NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

You're being obtuse...there's fewer reported deaths because A) the disease has been around months, and B there isn't exactly great testing for it yet here.  Even if fewer people per every x number infected die from this than the flu, it obviously has been spreading more quickly than the flu without a vaccine yet so in the longer run more (and more elderly) may die from it if it's not contained.  It's also more severe than the flu even for non-lethal cases.

Sure. Just buy more toilet paper and believe everything the media tells you. 

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Sure. Just buy more toilet paper and believe everything the media tells you. 

The media isn't shutting down Italy, the media didn't cancel St. Patrick's day in Ireland, etc.  Stop blaming the media for everything.  The World Health Organization and other medical experts are the ones trying to sound the alarms for people like you sticking their head in the sand saying this isn't as bad as the flu.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Cuban gets a lot crap but he's a good dude. You won't see too many other owners doing this... 

You don't think others will follow suit?  Maybe not all owners will do it, but I imagine there will be at least some others who will do right by their employees and try to make things as easy as possible for them, given the circumstances.  If they don't, they're going to have a lot of turnover, and while an hourly worker may not be the most difficult position to fill, I always say companies hate turnover, and it hurts them - I don't think this will be any different.

4 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The media isn't shutting down Italy, the media didn't cancel St. Patrick's day in Ireland, etc.  Stop blaming the media for everything.  World Health Organizations are the ones trying to sound the alarms for people like you sticking their head in the sand saying this is serious.

Sure. 

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

You don't think others will follow suit?  Maybe not all owners will do it, but I imagine there will be at least some others who will do right by their employees and try to make things as easy as possible for them, given the circumstances.  If they don't, they're going to have a lot of turnover, and while an hourly worker may not be the most difficult position to fill, I always say companies hate turnover, and it hurts them - I don't think this will be any different.

Others might follow suit but Cuban's one of the few who would actually think to do something like that without prompting or PR pressure IMO.

7 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The media isn't shutting down Italy, the media didn't cancel St. Patrick's day in Ireland, etc.  Stop blaming the media for everything.  World Health Organizations are the ones trying to sound the alarms for people like you sticking their head in the sand saying this is serious.

I don't disagree that it doesn't hurt to take precautions, and it's definitely better to be prepared and not have needed something, than to be unprepared and need it.  With that said, I believe it was you who said earlier (and I completely agree) that I'm torn between being prepared and thinking everyone is panicking for no reason.  As most have already said in this thread, I think this virus is definitely harmful in certain circumstances, and it appears to be spreading more rapidly than perhaps the general/common flu, but all things considered, the "cure" , and/or way to prevent it from spreading, isn't anything any moderately-educated adolescent should already know....that is, practice proper hygiene, and use common sense. 

I must admit, it's a low point for citizens of this country, and really humans as a whole, when the President of the United States, in the year 2020, has to go on television and literally tell people to was their hands, cover their mouths, etc.  I mean... I want to quit.  Strap me to a rocket and send me to the moon.  I'll start civilization there.  EDIT:  (Stupid button hit submit somehow) Because we apparently failed as a species.

Edited by NJDfan1711

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Others might follow suit but Cuban's one of the few who would actually think to do something like that without prompting or PR pressure IMO.

True.  I suppose he gets credit for that, but frankly, it just seems like the right thing to do, and I'm not gonna pretend that I would have thought of it before him, but I feel like I would have eventually (prior to PR pressure like you mentioned).  Wouldn't you?  I kinda feel like it's just part of being a good person.  Maybe most owners aren't good people lol (or they're just greedy), but I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt...

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah agreed Cuban just put all the other owners on blast by doing this so now they will look bad in comparison.

James Dolan certainly wouldn't do this, he wanted to keep games going until the government forced them to stop. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, MB3 said:

Even if you’re not in the target age range, attitudes like this could cause irreparable and unnecessary harm. Try to pretend that you’re not the smartest guy you’ve ever met for ten seconds and read this. 

http://news.originalgreen.org/#/

This is the perfect article. I work in medical IT and the doctors I work directly with are very worried about a hard peak,there just isn't enough beds for everyone. When moderate symptoms make you feel like you are suffocating the last thing anyone will do is stay home and tough it out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

This is the perfect article. I work in medical IT and the doctors I work directly with are very worried about a hard peak,there just isn't enough beds for everyone. When moderate symptoms make you feel like you are suffocating the last thing anyone will do is stay home and tough it out.

This is a little irrelevant, but I'm sort of in the same space - I work in IT for a network of clinicians and psychologists - not exactly the same as hospital workers, but we're dealing with some similar things.

Anyway, back on track - where exactly have you seen people with "moderate symptoms" reported feeling suffocated?  I haven't seen or heard that anywhere, and I would say those have been the extreme (and few) cases so far.  Everything I've seen so far that can be considered the "norm" and/or "moderate" is that people show similar symptoms of the regular flu (i.e. sore throat, fever, coughing/congestion/tightness), and in general tend to recover in a week or so, give or take a couple days.  The worse cases tend to be those who have pre-existing conditions and weaker immune systems, but they are by no means "moderate" from what I've seen.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't disagree that it doesn't hurt to take precautions, and it's definitely better to be prepared and not have needed something, than to be unprepared and need it.  With that said, I believe it was you who said earlier (and I completely agree) that I'm torn between being prepared and thinking everyone is panicking for no reason.  As most have already said in this thread, I think this virus is definitely harmful in certain circumstances, and it appears to be spreading more rapidly than perhaps the general/common flu, but all things considered, the "cure" , and/or way to prevent it from spreading, isn't anything any moderately-educated adolescent should already know....that is, practice proper hygiene, and use common sense. 

