NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It does seem like it would be very difficult to do, but that said, I do feel bad for teams like the Wild who were one game out of playoff position with plenty to play. But it’s out of everyone’s control.

Maybe just end the regular season and let EVERYONE into the playoffs, so we have a playoff team? ;) 

I'm not joking when I say this, but I wonder what the wording is on that Vancouver pick. If the season is canceled, and they are in a playoff spot does that count as qualifying for the playoffs?

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'm not joking when I say this, but I wonder what the wording is on that Vancouver pick. If the season is canceled, and they are in a playoff spot does that count as qualifying for the playoffs?

Yes........this will screw up all the picks

I work for an IT reseller of both software and hardware.  Over the past 1-2 weeks we have seen a huge spike in what can be described as panic-buying.  Example is an order for 300 laptops have suddenly turned into 900 laptops.  This is stemming from companies rushing to equip their workforce for the eventuality of having to work from home for an extended period of time.  I have never seen anything like that in my 12 years at my company.

This virus is really weird.  I looked at the European cases vs fatality rate earlier this morning and frankly it is all over the place.  I am seeing a 6-7% fatality rate in Italy but a less than 1% fatality rate in Germany.  Either they have different strains, different demographics, different levels of healthcare or a mix of all.  All I know is that this virus spreads like wildfire and to say I am a bit concerned about my 79 and 76-year old parents is a understatement.

Edited by DevsMan84

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I work for an IT reseller of both software and hardware.  Over the past 1-2 weeks we have seen a huge spike in what can be described as panic-buying.  Example is an order for 300 laptops have suddenly turned into 900 laptops.  This is stemming from companies rushing to equipment their workforce for the eventuality of having to work from home for an extended period of time.  I have never seen anything like that in my 12 years at my company.

This virus is really weird.  I looked at the European cases vs fatality rate earlier this morning and frankly it is all over the place.  I am seeing a 6-7% fatality rate in Italy but a less than 1% fatality rate in Germany.  Either they have different strains, different demographics, different levels of healthcare or a mix of all.  All I know is that this virus spreads like wildfire and to say I am a bit concerned about my 79 and 76-year old parents is a understatement.

From stay I’ve read, Italy's higher death rate is connected to having an older population and a delayed response before finally locking down. This is not anything I read from medical professionals though, it was theorized so I'm not stating it as any type of fact. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I work for an IT reseller of both software and hardware.  Over the past 1-2 weeks we have seen a huge spike in what can be described as panic-buying.  Example is an order for 300 laptops have suddenly turned into 900 laptops.  This is stemming from companies rushing to equipment their workforce for the eventuality of having to work from home for an extended period of time.  I have never seen anything like that in my 12 years at my company.

I mentioned earlier that I work for a group of clinicians and psychologists, about 300 in total, and we just ordered 55 webcams for people who don't have one, or don't have laptops with one built-in, so that they can do Telehealth/Telemedicine remotely.  They were cheap, 30 bucks or so each, so it wasn't a huge expense for the ability to conduct business remotely for however long necessary until this eventually returns to normal.  I can definitely see larger organizations with more employees doing more "panic-buying" as you mentioned, with a lot higher costs. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I mentioned earlier that I work for a group of clinicians and psychologists, about 300 in total, and we just ordered 55 webcams for people who don't have one, or don't have laptops with one built-in, so that they can do Telehealth/Telemedicine remotely.  They were cheap, 30 bucks or so each, so it wasn't a huge expense for the ability to conduct business remotely for however long necessary until this eventually returns to normal.  I can definitely see larger organizations with more employees doing more "panic-buying" as you mentioned, with a lot higher costs. 

Yeah it is definitely happening.  The good news is that so far the larger OEM's have been able to keep up with the supply to meet the demand.  Those investments in factories in Central and South America is really paying off now.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

From stay I’ve read, Italy's higher death rate is connected to having an older population and a delayed response before finally locking down. This is not anything I read from medical professionals though, it was theorized so I'm not stating it as any type of fact. 

That is what I have heard too.  I have heard others say that Italy's heathcare is not quite as on-par with other European countries such as the UK and Germany.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's done to prevent the virus from spreading faster and overloading hospitals that can't handle that many people. Why put that many people together when it's just entertainment? 

Yeah, this. The precautions being taken to the slow the spread of the virus do just that: slow it - not stop it. Slowing the virus' spread will lower the toll on the overloaded healthcare system and thus allow medical workers to meet the demand for care. While there is no approved treatment for the virus, the ability of hospitals to manage the symptoms of high-risk patients (the elderly and those with certain preexisting conditions) could mean saving the lives of many of those people. If everyone gets sick at the same time, doctors and nurses simply won't be able to provide sufficient care and such could mean a catastrophe. That said, the virus will in all likelihood, end up infecting tens to hundreds of millions of people in this country by some point, no matter the precautions we take.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Yeah, this. The precautions being taken to the slow the spread of the virus do just that: slow it - not stop it. Slowing the virus' spread will lower the toll on the overloaded healthcare system and thus allow medical workers to meet the demand for care. While there is no approved treatment for the virus, the ability of hospitals to manage the symptoms of high-risk patients (the elderly and those with certain preexisting conditions) could mean saving the lives of many of those people. If everyone gets sick at the same time, doctors and nurses simply won't be able to provide sufficient care and such could mean a catastrophe.

The chart that outlines that is quite incredible. Of course I’m on the phone and service is atrocious so I can’t find it/post it.

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm hoping I can just take a credit for the last 7 games and put it towards next season's renewal. I had no desire to go to anymore games before any of this happened as it is lol

Would seem fair, hopefully they offer you guys some options.

• Like 1