NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

yeah i agree that Elias is very very borderline. I'd be happy if he gets in but also have to be conscious of what sort of floodgate it would open. There's been a LOT of players like him in the league. So if Elias gets in then every fan base we feel justified to push their own versions of that lol

I personally don't NEED Elias to be in the HOF. He was VERY special for us and his # will be in the rafters forever. That's good enough for me.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah i agree that Elias is very very borderline. I'd be happy if he gets in but also have to be conscious of what sort of floodgate it would open. There's been a LOT of players like him in the league. So if Elias gets in then every fan base we feel justified to push their own versions of that lol

I personally don't NEED Elias to be in the HOF. He was VERY special for us and his # will be in the rafters forever. That's good enough for me

The funny thing is much as I don't like playing amateur psychologist, I suspect Elias is probably happy with everything he accomplished too, and with having spent his whole career here, on one team (along with winning a pair of Cups and yeah, owning what is looking like the last Devils number to be retired for a long long time).  I'm sure he would love to be in the Hall someday, but I don't think it's going to crush him if he ultimately never gets in.  A lot of players would kill to have enjoyed a similar career, Hall or no Hall.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The funny thing is much as I don't like playing amateur psychologist, I suspect Elias is probably happy with everything he accomplished too, and with having spent his whole career here, on one team (along with winning a pair of Cups and yeah, owning what is looking like the last Devils number to be retired for a long long time).  I'm sure he would love to be in the Hall someday, but I don't think it's going to crush him if he ultimately never gets in.  A lot of players would kill to have enjoyed a similar career, Hall or no Hall.  

I assume it's like actors without Oscars... most of my fav actors were never in Oscar bait movies so never had the chance at it BUT are still legendary actors with huge accomplishment behind them.

i'm a bit biased cause to me Oscars are just a circlejerk and very exclusive club of elitist who think the stuff they love (generally dramas, biopics and historical stuff) is above the rest, can't stand it.

The Letterman clip was great. Dave was king back then and very funny.  

Loved that there was a bunch of NJ people in the audience screaming hard for our boys. 

The Richter mistake was excusable, but the Tennessee references were annoying. But proved Dave was up on the sports news anyway.

Enjoying the nostalgia today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Related -- CR, you likely already saw this -- I completely forgot Alfredsson didn't spend his entire career with the Senators. Totally blanked on his non-OTT season to end his career.

Without looking it up, anyone else remember him playing on that other team? HockeyDB has confirmed it's true, but I don't have any memories (or highlights in my brain) from that season.

Kinda like Modano's last season... though I remember that, and Alfredsson fared better.

3 minutes ago, insanity_gallops said:

Related -- CR, you likely already saw this -- I completely forgot Alfredsson didn't spend his entire career with the Senators. Totally blanked on his non-OTT season to end his career.

Without looking it up, anyone else remember him playing on that other team? HockeyDB has confirmed it's true, but I don't have any memories (or highlights in my brain) from that season.

Kinda like Modano's last season... though I remember that, and Alfredsson fared better.

I probably would've forgotten it too if you hadn't mentioned it, but now that you did, it sounds familiar....didn't he go to a rival, wasn't it Toronto?  

EDIT:  I just looked and saw who it was... wouldn't have guessed them, but now I do remember.  Kinda random destination.

Edited by NJDfan1711

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I probably would've forgotten it too if you hadn't mentioned it, but now that you did, it sounds familiar....didn't he go to a rival, wasn't it Toronto?  

EDIT:  I just looked and saw who it was... wouldn't have guessed them, but now I do remember.  Kinda random destination.

The Red Wings were no strangers to bringing in aging bigger-name vets (even if they’re pretty well past their primes).

• Like 2

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2020/06/29/26-nhl-players-have-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-since-the-opening-of-phase-2/

"26 players in total have tested positive since June 8, the opening of Phase 2 small-group activities. 15 have tested positive when returning to their NHL practice facilities while another 11 players tested positive “outside of the Phase 2 protocol.”

So if they end up canceling before the play in, what happens to the 1OA?

29 minutes ago, Crisis said:

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2020/06/29/26-nhl-players-have-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-since-the-opening-of-phase-2/

"26 players in total have tested positive since June 8, the opening of Phase 2 small-group activities. 15 have tested positive when returning to their NHL practice facilities while another 11 players tested positive “outside of the Phase 2 protocol.”

So if they end up canceling before the play in, what happens to the 1OA?

Probably do an entirely new lotto show where everyone gets a shot but the entire thing is weighted on point percentage or whatever. 

48 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Probably do an entirely new lotto show where everyone gets a shot but the entire thing is weighted on point percentage or whatever. 

Just slide everyone up one pick and give the worst of the would be play-in teams #8. 

43 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Just slide everyone up one pick and give the worst of the would be play-in teams #8. 

Not how it's going to work. The play-in teams will all have the same percentage chance of getting the #1 pick in a lottery just for that pick.

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Pretty sure Friedman said if they can’t finish the season, the eight play-in teams would have their own lottery for the pick.

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Pretty sure Friedman said if they can’t finish the season, the eight play-in teams would have their own lottery for the pick.

Makes more sense than re-doing the entire lottery. 

Maybe if they can't finish the season they should do a lottery to see who gets the Stanley Cup too. And also fvck Doug Wilson, we're doing a HOF lottery too. 

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Doesn't it seem like double talk? Culture demands a toughness that promotes playing injured or not opting out whatever, yet they can't be tough enough to stick to their guns and opt out if they feel it is unsafe or don't want to return to play? 

• Like 1

Never read Deadspin, so hard for me to agree with the whole tearing up hockey culture aspect. Always a few jerks in every group, but overwhelmingly still seems to me the hockey culture is far above the other 3 major sports.

Anyway, the players should be telling donald fehr the way they really feel. Not to the reporter anonymously.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Doesn't it seem like double talk? Culture demands a toughness that promotes playing injured or not opting out whatever, yet they can't be tough enough to stick to their guns and opt out if they feel it is unsafe or don't want to return to play? 

Yeah if guys don’t feel safe, they need to speak up. If it upsets your teammates, tough sh!t. It’s literally a life and death situation. And how about guys who are high risk like Max Domi, Kakko (both diabetics), or guys like Brian Boyle or Oskar Lindblom? Those guys shouldn’t even be thinking about playing hockey right now.

Rick Dudley is  retiring from Canes. I wondered if he could be like Scotty Bowman,  a 'consultant" for NJD's? The guy's had a ton of success. He is however 71, but I heard today (XM radio) guy can still bench press mad weights. Maybe he's just tired,  and walking away altogether.