NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

13 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I also can't see any city allowing a massive parade and gathering to celebrate the cup even if things are all trending in a good direction everywhere in terms of the virus. 

No chance. We are a long way off from parades.

Devils should not accept anything less than the # 10 overall pick for the Coyotes.  By them "making the playoffs" they have the chance of moving up significantly, therefore affecting our pick number.  I hope the devils argue this and it is addressed.

• Like 2

Just now, CMONPETEYD said:

Devils should not accept anything less than the # 10 overall pick for the Coyotes.  By them "making the playoffs" they have the chance of moving up significantly, therefore affecting our pick number.  I hope the devils argue this and it is addressed.

It would affect the Vancouver pick as well. Pretty sure they’d be in in this stupid scenario.

2 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

Yep - 100 % true.  Now lets say they both lose in the play in round, I guess that could benefit us significantly, no?

I imagine it would.... the earlier they’re eliminated the better the picks. So hopefully they both get annihilated.

32 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Totally disagree. This will forever be known as the Covid Cup. It will be looked back on and mocked. If I was a franchise that has never won a Cup, I wouldn’t wanna win my first this way. 

You misunderstood.  I'm not saying this Cup will ever be seen as "equal" or "legit" as other Cups...that wasn't my point at all.  Or that the team that wins it will necessarily enjoy the same bragging rights as teams who won previously (even those that won in lockout-shortened seasons...I've never really seen anyone outside of idiot Ranger fans try to call the 1995 Cup a "Half-Cup", and even then there really weren't many of them that tried to make that crap stick).  

I think people like the idea of getting back some degree of what they enjoy, even if it's pretty bastardized.  Like I said, your first sentence in your previous post summed it up.  It's a diversion, something for people to enjoy, a step towards old normal.  I get that not everyone will be on board with it...to be quite honest, I probably won't watch much of it all, but if the Devils were gong to be a part of it, I definitely would.   

The above being said, nmig raises some legit questions, and I feel like they really need to be answered.  

• Like 1

I don’t know how anyone can complain about asterisks on a Cup when we’re still deciding games with a skills competition. If that’s “part of the game”, so’s this. Teams will play the playoffs and someone will win. I’m not going to say it’s not legit because they played a handful less games. 

Especially when people still complain about our Cup in 95 because it was a half season. 

They play the games the league gives them to play. The winner wins. Simple as that. 

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

If I was a franchise that has never won a Cup, I wouldn’t wanna win my first this way. 

I think they’d just want to win. See my note about the 95 Cup above. Are you upset as a fan that we won our first cup “that way”?

1 hour ago, CMONPETEYD said:

Yep - 100 % true.  Now lets say they both lose in the play in round, I guess that could benefit us significantly, no?

If it goes through, and it means that Arizona and Vancouver are deemed to be "playoff teams," it benefits the Devils, or at least there's enough of a chance that it does over the status quo that it's preferable.

The best case scenario, which is quite possible, is that Arizona and Vancouver lose in the first round of whatever it is.  Even accounting for neither of them being involved in the old system lottery that it looks like they're going to do in some form, it's possible that the Devils have two picks between 8 and 15 in addition to the top six pick they'll have.  

If Arizona "wins" that first round, their pick next year goes from a third to a second, or an argument can be made that it does.  And if the league goes forward with this, I imagine that when it comes to deciding draft pick conditions, any ambiguities are going to go in favor of the team that isn't included in this playoff format.

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think they’d just want to win. See my note about the 95 Cup above. Are you upset as a fan that we won our first cup “that way”?

Those lockout seasons had less regular season games, but the playoff format was the same as any other season. This is blatantly allowing sh!tty, non-deserving teams in to the playoffs. 24 teams is ridiculous. It would be more legit if they just said ‘how the standings ended up are how they ended up and now we play the regular playoff format based on that’. At least that way you played 60+ games and real playoffs. What if one of these garbage teams they allow in somehow rides a hot goaltender to a Cup? You wanna see that? I sure as fvck do not. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It's funny, we don't deserve to be in the playoffs and with 14 games left the chances of us sneaking in were extremely slim, but of course the world would get turned upside down and then when the season resumes they institute a 24 team playoff and it just so happens that we're tied for 25th place in the league. 

I'm not happy about this 24-team format, but I'll take hockey back because the sport is great even if it's not in the format that we love the most.

I`m very happy that hockey will  return soon. Terribly unluck that we are on 25th place when mirracle circumstances led to the format of 24 teams in play-off. We had good chances in draft lottery but  i would change those good chances to bad chances to win the cup. Devs were not excellent in past two hockey months, sometimes they were terribly bad... Next season will start later than we used to.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

I think some of you are overreacting with the whole "Covid Cup" thing and just spitting out cliched slogans about the spirit or sanctity of the sport.  They were doing first round bye's up until the 70's I believe and even doing a best of 5 round into the 80's.  Do those teams cup wins get asterisk too?

yeah if I take my own personal bias out of it the 95 season is equally as flawed imo as this one having only played 48 regular season games.  I believe some teams played as many as 71 this time around? But in this case the no fans, neutral ice and months delay is a no go interest wise and this is coming from a guy who is more of a I prefer to watch a really good NHL game rather than a really bad Devils game  at this point in life.  So my lack of caring isn't necessarily because the devils are done.

