NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

14 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Which is why the season needs to be cancelled. This ‘playoffs’ garbage is never gonna get off the ground. If it does, it won’t get far.

Not to mention how it could perpetually fook up the NHL calendar for years. Reading potential January start dates for the 2020-21 season is lunacy.

Anyone think that the league will have a PR problem if when the lottery hits on 6/26, all 3 picks come from teams in the play in round.    Would look REALLY bad for them IMO. 

Then you may have fans rooting for their teams to lose in play in.  3 shots out of 8 (37.5 %) to get into the top 3!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

Anyone think that the league will have a PR problem if when the lottery hits on 6/26, all 3 picks come from teams in the play in round.    Would look REALLY bad for them IMO. 

Then you may have fans rooting for their teams to lose in play in.  3 shots out of 8 (37.5 %) to get into the top 3!!

The odds of all 3 being for a play in loser are really high, just don't see that happening. 1 of them will probably happen though. Hopefully it's not 2.

Fans rooting against their own team won't be a big deal since there won't be fans at the games and it's happened in the past anyway with fans at games. I know Buffalo fans were cheering against their team in the building because they wanted McDavid lol

5 hours ago, MB3 said:

I mean the post literally already says "he is recovered". I think we'll see a Cup winner this year, and I'm really excited to watch it. 

I don't think it's garbage. It's a legitimate attempt at bringing sports back, which is more than baseball can say. 

I hope you’re right brother. I’d love to be wrong on this one. Believe me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MB3 said:

I mean the post literally already says "he is recovered". I think we'll see a Cup winner this year, and I'm really excited to watch it. 

I don't think it's garbage. It's a legitimate attempt at bringing sports back, which is more than baseball can say. 

What an embarrassment baseball is

On 6/5/2020 at 1:59 PM, Satans Hockey said:

The odds of all 3 being for a play in loser are really high, just don't see that happening. 1 of them will probably happen though. Hopefully it's not 2.

Fans rooting against their own team won't be a big deal since there won't be fans at the games and it's happened in the past anyway with fans at games. I know Buffalo fans were cheering against their team in the building because they wanted McDavid lol

It's about a 25% chance for each pick.  I guess if memory serves me right that would be a 1/64 chance of this happening.  Which brings it to 1.5%. Is it possible, yes, probably no.

But you are right, I bet you one of those teams move up!  

I think the NBA did a better job at coming up with a game plan for the playoffs than the NHL. 

MLS just announced what they are doing as well but they were only 2 games into their regular season. I don't care for this tournament though, I'd rather just see regular season games be played... 

https://www.mlssoccer.com/MLS-is-back-tournament

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I think the NBA did a better job at coming up with a game plan for the playoffs than the NHL. 

MLS just announced what they are doing as well but they were only 2 games into their regular season. I don't care for this tournament though, I'd rather just see regular season games be played... 

https://www.mlssoccer.com/MLS-is-back-tournament

What did the NBA do?

28 minutes ago, Crisis said:

What did the NBA do?

I copied the important parts over. I also like that they are holding the NBA draft lotto after the "regular season" is finished unlike the NHL. I don't follow the NBA but this format seems way more fair to teams already in playoff spots and ones that had a possibility to make the playoffs than the one the NHL rolled out...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkay/2020/06/10/2020-nba-season-restart-schedule-participants-playoff-odds-news-on-basketballs-return-to-play/#73aa6645745b

22 of 30 teams—the 16 current playoff teams and the six teams within six games of their conference’s No. 8 seed—return to action for a brief, eight-game finish to the regular season, plus a potential play-in tournament to determine the last seed in each conference. 

There is a potential of a play-in tournament for the No. 8 seed in each conference as well, which would be triggered by the No. 9 team finishing within four games of the No. 8 seed. Those teams would match up in a series where the stronger record side would need just one win to secure their position in the 2020 NBA Playoffs, while the lower team would have to win two games in a row to usurp the spot.

Each of the 22 teams involved in the NBA’s abbreviated return will play eight seeding games to help finalize the 2020 NBA Playoff bracket. Each team is scheduled to play the opponents that it would have faced prior to the shutdown, although because eight franchises weren’t invited to Orlando, teams that had a matchup with one of the eliminated squads on the docket will instead move on to the next in line. 

The lottery will involve the usual 14 teams that do not make the postseason, although it will be based on the standings from March 11, the final day of the 2019-2020 season prior to the shutdown. If a team was in the bottom 14 on that date but makes it into the postseason, it will not be eligible for the lottery, while teams that miss out on a playoff seed and lose more games in Orlando cannot improve their lottery odds. The lottery is scheduled to be held on August 25, with the draft itself slated for October 15.

Edited by Satans Hockey

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I copied the important parts over. I also like that they are holding the NBA draft lotto after the "regular season" is finished unlike the NHL. I don't follow the NBA but this format seems way more fair to teams already in playoff spots and ones that had a possibility to make the playoffs than the one the NHL rolled out...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkay/2020/06/10/2020-nba-season-restart-schedule-participants-playoff-odds-news-on-basketballs-return-to-play/#73aa6645745b

22 of 30 teams—the 16 current playoff teams and the six teams within six games of their conference’s No. 8 seed—return to action for a brief, eight-game finish to the regular season, plus a potential play-in tournament to determine the last seed in each conference. 

There is a potential of a play-in tournament for the No. 8 seed in each conference as well, which would be triggered by the No. 9 team finishing within four games of the No. 8 seed. Those teams would match up in a series where the stronger record side would need just one win to secure their position in the 2020 NBA Playoffs, while the lower team would have to win two games in a row to usurp the spot.

