NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

9 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I remember it very well, and I hope to see both those games replayed on MSG Plus soon. Did you know Claude Lemieux has more playoff goals than Mario Lemieux? Amazing.

Safe to say that playing 234 playoff games vs. 107 would be a bit of an advantage for Claude, heh heh.

I full understand why Lou had to move Claude after 1995, but what sucked was out of the three players that were a part of that three-way trade, the guy I wanted the least was Thomas.  I could understand Lou wanting him though...his 1991-92 through 1993-94 seasons had been quite solid...like Claude, Thomas had a down year during the 1995 regular season, but there was reason to hope for a bounceback.  And Clark was definitely injury-prone...Thomas represented the "safer" bet for sure.  But something about him...he just didn't feel like a good fit.  I wanted Clark.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Yeah, it is! I didn't realize the disparity in games played was so wide!

Claude was 5th all-time in playoff game appearances (Scott Stevens was 6th, just one game back), with 234.  Only players ahead of Claude are Chris Chelios, Nicklas Lidstrom, Patrick Roy, and Mark Messier.  Only 22 NHL players ever to appear in 200+ playoff games...Brodeur (205) is tied for 19th (with Marian Hossa) and Niedermayer (202) is tied for 21st with Brett Hull.  Nice to see players on that list who are remembered for their Devil contributions.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

crazy to think that exactly a year ago... the Blues and the Bruins were playing game 1 of the cup finals and 2 weeks later the Blues were lifting the cup.

as we were still debating Hughes vs Kakko lol

It was still the second round exactly a year ago today...?

You're off by almost exactly a month (Game 1 was 27 May)

Edited by jagknife

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Man, and I thought quarantine was fvcking with me because I don’t know what day it is half the time- meanwhile SD thinks it’s June 😛🤣

• Haha 1

https://twitter.com/EricEngels/status/1255155934306996224?s=20

If this is what stops them from playing, on one hand I understand it, on the other and based on personal experiences, I'd be pretty upset.

!!!!RANT WARNING!!!!

Spoiler

If someone offered me league minimum in exchange for playing for 4 months, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Yes I understand that it's whatever checks they have left to be away, but as someone who has been away from their family for just as long and received a hell of a lot less and risked a hell of a lot more, it'll give some of them that "taste of what our lives are like" as they always say when they do their tribute videos in November. Hell, someone could come up to me tomorrow, offer me the league minimum to go on a 365 deployment and I'd still take it. It'd be insanely rough, obviously, but it'd take care of myself and my loved ones for a while.

!!!!END RANT!!!!

9 hours ago, jagknife said:

9 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Man, and I thought quarantine was fvcking with me because I don’t know what day it is half the time- meanwhile SD thinks it’s June 😛🤣

LOL well how typical of me right now.

There's days when im like... fvck what day of the week are we? No notion if we're the weekend, early or late week. like NO IDEA lol

But in this case i looked at the date "28" and got the wrong month. fvcking amazing lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

LOL well how typical of me right now.

There's days when im like... fvck what day of the week are we? No notion if we're the weekend, early or late week. like NO IDEA lol

But in this case i looked at the date "28" and got the wrong month. fvcking amazing lol 

Dude, we’re all time traveling, glad I could pull you out of the ether haha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

If this is what stops them from playing, on one hand I understand it, on the other and based on personal experiences, I'd be pretty upset.

!!!!RANT WARNING!!!!

Reveal hidden contents

If someone offered me league minimum in exchange for playing for 4 months, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Yes I understand that it's whatever checks they have left to be away, but as someone who has been away from their family for just as long and received a hell of a lot less and risked a hell of a lot more, it'll give some of them that "taste of what our lives are like" as they always say when they do their tribute videos in November. Hell, someone could come up to me tomorrow, offer me the league minimum to go on a 365 deployment and I'd still take it. It'd be insanely rough, obviously, but it'd take care of myself and my loved ones for a while.

!!!!END RANT!!!!

I'd bet more guys would be willing to play than not. Especially those on teams with a shot to win the Cup. If you're sacrificing 4 months that means you're in the finals, a lot of guys would definitely think it's worth it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jagknife said:

!!!!RANT WARNING!!!!

Reveal hidden contents

!!!!END RANT!!!!

I understand your point, but league minimum goes a lot further for us types and our families than it does for a lot of them given their standard of living vs ours.

On the other hand, plenty of front-line healthcare workers are being forced to do this and aren't making millions of dollars. As selfish as it sounds, it would be nice if the players could make a sacrifice and make their millions to finish the year.

It would be nice if we could get this element of normalcy back(sports) but I don't think anyone should be forced into that situation whether they are a millionaire or not. Then again these guys are in a union and can say no but would obviously keep their jobs. I'm not sure some average Joe that's a plumber or something could do that. 

Now I think I am ranting too and Im not sure where I am going with this.

I need to go to bed lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I understand your point, but league minimum goes a lot further for us types and our families than it does for a lot of them given their standard of living vs ours.

On the other hand, plenty of front-line healthcare workers are being forced to do this and aren't making millions of dollars. As selfish as it sounds, it would be nice if the players could make a sacrifice and make their millions to finish the year.

It would be nice if we could get this element of normalcy back(sports) but I don't think anyone should be forced into that situation whether they are a millionaire or not. Then again these guys are in a union and can say no but would obviously keep their jobs. I'm not sure some average Joe that's a plumber or something could do that. 

Now I think I am ranting too and Im not sure where I am going with this.

I need to go to bed lol.

