Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Satans Hockey

NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

She confirmed it and removed Devils writer from her bio already. Considering she was terrible at covering the Devils and was absolutely obnoxious to fans this shouldn't be a surprise... 

 

There are a lot of people who are surprisingly claiming she was good.

I look forward to her spiteful hit piece on the industry.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not like I want to see anyone lose a job in such difficult times...

but she really wasn’t good at it.

By “a lot to say”, probably a good chance she plays the woman/sexist card, as to why she’s done.  There’s Neanderthals in every fan base who even now still might not be thrilled about women covering sports, but most people only really care about how well you cover their team.  Abbey was pretty bad and seemed like she was touchy and oversensitive to boot.

 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not like I want to see anyone lose a job in such difficult times...

but she really wasn’t good at it.

By “a lot to say”, probably a good chance she plays the woman/sexist card, as to why she’s done.  There’s Neanderthals in every fan base who even now still might not be thrilled about women covering sports, but most people only really care about how well you cover their team.  Abbey was pretty bad and seemed like she was touchy and oversensitive to boot.

 

100%, she was a troll to the fans with the constant sarcasm and her articles werent that good. Reddit white knights are out in force defending her.

I find Sara Civian quite funny  on her social media and her writing is on par with most people out there. Amanda does what she's paid to do as a rep for the team, no issues with her. But Abbey was not good and cared more about the Mets than the team she was literally hired to cover. See ya.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jagknife said:

100%, she was a troll to the fans with the constant sarcasm and her articles werent that good. Reddit white knights are out in force defending her.

I find Sara Civian quite funny  on her social media and her writing is on par with most people out there. Amanda does what she's paid to do as a rep for the team, no issues with her. But Abbey was not good and cared more about the Mets than the team she was literally hired to cover. See ya.

Civian is terrible too.  She pulls the misogyny card many times as well.  She is like Amanda/Abbey on steroids in that regard.  The only difference is that her writing is actually decent.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have just heard through a couple people that Abbey got laid off by the Record.  Apparently, she was the only sportswriter there to get laid off.

I saw this and thought of you immediately - I won't miss her a$$hole (sorry, I mean snarky) persona on Twitter one bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

There are a lot of people who are surprisingly claiming she was good.

I look forward to her spiteful hit piece on the industry.

Not that everyone should go on her Twitter account and tell her that she sucked...but that kind of “But you were great!” just for the sake of saying it phoniness is annoying too.  She wasn’t good at her job, and on top of that, wasn’t terribly good with fans.  Seems like her employer realized she wasn’t an ideal fit based on her body of work since she was hired, knew that she wasn’t likely to improve, and made a reasonable decision.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not that everyone should go on her Twitter account and tell her that she sucked...but that kind of “But you were great!” just for the sake of saying it phoniness is annoying too.  She wasn’t good at her job, and on top of that, wasn’t terribly good with fans.  Seems like her employer realized she wasn’t an ideal fit based on her body of work since she was hired, knew that she wasn’t likely to improve, and made a reasonable decision.  

She’s likely going to blame misogyny or twitter trolls in her hit piece.  Doubt she is going to mention her own snark with fans, publicly complaining about a game going to overtime, or having a holier-than-thou attitude in general.

That last part in particular seems to be more and more prevalent with all reporters these days, especially on social media.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I saw this and thought of you immediately - I won't miss her a$$hole (sorry, I mean snarky) persona on Twitter one bit.

I don’t take joy in any person losing their job.  On the other hand I am not exactly broken up by this either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

She’s likely going to blame misogyny or twitter trolls in her hit piece.  Doubt she is going to mention her own snark with fans, publicly complaining about a game going to overtime, or having a holier-than-thou attitude in general.

That last part in particular seems to be more and more prevalent with all reporters these days, especially on social media.

Damn, did she really complain about BONUS hockey?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Damn, did she really complain about BONUS hockey?

She did early last season (18-19 season).  It might have been a preseason game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I would sell my left nut for even just a preseason game right now

My stigma rod hockey game came out of the basement a month ago with the kids back in the house.. as great a game as it is I'm ready for real hockey... please end this thing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the 2000 winning game on MSG. That POS Hatcher just took out Sykora with an elbow. 

5 minutes later pepe sneakily headbuts Hatcher in the chin during a scrum and Hatcher starts running around crying to all the refs. 

 

God I miss old time hockey, and I forgot just how much I loved Lemieux when he was here.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toasterleavins said:

Watching the 2000 winning game on MSG. That POS Hatcher just took out Sykora with an elbow. 

5 minutes later pepe sneakily headbuts Hatcher in the chin during a scrum and Hatcher starts running around crying to all the refs. 

 

God I miss old time hockey, and I forgot just how much I loved Lemieux when he was here.

