NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/details-emerge-on-expected-new-nhl-agreement-1.1492091

Details of the new CBA which guarantees labor peace through 24-25 (unless I just misquoted, high probability I did)

With the cap remaining static it's good news for teams that currently have space (like the Devils) but teams that are up against it will be in trouble. There will be a few more players not getting re-signed by their clubs and maybe a few more trades possible now. I also read somewhere (so could be complete BS) that there won't be any compliance buy outs this season. I guess that means that Cory will be staying around for a least another season.

• Like 2

Devils-Edmonton from November 1,1989 is on MSG+ right now. Love watching these old games. I was in 5th grade back then, and this was probably a 9:30 start, so there’s no way I would’ve been allowed to stay up for this one lol.

Edited by MadDog2020

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Devils-Edmonton from November 1,1989 is on MSG+ right now. Love watching these old games. I was in 5th grade back then, and this was probably a 9:30 start, so there’s no way I would’ve been allowed to stay up for this one lol.

I was 4, my knowledge of hockey back then was the far guy, skinny guy and normal guy on NES. Didn’t even know about Blades of Steel.

My real taste was NHLPA 93 for SNES. We still had the Christmas trees then too

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I was 19 and in college...in the thick of pledging a fraternity.  This game wound up being the second-to-last of Jim Schoenfeld’s coaching career with the Devils...after a 7-3 loss to the Flames that knocked the Devils down to 6-6-2, Lou fired him and replaced him with John Cunniff.  I remember Schoenfeld being quite stunned by the news...and Lou being concerned by the Devils’ slow start in home games that season.

Was a weird season, that in some ways mirrored 1987-88...they didn’t get off to as good of a start, but a mid-season slump threatened to derail things until a season-closing surge saved their year.  Unfortunately no Cinderella run (they were bounced in six games in the first round by the Caps).  Loved when Lou dealt Turgeon for Lemieux...Turgeon had his moments, but you could tell the guy had “loser” written all over him.  Was also the beginning of Terreri thoroughly outplaying Burke.

And on a side note, poor Aaron Broten.  He'd been a decent Devil through the leaner years, but was playing poorly enough that Lou decided it was finally time to move on from him during that 1989-90 season, dealing him to the North Stars for Bob Brooke...I kinda remember Brooke's debut coming in that Russian Super Series game (against Dynamo Moscow, in January 1990...my dad took me to the game as a X-mas present.  Devils won 7-1...Myshkin (who had replaced Tretiak in the Miracle On Ice game) was the starting goalie for Dynamo.  Dynamo had pretty cool jerseys...a rich blue with a script "D" on the front, with the straight part of the "D" formed by a sword).  But after having spent several seasons as a Rocky and Devil (581 games with the franchise), Broten couldn't find a home...he went from the North Stars to the Nordiques to the Maple Leafs to the Jets, never playing more than 35 games with any of his new teams.  Apparently he was quite upset about this after a while, especially when the Nordiques traded him...he simply felt completely unwanted.  He retired pretty early (Age 31 season), but all in all, had a pretty good career for a former 6th round (102nd overall) pick.  

And looking back on it, I remember Schoenfeld being stunned AND plenty pissed about being canned...I got the impression that he didn't think he was on such a short leash (even though the Devils has struggled during his first full season, in 1988-89) and pointed out that though the Devils were indeed off to a slow start at home, they had won their first four road games in 1989 under his watch.  It wasn't looking like it was going to get much better under Cunniff, until the very end of the season.  The 1989-90 Devils were that classic .500-ish "tease" kind of team...they'd have moments where you would think that they might be able to do a little something (they could score some, though they were only middle-of-the-pack offensively), but others where they'd look kinda hopeless.  Both Fetisov and Kasatonov (he joined the team in January) admitted that they weren't used to being a part of teams that would get caught in extended funks, and that at times it was frustrating to deal with. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, eldon said:

Real reason he was fired was because he benched Fetisov, who deserved it. Lou no like.

Definitely was a factor, but I think Lou also thought that whatever magic Schoenfeld had in leading the Devils to the 1988 Wales Conference Finals had run out:

https://nypost.com/2015/01/24/from-ussr-best-buds-to-nhl-enemies-how-politics-divided-2-ex-devils/

Some good stuff there from Fetisov and Schoenfeld.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I know some NFL teams have been offering the option to skip next season for season ticket holders but this is the first one I believe to flat out just say everyone is getting deffered. In any fans are allowed in its only going to be 14k or less... 

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/2020-ravens-season-tickets-to-be-deferred

I think this will definitely lead to the NHL having to do something similar next season. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

5 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Dec 1 - likely a wishful thinking. But a target because I think that month is usually pretty good for crowds post-college football, kids are home from school (if they are even at school). 

But hey why not, less than 5 months to hockey!

I think having normal sized crowds is more wishful thinking than having the season be played but definitely going to be interesting. Personally I'm just hoping for a defferrment to the next season so I don't have to battle with the front office to get it. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’ll watch. One benefit of hockey in the summer is that TV is ass right now and there’s nothing else to watch. 

Off-topic but have you checked out a series called High Town?  It’s quite good.

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Off-topic but have you checked out a series called High Town?  It’s quite good.

I have not, but given how you and I seem to be into the same stuff, I sure will. I trust a suggestion by you. 

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I have not, but given how you and I seem to be into the same stuff, I sure will. I trust a suggestion by you. 

The season finale is coming up this Sunday (Episode 8), but I only started watching it last week.  Starz had a “Watch All of the Episodes Day” last week (6 at that point I think, with the 7th debuting later that evening), so I recorded them.  Basically watched all of them in a two-day period.  It’s like a good book that you can’t put down...we’d finish an episode (they run about an hour each), and then I’d ask my wife “Another one?”...to which she never said no.  I have a couple of minor quibbles with it, but it really sucked me in.  And it’s already been picked up for a second season.