NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

3 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

lol......I had a co-worker with a relative on the Capitals. I never would say which player, but because of that, I'd get a little bit of insights on an NHL player's thinking. Not much, but a decent amount. I was cryptic once saying basically that and a couple of regulars here ripped into me like nobody's business.  Since almost all the names here blend together I forget who but it was, but I got accused of bragging, etc........  very well may have been mfitz then also

Could've been...see my post about ball-breaking above. 

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well it's kind of typical here that if you have an unpopular opinion that the regulars will turn into a mob and witch hunt you. It's a lot of fun

Well that one was definitely me lol. 

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

There's a very real idea out there that the "play-in" round will not be considered the "playoffs".  That only when there are 16 teams left will the playoffs 'officially' begin.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if the NHL went this way.  I haven't really considered/thought about the fallout of this yet, but I'd be surprised if it didn't screw us in some way.

I think that's a pretty tough argument. A best of 3 series certainly isn't the regular season, so I would imagine that has to be the playoffs. 

If that is how they go, I think its also a hard argument to say we got "screwed", because if they make the 24 and not the 16, isn't that just us trying to take advantage of the situation by saying "they made it" when the "playoffs" at the time the deal was made were something else that only involved 16 teams? 

The only fair thing to do is to have the team captains go punch for punch in the stomach, and whoever lasts the longest gets to decide. 

Just now, SterioDesign said:

oh its been that a thing way before your time my man lol

I'm sure. 

I will add, there's probably about 0.5% of the time I am serious on NJDevs, and if one thinks that I was taking a serious position with them, odds are their balls have been broken and they didn't even know it lol. 

This could be 100% false, but seeing posts on social media that the teams who lose in the "play-in" round are eligible for the draft lotto.  If that is the case then yikes.  It really should be amongst the 7 sad-sack teams who didn't even make the expanded playoff format that we are proudly in.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

This could be 100% false, but seeing posts on social media that the teams who lose in the "play-in" round are eligible for the draft lotto.  If that is the case then yikes.  It really should be amongst the 7 sad-sack teams who didn't even make the expanded playoff format that we are proudly in.

Yeah my buddy just told me this. Goddamnit. 

i mean im usually im TRYING to be fair / neutral and not biased.

So all i can come up with to go against my thought of they CAN have the cake and eat it too...

i guess those teams were robbed of an opportunity to win a spot... so they are given that chance in a few less games... so all in all the team deserving will be in the playoffs and the ones who doesn't will have a shot at getting better through the draft...

so that's fair... but cause it goes against my team's good interest... i don't like it.. but i can admit i'm just biased on that angle

21 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm more curious to see how fans being put back into buildings eventually works. If I have to wear a mask all game for the entire 20-21 season I'd rather them keep my money for the season to reserve my seats and I'll be back for the 21-22 season. 

I couldn't agree with this more.  I wear the mask indoors when shopping, but its usually a short period of time and I absolutely hate every minute of it.  As much as I want to go back to the Rock and watch some Devils hockey, I doubt I will be doing it if I have to wear a mask for 3 hours.

• Like 3

I’m not worried about being uncomfortable for 3 hours, but I am worried about exposing myself to something that requires me to sit wearing a mask for 3 hours. 

I suspect crowds will be small enough that keeping 6 feet distance between fans will not be too hard. I mean, at the Rock we just call that Tuesday. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I couldn't agree with this more.  I wear the mask indoors when shopping, but its usually a short period of time and I absolutely hate every minute of it.  As much as I want to go back to the Rock and watch some Devils hockey, I doubt I will be doing it if I have to wear a mask for 3 hours.

I've worn a mask the few times I've had to go out but that was a very short time span. I just dont have any interest in wearing it the entire time I'm indoors at a game and it's not why I signed up for when purchasing season tickets. Obviously we have no idea what is going to happen but it's going to be interesting to see what happens when we get there. 

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not worried about being uncomfortable for 3 hours, but I am worried about exposing myself to something that requires me to sit wearing a mask for 3 hours. 

I suspect crowds will be small enough that keeping 6 feet distance between fans will not be too hard. I mean, at the Rock we just call that Tuesday. 

For me it's a combination. I know our fan base gets made fun of for low crowds but the crowds were surprisingly good last year even though the team sucked. 

They still have a large number of season ticket holders too but if you spread everyone out it really starts to become tricky. My entire row for example is all season ticket holders and the rows around me are almost all season ticket holders as well. Now I should probably get first dibs on my seats cause tenure wise I've been around way longer than those around me but who knows. 

It's all obviously gonna be based on what happens and since everyone is a medical expert nowadays it's impossible to predict. Might not even be any fans to start next season either, probably will be a wait and see approach if there's actually a second wave that comes. Who the hell knows. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I've worn a mask the few times I've had to go out but that was a very short time span. I just dont have any interest in wearing it the entire time I'm indoors at a game and it's not why I signed up for when purchasing season tickets. Obviously we have no idea what is going to happen but it's going to be interesting to see what happens when we get there. 

For me it's a combination. I know our fan base gets made fun of for low crowds but the crowds were surprisingly good last year even though the team sucked. 

They still have a large number of season ticket holders too but if you spread everyone out it really starts to become tricky. My entire row for example is all season ticket holders and the rows around me are almost all season ticket holders as well. Now I should probably get first dibs on my seats cause tenure wise I've been around way longer than those around me but who knows. 

It's all obviously gonna be based on what happens and since everyone is a medical expert nowadays it's impossible to predict. Might not even be any fans to start next season either, probably will be a wait and see approach if there's actually a second wave that comes. Who the hell knows. 

