NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

Now I'm just confused... 

Abbey had wrote that they weren't actually losing any money, just was being deferred to cut for a few months until July. Was she just completely wrong here then? I don't understand the need to apologize for getting it wrong as Josh said if this was the plan... 

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nhl/devils/2020/03/23/coronavirus-nj-devils-76-ers-temporarily-reducing-staff-salaries/2904749001/

"The difference will be paid beginning in July and moving forward throughout the calendar year." 

Reading the news is becoming more and more frustrating. Gone are the days where news outlet would simply "report" news. Now it's all about pushing wtv agenda they have.

Leaving out details, twisting facts, making sh!t up literally. It sucks cause you basically need to be aware of each news outlet's agenda/bias so you can take it with a grain of salt. 

25 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Alright, I buy that. Apologies.

To be clear, I wasn't offended at all when I responded to you.  Was just pointing out that under very difficult circumstances, I don't think ownership was doing anything out of line...and even then, they did what they really didn't have to, and reversed their decision. 

I just think people tend to jump on "rich people" very quickly sometimes, and often unfairly...not knocking you specifically, just the general attitude that very wealthy people must be greedy misers.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Reading the news is becoming more and more frustrating. Gone are the days where news outlet would simply "report" news. Now it's all about pushing wtv agenda they have.

Leaving out details, twisting facts, making sh!t up literally. It sucks cause you basically need to be aware of each news outlet's agenda/bias so you can take it with a grain of salt. 

Yup. You have to wait until the actual person puts out an actual statement. 

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:
Ohhhh I see it now, Abbey removed it and put this in there...

"An earlier version of the story stated that the company intended to repay the difference. However, the a Devils' spokesperson said the company did not make that promise."

She did what sadly a lot of reporters do now these days; release reports based on someone else's reports without fact-checking.  This is usually spurred by the need of being early on the scoop.

FWIW I remember the days of when breaking news with the Devils would happen and TG would tweet that he heard the news, but that he was purposefully delaying releasing an article on it or commenting on it until he gets more information from his own sources.

TG was surely a gem.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yup. You have to wait until the actual person puts out an actual statement. 

Even then. How often do i see claims of stuff being said. I got on snopes or wtv do my research and they never said that or it's taken wayyyyyyy out of context

21 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Now I'm just confused... 

Abbey had wrote that they weren't actually losing any money, just was being deferred to cut for a few months until July. Was she just completely wrong here then? I don't understand the need to apologize for getting it wrong as Josh said if this was the plan... 

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nhl/devils/2020/03/23/coronavirus-nj-devils-76-ers-temporarily-reducing-staff-salaries/2904749001/

"The difference will be paid beginning in July and moving forward throughout the calendar year." 

Nicely done on their part in the end if this is their final decision here.  I do think they made a mistake that lead up to the change of heart.  Somewhat hard to believe there's hourly 1500 employees ties to the org seems  high and I would of never guessed it.  Good on Harris.

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I just think people tend to jump on "rich people" very quickly sometimes, and often unfairly...not knocking you specifically, just the general attitude that very wealthy people must be greedy misers.  

Yeah this seems to be a new thing that more and more people are jumping on the bandwagon for.

Typically it's always the typical people playing the victims or snowflakes going for that. Blaming others for their lack of success.

I mean most of the times billionaires are people who sacrificed a LOT, they invested in themselves for years, more often than not it's an inspirational story. They have incredible pressure on them often having an insane amount of people depending on them. They mostly made the right decisions or paid the price for the wrong ones. Work is on their minds 24/7. So sorry Karen if you feel Jeff Bezos is making too much money and that you're not making enough. Maybe you should have taken a risk and started an online book store decades ago instead of settling for wtv job you got.

I actually saw an article like 2 days ago suggesting that there shouldn't be any billionaires. That they should cap off at right before the billion and that all the extra money should go to some charities or wtv. I mean? wtf? lol him having more or less money is NOT affecting your income at all. There's a system in place, we all know what it is. You usually know how much money you can potentially make at the end of that path, your decision.

Where i live in New-Brunswick. The Irving family basically owns everything and fishermen's are making a killing too. And obviously a bunch of people keep sh!tting on them because they get a tax break or something and they think it's unfair cause they are rich. But imagine for a second that they would leave or that the business would fail? How many people would suddenly be out of a job and the economy would crash.

Someone once told me, if you don't like your boss or think he's paid too much and you're not paid enough. It's easy. Quit and start your own company where YOU'LL be the one making all that big money. You'll see it's not that easy and not as fun as it looks. 

Edited by SterioDesign

5 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Nicely done on their part in the end if this is their final decision here.  I do think they made a mistake that lead up to the change of heart.  Somewhat hard to believe there's hourly 1500 employees ties to the org seems  high and I would of never guessed it.  Good on Harris.

If that figure is between the Devils and the Sixers, I could see how that’s possible. 

