that's been screaming alternative facts throughout this thread then again, he's just looking for reactions.

Also known as “facts” and “common sense”. Sorry you lack both, skippy. 

24 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

On top of the people or teams I feel bad for in a sports sense, it just had to be the season where Rutgers broke out in the Big Ten and was finally about to make the NCAA's again where sports stopped right on the doorstep of the tournament.

How about my dayton flyers?  Number two in the country as a small A10 team..  the kids were a 1 seed first time since 1950s... and obi topin will be drafted so that's it..  

12 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Wow even Disney World is closing, you know it's bad when this happens. I think it's only like a bunch of times it's ever happened... 

read earlier where they have already said they will continue to pay their employees throughout the closure period. Good on them.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2020 at 8:06 PM, Devils Pride 26 said:

The panic is ridiculous. Absolutely insane 

This is a case where the only way to know if these measures will have been necessary will be to not take them, see if things turn into a wild pandemic like what happened during the Spanish flu of 1918-1920/21 and then we can look back and say what we should have done.  Or we can take those precautions with the knowledge that it might be an over-reaction but it might also save lives, perhaps millions.

As for me, I look at this as an historian first and foremost.  History is littered with examples of times when precautions would have saved lives, stemmed the advance of diseases, and change the path of history itself.  But you cannot know that until later.  Some people are arguing that all of this isn’t necessary because Coronavirus isn’t as deadly as the flu.... but which flu is that exactly?  The  Spanish flu pandemic ended up infecting 1/4 of entire planet’s population!  Of those perhaps as many as 1 in 5 died, perhaps fewer.  Or maybe it is more similar to a more mild strain of flu.  Either way, you’re playing with fire and simply saying things like “it is less deadly than the flu” is showing a degree of dangerous ignorance.

As for the idea that this is a mass panic, I don’t feel like most people are panicking.  The surest way to stop transmittable diseases from spreading is to stop the thing that carries it: people.  Stop people from moving around and you isolate the disease.  There are thousands of examples where this would have worked in history.  For the first time in history we are doing this and people are calling it a bad idea.  Why?  Because you will lose some money or some hockey games?  In the end it may be that we are doing more than is necessary, but I don’t think I will be betting my life, or yours, on that.  If sacrificing things like the rest of the NHL season is the price to pay then okeedokee, let’s pay it.

And no, I don’t think we are going to starve folks.  It is possible to keep society functioning with its essentials and cull non essentials.... although this might not be the right place to argue that hockey is a non essential.  😉

I’ll step off my soapbox now....

Edited by AEWHistory
  • Like 4

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Tell that to the people in the supermarket tonight. Bunch of savages in this town!

Fair enough, I didn’t say nobody was panicking.... there will always be some mouth breathers who think that they’ve got the last loaf of bread humanity will ever make.  For those folks, yea you got no argument from me.  Frankly, those folks irritate the hell outta me because they’re the ones who also turn every flake of snow into the end times as well.  But that’s another subject, eh?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

F2730CD8-4338-4475-B436-31C7DEE4816E.jpeg

I couldn’t just give you a reaction, I had to say this: I damn near woke up my kids just now laughing so hard at this pic.  Damn you!  

Edit:  wait, are the oranges and berry crunch included?  I may make an offer.

Edited by AEWHistory
Question
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AEWHistory said:

Fair enough, I didn’t say nobody was panicking.... there will always be some mouth breathers who think that they’ve got the last loaf of bread humanity will ever make.  For those folks, yea you got no argument from me.  Frankly, those folks irritate the hell outta me because they’re the ones who also turn every flake of snow into the end times as well.  But that’s another subject, eh?

It’s a little bit the same subject, but that’s fine. I saw one lady buying 6 12 packs of toilet paper. Me and another guy were staring in amazement, and when she left, he asked me “How much is she planning to sh!t?”, to which I replied “I don’t know, but it’s always good to have a plan”. We laughed. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Tell that to the people in the supermarket tonight. Bunch of savages in this town!

Speaking of Clerks, I have tickets to the Horrorhound convention in Cincinnati for next weekend, and ofc there’s a bunch of people I wanted to meet this year, including Kevin Smith, Jason Mewes, Brian O’Halloran and Jeff Anderson. And for some inexplicable reason it’s not been canceled or postponed yet. Even though our governor is putting a mandate on sporting events, parades, etc. I don’t think I’ll go either way at this point. I know this stuff is trivial in the grand scheme of things, but it still sucks. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Speaking of Clerks, I have tickets to the Horrorhound convention in Cincinnati for next weekend, and ofc there’s a bunch of people I wanted to meet this year, including Kevin Smith, Jason Mewes, Brian O’Halloran and Jeff Anderson. And for some inexplicable reason it’s not been canceled or postponed yet. Even though our governor is putting a mandate on sporting events, parades, etc. I don’t think I’ll go either way at this point. I know this stuff is trivial in the grand scheme of things, but it still sucks. 

My favorite movie of the 90’s probably. Sorry to hear you’ll miss out on that. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

both Smith and Mewes doesnt have the best health so i'd play it safe if i was them really