Satans Hockey

NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over. Lottery 6/26

Got word yesterday from work that we are to work from home until at least April 3rd.

My wife, who is a mental health counselor, is forced to do tele-sessions going forward as her brick and mortar group practice she is part of is closed.  While she does have a decent amount of people signed up for tele-health she cannot add people while this is going on.  If the number of clients keep dwindling, then she is basically out of work and is already preparing to file for unemployment.

My brother works as the general manager of a custom office furniture manufacturer.  Mostly high-end stuff.  The company has approx. 40 employees and all have been laid off except 5.  He is one of the 5 and he is working from home.  Unfortunately, he said he only has enough steady work to last another 1-2 weeks as the work has dried up due to the virus.  He is also planning to file for unemployment.

I am right now in the belief that the 19-20 season is lost for good and that at best the 20-21 season will be an abbreviated one.  This isn't going to be gone by end of May; more like maybe August/Sept at the earliest.

12 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

How's everyone doing? Anyone know someone directly with Covid19? SO many cases in NJ I stopped paying attention to the new ones.

Been working remote for 3 days and already seem some major downsides.

• Teleconference calls never work 100%, poor mikes, tech glitches etc.
  • Nobody works 8-5 anymore, been fielding calls from 7 in the morning to 10PM now while people take care of kids etc. Gets tiring when you can't take a break!

Not yet but unfortunately it’s probably only a matter of time until my nurse friend gets it, since their hospital (like most) still doesn’t have enough masks and already several positive cases in their unit. Fortunately she’s in her 30’s so it shouldn’t be debilitating long term but you can’t have the people who we need to take care of everyone else getting sick too.

Posted (edited)
On 3/20/2020 at 1:34 PM, Cachorro Louco said:
Yet, construction are deemed essential and allowed to proceed... even if 98% or more of those projects right now are not emergency... 

It’s not essential obviously, but by the same token if they can fix some roads without endangering themselves or anyone else might as well do it the next few weeks while there’s obviously going to be light traffic most of the day. 

Edited by NJDevs4978

Apparently a second Ottawa player has tested positive. 

I've stopped following the news at this point beside a quick look in the morning and night online. There's no reason to listen to all these politicians talk about the same stuff for hours on end. There's nothing more I can do nor need to hear. 

We are all home and have enough food that we don't have to go out for at least 3 weeks. Already haven't been out(in public spaces not outside) since the Devils last game anyway. 

The Summer Olympics just got postponed until 2021. We’re not getting back to “normal” anytime soon. 

25 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The Summer Olympics just got postponed until 2021. We’re not getting back to “normal” anytime soon. 

The Olympics being postponed has more to do with the qualifying events that were supposed be going on currently and up until almost the start of the Olympics being postponed as well. Training as well. Having to push all these events back would push it into a fall/winter Olympics so it just makes more sense to just postpone it to next year at this point. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

The Olympics being postponed has more to do with the qualifying events that were supposed be going on currently and up until almost the start of the Olympics being postponed as well. Training as well. Having to push all these events back would push it into a fall/winter Olympics so it just makes more sense to just postpone it to next year at this point. 

True, but I don’t know that things will really be back to normal by this summer. Although the warm weather is supposed to help slow it down, but unfortunately it sounds like it would just come right back in the fall. 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

True, but I don’t know that things will really be back to normal by this summer. Although the warm weather is supposed to help slow it down, but unfortunately it sounds like it would just come right back in the fall. 

I don't think things will be back to normal but I also think most people thought the summer was kind of a long shot anyway-- especially for an event like the Olympics where thousands of people from all over the globe converge in 1 place. It doesn't surprise me, anyway.

12 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't think things will be back to normal but I also think most people thought the summer was kind of a long shot anyway-- especially for an event like the Olympics where thousands of people from all over the globe converge in 1 place. It doesn't surprise me, anyway.

Yeah, the only surprise was that they waited so long to announce it. 

Please end this distancing thing after the 15 day period is up.... my 85 year old mom will just have to suck it up down in FLA... sorry mom....

Posted (edited)

Edited by titans04

I knew this was coming about Harris. 

they kept all part time employees and are paying them with no revenue coming in. 

asking high paying salaries employees to take a cut (where oh by the way they can go to unemployment and get 70% of reduced hours back) so that no employee loses their job is reasonable. 

as for Harris’ money. Yes, it’s ludicrous amount and even though about 30% of it was wiped out in the last 2 weeks. 

but you still run businesses. 

the cheap owner narrative is also bullsh!t. 