 

 

That twitchy eyed bastard was my best friend’s favorite player at the time. We had both just got really into hockey during our senior year of high school, and he liked the Stars, and I liked the Devils (because of Stevens). We watched game 6 together at my mom’s house and when Arnott scored he threw his Stars hat at my tv. Good times. Lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Toasterleavins said:

Watching the 2000 winning game on MSG. That POS Hatcher just took out Sykora with an elbow. 

5 minutes later pepe sneakily headbuts Hatcher in the chin during a scrum and Hatcher starts running around crying to all the refs. 

 

God I miss old time hockey, and I forgot just how much I loved Lemieux when he was here.

I watched Game 4 of the 1995 SCF with my daughter yesterday, on MSG...that was the first time that she's seen it (of course she knows the whole story of me having been there).  

That's the first time I've watched it start-to-finish since actually seeing it in person (though about 6 mins of the beginning of the 2nd period was chopped out, for some reason...guess to keep the running time to within two hours)...I've watched extended snippets of that game through the years, but never the whole thing.

Was funny seeing those goofy FOX robot graphics after goals...what was also funny was that my daughter kept saying how "retro" everything looked...just like 70s and even 80s video of NHL games looks a little ancient to me (even though I was watching in the 80s), the 90s look primitive to her.  I can only imagine what she'd think watching games from the 70s and 80s, with many players not wearing helmets, classic hockey hair (read:  MULLETS) and some poofy perms on display, not mention some of the classic porn staches out there.  Had to explain to her what Standard Definition was, heh heh.

But was a lot of fun for her to actually and finally see the names on ice that I had told her so much about...and to see so many of them in their primes, or just getting started.  An impossibly young Martin Brodeur was just 23 years old, and hadn't even played 100 NHL regular season games or picked up his 50th regular season win yet.  Niedermayer wouldn't turn 22 until August...guys like Brylin and Rolston were infants in hockey years, and Guerin and Holik hadn't even turned 25 yet.  Stevens (who had already seemed to have been around forever) was still only 31, with many good years ahead of him...Daneyko was also 31 at the time.  It was actually a relatively young team all-around...by the time the playoffs had rolled around, Neal Broten was the oldest Devil, at 35.  Bruce Driver had turned 33 in late April.  But many of the rest were still in their 20s/early 30s.

I told her that the Devils would indeed win that game and the Cup, but didn't tell her what the final score was, or didn't let on when the Devils were going to score (I cheered each goal like I was seeing them for the first time, though I knew from the play just before when each one was coming).  I had forgotten just how dominant the Devils had been that game...it really could have been a little WORSE than 5-2 for the Wings, really...watching again, you realized in that first period, the Red Wings had thrown damned near EVERYTHING at the Devils, yet could only go into the second period tied 2-2.  At the time, I was still nervous and white-knuckled every game, but it was obvious watching now that the Red Wings really didn't have any answers for the Devils' MO back then...the Devils were just executing so brilliantly and couldn't be knocked off their game plan for long.  The Flyers had been a much tougher out...Hextall giving up a brutal goal at the worst time really killed the Flyers in that series.      

Once the game ended, I made her stay for the Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup presentations...and made it a point to tell her how much I hoped we'd be able to share the same kind of moment someday.  Watching that game made me realize just how much I truly miss those special Devils teams sometimes. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s the kind of talent Marty was. But for that sh!thead Matteau, he might’ve gone on to play for the Stanley Cup a year before with only 51 games under his belt. 

There really wasn’t any developmental period, he just came in as Mary and stayed that way for like 18 or so years. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a time where it really felt like the gravy train would just never end.  I still regret not relishing the 00-03 years a little more and especially that 23-game unbeaten streak against the Rangers.  When it reached about 15 or so games, I started feeling bad for friends and family where were Rangers fans and didn't gloat nearly as much as I would.  Now, seeing their behavior this past decade, I wish I could go back to then and just be merciless during that streak.

I am hoping MSG starts showing more random games during some notable seasons rather than just notable individual games.  High on the list would be any game during the winning streak in March of 2001 and any one of the 2006 playoff games against the Rangers.

46 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s the kind of talent Marty was. But for that sh!thead Matteau, he might’ve gone on to play for the Stanley Cup a year before with only 51 games under his belt. 

There really wasn’t any developmental period, he just came in as Mary and stayed that way for like 18 or so years

That's certainly a new wrinkle in his personal life.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s the kind of talent Marty was. But for that sh!thead Matteau, he might’ve gone on to play for the Stanley Cup a year before with only 51 games under his belt. 

There really wasn’t any developmental period, he just came in as Mary and stayed that way for like 18 or so years. 