I’m glad they’re all getting paid. I have questions about any business that’s already laying people off or not paying people. I mean, it’s been a few days, if your business already has to stop paying people, you’re in bad shape.

Of course, there’s plenty of people (restaurant servers, people who cut hair, etc) who just don’t get paid if they aren’t working. I feel bad for folks in that boat. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To be clear, I wasn't offended at all when I responded to you.  Was just pointing out that under very difficult circumstances, I don't think ownership was doing anything out of line...and even then, they did what they really didn't have to, and reversed their decision. 

I was reacting to SD, no one else. All is well now... well minus being exhausted and knowing I’m going home to at least one throwing up toddler.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I have questions about any business that’s already laying people off or not paying people. I mean, it’s been a few days, if your business already has to stop paying people, you’re in bad shape.

This isn't a normal case of shutting down for a few days and not being able to pay your employees, it's looking like possibly a lot more weeks and possibly even months which affects income coming in for any business as a whole. With somethings completely shut down right near it changes everything. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

If that figure is between the Devils and the Sixers, I could see how that’s possible. 

I’m glad they’re all getting paid. I have questions about any business that’s already laying people off or not paying people. I mean, it’s been a few days, if your business already has to stop paying people, you’re in bad shape.

Of course, there’s plenty of people (restaurant servers, people who cut hair, etc) who just don’t get paid if they aren’t working. I feel bad for folks in that boat. 

i own a business and as soon as we were told that we could not accept retail traffic, we furloughed certain employees that would have nothing to do (think cashiers, greeters, etc) with no traffic. and it's not that we're in bad shape if we paid these people with drastically reduced revenue for a week or two. it's that we'd be in big trouble if we kept paying them for two months. but, we also paid out all paid time off and sick. So anyone furloughed doesn't see any difference in their next two checks which will essentially cover the next 6 weeks. we did this so after 6 weeks, they can immediately get unemployment with no two week wait time from when they were furloughed. and they are all welcome to come back at their exact salary the day that we are allowed to accept walk in traffic.

and i'm in a business that, theoretically, if you don't buy it from me today, you can buy it from me in a month because you're going to need it eventually. but for businesses like food, or events, or things that if it's not bought today, its never bought - those are where you have to cut the cord on employees quickly. and even if you have a war chest, it's really not meant for things like this that are no fault of your own and especially when the government is coming to help you out.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

i own a business and as soon as we were told that we could not accept retail traffic, we furloughed certain employees that would have nothing to do (think cashiers, greeters, etc) with no traffic. and it's not that we're in bad shape if we paid these people with drastically reduced revenue for a week or two. it's that we'd be in big trouble if we kept paying them for two months. but, we also paid out all paid time off and sick. So anyone furloughed doesn't see any difference in their next two checks which will essentially cover the next 6 weeks. we did this so after 6 weeks, they can immediately get unemployment with no two week wait time from when they were furloughed. and they are all welcome to come back at their exact salary the day that we are allowed to accept walk in traffic.

and i'm in a business that, theoretically, if you don't buy it from me today, you can buy it from me in a month because you're going to need it eventually. but for businesses like food, or events, or things that if it's not bought today, its never bought - those are where you have to cut the cord on employees quickly. and even if you have a war chest, it's really not meant for things like this that are no fault of your own and especially when the government is coming to help you out.

I guess that makes sense. 

Tbh I don’t even see what was so bad about the pay cut to where they had to apologize and do an about face even if it wasn’t being paid back, since they were cutting their ‘highest’ paid employees, these aren’t the people who are living paycheck to paycheck. Sure Harris and Blitzer can absorb the loss better so it’s a chintzy look but the Twitter mob was railing against cuts for VP’s and GM’s as if it was the arena vendors being cut. This wasn’t particularly out of line compared to most other CEO’s like the president of Whole Foods who’s telling his healthy employees to donate their sick days to the sick people instead of just paying for/absorbing the cost of extra sick days himself.

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Tbh I don’t even see what was so bad about the pay cut to where they had to apologize and do an about face even if it wasn’t being paid back, since they were cutting their ‘highest’ paid employees, these aren’t the people who are living paycheck to paycheck. Sure Harris and Blitzer can absorb the loss better but the Twitter mob was railing against cuts for VP’s and GM’s, not the arena vendors. They weren’t laying anyone off or cutting back pay for the out of work ushers.

They were cutting people making as little as $50k a year. That’s people making $960 a week getting cut to about $770. That’s going to be a big deal for people trying to pay their bills. 

Also, it specified at-will employees, meaning employees without a contract, so the GM and probably the other executives aren’t included in that.

Edited by mfitz804

11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It's amazing at how much of a difference it makes in terms of standard of living when you make $50K in NJ versus say in the Mid-West or Carolinas.

For what I paid for my latest home that I bought last June I could live in a house 2-3 times bigger in the Carolinas.

I have one of the smallest houses on my block, I could buy the nicest 5 bed, 5 bath house in North Carolina and have money left over. 

I know this because I have friends who recently did it lol.