NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

7 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

I'm watching '95 ECF, the pivotal Game 5. I had forgotten how great Ron Hextall played in this game before he gave up the softie to Claude Lemieux. This was a terrific hockey game, and Hextall giveth and taketh away.

That was part of the problem with Hextall...he could play well for long stretches, but could also give up that absolute backbreaker of a "huh what?!" goal at the worst possible time.  

On 5/4/2020 at 4:28 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Kinda sorta remember that one a little...very vaguely though.  All I'll say about it is that it was a very 80s game...lots of goals.  

One of the last games just before Sean Burke joined the Devils...god did they need him badly.  Sauve was decent for that era (and had a knack for coming up with big games as a backup), but Chevrier was pretty bad.  Burke took a little while to settle in, but over his last seven games heading into the playoffs, he was brilliant...put up a .930 save%.  Compared to Chevy and Sauve, Burke really did seem like a brick wall at the time.  

Speaking of goaltending, I didn't realize just how rotten the Devils' goaltending was in 1987-88 before Burke arrived.  The Devils got off to a fine 15-9-4 start (they would often get off to respectable to good starts as the 80s wore on, before falling apart) partly due to Chevrier enjoying perhaps the best regular season stretch of his career, but the Devils then went through a brutal 13-25-1 stretch that saw Chevrier put up an .832 save% over 22 GP (?!) and Sauve put up an .869 save% over 23 GP (back then that was the top end of pretty bad to the bottom end of mediocre, depending on how one chooses to look at it).  Sauve did just well enough in some spot starts after Burke's arrival that he wound up becoming the official backup (he would make five appearances and three starts during the 1988 Cinderella playoff run).  Chevy would get one more look before Burke truly established himself, but was effectively mothballed after March 8 (Burke joined the Devils on March 1).  Chevy would never (and quite rightly) never suit up again for the Devils after that one last loss.  He actually had a nice run with Chicago in 1989 (somehow put up a .909 save% in 16 playoff games, where he had established himself as their #1 goalie by default...Belfour was in the fold but not quite ready yet), but faltered with the Blackhawks in 1989-90, and just 45 games and 2 seasons later after he managed to help Chicago reach their Conference Finals, he was done in the NHL.

I remember Chevy being plenty pissed that he had become the forgotten man...but even then, I remember thinking "Yeah, but dude...you're REALLY bad at goaltending.  REALLY REALLY not good."  He was pretty tickled when he beat the Devils (and Burke) during his time with the Blackhawks...I watched that game at a bud's house, and to Chevy's credit, he did come up big in that one.  Only allowed one goal on 39 shots.  

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That was part of the problem with Hextall...he could play well for long stretches, but could also give up that absolute backbreaker of a "huh what?!" goal at the worst possible time.  

That's basically been Cory's Devils career.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

What game is this on Devs Rewind?

Playoff game v. Toronto, but info says November of 2001

It’s game 3 of the 2001 Eastern Conference Semis. The game before Nieds was assaulted by that scumbag Domi. Devs won 3-2 in OT.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It’s game 3 of the 2001 Eastern Conference Semis. The game before Nieds was assaulted by that scumbag Domi. Devs won 3-2 in OT.

This the double banker? Or was that one not in OT?  I usually remember that sh!t

57 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not sure.... I know Rafalski gets the OT winner, but I’m not sure I remember a ‘double banker’. 

Lol, I meant off a skate........big deflection if I recall correctly. Recorded it, going to finish now

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Lol, I meant off a skate........big deflection if I recall correctly. Recorded it, going to finish now

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not sure.... I know Rafalski gets the OT winner, but I’m not sure I remember a ‘double banker’. 

"Long banker" lol

My memory is still there

• Like 1

I would need your help please ! I'm a little bit lost about the NHL situation : What"s the status of this season (i'm pretty sure nobody knows... But is there any calendar mark for a decision ? ). I also read stuff about a draft in June ? Without the season to end ?  If that's correct, we will use the current standing to define draft position ? Is it just a rumor or official ? 

And... are you all ok with the current situation ? (i'm turning little bit crazy after more than 50 days of quarantine... ) 

9 hours ago, moustic said:

I would need your help please ! I'm a little bit lost about the NHL situation : What"s the status of this season (i'm pretty sure nobody knows... But is there any calendar mark for a decision ? ). I also read stuff about a draft in June ? Without the season to end ?  If that's correct, we will use the current standing to define draft position ? Is it just a rumor or official ? 

And... are you all ok with the current situation ? (i'm turning little bit crazy after more than 50 days of quarantine... ) 

The NHL is trying to hold the virtual draft in early June. They can force the issue and it's probably going to fly.(after objections from GM's) They're discussing how to do lottery & draft order. There have been ideas floated about some kind of regular season finale, or just going directly to playoffs with whomever is in position now. It has to be signed off on by NHLPA.  They're also trying to have it (possibly) 4 sites (one from each division)  that can accommodate all teams housing/practices etc. Nothing has been settled but an announcement may come soon. At least on the draft. The arenas will be pretty much empty for now. Still being hammered out

• Thanks 1

Just now, jagknife said:

Just give me sports already.

I know Bundesliga (my German sucks and I refuse to look it up before I click post, sue me) starts a week from today (I think) so once half of them get covid I’m sure all leagues will call it quits 

Hey, you have Korean baseball, what more do you want??

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

bring on the 24 teams playoffs right away if it means we're #6 from only 7 teams who can win the lottery instead of 16. 

We also then get a first from both the Yotes and Nucks, AND our third from Arizona becomes a second if they win A playoff round. All assuming they don’t do the draft in 30 days of course

• Like 1

If the players association approve,  and government allows, let's start the playoffs now.. after a two week camp..  dont care if it's in empty arenas.  Can in fan noise and music. TV ratings would be the highest in history..  cant watch anymore swedish harness racing reruns....

3 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

If the players association approve,  and government allows, let's start the playoffs now.. after a two week camp..  dont care if it's in empty arenas.  Can in fan noise and music. TV ratings would be the highest in history..  cant watch anymore swedish harness racing reruns....

I lean towards the ratings would be in the sh!tter.  The apathy for an already niche sport would be at an all-time high imo.

Edited by titans04

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

I lean towards the ratings would be in the sh!tter.  The apathy for an already niche sport would be at an all-time high imo.

Really, that's an interesting take. People are trapped in there home with zero real sports.. imo, if they are the only game in town, more fringe fans will watch.. hmmm.  Not sure if well get a chance to see..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

Really, that's an interesting take. People are trapped in there home with zero real sports.. imo, if they are the only game in town, more fringe fans will watch.. hmmm.  Not sure if well get a chance to see..

hoping for those that still care you guys get the chance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

I watch very little hockey that doesn’t involve the Devils. I would watch any hockey they played right now. 

• Like 2

So, finally learning more about the logistics of this new draft..

Only one lotto ball now? Can't jump past a certain point?

This just reeks of the league trying to help Detroit, much like they helped the Penguins with Crosby..

It just de-legitimizes the whole thing for me a bit. The NHL could at least TRY to hide the fact that they're helping the Red Wings out big time.

7 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

He might not be wrong though, WWE has still been putting out new content every week without fans and just had their worst rating ever on Monday... 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alfredkonuwa/2020/05/06/wwe-raw-bottoms-out-with-lowest-viewership-in-history/