As far as the 1993-94 ECF goes, the league's two best teams faced off in that series.  I'd say the Devils were just about right there with the Rangers, in terms of all-around talent (and the Devils had quickly taken to Lemaire's system), but that Ranger team was loaded with guys who'd been there before...and as much as I'm not really a Messier guy, I give him credit for keeping that team together when his coach had clearly gone batsh!t crazy.  Devils came up just a little shorter in the "experience" arena...though like you allude to, Marty really played like a solid vet throughout that entire 1993-94 season...he didn't blink as a rookie, with Hasek on the other side in EC quarters.  He had a tough Game 2 against Boston in Round 2 (Terreri would then handle games played at the Boston Garden in that series), but I'm hard-pressed to think of really ANY "looks like an overwhelmed rookie" moments from his first full season.

Whenever I play "What if?", as far as what would've happened had the Devils outlasted the Rangers, most of me thinks that the Devils would've beaten the Canucks in 6 games or less.  But there's definitely a part of me that would've wondered how much the Devils would've had left for the SCF.  They had played 20 games to that point, 6 going to OT...and of those 6, 3 had gone to 2 OT and one to 4 OT.  Gotta think that fatigue might have become a factor once the Finals got underway.  

Messier's Ranger teammates used to say that Messier would constantly stress the importance of getting the earlier-round series done and over with as quickly as possible...and throughout 1993-94, would especially keep pointing to the 1991-92 opening round seven-game series against the Devils as an example of an early round series taking too much of a team (the Rangers would lose in six in the following round against the Penguins) and proving very costly.  Probably was a factor in their blowing out both the Islanders and the Capitals to the tune of an 8-1 record (outscoring them 42-15 in the process, though obviously a big chunk of that came in their absolute demolition of the Isles), before facing the Devils.  

Devils would play four less games in reaching the SCF in 1995...that extra rest couldn't have hurt (though the Red Wings had needed just 14 games themselves to reach the SCF that same season).  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some more games from the 88 playoffs tonight on MSG+... 

5pm - Devils at Capitals game 5

9:30pm - Devils at Capitals game 7 

2am - Devils at Capitals game 7 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

There was a time where it really felt like the gravy train would just never end.  I still regret not relishing the 00-03 years a little more and especially that 23-game unbeaten streak against the Rangers.  When it reached about 15 or so games, I started feeling bad for friends and family where were Rangers fans and didn't gloat nearly as much as I would.  Now, seeing their behavior this past decade, I wish I could go back to then and just be merciless during that streak.

I am hoping MSG starts showing more random games during some notable seasons rather than just notable individual games.  High on the list would be any game during the winning streak in March of 2001 and any one of the 2006 playoff games against the Rangers.

That's certainly a new wrinkle in his personal life.

I remember the game that finally ended that streak...Devils lost 4-3 to the Rangers on 3/31/2001...this was in the midst of an INSANE run that saw the Devils win 19 out of their final 21 regular season games (and then their first three games against the Hurricanes...they outscored their opposition 105-46 for those 24 games, and scored less than 3 goals in just three out of those 24 games (winning two)).  

I also remember many dipsh!t Ranger fans (are there really any other kind) acting like they won the fvcking Cup that day.  Not to mention that many of them at that time were still insisting on calling a team that was absolutely SHREDDING it offensively (4.38 GPG during that run) "boring".  

Of course, what was great was it wasn't like the Rangers suddenly figured things against the Devils after that "big" win.  Devils still did pretty well against them right up until the lockout.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Lots of stupidity in this article...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/26/coronavirus-social-distancing-could-require-necessary-renovations-to-sports-arenas.html

It makes absolutely 0 sense to remove seats and go through the process of time and money to reconfigure arenas when you can just tarp off seats instead. 

Also this is completely laughable and sounds like it was suggested by someone who has never been to any real event...

"Teams can distribute arrival times to fans to avoid overloading security staff, as temperature testing could be included, Barnum said." 

People aren't going to be arriving at 5:30pm on a weekday just because that's the slot they were given, way too many factors with people getting stuck at work, traffic, etc etc. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I watched Game 4 of the 1995 SCF with my daughter yesterday, on MSG...that was the first time that she's seen it (of course she knows the whole story of me having been there).  

 

I try to tell that story at my house, but nobody seems to be very interested in my tales of going to these games, tailgating, having the time of my life. Oh well :D

I also had not watched Game 4 in its entirety on TV until yesterday. It was great reliving the victory of what I believe is the best Devil team ever. Those 2000 and 2001 teams had more offensive talent but the 1995 squad played as well as a team could play in the post-season. Big goals from all four lines, the best defense corps in the league, relentless forechecking, a fearsome counterattack, big hits, killer instinct, and Martin Brodeur, too! Because the Devils dominated Detroit in the finals, he is sometimes not thought about as a reason the team won a championship, but Brodeur's goaltending in the Boston and Pittsburgh series, particularly the OT games we won, was marvelous (as Doc might say).

