NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

52 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Yeah, this. The precautions being taken to the slow the spread of the virus do just that: slow it - not stop it. Slowing the virus' spread will lower the toll on the overloaded healthcare system and thus allow medical workers to meet the demand for care. While there is no approved treatment for the virus, the ability of hospitals to manage the symptoms of high-risk patients (the elderly and those with certain preexisting conditions) could mean saving the lives of many of those people. If everyone gets sick at the same time, doctors and nurses simply won't be able to provide sufficient care and such could mean a catastrophe. That said, the virus will in all likelihood, end up infecting tens to hundreds of millions of people in this country by some point, no matter the precautions we take.

Why isn’t this precaution taken whenever a bad flu strain is about? Is there data that the covid infection rate is higher than that of the flu? Is the hospitalization rate higher than that of the flu? The mortality rate floated about is likely overstated. 

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Why isn’t this precaution taken whenever a bad flu strain is about? Is there data that the covid infection rate is higher than that of the flu? Is the hospitalization rate higher than that of the flu? The mortality rate floated about is likely overstated. 

There are flu vaccines, we don't have that for this currently. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah but to be fair you're a cheat code

You, on the other hand, I think I like more and more every day. 

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

There are flu vaccines, we don't have that for this currently. 

Yeah, and 30,000 people die from it DESPITE a vaccine being available. 

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, and 30,000 people die from it DESPITE a vaccine being available. 

The hospitals aren't overwhelmed like they would be with a brand new virus, that's the biggest difference. Look at the chart on the previous page. Having large events that are strictly for entertainment with thousands of people increases the odds of spreading the virus to the point  that the hospitals will end up not having enough staff or beds for people. 

12 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

The hospitals aren't overwhelmed like they would be with a brand new virus, that's the biggest difference. Look at the chart on the previous page. Having large events that are strictly for entertainment with thousands of people increases the odds of spreading the virus to the point  that the hospitals will end up not having enough staff or beds for people. 

It’s a good drawing. If there’s any truth behind it that will be bad. 

Apart of the fact that it's not a "regular flu" (i will enter this debate.. it's pointless) there is no reason not to do anything possible to avoid putting life of old people and people with severe conditions on the line because of sport events or all that. 

Let's be serious and responsable... Let's have less activities for few weeks and that will fine. 

5 minutes ago, moustic said:

Apart of the fact that it's not a "regular flu" (i will enter this debate.. it's pointless) there is no reason not to do anything possible to avoid putting life of old people and people with severe conditions on the line because of sport events or all that. 

Let's be serious and responsable... Let's have less activities for few weeks and that will fine. 

That makes sense. 

3 hours ago, devlman said:

Because we've tacitly accepted that doing so is bad for business. Many people also choose not to get the flu shot even when they have affordable access to it. This in itself costs many people their lives - but because any given death can't be traced back to a single individual, no one bears the weight of guilt. If there was more social pressure to get the vaccine and stay home when you have the flu, less people would die.

I want to be really careful when speaking about the current Coronavirus strain (SARS-CoV-2), because there's so little we know about it yet. We don't even know for sure how it will respond to warmer temperatures. The studies on it are just beginning and what's out there often isn't peer reviewed or includes small or problematic samples. Given that we have no idea about just how bad this virus is or what its mutations will look like, its extra important that we slow it down. One [non-peer reviewed] paper I read did seem to suggest that healthy young/middle aged people probably become much less infectious (or not contagious at all) after about 10 days or so (https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.05.20030502v1.full.pdf). If that's true, then the two-week quarantines that have been so widely recommended (or in some countries mandated) may just go a long way in slowing the spread of the virus. There was a very small sample size in that study though.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

man if we win tonight and that they somehow just go with an average points per game for the final standings for the draft that might not be good for us cause we have a few games in hands and could jump a few positions. I'd really like to be at least top 5

I think we'd be locked in at 6,  ppg is listed on tankathon...were identical to buffalo and they have 1 more win... we wouldn't have the chance to up-close to the kings and pass them for 5th.  It's up to the lottery balls now..

28 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

I think we'd be locked in at 6,  ppg is listed on tankathon...were identical to buffalo and they have 1 more win... we wouldn't have the chance to up-close to the kings and pass them for 5th.  It's up to the lottery balls now..

yeah lets just hope nobody past us wins the lottery