NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

38 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Yes, the point I was making was in re: the Devils being on the outside of the 24 team play-in. The rub in the negotiations is making everyone happy. What is the impetus for the Devils to accept the return-to-play plan? They get bumped out without any significant gain. A nay vote from the Devils wouldn't have mattered anyway but the Devils voted for it. Why? Probably because they're happy to just stay in their lottery position and not risk infection. Glass half-full is: had the Devils made the playoffs (i.e. won their play-in), they would be out of the lottery and would very likely not go much further. Now they secure a good draft position pretty much regardless.

The Devils also dont need to jump through the expense and hoops for nothing - they can just let the contracts expire of their personnel etc.   

The line was drawn neatly, and allows for all the .500+ teams a chance to win the Cup; while the sub 500 teams are out... giving consequence for sucking in 2019-20...  while also preserving the more competitive bottom feeders chance for 1OA.
I don't like the play-in losers grouping together their lottery chances...   

Ideally I'd like to keep the bottom 7 as-is...  then let the play-ins occur...     then rank the losers of the play-ins by point% from the regular season.
Then have ONE lottery with the traditional lottery odds for all teams outside of the playoffs.

As-is, I don't get why they are having two draft lotteries. 

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Well, that helps a lot. Clearly need to root against the Yotes and Canucks

Root against ARZ and for them not to win the lottery.

Root for Canucks to make playoffs and lose immediately.

Best possible for scenario for the devils this year:

1) Win the lottery outright - #1 pick.

2) ARZ loses qualifying round and does not win lottery - #8 pick (no qualifying loser wins a lottery spot for ARZ to finish 😎

3) Van advances to playoffs and loses in round 1 - #17 pick

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, aylbert said:

Ideally I'd like to keep the bottom 7 as-is...  then let the play-ins occur...     then rank the losers of the play-ins by point% from the regular season.

Then have ONE lottery with the traditional lottery odds for all teams outside of the playoffs.

As-is, I don't get why they are having two draft lotteries. 

I don't really see what the big fuss is about the two lotteries. It's complicated...but so what? It's pretty clear where the Devils stand and the NHL [possibly] gets the chance to run the big reveal show twice. Maybe that will somewhat make up for the millions of $$$ in COVID testing this R2P is going to eventually cost the league. Better yet, it'll give something to the eliminated teams to chew on while twenty-four other teams play hockey.

The bigger concern is the possibility that a top team like the Penguins loses their play-in and ends up winning the lottery and Lafreniere. That would cause an uproar. I don't think it's all that unlikely the Pens lose either. The Pens are a lot better than the Canadiens but after all that time off? Weird things are bound to happen. Still, teams that were sitting in a playoff spot at seasons end should probably gain some advantage if they don't end up making the playoffs under this new format - this is it, they now get a lottery shot and it's only a shot.

Edited by Neb00rs

Also want to see Carolina knock out the Rangers and Florida knock out the Islanders.

The "play in" match ups are... 

Eastern Conference 

#1 - Boston - bye

#2 - Tampa Bay - bye

#3 - Washington - bye 

#4 - Philadelphia - bye

#5 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #12 Montreal Canadiens

#6 Carolina Hurricanes vs. #11 New York Rangers

#7 New York Islanders vs. #10 Florida Panthers

#8 Toronto Maple Leafs vs. #9 Columbus Blue Jackets

Western Conference 

#1 - St. Louis - bye

#2 - Colorado - bye

#3 - Vegas - bye

#4 - Dallas - bye

#5 Edmonton Oilers vs. #12 Chicago Blackhawks

#6 Nashville Predators vs. #11 Arizona Coyotes

#7 Vancouver Canucks vs. #10 Minnesota Wild

#8 Calgary Flames vs. #9 Winnipeg Jets

Edited by Satans Hockey

Also want to see Carolina knock out the Rangers and Florida knock out the Islanders.

The "play in" match ups are... 

Eastern Conference 

#1 - Boston - bye

#2 - Tampa Bay - bye

#3 - Washington - bye 

#4 - Philadelphia - bye

#5 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #12 Montreal Canadiens

#6 Carolina Hurricanes vs. #11 New York Rangers

#7 New York Islanders vs. #10 Florida Panthers

#8 Toronto Maple Leafs vs. #9 Columbus Blue Jackets

Western Conference 

#1 - St. Louis - bye

#2 - Colorado - bye

#3 - Vegas - bye

#4 - Dallas - bye

#5 Edmonton Oilers vs. #12 Chicago Blackhawks

#6 Nashville Predators vs. #11 Arizona Coyotes

#7 Vancouver Canucks vs. #10 Minnesota Wild

#8 Calgary Flames vs. #9 Winnipeg Jets

27 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I don't really see what the big fuss is about the two lotteries. It's complicated...but so what? It's pretty clear where the Devils stand and the NHL [possibly] gets the chance to run the big reveal show twice. Maybe that will somewhat make up for the millions of $$$ in COVID testing this R2P is going to eventually cost the league. Better yet, it'll give something to the eliminated teams to chew on while twenty-four other teams play hockey.

