Sign in to follow this  
Satans Hockey

NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Gretzky and Mario had their best years before my time.  With that in mind, there are only two players in their prime that scared me as an opposing fan every time they had the puck, Lindros and Jagr.  I can't say the same thing about Crosby or McDavid.  Ovehckin might be kind of close, except for the fact that he has played virtually no important games against the Devils. 

The comparison to Jagr is high praise and well-deserved. Lindros was that scary good.

2 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

The comparison to Jagr is high praise and well-deserved. Lindros was that scary good.

Devils actually did a pretty good job neutralizing Lindros...while it’s not like his numbers sucked vs the Devils (39 points in 41 GP), it did feel like when push came to shove, the Devils would always find a way to beat his Flyer teams.  He didn’t scare me that much...looking at his career splits, there’s other teams that he hurt a lot more.

His numbers were quite beastly for a while, and if he hadn’t missed so many games, he would’ve deserved to get into the HHoF based on short-term dominance.  But my beef is that in the time that he played, you just couldn’t count on him to ever stay healthy.  760 GP in 13 seasons.  He had Hall of Fame talent and for most of his time with the Flyers that was fully on display when he was on the ice, but sadly due to health and concussions, he didn’t really have a Hall of Fame career.  And I think he got in more due to his obvious talent and what could have been, than what actually was.  

I think Lindros being in the HHOF makes sense.  He really was one of the top 3 players in the years he was at least mostly healthy.

Neil Smith mentioned more than once at the expo that from about 94-95 through the early 2000's that the rest of the Eastern Conference literally were building their teams to compete with Lindros and the Flyer's size.  The other Eastern Conference GM's saw the path to the SCF as having to go through the Flyers at some point.

15 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think Lindros being in the HHOF makes sense.  He really was one of the top 3 players in the years he was at least mostly healthy.

Neil Smith mentioned more than once at the expo that from about 94-95 through the early 2000's that the rest of the Eastern Conference literally were building their teams to compete with Lindros and the Flyer's size.  The other Eastern Conference GM's saw the path to the SCF as having to go through the Flyers at some point.

Problem was that the truly beastly version of Lindros not only missed a boatload of games, but was effectively done by the time he was 29 (558 GP through 9 seasons to that point...he also sat out the 2000-01 season waiting for a trade).  He did play in over 200 games and four more seasons after that, but was a shell of what he had been before.  

I think part of being able to get in on short-term dominance (especially if it's a flawed sample, like it is with Lindros, who could never be counted on to stay healthy) is having that truly memorable moment or playoff run...say, if he had lit it up against the Red Wings in the SCF on the way to a championship (the way that dominated against the Rangers in the ECF on the way to that Detroit matchup).  Also hurting him is the fact that it sure feels like Quebec/Colorado won that blockbuster trade in the end.   

In a way I feel for him, because he clearly could have been SO much more, with better health luck (though some self-inflicted drama didn't help).  The ability was there.  I'm definitely not debating against his talent level, or what he could do when he could actually play...the guy had 600 points through his first 431 GP (7 seasons), as the league was transitioning from Live Puck to Dead Puck.  I still think he fell a little short, when factoring in every last thing.  But yeah, he was a hell of a player, in his prime, when able to play. 

Speaking of the HHoF, an interesting case will definitely be Patrick Marleau...otherwise known as The Man Who Never Ever Misses Games, AKA The Ultimate Compiler.  I have nothing against compilers...I think there's always something to be said for insanely durable guys who manage to stay incredibly healthy for multiple decades, and are solid producers for many of those years.  But playing in an absolute sh!tload of games is all Marleau's done that's truly notable, from a HHoF standpoint...outside of being one of five NHLers to play in over 1700 NHL games, he hasn't won a single trophy, and only was a Top-3 nominee once (for the Lady Byng, in 2005-06).  His claim to fame is never getting hurt and having been consistently pretty good to occasionally very good for about a 15-year-stretch (30.4 G and 33.2 A per 82 GP in those seasons).  That's not chump change, and Marleau enjoyed a long and pretty productive career that many would kill for...but being good for a long time doesn't scream "Hall of Famer" to me.  

46 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Speaking of the HHoF, an interesting case will definitely be Patrick Marleau...otherwise known as The Man Who Never Ever Misses Games, AKA The Ultimate Compiler.  I have nothing against compilers...I think there's always something to be said for insanely durable guys who manage to stay incredibly healthy for multiple decades, and are solid producers for many of those years.  But playing in an absolute sh!tload of games is all Marleau's done that's truly notable, from a HHoF standpoint...outside of being one of five NHLers to play in over 1700 NHL games, he hasn't won a single trophy, and only was a Top-3 nominee once (for the Lady Byng, in 2005-06).  His claim to fame is never getting hurt and having been consistently pretty good to occasionally very good for about a 15-year-stretch (30.4 G and 33.2 A per 82 GP in those seasons).  That's not chump change, and Marleau enjoyed a long and pretty productive career that many would kill for...but being good for a long time doesn't scream "Hall of Famer" to me.  

He's not a Hall of Famer in my view, but I have much respect for guys who are productive players in their mid to late 30s. Adam Oates and Mark Recchi certainly helped their Hall of Fame credentials when they piled up points as older players, but their primes were better than Marleau's. 

