NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Just got the word.  I am to work from home through 3/27.

Good news that you are still working. I am hoping once we get these last few tele-medicine systems up our office goes remote also. It is wild driving into work with ~40% of the usual traffic volume.

55 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Good news that you are still working. I am hoping once we get these last few tele-medicine systems up our office goes remote also. It is wild driving into work with ~40% of the usual traffic volume.

I do a 4-5 mi speedwalk every morning before work.  Sometimes I do it near my home (Clinton), and other times near my work (Hillsborough).  I start my workday at 8 am and take Route 22 to 28 to 206 to get there.

The main “disadvantage” of doing my speedwalk close to home is that my commute to work would be much more traffic-laden at 7:10 am than at 6:10 am.  Now at 7:10, it’s even lighter than it used to be at 6:10.  The overall volume feels like about 30% of what it once was...maybe even less.  It’s very eerie and it’s very weird.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Just got the word.  I am to work from home through 3/27.

I got the word today too that all non-essential personnel are to work from home too. No return date specified.  Not sure if I'm considered essential being in IT, probably , but I can do basically everything remotely, so I'm not planning to go in as of now.  I also just found a way to make our IP phones able to work from home without requiring a small vpn router, which is awesome.  That was a huge challenge for us as the only real option was we had was forwarding office extensions to cell phones, but our doctors don't want to call patients and have their personal cell numbers visible, and also some patients don't take calls if the number is blocked, or shows as one from another area code.

5 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

Oddly enough I haven't seen much of a reduction in traffic, which has been a pain.  Some, but not a lot.  Then again, I'm in Florida, and officials here haven't mandated many closings, not to mention there's still probably lots of tourist traffic around.  

39 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Our flying hour windows have been cut in half so the drone of planes flying overhead here is next to none. It’s really creepy.

That and base is about 1/4 manned to limit exposure.

When life eventually returns to "normal", it will be interesting to see how many former daily commuters who were forced to work from home (and able to do so effectively and with no real consequences to their performance) will then insist that they should be able to do it either full- or part-time from that point on.  My brother works for Citigroup in NYC, and he said that both he and many of his colleagues were definitely thinking about that possibility once it was announced that they would be working from home for the foreseeable future...if they could later parlay that into "We really don't need to show up every friggin' day of the work week!"  

Though the current traffic volume will obviously blow back up here in NJ in time, there's a part of me that wonders if it will only be 85 - 90% of the pre-corona volume.  Or even a little less.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

When life eventually returns to "normal", it will be interesting to see how many former daily commuters who were forced to work from home (and able to do so effectively and with no real consequences to their performance) will then insist that they should be able to do it either full- or part-time from that point on.  My brother works for Citigroup in NYC, and he said that both he and many of his colleagues were definitely thinking about that possibility once it was announced that they would be working from home for the foreseeable future...if they could later parlay that into "We really don't need to show up every friggin' day of the work week!"  

Though the current traffic volume will obviously blow back up here in NJ in time, there's a part of me that wonders if it will only be 85 - 90% of the pre-corona volume.  Or even a little less.  

I think this whole thing is going to teach a lot about what is actually a necessity and what we just do because “that’s the way it is”

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think this whole thing is going to teach a lot about what is actually a necessity and what we just do because “that’s the way it is”

For sure, I think there will be a LOT of re-assessing about the "old" world as we slowly get used to our new existence.  I'm not so sure that we'll jump right back into "business as usual" when we finally get past this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For sure, I think there will be a LOT of re-assessing about the "old" world as we slowly get used to our new existence.  I'm not so sure that we'll jump right back into "business as usual" when we finally get past this.

If we were better equipped, working from home would entirely be possible for us minus flying days. But we’re at the mercy of the almighty dollar and bureaucratic paperwork and red tape.

it just took me 45 minutes to just check my work email and I couldn’t even read half of them.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The older generations need to be out of the work force and not in charge anymore before that happens. 

It also is greener by reducing emissions and the need for gas for cars. 