The bigger concern is the possibility that a top team like the Penguins loses their play-in and ends up winning the lottery and Lafreniere. That would cause an uproar. I don't think it's all that unlikely the Pens lose either. The Pens are a lot better than the Canadiens but after all that time off? Weird things are bound to happen. Still, teams that were sitting in a playoff spot at seasons end should probably gain some advantage if they don't end up making the playoffs under this new format - this is it, they now get a lottery shot and it's only a shot.

The two lotteries are connected.
If we just played the play-ins first, and then rank the losers in reverse order...  in the case the Penguins lose, they would get a 1% shot rather than a 3% chance (assuming they would be the best team to miss).

• Like 1

the best case scenario for us would be

Montreal winning against Pittsburgh

Vancouver winning against Minny

Chicago winning against Edm

Nashville winning against Arizona

Then Vancouver losing in the first round.

That way the Arizona's pick would go from 10th to 8th. And we'd get the Vancouver 1st round pick.

My TV listings say NHLN is showing one of my favorite Devils games of all time, game 7 of the 2000 ECF vs the Flyers.   I tuned in expecting to see Elias make Boucher his bitch and was instead greeted with 1994 ECF game 6 and 7 messier highlights.  That’s kind of cruel.  

1 hour ago, aylbert said:

The two lotteries are connected.
If we just played the play-ins first, and then rank the losers in reverse order...  in the case the Penguins lose, they would get a 1% shot rather than a 3% chance (assuming they would be the best team to miss).

I definitely don't see the point of ranking the losers in reverse order [according to their regular season points %]? The advantage there to a team like the Canadiens is heightened when they're getting a shot at the playoffs while sitting far below the cutoff in the original standing and even if they lose they'll land on their feet. At the same time you make the format less appealing to a team like the Penguins, which had 15 more points than the Canadiens as of the last game of the season, and now have to risk getting bumped by the Habs and only have a 1% chance of winning the lottery. I don't think your plan passes a vote. The NHL has the right format, the question is, should they do it in one shot or two? Two is whatever to me. I'm sure they're just praying the Penguins don't end up with the top pick.

3 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

I definitely don't see the point of ranking the losers in reverse order [according to their regular season points %]? The advantage there to a team like the Canadiens is heightened when they're getting a shot at the playoffs while sitting far below the cutoff in the original standing and even if they lose they'll land on their feet. At the same time you make the format less appealing to a team like the Penguins, which had 15 more points than the Canadiens as of the last game of the season, and now have to risk getting bumped by the Habs and only have a 1% chance of winning the lottery. I don't think your plan passes a vote. The NHL has the right format, the question is, should they do it in one shot or two? Two is whatever to me. I'm sure they're just praying the Penguins don't end up with the top pick.

well that's how it's always been isn't it? its like teams in the playoffs... all the teams losing in the first round will be ranked based by their standings in the season... then same thing for the 2nd round etc so it makes sense that they are doing it this way... what other way could they do it really?

11 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

The worst part of it all, is that we might not have Devils hockey for a total of almost 11 months. But I mean, some of ya'll were begging for a break from the perennial sh!tshow anyway.

The worst thing that Nico and Jack lose a year of real hockey practice.

10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

the best case scenario for us would be

Montreal winning against Pittsburgh

Vancouver winning against Minny

Chicago winning against Edm

Nashville winning against Arizona

Then Vancouver losing in the first round.

That way the Arizona's pick would go from 10th to 8th. And we'd get the Vancouver 1st round pick.

I hate the fact that John Hynes again has a chance to really screw this team one last time. Ugh, of all the Punch Me Faces in this league, that man has caused me so many headaches that he’s right up there with Marchand...

I try my best to understand how the lottery will work... and i kind of figure it out the big lines... 
But is there a chance that the Devils win the lottery on the first drawing (with their 7,5% of chance) ... having the first overall at this time. Just to lose it during the second drawing ? 

