NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Was it 92 strike or 95 lockout they got rid of those type of deals?

Was still going on in 1994, so it must have been 1995.  

They were odd...such transactions basically wound up working out like trades, but as the Blues found out when they signed Shanahan, dipping your feet in the Group 1 waters could be risky as hell.  

The Blues final compensation offer was actually not too bad, really...they offered Rod Brind'Amour and Curtis Joseph (I think a pick or two as well).  One of Lou's beefs was that though both players showed promise, neither was proven yet (they had only been in the NHL for two seasons each).  Lou also argued that his team didn't need another goalie.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Was still going on in 1994, so it must have been 1995.  

They were odd...such transactions basically wound up working out like trades, but as the Blues found out when they signed Shanahan, dipping your feet in the Group 1 waters could be risky as hell.  

The Blues final compensation offer was actually not too bad, really...they offered Rod Brind'Amour and Curtis Joseph (I think a pick or two as well).  One of Lou's beefs was that though both players showed promise, neither was proven yet (they had only been in the NHL for two seasons each).  Lou also argued that his team didn't need another goalie.  

Love wondering what could have been if Lou accepted that offer.  For some reason I could see Joseph skipping town as fast as he could.  However, I think Rod would have been a nice addition.  Regardless, I still prefer how history actually went down in the end.

34 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Love wondering what could have been if Lou accepted that offer.  For some reason I could see Joseph skipping town as fast as he could.  However, I think Rod would have been a nice addition.  Regardless, I still prefer how history actually went down in the end.

The ironic thing was people weren't sure at that time how durable Joseph would be long-term...in an era where big goalies like Burke were considered to be the future prototype for goalies, Joseph was seen as undersized (5' 11", 190 lbs).  Think he had missed some games due to injury during his first two years as well.

Of course, starting with his third season, he was a workhorse...he would start 60+ games 10 times in his career (including three 70+ game seasons), and would finish 6th on the all time regular-season games played list for goalies.

I don't think Lou wanted any part of CuJo...Lou knew that he had Brodeur up and coming (drafted him in 1990), and had enough other goalies in house.  He simply didn't need him.  

Rod would have been a fine addition for sure, but yeah, no issues with how it all turned out, heh heh.

One thing to remember about Brind'Amour though...though he went on to have a fine career, he was coming off a very disappointing sophomore campaign...I remember the Blues being kind of down on him, even though he was still very young.  I think in the arbitration hearing, Lou painted Rod as a player that the Blues didn't really want anymore anyway, so were they really giving up that much in their compensation proposal?  Kind of telling that CuJo stayed with the Blues for several more seasons...while Brind'Amour was dealt off to the Flyers.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Lou was a badass, turning down those two players was a boss move and quite obviously contributed to three Cups and a lot of success in the 90's/early 2000's. 

That wasn't even him at his most badass.  When Stevens was initially awarded, he was furious (had just built his dream house in St. Louis, had no reason to want to leave, etc), and he refused to report to the Devils.  Other GMs started badgering Lou about trading him, saying things like "You know he's never going to play for your franchise."  Lou basically told all of them to fvck off, that Stevens was HIS player now and there was no way that he was going to trade him for some package that was bound to be unfair.

Then his own players almost mutinied because Stevens was making a lot more money than many of them.  Lou basically squashed that too.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I’ll tell you what wouldn’t have happened: the Devils winning three Stanley Cups.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That wasn't even him at his most badass.  When Stevens was initially awarded, he was furious (had just built his dream house in St. Louis, had no reason to want to leave, etc), and he refused to report to the Devils.  Other GMs started badgering Lou about trading him, saying things like "You know he's never going to play for your franchise."  Lou basically told all of them to fvck off, that Stevens was HIS player now and there was no way that he was going to trade him for some package that was bound to be unfair.

Then his own players almost mutinied because Stevens was making a lot more money than many of them.  Lou basically squashed that too.  

Very good points. I remember it well, the whole thing and even his first few.....and I mean few games, Stevens seemed really not into it. I'm probably off but that's how I seem to recall it

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Very good points. I remember it well, the whole thing and even his first few.....and I mean few games, Stevens seemed really not into it. I'm probably off but that's how I seem to recall it

Stevens did try to fight the decision, but then had a sudden change of heart (maybe because he simply realized that what was done was done) and came in with the best attitude that he could have, given the circumstances.  But yeah, wouldn’t have surprised me if he was still shell-shocked for a bit.  

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Stevens did try to fight the decision, but then had a sudden change of heart (maybe because he simply realized that what was done was done) and came in with the best attitude that he could have, given the circumstances.  But yeah, wouldn’t have surprised me if he was still shell-shocked for a bit.  

IIRC, I think the players that revolted on the Stevens decision was Muller, Daneyko and I think MacLean (I might be wrong on him).  Muller was immediately shipped off to MTL while I think Daneyko was a holdout for a little bit as well.