And then you have your freaks of nature like Gordie Howe and Johnny Bucyk, who continued to be GREAT players well into their 30s.

48 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

He's not a Hall of Famer in my view, but I have much respect for guys who are productive players in their mid to late 30s. Adam Oates and Mark Recchi certainly helped their Hall of Fame credentials when they piled up points as older players, but their primes were better than Marleau's. 

And then you have your freaks of nature like Gordie Howe and Johnny Bucyk, who continued to be GREAT players well into their 30s.

I'm fully with you...guys who are merely good but manage to be good for a very long time may not be worthy of being in the Hall Of Fame, but they're still special players...I don't look down on compilers...I just think a guy who compiled his way to some big offensive numbers (500+ goals and 600+ assists) shouldn't automatically be thought of as a worthy Hall of Fame candidate...he needed a TON of games to reach those numbers.  Doesn't mean that he can't be appreciated for what he was, or that he shouldn't be celebrated in San Jose to the hilt for what he did as a Shark. 

I've brought up how Marleau basically didn't miss a single regular season game throughout his entire 30s a number of times...I think that's impressive as hell.  

54 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Behind the paywall, what does it say?

They are looking at starting back up again in July.

9 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

They are looking at starting back up again in July.

Meh, I'm going to cut the league a lot of slack when it comes to figuring out how to deal with this. 

• Like 1

having teams like the devils, sharks, senators, etc.. is just a waste and stupid. their seasons ended months ago. besides money, which i know is the main factor, why bring these 5-6 teams that are clearly out of it after 4 months off? just stupid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, devils744 said:

having teams like the devils, sharks, senators, etc.. is just a waste and stupid. their seasons ended months ago. besides money, which i know is the main factor, why bring these 5-6 teams that are clearly out of it after 4 months off? just stupid.

They would have to rework the whole schedule to remove non playoff teams from the competition too. Part of me would like to see the Devils on the ice if the league resumes, but part of me also says screw the injury chances after a layoff like that.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

They would have to rework the whole schedule to remove non playoff teams from the competition too. Part of me would like to see the Devils on the ice if the league resumes, but part of me also says screw the injury chances after a layoff like that.

I also have no desire at this point to risk getting sick to watch this team play 7 meaningless regular season games so it's gonna be interesting to see how this all plays out. I definitely won't be going to those games if they happen. 

9 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I also have no desire at this point to risk getting sick to watch this team play 7 meaningless regular season games so it's gonna be interesting to see how this all plays out. I definitely won't be going to those games if they happen. 

I think the idea is to have televised games without fans in attendance

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I think the idea is to have televised games without fans in attendance

Yea, there is no way any sports or events are open to public until september at the earliest, I just saw Disney is closed until 2021.

16 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Yea, there is no way any sports or events are open to public until september at the earliest, I just saw Disney is closed until 2021.

That's not official yet, just an analysts report but it definitely wouldn't surprise me. 

30 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

That's not official yet, just an analysts report but it definitely wouldn't surprise me. 

Yes was just going to post the same thing.  Nothing against DM in the slightest, but unfortunately I expect there will be more "through the grapevine" misinformation that will make the rounds, in much the same manner.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, devils744 said:

It’s stupid. But, as I would have if they continued on schedule, I would still watch. Especially now. 

• Like 2

I guess we'll have to see how many games though needed to "finish" the regular season schedule.  I think the 1st round could be best of 5 (maybe 1st two rounds?) Have to give teams like Devils, Wings, Sens an opportunity to piss in someones playoff cornflakes. Does it seem stupid to bring the team back for  6-10 games? Guess we'll see.

4 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

I guess we'll have to see how many games though needed to "finish" the regular season schedule.  I think the 1st round could be best of 5 (maybe 1st two rounds?) Have to give teams like Devils, Wings, Sens an opportunity to piss in someones playoff cornflakes. Does it seem stupid to bring the team back for  6-10 games? Guess we'll see.

Also as I pointed out previously, unfair to make teams competing for playoff spots play against a playoff or fringe team when they were supposed to play against one of the bottom teams. 

Its all about the money... and keeping me  entertained, obviously.

But seriously, the players will lose a ton of escrow if they don't finish this season. We'll get hockey, and a crazy schedule for 20-21. Maybe we'll get normalcy when Seattle comes into the  fray. haha.

And, just my two cents, but if Marleau gets in the HHoF, there is zero excuse to keep Elias out.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, jagknife said:

And, just my two cents, but if Marleau gets in the HHoF, there is zero excuse to keep Elias out.

Agreed.  Right now I have Elias as borderline...I won't feel like it's some major travesty if he gets in or if he doesn't get in.  But if Marleau gets in, then the bar has effectively been lowered enough where Elias becomes a shoo-in for me.  

Marleau is a good player who played a hell of a long time and was remarkably durable...he has nothing to be ashamed of.  But he is NOT a Hall-Of-Famer, no way.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I have just heard through a couple people that Abbey got laid off by the Record.  Apparently, she was the only sportswriter there to get laid off.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have just heard through a couple people that Abbey got laid off by the Record.  Apparently, she was the only sportswriter there to get laid off.

She confirmed it and removed Devils writer from her bio already. Considering she was terrible at covering the Devils and was absolutely obnoxious to fans this shouldn't be a surprise... 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 3