Well there's no vaccine so I don't know if there's a 'cure' either other than just letting it run its course if it isn't fatal.  What you describe (good hygiene) isn't a cure per se, it's preventive.  I've always been one to wash my hands constantly and avoid coughing people like the plague but you can't do it in every circumstance.

I think the horse is out of the barn about not panicking or sounding the alarms after the events of the last six hours though.  You have the NCAA emptying its buildings, the NBA suspending its season AND Tom Hanks having a positive diagnosis.  Probably the NHL suspending its season tomorrow or at the very least emptying its buildings.  The alarms have already been sounded whether we're personally feeling its impact yet or not.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

One of my friends works in a hospital, and another has a terrible immune system and works in a school - though I doubt they'll be in classes after this week.  If anything, I'm more worried about them, and my elderly parents than myself (although I'd prefer not to be a vector for this sh!t).  Hell I'd have gone to the game last night if my friends didn't make last minute plans and was going to go to the St. Patrick's parade in my town before that got canceled earlier today as well.  I haven't stopped greeting people yet unless they're ill but that's always been true, but I recognize other people might be more distant personally these days vis-a--vis hugs/shaking hands/etc.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

In the United States right now, you can’t get tested for the Coronavirus unless you have proof that you’ve been in contact with someone who has an active case. 

the number of reported cases is dramatically different than the number of active cases. “media driven panic” doesn’t shut down the entire country of fvcking italy.

Therefore the death rate is likely much lower than reported. 

Re Italy: that country has a very old population, and many of their fatalities were elderly people, which probably explains their shut down.

• Like 1

I feel like I'm a rather skeptical person but I just don't see how can anyone look at what's happening in Italy and the USA shutting down all these giant money making festivals, concerts, conventions, and sporting events for absolutely no reason. This virus is clearly more serious than the average flu.

Why would we really be doing this? Destroying so many industries and businesses just to get people to panic? What's the end game then? It doesn't make any sense. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

49 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The media isn't shutting down Italy, the media didn't cancel St. Patrick's day in Ireland, etc.  Stop blaming the media for everything.  The World Health Organization and other medical experts are the ones trying to sound the alarms for people like you sticking their head in the sand saying this isn't as bad as the flu.

Sorry but a st Patrick’s day parade being shut down is not a barometer for determining potency of a virus. Don’t just pick out headlines to conclude that it could become more fatal than the flu. We have actual facts and figures to tell you the opposite.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, devlman said:

Sorry but a st Patrick’s day parade being shut down is not a barometer for determining potency of a virus. Don’t just pick out headlines to conclude that it could become more fatal than the flu. We have actual facts and figures to tell you the opposite.

Not a mere parade, Ireland shut down all of their St. Patrick's Day celebrations.  That's like us shutting down the fourth of July.

SH's post above yours put it better than I ever could.  Billion dollar industries aren't shutting down as part of a hoax or because of the damn media, the media's such an easy scapegoat for everything.  Health organizations around the world aren't parroting the 'this is just the flu' talking point, they're telling people to be on high alert.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I feel like I'm a rather skeptical person but I just don't see how can anyone look at what's happening in Italy and the USA shutting down all these giant money making festivals, concerts, conventions, and sporting events for absolutely no reason. This virus is clearly more serious than the average flu.

Why would we really be doing this? Destroying so many industries and businesses just to get people to panic? What's the end game then? It doesn't make any sense. 

No company wants to be liable or blamed for anyone’s death. So they all follow suit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Did you just pick out “St Patrick’s Day Parade” and ignore the fact that AN ENTIRE FVCKING FIRST WORLD COUNTRY IS CURRENTLY ON LOCK DOWN YOU ABSOLUTE CRAYON EATING BUFFOON.

Calm down, man-child. If you can’t have a conversation without your estrogen levels flaring up then stay out of it. In just another thread you complained about lack of moderation of posts. Quite ironic.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 3

The reasons why COVID-19 is considered more serious than the flu (which itself can be dangerous) are 1) COVID-19 is a new virus strain that is relatively unknown and 2) it has had an unusually high severity/death rate for those infected compared to the flu.  Now the fatality rate at face value is low, from what I've seen 3%, but a 3% fatality rate for anything is an extremely high fatality rate.  Auto racing, which considered probably the most dangerous sport that has wide participation, has much lower than a 3% fatality rate.

Getting back to the NHL (and for that matter the AHL and ECHL), I think it is likely we will see an announcement about games played at empty arenas or suspending the season in the next 1-2 days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Not a mere parade, Ireland shut down all of their St. Patrick's Day celebrations.  That's like us shutting down the fourth of July.

SH's post above yours put it better than I ever could.  Billion dollar industries aren't shutting down as part of a hoax or because of the damn media, the media's such an easy scapegoat for everything.  Health organizations around the world aren't parroting the 'this is just the flu' talking point, they're telling people to be on high alert.

As people should be on high alert. Does shutting down every event, organization, and gathering mean high alert or overreaction?