• Like 1

This says it's only temporary and they get paid the money back starting in July? So who is wrong here? 

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nhl/devils/2020/03/23/coronavirus-nj-devils-76-ers-temporarily-reducing-staff-salaries/2904749001/

"The difference will be paid beginning in July and moving forward throughout the calendar year." 

Posted (edited)

First person popped positive in the town I live in. And since we’re such a small town in the middle of freaking nowhere... been nice knowing you all (until I recover from being sick)

honestly I’m more worried about my wife catching it (asthma) than me or the twins. So of course it puts my mind at ease with her being a nurse at the hospital... 

Edited by jagknife

33 minutes ago, jagknife said:

First person popped positive in the town I live in. And since we’re such a small town in the middle of freaking nowhere... been nice  knowing you all (until I recover from being sick)

honestly I’m more worried about my wife catching it (asthma) than me or the twins. So of course it puts my mind at ease with her being a nurse at the hospital... 

some of the at risk staff were the first to get sent home where I work.

8 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

some of the at risk staff were the first to get sent home where I work.

Unfortunately she’s in the middle of the pack in that priority list due to the Insane average age of people their dumb hospital just hired for the ICU

Posted (edited)

DELETED - yep, not posting again before reading an entire thread or letting my brain wake up.

Edited by jagknife

33 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Remember when we all applauded the owners for being in front of the curve and paying employees during the pandemic?

Yeah that was a pleasant fiction for two weeks... our owners are really cheap fvcks for being billionaires...

Look a few posts up from yours.

10 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

This says it's only temporary and they get paid the money back starting in July? So who is wrong here? 

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nhl/devils/2020/03/23/coronavirus-nj-devils-76-ers-temporarily-reducing-staff-salaries/2904749001/

"The difference will be paid beginning in July and moving forward throughout the calendar year." 

I can’t imagine the team can’t afford to pay everyone their salary, but who knows how much that really is. If it’s just delaying 20% until July, I guess that’s better. 

20% delayed salaries for three months as opposed to thousands of layoffs and some of you knuckle draggers act like the owners are Scrooge McDuck. 

It's still a business. In a world where I personally know 9 people who have lost their jobs since last week, that's pretty damn good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Remember when we all applauded the owners for being in front of the curve and paying employees during the pandemic?

Yeah that was a pleasant fiction for two weeks... our owners are really cheap fvcks for being billionaires...

This is not really fair.  

Like others have noted, the "big bad billionaires" are still paying their employees something (80+%), as opposed to flat-out layoffs.  And it's not like their interests aren't taking a big hit right now...I'm sure they have investments that are getting just as destroyed as everyone else's.  

• Like 2

On another note...................

I'm scrolling ahead on the NHL Network because I enjoy those 'Raising The Cup' games they'll play in sequential order.

Wouldn't you know it..............from what I can gather, the programming ends with the '94 Cup and the next one I see is the '18 Cup

Anyone notice this?

50 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is not really fair.  

Like others have noted, the "big bad billionaires" are still paying their employees something (80+%), as opposed to flat-out layoffs.  And it's not like their interests aren't taking a big hit right now...I'm sure they have investments that are getting just as destroyed as everyone else's.  

In Abbey's article she says 

"The difference will be paid beginning in July and moving forward throughout the calendar year." 

This is exactly the problem I have with certain media outlets and social media. They clearly leave out the whole story and Harris was getting dragged for absolutely no reason. 

I have a bunch of friends getting laid off because of budget cuts now cause of this mess and others taking legit salary cuts without eventually being paid back the difference. 

This is more than a fair deal by the owners but now only part of the story was tweeted out by that idiot and now people think the owners are absolutely horrible for delaying the salary for a few months and then paying it back. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

In Abbey's article she says 

"The difference will be paid beginning in July and moving forward throughout the calendar year." 

This is exactly the problem I have with certain media outlets and social media. They clearly leave out the whole story and Harris was getting dragged for absolutely no reason. 

I have a bunch of friends getting laid off because of budget cuts now cause of this mess and others taking legit salary cuts without eventually being paid back the difference. 

This is more than a fair deal by the owners but now only part of the story was tweeted out by that idiot and now people think the owners are absolutely horrible for delaying the salary for a few months and then paying it back. 

Randy Miller at NJ dot com even has "Heartless!" in his headline this morning in his article about it.