If you don’t have interest in wearing one, and they’re required, you won’t go. The suggestion that you didn’t sign up for it when you bought season tickets is kind of a ridiculous statement though. Nobody signed up for any of this. If what you mean is they should refund your tickets because you don’t want to wear a mask and/or don’t want to expose yourself to the virus, maybe you have an argument there. 

My comment about spacing out the fans was also tongue in cheek. But I do think they could probably work it out because I am thinking the arena will be at least half empty. I get as a STH you chose your seats, but again, sh!t happens, and nobody wants to be exposed to the virus. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If you don’t have interest in wearing one, and they’re required, you won’t go. The suggestion that you didn’t sign up for it when you bought season tickets is kind of a ridiculous statement though. Nobody signed up for any of this. If what you mean is they should refund your tickets because you don’t want to wear a mask and/or don’t want to expose yourself to the virus, maybe you have an argument there. 

The bolded is exactly what I meant, though I'd try to work with them on just keeping my money to reserve my seats and I'll just be back for the 21-22 season. 

ok, got it. Makes less than zero f*cking sense to me even after listening to him go through it and then reading it again here twice. They literally just can not get out of their own way now for say  as far back as I can remember.

Absolutely, bat-sh!t insane to me that the teams that are going to play in the qualifying round get a chance at the 1OA pick.  Do the math - there's a 24.5% chance that a team that loses their play-in series gets the only franchise player in the draft.

Why?  Why must the NHL always make things difficult?  Do a separate lottery for the 7 teams to determine who gets the 1st/2nd/3rd overall pick, then a separate lottery for the other teams to determine their order.

Listen, I get it that we can't complain about the lottery being cruel to us over the past few years since we've been extraordinarily lucky.  But this just seems stupid.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, titans04 said:

ok, got it. Makes less than zero f*cking sense to me even after listening to him go through it and then reading it again here twice. They literally just can not get out of their own way now for say  as far back as I can remember.

I don't think it's overly complicated, I just don't see the benefit of doing this before the play in round. Just do the lotto after that round. It's a joke that Pittsburgh has a chance to win the first overall pick if they get knocked out in 5 games.

I think this explain its better though.. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/2020-nhl-draft-lottery-procedure/c-317026602

"New Jersey received better lottery odds than Buffalo because it had a worse regulation/overtime winning percentage (.348, compared to Buffalo's .406)."

This would be the worst case scenario... 

"If a Qualifying Round losing team wins each of the top three picks, the bottom seven teams will be assigned picks No. 4-10 in inverse order of their point percentage" 

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

Absolutely, bat-sh!t insane to me that the teams that are going to play in the qualifying round get a chance at the 1OA pick.

Do the math - there's a 24.5% chance that a team that loses their play-in series gets the 1st overall pick.

Why?  Why must the NHL always make things difficult?  Do a separate lottery for the 7 teams to determine who gets the 1st/2nd/3rd overall pick, then a separate lottery for the other teams to determine their order.

Listen, I get it that we can't complain about the lottery being cruel to us over the past few years since we've been extraordinarily lucky.  But this just seems stupid.

Yeah it’s dumb. And it says to me that the play-in round isn’t being treated as “the playoffs”, so Vancouver has not played in the playoffs yet. 

In other news, what about Vatanen, anyone know his status? Is he ready to lace them up?

They are collectivizing the play-in team losers while keeping the odds the same for the teams eliminated.
This feels and smells like bullsh!t though...  the play-in teams are most likely to win the 1st overall now.   and then when they do, they draw straws for it.

DETROIT 18.5%
OTTAWA 13.5%
OTTAWA (from SAN JOSE) 11.5%
LOS ANGELES 9.5%
ANAHEIM 8.5%
NJ 7.5%
BUFF 6.5%
LOSER FROM PLAY-INS COLLECTIVELY: 24.5%

Those 8 teams share that pick evenly... so each of them effectively have a 3.0625% chance to win the draft lottery.

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't think it's overly complicated, I just don't see the benefit of doing this before the play in round. Just do the lotto after that round. It's a joke that Pittsburgh has a chance to win the first overall pick if they get knocked out in 5 games.

I think this explain its better though.. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/2020-nhl-draft-lottery-procedure/c-317026602

"New Jersey received better lottery odds than Buffalo because it had a worse regulation/overtime winning percentage (.348, compared to Buffalo's .406)."

This would be the worst case scenario... 

"If a Qualifying Round losing team wins each of the top three picks, the bottom seven teams will be assigned picks No. 4-10 in inverse order of their point percentage" 

How about all the teams go to Jenkinson’s and play the game where you low up the balloon by shooting water in a clown’s mouth and we decide the draft order that way?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, aylbert said:

They are collectivizing the play-in team losers while keeping the odds the same for the teams eliminated.
This feels and smells like bullsh!t though...  the play-in teams are most likely to win the 1st overall now.   and then when they do, they draw straws for it.

DETROIT 18.5%
OTTAWA 13.5%
OTTAWA (from SAN JOSE) 11.5%
LOS ANGELES 9.5%
ANAHEIM 8.5%
NJ 7.5%
BUFF 6.5%
LOSER FROM PLAY-INS COLLECTIVELY: 24.5%

Those 8 teams share that pick evenly... so each of them effectively have a 3.0625% chance to win the draft lottery.

Absolute horsesh!t, a team that is going to the playoffs should not be able to win the draft lottery. 

• Like 4

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Absolute horsesh!t, a team that is going to the playoffs should not be able to win the draft lottery. 

They arent starting in the playoffs...  the bottom teams are qualifying for the playoffs in a play in.   The top teams are playing for positioning...  and then they will start the playoffs.
I mean, yes, the odds are the same...  it just feels wrong.