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The negative to that is if they discover you don't need to be physically present to do your job they'll be able to replace you with someone cheaper much easier.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MB3 said:

I live in Vero Beach, where traffic has gone significantly *up* because all of the snowbirds decided to extend their stay or return to their winter house to "avoid" the disease. All they're doing is bringing it all back down to florida, which is woefully incapable of handling that demand. 

It's ruthless, but I think Florida should say "if you're sick while you're here and you don't have a Florida license, you don't get a bed if a floridian is in more need." These selfish old fvcks are putting everyone else at risk to slightly mitigate their own. They're not quarantining -- they're lounging around the country club (which I can see from my bedroom window), they're going to bi-weekly trivia night at the local bars, they're flooding the restaurants. My wife is immunocompromised and I swear to god if she even starts to sniffle, I'm about to go outside and make a sport out of running these cvnts off the road. 

Yeah, there were quite a few people around here still going to beaches and doing regular congregating activities - they just closed the beaches here in Manatee and Sarasota county where I live, so that will probably stop soon.  I went to Firehouse for lunch yesterday and all of their chairs were on top of their tables and pushed into a corner, and while they were still open and taking orders, there were only about 3 or 4 people including myself in there.  All of the regular "common items" such as cups, straws, napkins, etc, were piled on a table and neatly arranged - you could tell they were making an effort to be cleanly, while still operating and serving customers.  I went to Lowes after that to get a few things, and there were even more people casually shopping and browsing the store - not an overwhelming amount, and people weren't on top of each other, but it nice, and refreshing, to see people behaving civilly, living their lives, while still being 'smart', or rather, just practicing common sense.  

Thankfully I haven't run into too many idiots like you described who are ignoring everything and being pretty selfish. 

I think, if everyone is able to pretty much stay inside and/or significantly reduce their social interactions over the next 1-2 weeks, that we'll have helped reduce the spread, and thereby contain this thing, and that there's a chance life could start going back to normal in a month or so.  It's going to suck, because it will be very boring, and lonely, and more importantly, many industries will suffer, but two weeks goes by fast, and in the end we'll look back months from now and hardly remember the time we had to find a way to occupy our time and keep ourselves busy for a short while.  

I think there should be a drop dead date like May 31st. If there's no sign of Covid19 sliding on the downside of the bump, kill '19-'20 altogether..

Might be an interesting draft. Wonder what it might look like without kids/folks in the stands,  & no one (teams) on the draft floor? They'll figure out a way to do it.

34 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Might be an interesting draft. Wonder what it might look like without kids/folks in the stands,  & no one (teams) on the draft floor? They'll figure out a way to do it.

Or it could be a very boring draft that we see none of and its just done in private and we get Twitter updates. 

11 hours ago, andy said:

The negative to that is if they discover you don't need to be physically present to do your job they'll be able to replace you with someone cheaper much easier.

Not necessarily the case, if your experience and simple brain-power are considered to be that invaluable, and your company decides they'd rather keep you than lose you.  But it will definitely be a case-by-case basis, and I'm sure quite a few of those cases will result in either someone leaving or getting fired.  Some of the people who are now working from home and doing just fine with that arrangement and haven't missed a beat are certain to dig in their heels and say "Why should I have to spend this much time out of my day and this much money commuting when I've shown that I can do just as well from my home?  If anything I can dedicate MORE time to work because now I don't have to waste time going to a building that I don't need to go to...hell, NEVER needed to go to!  At the very least, I shouldn't have to come in more than once or twice a week."        

8 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Two major things for this area announced... 

Yet, construction are deemed essential and allowed to proceed... even if 98% or more of those projects right now are not emergency... 

Edited by Cachorro Louco

Quarantine Public Service Announcement:

If you have animals such as dogs, and you leave them outside all day And let them bark relentlessly, I will wish a tiny paper cut at the opening of your pee-hole that will never heal and each time you urinate it feels like you’re pissing salt water. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Quarantine Public Service Announcement:

If you have animals such as dogs, and you leave them outside all day And let them bark relentlessly, I will wish a tiny paper cut at the opening of your pee-hole that will never heal and each time you urinate it feels like you’re pissing salt water. 

Regarding my neighbor’s six kids, same thing. 

• Like 1