Would love to see more games televised from the 1995 championship run!

Edited by Jerrydevil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Some more games from the 88 playoffs tonight on MSG+... 

5pm - Devils at Capitals game 5

9:30pm - Devils at Capitals game 7 

2am - Devils at Capitals game 7 

Must-see TV! Thanks for the heads-up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

I try to tell that story at my house, but nobody seems to be very interested in my tales of going to these games, tailgating, having the time of my life. Oh well :D

I also had not watched Game 4 in its entirety on TV until yesterday. It was great reliving the victory of what I believe is the best Devil team ever. Those 2000 and 2001 teams had more offensive talent but the 1995 squad played as well as a team could play in the post-season. Big goals from all four lines, the best defense corps in the league, relentless forechecking, a fearsome counterattack, big hits, killer instinct, and Martin Brodeur, too! Because the Devils dominated Detroit in the finals, he is sometimes not thought about as a reason the team won a championship, but Brodeur's goaltending in the Boston and Pittsburgh series, particularly the OT games we won, was marvelous (as Doc might say).

Would love to see more games televised from the 1995 championship run!

My daughter is as interested as someone can be, but it's hard to try to wrap up and convey the meaning of these long careers of these very special Devils to someone who's never ever seen them play.  To her, it's players like Nico, Palms, Zajac, now Blackwood (Hall and Coleman before they were dealt)...these are the Devils who are "real" to her, that she feels a real attachment to, because they're all she knows and who she's growing up with.  I remember all of Marty's career like it just happened...saw all of it.  And the rest...Driver, MacLean, Dan-o, Stevens, Niedermayer, etc.  I can try to pass on what they all meant to this team, but I can't make her "feel" it.  She enjoyed the game very much, but I could tell she almost felt like she was watching a team that was the Devils in name only.  1995 might as well be 1895 to her...the 1995 Devils are a collection of dusty black-and-white photos to her, a curiosity...one thing that she said that really reminded me of how much the world has changed was when she was watching the Cup being raised, she told me "If this was now, everyone would have their cell phones out so that they could record everything and take pictures!"  Back then, our MINDS did the recording.   

That 1995 team peaked at EXACTLY the right time...they went 10-5-2 down the stretch, with all five losses by just a single goal each (they were just 12-13-6 prior) and definitely appeared to be getting their collective act together.  But when they blew out Boston by a collection 8-0 in back-to-back shutouts...I remember being pretty blown away by how great they looked...beastly.  And they never really cooled off...they outscored their opponents 67-34 for the playoffs.  Add that to the 48-34 margin that they outscored opponents over the final 17 games of the regular season, and you could really see how well they'd been playing for quite some time.  That made 1995-96 all the more baffling in ways, but of course you had the whole Claude Lemieux mess, and Richer struggling mightily with depression, and Neal Broten having had more than his fill of NJ (he really shouldn't have been a Devil past the 1995 season)...Lou trying desperately to tinker with the team to get it going with a series of deals as the season unfolded, and people forget that the Devils went on a fine 17-6-7 run that seemed to suggest that they were going to figure things out and right the ship before the regular season ended, but then they go 5-8-1 to close out 1996 and suffer that disastrous loss to the Sens and do just enough to fall out of a playoff berth.  

Yeah, the 2000 and 2001 teams definitely had to fight themselves much more than the 1995 team.  You had the 2000 team needing Larry Robinson to completely lose his sh!t to get his team to fight its way out a 3-1 deficit, and the 2001 team having peaked too early, and really not looking consistent for much of the playoffs after going up 3-0 on the Canes...the Penguins were a great tonic, in that they oddly just didn't seem that interested in competing, though it's fair to point out that the 2000-01 Penguins were extremely top-heavy, as opposed to truly being a good TEAM (Jagr seemed to already have one foot out the door as well, and Hedberg's Cinderella run finally came to an end).  The closest that the 1995 team really came to any true playoff adversity was being tied 2-2 in games with the Flyers (after having lost Games 3 and 4 at home), and the outcome of Game 5 still very much in doubt until that Hextall "Ole" job in the final minute.  The Devils took care of business pretty easily in Game 6...you could see Lemieux's breakaway goal in the 3rd drive the stake right in.

 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The closest that the 1995 team really came to any true playoff adversity was being tied 2-2 in games with the Flyers (after having lost Games 3 and 4 at home), and the outcome of Game 5 still very much in doubt until that Hextall "Ole" job in the final minute.  The Devils took care of business pretty easily in Game 6...you could see Lemieux's breakaway goal in the 3rd drive the stake right in.

 

I remember it very well, and I hope to see both those games replayed on MSG Plus soon. Did you know Claude Lemieux has more playoff goals than Mario Lemieux? Amazing.

Edited by Jerrydevil
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.