Yeah definitely understand. Hell in my rant I went back and forth on the subject too. I’m also incredibly selfish and want something back to break up the routine of one week work the other off. But that quote definitely struck a nerve cause there are plenty of people out there sacrificing more than playing a sport for the timeframe.

again, a good deal of selfishness on my end but oh well.

From what I understand, if the Playoffs don't happen, then the NHL owes NBC a large portion of its TV revenue for the 2019-20 season back.  It could be the same for Sportnet in Canada as well.  According to Bettman, NBC pre-pays for each season, which means that the NHL would not receive the equivalent to the lost TV revenue for the 2020-21 season, or that amount could possibly be stretched out over the remainder of the TV contract, which isn't that long.  That is a large chunk of league revenue that will vanish, and have a severe negative effect on the cap for 2020-21 and/or 2021-22.  The League is trying to avoid that chaos by attempting to finish out this season.  As much as there is opportunity (if the NHL were the first sports league to open up again, the viewership would break records for them) and tradition (nobody wants to play 80% of a season and not have the Cup awarded) involved in this decision, the money usually controls.  Unfortunately, there is no great solution here and the PA will have to decide whether 3-4 months away from their families for certain players is worth it considering the economic fallout that could come from canceling the remainder of this season.

19 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

From what I understand, if the Playoffs don't happen, then the NHL owes NBC a large portion of its TV revenue for the 2019-20 season back.  It could be the same for Sportnet in Canada as well.  According to Bettman, NBC pre-pays for each season, which means that the NHL would not receive the equivalent to the lost TV revenue for the 2020-21 season, or that amount could possibly be stretched out over the remainder of the TV contract, which isn't that long.  That is a large chunk of league revenue that will vanish, and have a severe negative effect on the cap for 2020-21 and/or 2021-22.  The League is trying to avoid that chaos by attempting to finish out this season.  As much as there is opportunity (if the NHL were the first sports league to open up again, the viewership would break records for them) and tradition (nobody wants to play 80% of a season and not have the Cup awarded) involved in this decision, the money usually controls.  Unfortunately, there is no great solution here and the PA will have to decide whether 3-4 months away from their families for certain players is worth it considering the economic fallout that could come from canceling the remainder of this season.

The leagues and their media partners need to sit down and hash this out. It’s as unprecedented a situation as it gets. I’m sure some kind of arrangement can be made re: the money going forward if the season can’t be reasonably completed SAFELY. If everyone’s health and safety can’t be guaranteed, then you don’t play. Period, end of story. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jagknife said:

Yeah definitely understand. Hell in my rant I went back and forth on the subject too. I’m also incredibly selfish and want something back to break up the routine of one week work the other off. But that quote definitely struck a nerve cause there are plenty of people out there sacrificing more than playing a sport for the timeframe.

again, a good deal of selfishness on my end but oh well.

My hot take on this is that... that's their job and shouldn't take it for granted. Obviously i understand it's important to spend time with your family and all. But those kids dreamed of playing in the NHL, their whole life they trained, made sacrifices and dreamed of one day playing in the big league. Their parents sacrificed everything to help them. Now they made it and they want to put that aside cause they won't sacrifice spending a bit of time away from their families? How many people are FORCED to spend time away for their families for sh!tty work just to pay the bills and provide.

Now i'm not saying this to rub people the wrong way or anything... I doubt any of them dreamed of... having kids and having BBQs with your family by the pool... Almost anyone in the world can accomplish that and its basically a given that it's what you'll do. Hell some does it by accident lol Playing in the NHL is SO rare, about 700 people in the world are living that dream now.

I'd also be pissed if i was super driven, have a chance at a cup finally after dreaming about it my whole life and being in a position to make that happen.. but then some of my teammates doesn't want to comeback cause they'd miss their families... Plus the business paying them their luxurious life iand who gave them everything they have is currently taking a HUGE HIT and bleeding. So i also feel it's selfish to not do what's best for everyone involved. 

That's just my personal opinion, at my core i'm personally not a "family first" person im a goal driven person, which is why i see it that way. Obviously most people are family first so right from the get-go we won't agree on this... core values are not aligning so no need to argue about this all day lol

Edit: all of that being said. That's my stance say the league resumed this season. For the record if it was my decision, i'd be cancelling the season and prepping for the next season. It's way too much of a mess, players wont be in game shape, it will be weird. And next season will also suffer if they play too late in the summer. Just bring on the damn draft

Edited by SterioDesign

I feel bad if the players wind up separated from their families for a few months in some “safe” city while trying to finish the season. And I get the usual experience is not 100% away from your family because there are home games. But I have to assume that most of the guys are going to make that sacrifice if that’s what they decide to do.

Sucks, yes, but it is what it is. 

On 4/28/2020 at 9:46 PM, jagknife said:

!!!!RANT WARNING!!!!

Hide contents

!!!!END RANT!!!!

I'll take a guess that almost all of the players would be willing to be isolated like that so they can get back to playing and earning a paycheck.  It's a negotiating chip by the players to lessen the paycut they're going to have to take.  Baseball players are doing the same thing.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I'll take a guess that almost all of the players would be willing to be isolated like that so they can get back to playing and earning a paycheck.  It's a negotiating chip by the players to lessen the paycut they're going to have to take.  Baseball players are doing the same thing.

I'm all for the negotiation part, just comes across very poorly to some (namely, me) the way it was presented.

I know some people like @MadDog2020 is vehemently against restarting this season and just kicking off the net year on time, but the loss of revenue from the post season alone would be a nightmare for the players and I actually think it could make the CBA be a much worse fight in the future.