Edited by titans04

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Those lockout seasons had less regular season games, but the playoff format was the same as any other season. This is blatantly allowing sh!tty, non-deserving teams in to the playoffs. 24 teams is ridiculous. It would be more legit if they just said ‘how the standings ended up are how they ended up and now we play the regular playoff format based on that’. At least that way you played 60+ games and real playoffs. What if one of these garbage teams they allow in somehow rides a hot goaltender to a Cup? You wanna see that? I sure as fvck do not. 

I’d love to see that actually. A sh!tty team comes all the way from the bottom to win the Cup? That’s fvcking hockey right there.

Do I like the format? No, I would’ve stick with whoever was in playoff position at the time the season ended. Am I so upset that I would say it’s not a “real” Cup? Not at all.  

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’d love to see that actually. A sh!tty team comes all the way from the bottom to win the Cup? That’s fvcking hockey right there.

No, that’s not ‘hockey right there’. That’s horse sh!t right there. We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think some of you are overreacting with the whole "Covid Cup" thing and just spitting out cliched slogans about the spirit or sanctity of the sport.  They were doing first round bye's up until the 70's I believe and even doing a best of 5 round into the 80's.  Do those teams cup wins get asterisk too?

That’s the way it was. That was the format. It was accepted. This is a band-aid on a bullet wound.

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Totally disagree. This will forever be known as the Covid Cup. It will be looked back on and mocked. If I was a franchise that has never won a Cup, I wouldn’t wanna win my first this way. 

But this is EXACTLY what people said (and Ranger fans still say) after the Devs Cup in '95

Was that illegitimate?

I should have read ahead.......others brought this point up

Edited by Jimmy Leeds

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s the way it was. That was the format. It was accepted. This is a band-aid on a bullet wound.

Agree, ending the season with a different playoff format than what it began with does tarnish it for sure. From an integrity standpoint the best would have been to finish the schedule, do the playoffs and shorten next year.

4 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Agree, ending the season with a different playoff format than what it began with does tarnish it for sure. From an integrity standpoint the best would have been to finish the schedule, do the playoffs and shorten next year.

lol I think you are going overboard here.  What the Astros did to win their World Series is something that tarnishes a sport.  Coming up with an idea to try to finish a season the most fair way possible to all teams in an unprecedented situation is not something I would consider as tarnishing a sport.

I don't think there's a big asterisk or anything and I really don't care but if I was a fan of a team that did win the cup like this I'd be so disappointed not to be there to see them win the cup nor have a gigantic parade and celebration afterwards. 

Obviously don't have to worry about that this year though for us lol

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Not for nothing, and I know it doesn't seem like it at times, but 1970 was 50 years ago.  So that's not really something most people even remember, let alone know of at all... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

lol I think you are going overboard here.  What the Astros did to win their World Series is something that tarnishes a sport.  Coming up with an idea to try to finish a season the most fair way possible to all teams in an unprecedented situation is not something I would consider as tarnishing a sport.

It's an idea but one that tarnishes the season and I would rather they do it in a different way so I guess we'll disagree.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Not for nothing, and I know it doesn't seem like it at times, but 1970 was 50 years ago.  So that's not really something most people even remember, let alone know of at all... 

I don't care if it is 10 or 50 years ago.  Hockey, and the NHL, change stuff all the time and getting upset about a solution to an unprecedented situation is asinine.  This is really "old man yelling at cloud" stuff.

• Like 1

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I don't think the Cup winner should be considered tainted or tarnished. The season itself is what, 85% or 86% complete by most teams? If a winner somehow comes from a team that traditionally wouldn't have made it, they'll have to win more than 16 playoff games to do so. The things I don't like about this proposed format is I feel like 24 teams is 3 or 4 too many and I especially think the seeding for who plays who out of the play-in round is weird (eg: #1 seed playing winner of #8 vs #9; in my opinion, should be the lowest advancing seed to face #1). 

According to Hockey Reference, these are the playoff odds (when season paused) of the 8 extra teams sneaking in:

CBJ: 33.6% 
FLA: 37.9%
NYR: 21.8%
MTL: 0.1% 

WPG: 57%
MIN: 48.9%
ARI: 13%
CHI: 2.5%

I think the bone to pick here is with the bottom two in each conference (NYR, MTL, ARI and CHI). MTL and CHI getting in looks especially dumb.

Edited by nmigliore