Each of the 22 teams involved in the NBA’s abbreviated return will play eight seeding games to help finalize the 2020 NBA Playoff bracket. Each team is scheduled to play the opponents that it would have faced prior to the shutdown, although because eight franchises weren’t invited to Orlando, teams that had a matchup with one of the eliminated squads on the docket will instead move on to the next in line. 

The lottery will involve the usual 14 teams that do not make the postseason, although it will be based on the standings from March 11, the final day of the 2019-2020 season prior to the shutdown. If a team was in the bottom 14 on that date but makes it into the postseason, it will not be eligible for the lottery, while teams that miss out on a playoff seed and lose more games in Orlando cannot improve their lottery odds. The lottery is scheduled to be held on August 25, with the draft itself slated for October 15.

Part of that too, though, is that they watched the backlash for the NHL and changed it for the better. NHL lead the way in trying to come back to play, for once, they just over complicated it for some stupid freaking reason.

At least neither is baseball, trying to cry poverty while wanting to play fewer games and what not. What a sh!t show that sport is being right now.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 1:09 PM, Satans Hockey said:

Training camps opening July 10th...

So "Training Camps" aren't beginning until July 10th...how long are they going to last?  The normal playoffs tend to last about 2 months, and it sounds like we're going to need at least that amount of time because the series lengths from what I've heard will all be 7 games, plus we have this initial "play-in" round, so if the season/playoffs don't resume until mid-July then I don't see any way that the 2020-21 season starts on time in October.  Maybe that's already been decided, but I haven't seen it yet.  

Also, I might be missing something obvious here, and I have admittedly not paid too much attention to the details, but.... can someone explain how exactly 24 teams are supposed to play in one city/stadium?  I just don't see how it's possible with so many games to be played.  If you figure half the teams play one day and the other half the next day, that's still 12 teams per day which is 6 games, and with a hockey game being about 3 hours long, that's 18 hours out of a 24 hour day... are they just going to play 'round the clock, from 6am til midnight?!  I don't see how it's logistically possible, especially when you consider other gameday activities and responsibilities that go into leading up to actually playing (cleaning the ice, locker rooms, etc).  

33 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

So "Training Camps" aren't beginning until July 10th...how long are they going to last?  The normal playoffs tend to last about 2 months, and it sounds like we're going to need at least that amount of time because the series lengths from what I've heard will all be 7 games, plus we have this initial "play-in" round, so if the season/playoffs don't resume until mid-July then I don't see any way that the 2020-21 season starts on time in October.  Maybe that's already been decided, but I haven't seen it yet.  

Also, I might be missing something obvious here, and I have admittedly not paid too much attention to the details, but.... can someone explain how exactly 24 teams are supposed to play in one city/stadium?  I just don't see how it's possible with so many games to be played.  If you figure half the teams play one day and the other half the next day, that's still 12 teams per day which is 6 games, and with a hockey game being about 3 hours long, that's 18 hours out of a 24 hour day... are they just going to play 'round the clock, from 6am til midnight?!  I don't see how it's logistically possible, especially when you consider other gameday activities and responsibilities that go into leading up to actually playing (cleaning the ice, locker rooms, etc).  

Next season isn't going to start until late 2020 or maybe even 2021. 

There's going to be 2 hub cities, that part they announced already. Vegas is a big rumor to be one since they have so many hotels that the NHL can just take over but nothing is officially announced yet as to which ones.

26 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Next season isn't going to start until late 2020 or maybe even 2021. 

There's going to be 2 hub cities, that part they announced already. Vegas is a big rumor to be one since they have so many hotels that the NHL can just take over but nothing is officially announced yet as to which ones.

Oh gotcha - I was under the impression that there was just going to be one city, and that they were down to two potential choices - I guess I heard that wrong.  Thanks for clarifying.

I really wish they would have condensed or shortened these playoffs so that next season could have started as close to on-time as possible and not ruin or tarnish two separate seasons, but I guess with the way things are going around the country and even the world, it may not have been likely for the season to start in October anyway. 

Here I am overthinking things again - but is anyone else worried about our team regressing and/or not progressing with all this downtime?  I'd love to think all of our guys are maintaining training regimens and all that but.. let's be honest, I'll bet more than a handful are rocking solid quarantine bods like the rest of us.

I just can't imagine if our guys aren't practicing together until, what, October/November that there won't be some serious rust to shake off while these other 24 teams are going to be relatively ready to get back into action.

7 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Here I am overthinking things again - but is anyone else worried about our team regressing and/or not progressing with all this downtime?  I'd love to think all of our guys are maintaining training regimens and all that but.. let's be honest, I'll bet more than a handful are rocking solid quarantine bods like the rest of us.

I just can't imagine if our guys aren't practicing together until, what, October/November that there won't be some serious rust to shake off while these other 24 teams are going to be relatively ready to get back into action.

Jack is obviously the player I’m focused on the most, and according to an article from The Athletic a while back he has been working out with his brothers in Michigan at their home gym. Apparently their parents live really close to USNDT complex, and they received a bunch of equipment from them. Which was encouraging. Even after Quinn returns to camp at least Jack can continue to work out with young Luke. Not really worried about Nico either honestly as far as staying in shape. You said that kid doing them crazy flips online? Lol. The rest? Who knows...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Well, unfortunately there's nothing we can do about it. If it were me, I would be constantly training if I was a pro athlete. But I bet some of them have let themselves have a little "me" time. 

Personally, I'm down 15 pounds since March. Maybe another 5 pounds on top of that as of yesterday because I finally had my hair cut. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Personally, I'm down 15 pounds since March. Maybe another 5 pounds on top of that as of yesterday because I finally had my hair cut. 

Respect.  I'm a snacker by nature (probably my worst habit) so it's all-too-easy to just grab a bag of pretzels while I'm sitting at my home desk here and snack away while working.

Awful habit.  I clearly have no impulse control.