Damn i'm tired ... and will mostly wait all that to happen and will contemplate the devils position in the draft and that will be more than enough... (but just for the rollercoaster of frustration, my question of " can we get screwed during the second drawing?" is real)

25 minutes ago, moustic said:

I try my best to understand how the lottery will work... and i kind of figure it out the big lines... 
But is there a chance that the Devils win the lottery on the first drawing (with their 7,5% of chance) ... having the first overall at this time. Just to lose it during the second drawing ? 

Damn i'm tired ... and will mostly wait all that to happen and will contemplate the devils position in the draft and that will be more than enough... (but just for the rollercoaster of frustration, my question of " can we get screwed during the second drawing?" is real)

No whoever win it from the bottom 7 team cannot lose it.

Here's how it COULD go for example.

OTTAWA win the lottery and get the first overall pick.

Team B win the 2nd lottery and get the second overall pick. 

NJ win the 3rd lottery and get the 3rd overall pick.

So now the draft order would be

1.Ottawa

2. Team B (unknown)

3. NJ

4. Detroit

5. Ottawa

6. LA

7. ANA

8. Buffalo

so now...

we don't know the rest yet cause it will depend on who lose the play-in... who gets that 2nd overall pick will be another lottery from all the loser play-in teams in phase 2.

That being said... we CAN get screwed in the 2nd drawing... IF Arizona win that lottery. Cause then we'd lose that pick for this year.

Edited by SterioDesign

18 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not worried about being uncomfortable for 3 hours, but I am worried about exposing myself to something that requires me to sit wearing a mask for 3 hours. 

I suspect crowds will be small enough that keeping 6 feet distance between fans will not be too hard. I mean, at the Rock we just call that Tuesday. 

I read about a week or two ago that a couple of teams looked at what kind of crowds they could fit in the arena if they spaced everyone 6 feet apart in the seats.  After some experimenting they calculated that they could only fit about 2-2.5K people into the seats.

18 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

If you don’t have interest in wearing one, and they’re required, you won’t go. The suggestion that you didn’t sign up for it when you bought season tickets is kind of a ridiculous statement though. Nobody signed up for any of this. If what you mean is they should refund your tickets because you don’t want to wear a mask and/or don’t want to expose yourself to the virus, maybe you have an argument there. 

My comment about spacing out the fans was also tongue in cheek. But I do think they could probably work it out because I am thinking the arena will be at least half empty. I get as a STH you chose your seats, but again, sh!t happens, and nobody wants to be exposed to the virus. 

I read somewhere that the NHL has been modeling different scenarios.  In the one where they are required to keep fans at a 6 foot distance in all directions, most arena capacity will drop to anywhere between 2500-2800 people.  I can't imagine the teams (especially mid and small market teams like the Devils) will not lose a ton of money in that scenario which will call into question whether the next season should restart without fans or with limited numbers of fans in the building due to social distancing. 

The Devils have been really good about dealing with STH's and payments for next year throughout this entire crisis.  They have given fans the option of doing what they need to at this time while other teams have been holding ticket holders to their agreements and taking their money per normal circumstances like the Rona never happened.  I'm critical of this organization when necessary, but I have to give them props too when they deserve it. 

Edited by Chuck the Duck
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I read about a week or two ago that a couple of teams looked at what kind of crowds they could fit in the arena if they spaced everyone 6 feet apart in the seats.  After some experimenting they calculated that they could only fit about 2-2.5K people into the seats.

Beat me to the punch on this.  I saw the same thing.  If that's true, it will be tough for a number of teams to operate without substantial financial backing from the league.

1 hour ago, moustic said:

I try my best to understand how the lottery will work...

Last year's first rounders will enter a fishing tournament and the draft order will be determined in order of total weight. I think so, anyway. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

No whoever win it from the bottom 7 team cannot lose it.

Here's how it COULD go for example.

OTTAWA win the lottery and get the first overall pick.

Team B win the 2nd lottery and get the second overall pick. 

NJ win the 3rd lottery and get the 3rd overall pick.

So now the draft order would be

1.Ottawa

2. Team B (unknown)

3. NJ

4. Detroit

5. Ottawa

6. LA

7. ANA

8. Buffalo

so now...

we don't know the rest yet cause it will depend on who lose the play-in... who gets that 2nd overall pick will be another lottery from all the loser play-in teams in phase 2.

That being said... we CAN get screwed in the 2nd drawing... IF Arizona win that lottery. Cause then we'd lose that pick for this year.

First of all, thanks! 

So... In another way of putting it... Let's say that Montreal is team B... And their number is draw for the first overall.. Their path will be something between winning against Pittsburgh or... Get Lafreniere? 

Or only the 7 teams can win the first?