8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

IIRC, I think the players that revolted on the Stevens decision was Muller, Daneyko and I think MacLean (I might be wrong on him).  Muller was immediately shipped off to MTL while I think Daneyko was a holdout for a little bit as well.

It was a lot of guys (some more than others)...I remember Driver chirping as well and saying something to the effect of "A lot of guys aren't happy right now." 

Lou kind of did screw Muller a bit...apparently he had told Muller not to worry about his goal totals, and then when it came time to negotiate his contract, it was "But you only scored 19 goals this season."  Not like Lou couldn't be a d!ck when he really wanted to be.  

On 5/20/2020 at 9:40 AM, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Very good article on the Athletic about the options to restart the season. None of them involve the Devil's which is unsurprising . 

The talk of a 24 team format with a 5 game round robin league has been talked about a lot. The Athletic article does a good job of showing why this would be incredibly unfair on teams in a playoff spot but would directly benefit three huge markets in terms of making the playoffs. 

Currently the Rangers, Habs and Blackhawks all have less than a 10% chance of making the playoffs (I think Montreal is actually nearly 0%). In the new format that jumps to 40% which is incredibly unfair. 

A 20 team format with a 4 game round robin before the playoffs seems far fairer to me. 

Apparently,  the players association is having a 7:00 conference call tonight about this format 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

Apparently,  the players association is having a 7:00 conference call tonight about this format 

Wonderful. Love how no one seems to care about de-valuing what it means to win the Stanley Cup. The asterisk will be so big it’ll take up half of the winning team’s engraving. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Wonderful. Love how no one seems to care about de-valuing what it means to win the Stanley Cup. The asterisk will be so big it’ll take up half of the winning team’s engraving. 

Bro, there's money to be made

1 hour ago, Guadana said:

If devils had won pens game...

It's funny, we don't deserve to be in the playoffs and with 14 games left the chances of us sneaking in were extremely slim, but of course the world would get turned upside down and then when the season resumes they institute a 24 team playoff and it just so happens that we're tied for 25th place in the league. 

I'm not happy about this 24-team format, but I'll take hockey back because the sport is great even if it's not in the format that we love the most.

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It's funny, we don't deserve to be in the playoffs and with 14 games left the chances of us sneaking in were extremely slim, but of course the world would get turned upside down and then when the season resumes they institute a 24 team playoff and it just so happens that we're tied for 25th place in the league. 

I'm not happy about this 24-team format, but I'll take hockey back because the sport is great even if it's not in the format that we love the most.

All this will do is serve to entertain bored people for a month. I won’t consider whoever wins a legit Cup champion. Giant asterisk.

With this proposed 24-team playoff format, has there been any word on the implications of conditional draft picks?

If the Coyotes beat the Preds in what may be some kind of best-of-5 play-in series, does that count as winning a playoff round and thus turning the 2021 3rd rounder into a 2nd?

Vancouver makes the cut here, does that technically mean they are in the playoffs and thus we get their 2020 1st rounder?

Would think the answer to these would be "yes" but who knows, maybe the league will decide these aforementioned playoff parameters only kick in once we reach the traditional round of 16 teams?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

All this will do is serve to entertain bored people for a month. I won’t consider whoever wins a legit Cup champion. Giant asterisk.

For sure.  I think this whole season, for all sports, will be looked at differently, and rightfully so.  I mean, there's just no real comparison to anything anyone's ever gone through before.  Even in past lockout-shortened seasons, those seasons were at least played consecutively.  With this, 80% of the season was played, then stopped for 2-3 months, then resumed at a point where they immediately start playoffs, with an expanded field.  

One thing I don't understand, and maybe this is covered in some of the articles which I admittedly didn't read, but in a situation where it's hard to bring teams/players back into arenas and facilitating games....why are we EXPANDING the field rather than either keeping it the way it is (16 teams), or even shortening it?  That doesn't make sense to me.  What's the logic behind that?  16, or maybe even 12 or 10 would mean less games, less traveling, less arenas to clean and prep, etc etc.... no?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don't think the level of legitimacy of this Cup win is going to matter much, in the long run...your first sentence sums up exactly what the NHL (and other leagues) getting started up again means for people.  It's more about one more step being taken towards some degree of "old" normal, than results and how to measure this championship against others.

When you come right down to it, this whole fvcking YEAR will have a giant asterisk next to it...for damned near ALL things.  

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't think the level of legitimacy of this Cup win is going to matter much, in the long run.

Totally disagree. This will forever be known as the Covid Cup. It will be looked back on and mocked. If I was a franchise that has never won a Cup, I wouldn’t wanna win my first this way. 

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Totally disagree. This will forever be known as the Covid Cup. It will be looked back on and mocked. If I was a franchise that has never won a Cup, I wouldn’t wanna win my first this way. 

I also can't see any city allowing a massive parade and gathering to celebrate the cup even if things are all trending in a good direction everywhere in terms of the virus. 

• Like 2