Satans Hockey

NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over. Lottery 6/26

6 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Flames players are now donating to a fun started gofundme page.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1964902

How is everyone doing, otherwise? Anyone know people being quarantined?

That's pretty cool. It's nice to see that the players are pretty grounded and understand that they play a game for a living and make great money, and they're generous enough to support the people who make way less and help enable them to play that game in front of thousands.  

I don't know anyone that's been quarantined, and so far I'm doing alright.  I didn't do anything yesterday, just worked around the house and did some yard work. It's unseasonably hot this weekend, even for FL, so I'm about to go to the beach in a couple hours with a small group of friends.  Trying not to let the virus keep me from feeling normal.  Apparently Italy has quarantined their entire country except for emergency services and things like food/gas stores, so who knows if that's going to happen here too eventually....might as well try to get outside for a little bit just in case. 

I have a friend based in Italy (air force) him and is wife have been posting the 3 week descent into madness that spread through that country. This was his latest post...

I don’t want to add to all the Coronavirus posts, but to all of my friends back in the States who continue to complain about how this virus “is not a big deal”... it is. Cable news outlets that “cry wolf” every day have conditioned us to not trust the media and assume everything is just being blown out of proportion, so here is some perspective: Italy’s first Coronavirus case was confirmed on February 21. 95% of the data at that point was coming out of China, so both the Italian government and people (myself included) were slow to recognize the risk and nonchalant about taking action.

Today, 21 days later, there are over 17,000 confirmed cases and over 1,200 deaths in a county with roughly the same land area as Arizona. Most of the dead were elderly. The hospitals are overwhelmed and forced to turn away patients they deem less likely to survive so they can use their resources on those they think they can save. It’s “no big deal” until it’s your parents and grandparents getting turned away at the hospital. This isn’t political. No party or person created the virus, and don’t expect any politician to save your grandma. This doesn’t mean it’s time to panic and clear the grocery store shelves and move into your doomsday shelter, but it’s time to stop diminishing the situation and accept it for that it is. It is up to each person to stop complaining about events being canceled, stop pointing fingers, and start making changes in their daily lives before it’s too late for someone else.

The US is really only into week two of COVID19 in the wild? Growing sentiment in my circle of doctors and government friends is we have less than a week now before mandatory quarantines kick in for New jersey. The voluntary stuff isn't working with everyone still going out and partying like its St Patty's day 2019. Hoboken closed their bars on one of the busiest weekends of the year. Teaneck just got told to self quarantine, the state won't be far behind.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

I have a friend based in Italy (air force) him and is wife have been posting the 3 week descent into madness that spread through that country. This was his latest post...

The US is really only into week two of COVID19 in the wild? Growing sentiment in my circle of doctors and government friends is we have less than a week now before mandatory quarantines kick in for New jersey. The voluntary stuff isn't working with everyone still going out and partying like its St Patty's day 2019. Hoboken closed their bars on one of the busiest weekends of the year. Teaneck just got told to self quarantine, the state won't be far behind.

sh!t is serious. Very serious. If I lived to be 100 years old, I never thought I’d ever see anything like this in my life. 

Edited by MadDog2020

1 hour ago, DevilMinder said:

Rockland county had its first death from the virus. So going back to visit is now impossible, on top of the travel restriction to NYC already imposed. Also anyone trying to PCS (permanent change of station, aka - new assignment) is now on hold.

I’m with @MadDog2020 on this one, never thought I’d see something like this in my lifetime.

stay safe everyone

• Like 1

Italy has a very large population of still active 70, 80 and 90 year olds.. must be due to that great food.. they got hit first.. like  a tidal wave..   I understand the impact..

but if we keep the supermarkets open and stores ,exchanging money by the millions per day.. I really dont see these school and sports closings doing much of anything.. everything needs to be shut down for 14 days.. to find out where we are at.. 

Just had our first death in Freehold, NJ (Centrastate) which is 10 minutes from me. I've pretty much decided that my usual  Sunday cup of coffee on main street isn't that desirable anymore.

Wonder if the ECHL completely cancelling the season will trickle up to the bigger leagues.

Posted (edited)

I've been staying home, with literally everything I do entertainment wise being canceled I don't have any need nor desire to go out just to go out. Obviously not everyone can work from home but too many people are going out just to go out because they aren't taking this seriously. We could end it quicker if people would just stay home. It shouldn't be difficult to make short term sacrifices such as skipping bars and parties to be better off in the long run. At least one of our guys gets it... 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 2

I haven't deleted the schedule from my phone so I keep getting alerts that the games are starting.. sad....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We seem to be getting close to full lockdown here in Ohio. Our governor is closing all dine-in restaurants, bars, etc. Count me as another that never thought they’d see anything like this. 

I also saw that the movie Outbreak is in the top 10 on Netflix right now. Wtf is wrong with people? Lol

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

We seem to be getting close to full lockdown here in Ohio. Our governor is closing all dine-in restaurants, bars, etc. Count me as another that never thought they’d see anything like this. 

I also saw that the movie Outbreak is in the top 10 on Netflix right now. Wtf is wrong with people? Lol

We don't have sports to watch.

8 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

We don't have sports to watch.

Yes, but that’s the last thing in the world people should be watching. Talk about increasing panic...

Posted (edited)

It is amazing that when we now have more outlets to avoid actual social interaction and still keep up with each other and live our lives (ordering takeout instead of dining out, using Facetime and texting instead of in-person gatherings, shopping remotely), we're less willing to actually use them when it's neccesary.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yes, but that’s the last thing in the world people should be watching. Talk about increasing panic...

At least coronavirus doesn’t have an insanely high mortality rate, unlike the virus in Outbreak, which basically killed within a day or two after infection, regardless of age, general health, etc.  I can’t imagine if something like some super strain of Ebola ever got out in real life...Jesus H.  I’d never leave the damned house.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

At least coronavirus doesn’t have an insanely high mortality rate, like the virus in Outbreak, which basically killed within a day or two after infection, regardless of age, general health, etc.  I can’t imagine if something like some super strain of Ebola ever got out in real life...Jesus H.  I’d never leave the damned house.  

Right, they aren’t even close to the same. But people are ridiculous that they are choosing to watch that now. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Right, they aren’t even close to the same. But people are ridiculous that they are choosing to watch that now. 

Suffice it to say it wouldn’t be my first, second, or 47377th choice to watch right now.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the lesser-known (but far superior) Contagion is seeing an increase in viewership as well.  

My office just closed for tomorrow. We have a conference call tomorrow afternoon to determine next steps. 

• Shocking 1

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

My office just closed for tomorrow. We have a conference call tomorrow afternoon to determine next steps. 

My brothers too, straight up persona non grata on premises. I feel bad for anyone having a wedding/event in the next 8 weeks, pretty much not happening now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

My brothers too, straight up persona non grata on premises. I feel bad for anyone having a wedding/event in the next 8 weeks, pretty much not happening now.

My buddy is holding out hope his will be okay just outside of 8 weeks. But I think higher ups will make that call for him...

we still have no guidance for tomorrow except no flying

Edited by jagknife

EIGHT WEEKS?  Jesus Christ, forget about this NHL season.  That puts us in mid-May at best.

Already had a couple folks cancel weddings over the next few months.. what a crazy week.

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

EIGHT WEEKS?  Jesus Christ, forget about this NHL season.  That puts us in mid-May at best.

Best of 3s or 5s? Still end by July?

ECHL has completely cancelled their season. I feel bad for those guys. They don’t make much as it is. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2