NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Probably not. But I also thought that last year. 

exactly this. They're guilty until proven innocent in my book at this point based on  performance over the past handful of seasons. 

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

This is fun to play with. 

https://draftprospectshockey.com/draftsim/#/

At this point I kind of just hope we can at least stay 6th so we have a shot at Rossi. I don't think we'll get him if we're pushed to 7th or 8th.

I saw Rossi’s coach in Ottawa compared him to a mixture of Nico and St. Louis. I would love to get this kid. Might be the player I want the 2nd most after AL. 

2 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

image.png

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

SOLD!!

Return this...     it means Vancouver didnt make the playoffs (the losers of the play-ins arent the plahy-offs)... so we dont get that pick.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Am I missing something? This is not regular season,  but playoffs!  Play on words? Play in? Yotes & Nucks ARE in the playoffs.

no - they are not and the NHL specifically said so. The play in rounds for teams 9-24 are NOT playoffs and do not count as such. They are an extension of the regular season for record keeping sake of individual stats (but not team wins for the season). and they are not considered playoffs.

Corey Masisak detailed this pretty well on the Athletic. relevant quoted below:

Arizona’s 2020 first-round pick

If the Coyotes lose their qualifying round against Nashville, the pick could end up at No. 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 or 13, pending the results of the lottery (or lotteries).

If Arizona loses to Nashville, and then wins a top-3 pick in the second phase of the lottery, the Coyotes keep the pick and New Jersey gets an unprotected 2021 selection. If Arizona beats Nashville and qualifies for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Devils will get the 2020 first, which will be no lower than No. 16 overall.

• Arizona’s pick ends up at No. 8: If the Coyotes lose to Nashville, Montreal and Chicago win the play-in round and no team outside the bottom seven wins a top-three pick in the first lottery phase.
  • Arizona’s pick ends up at No. 9: If the Coyotes lose to Nashville, Montreal or Chicago wins the play-in round and no team outside the bottom seven wins a top-three pick in the first lottery phase.
  • Arizona’s pick ends up at No. 10: If the Coyotes lose to Nashville, Montreal and Chicago lose the play-in round and no team outside the bottom seven wins a top-three pick in the first lottery phase.
  • Arizona’s pick ends up at No. 11: If the Coyotes lose to Nashville, Montreal and Chicago lose the play-in round and one team that isn’t Arizona wins a second-phase lottery selection.
  • Arizona’s pick ends up at No. 12: If the Coyotes lose to Nashville, Montreal and Chicago lose the play-in round and two teams that aren’t Arizona win a second-phase lottery selection.
  • Arizona’s pick ends up at No. 13: If the Coyotes lose to Nashville, Montreal and Chicago lose the play-in round and three teams that aren’t Arizona win a second-phase lottery selection.
  • Arizona’s pick ends up at No. 16-31: If the Coyotes beat the Predators. The playoffs will determine what exactly the pick becomes.

Vancouver’s 2020 first-round pick

If the Canucks lose their qualifying round series against the Wild, they will keep their 2020 first and the Devils will receive an unprotected 2021 first-round selection.

If Vancouver beats Minnesota, the Devils will receive the Canucks’ 2020 first-round pick. It will be somewhere between 16 and 27 if the Canucks lose in the first two rounds, or between 28 and 31 if they reach the Western Conference Final.

Arizona’s 2021 conditional third-round pick

There is no language in the NHL’s release about whether the qualifying round counts as a “winning a playoff round,” but given that the league has differentiated it from the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the answer is probably no.

So if the Coyotes beat the Predators and win their opening playoff round against one of the top-four seeds, the Devils’ pick in 2021 would be upgraded to a second-rounder.

If the Coyotes beat the Predators and win their first-round series and Taylor Hall re-signs before next season, New Jersey would get Arizona’s first-round pick in 2021.

If the Coyotes lose to the Predators, the third-round pick in 2021 can only be upgraded to a second — and only if Hall signs with Arizona.

