NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

51 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't think there's a big asterisk or anything and I really don't care but if I was a fan of a team that did win the cup like this I'd be so disappointed not to be there to see them win the cup nor have a gigantic parade and celebration afterwards. 

Obviously don't have to worry about that this year though for us lol

I mean sure, I would be upset about that. But I would be more upset if they didn’t win. 

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think you are falling victim to the whole sanctity of the sport nonsense.

Yeah because I actually give a sh!t about it. 

1 hour ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

It's an idea but one that tarnishes the season and I would rather they do it in a different way so I guess we'll disagree.

Exactly.

23 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Good thing they did us the favor and made it something we don't have to worry about lol

Fitz gets up at the meeting to argue a point, and they were like “Uhh, well this is awkward. Does anyone ELSE have an opinion?”

If it wasn't for nyr fans, no one would've heard of the term half a cup. In truth, the presidents' trophy in 95 you could argue deserved an asterisk for a 48 vs 82 game reg. season.  But the SC was 4 rounds, 16 wins. 

As for this year, would be weird with no fans for the playoffs. Think you'd need canned crowd noise. Or we'd just hear the players and coaches. 

Of course, would still root my hardest against nyr, pitt, tb and tor.

On 5/19/2020 at 2:55 PM, Jimmy Leeds said:

Funny seeing Doc with Mike Eruzione doing a Devs game in the early 80's

Doc had such a crappy early voice I don't know how he got to be the GOAT

Emrick and Hall of Famer Frank Mahovlich, 1984-85 season. The hair! The ladies glasses!

Emrick.JPG

10 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

Emrick and Hall of Famer Frank Mahovlich, 1984-85 season. The hair! The ladies glasses!

Emrick.JPG

Guess that picture was taken just after Doc left Devo:

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I don't care if it is 10 or 50 years ago.  Hockey, and the NHL, change stuff all the time and getting upset about a solution to an unprecedented situation is asinine.  This is really "old man yelling at cloud" stuff.

I don't necessarily disagree, I'm happy to see hockey come back even if it's in some unorthodox fashion, but I also recognize that there are some people out there who hold dearly to them certain traditions, things that they've known and come to love, expect, and appreciate, over the last 20, 30, or even 40 some years (note, I'm not saying 50 is the magic number where things become irrelevant, but that's a significant amount of time, and I'm taking into account the the majority of these people being under 50 years of age)

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

C2FA6D77-7BEF-4B85-ACBE-30B00FDBD6D7.png

I came here to report on this as well - I didn't see any articles, but a good friend of mine that works for the Blue Jackets said it's a done deal and will be announced officially sometime early next week. The Eastern Conference will either be in Columbus, Sunrise, or Toronto.  Columbus is playing Toronto, and the Lightning get a bye.  Not sure how the rest is worked out but if I hear more I'll let everyone know.

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I came here to report on this as well - I didn't see any articles, but a good friend of mine that works for the Blue Jackets said it's a done deal and will be announced officially sometime early next week. The Eastern Conference will either be in Columbus, Sunrise, or Toronto.  Columbus is playing Toronto, and the Lightning get a bye.  Not sure how the rest is worked out but if I hear more I'll let everyone know.

there's a lot of details out already

https://www.si.com/nhl/2020/05/23/nhl-expected-approve-24-team-playoff-format-proposal

So now. living in habs land. All im hearing from the media and fans is that the league is against them and trying to change the rules because of Price... claiming that teams are scared to play against him in the playoffs... 

Now that the Pens apparently voted no to the playoffs format out of fear of playing against Price etc etc

I fvcking hate that fanbase and their media so so bad.

Edited by SterioDesign

Honestly, if you were in playoff position before, you should’ve voted no to this plan.  Why would you vote for a plan that increases the number of teams In the playoffs? Would you rather have a field of 16 to compete against or 24?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Honestly, if you were in playoff position before, you should’ve voted no to this plan.  Why would you vote for a plan that increases the number of teams In the playoffs? Would you rather have a field of 16 to compete against or 24?

If you're in playoff position, you're still only competing against 15 other teams. The other teams have to play in.

19 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Yeah I'm not actually sure if I do either. Can someone explain it?

I looked it up. 

Top 4 teams in each conference get a bye into the second round. 

Remaining 16 (including the 8 “non playoff” teams) play a first round, best of 5. 

So the top 8 then play the remaining 8 from the first round. 

So the top 8 get a “free pass” into the second round, but they’re no better off than if they had to play the first round in a normal format. 

So in short, 8 playoff teams have to play 8 non playoff teams to compete for the right to make the playoffs. If I were any one of those 8, I wouldn’t vote for this format. 

The top 8 still have to play the same number of games among a field of 16, but with the possibility of any of the 8 “non playoff”, or the worse teams, making it into their 16. So I can see why they’d be on board, not for the bye, but for the chance to compete against lesser opponents. 

The 8 non playoff teams obviously vote themselves in. 

The other 7, including us, why they even had a vote I don’t know lol. 

So really, it’s only 8 teams that shouldn’t have voted for this format. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I looked it up. 

Top 4 teams in each conference get a bye into the second round. 

Remaining 16 (including the 8 “non playoff” teams) play a first round, best of 5. 

So the top 8 then play the remaining 8 from the first round. 

So the top 8 get a “free pass” into the second round, but they’re no better off than if they had to play the first round in a normal format. 

So in short, 8 playoff teams have to play 8 non playoff teams to compete for the right to make the playoffs. If I were any one of those 8, I wouldn’t vote for this format. 

The top 8 still have to play the same number of games among a field of 16, but with the possibility of any of the 8 “non playoff”, or the worse teams, making it into their 16. So I can see why they’d be on board, not for the bye, but for the chance to compete against lesser opponents. 

The 8 non playoff teams obviously vote themselves in. 

The other 7, including us, why they even had a vote I don’t know lol. 

So really, it’s only 8 teams that shouldn’t have voted for this format. 

Cool, thanks for that. The first time I read it, I guess I thought it said top 4 teams from each DIVISION don't need to play in. Confused me on how the other 8 would play into the seeding of the tournament.