• Like 1

Just received a survey from the NHL...

"We hope that you and your loved ones are staying safe and healthy during these unprecedented times. As we seek to better understand the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, on behalf of the New Jersey Devils, we invite you to share your thoughts via a short survey below. Your feedback is very important and will help us to enhance fan experiences with the New Jersey Devils and the National Hockey League.

The survey will take approximately 5 minutes to complete. If you respond to this survey, the New Jersey Devils, the National Hockey League and our third-party research partner, J.D. Power, will have access to your survey responses."

It was asking questions about the covid situation, if it was affected anyway by it, health or financially, how I feel about the current situation and asking about what is important to me when things opened up. Some of the options were contactless payment, all staff wearing masks, all fans wearing masks, more cleaning of the arena, cutting capacity to make social distancing possible, temperature checks, hand sanitizing stations. 

It also had a few spots where I could put my own opinion in and I said numerous times that I will not be attending games if I have to wear a mask and have my temperature taken. I have no issues with wearing a mask to go purchase essential goods at the supermarket but I am not paying thousands of dollars to go to the Prudential Center to have my temperature checked and wear a mask for 3-4 hours. 

I'm sure I'm gonna have a fun fight with the front office about this but I'll be perfectly fine with them just holding on to my money for the 20-21 season and I'll be back for the 21-22 season. It's not like the Devils have a waiting list for season tickets and after this mess they will probably need every season ticket holder they can get and that's not even keeping in mind that the team has absolutely sucked the past two seasons and a lot of people didn't renew on that alone let alone this covid mess.

They are going to have to work with season ticket holders when it comes to this situation. Especially because there are quite a few people who are older or a higher risk that have season tickets. I know a few that just sit near my seats. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

18 hours ago, moustic said:

Vancouver's pick is already our then ? 

I don't think so.  I thought they stated that the playoffs are deemed to begin only after the play-in series are completed and the remaining 16 teams vying for the Stanley Cup will be considered playoff teams for the draft format.  Only the NHL can say that in one breath, then say that the stats from the play-in games will count as playoff statistic in another, even through the teams that lose their respective play-in series will not be considered playoff teams.  So, in effect, you have players that will accumulate playoff stats that never actually played in a playoff game.  Totally makes sense.

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I don't think so.  I thought they stated that the playoffs are deemed to begin only after the play-in series are completed and the remaining 16 teams vying for the Stanley Cup will be considered playoff teams for the draft format.  Only the NHL can say that in one breath, then say that the stats from the play-in games will count as playoff statistic in another, even through the teams that lose their respective play-in series will not be considered playoff teams.  So, in effect, you have players that will accumulate playoff stats that never actually played in a playoff game.  Totally makes sense.

Those players will have more playoff points than Pavel Zacha, who has played in playoff games. 

• Haha 1

Let's go Canucks!  Is it because I want Parise/Suter to have more misery? (biological time clock a ticking)    Nah, I really want that 1st round pick!

so i assume they'll have to test before each games or something? imagine... Stanley Cup finals Bruins vs Avs for example... after game 2 one player is tested positive... and he's been exposed to basically all players.. then you need time to test everyone. Some positive players would have to stay behind. Imagine they are star players?

with the way 2020 is shaping up so far. I have no reason to believe the playoffs will go smoothly without some sort of catastrophe

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

so i assume they'll have to test before each games or something? imagine... Stanley Cup finals Bruins vs Avs for example... after game 2 one player is tested positive... and he's been exposed to basically all players.. then you need time to test everyone. Some positive players would have to stay behind. Imagine they are star players?

with the way 2020 is shaping up so far. I have no reason to believe the playoffs will go smoothly without some sort of catastrophe

Which is why the season needs to be cancelled. This ‘playoffs’ garbage is never gonna get off the ground. If it does, it won’t get far.

• Like 1