Jump to content

NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over


Satans Hockey
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just cancel the season.  Hold the draft in mid-June with a maximum four spot lottery move up and binding arbitration for any conditional picks the teams can’t work out on their own.  Work out salary cap issues with the PA and schedule free agency for no later than mid-July.  

Spend all efforts after that to get next season started on time or relatively close to on time where fans can be present.  If certain teams need to be moved out of high risk areas to play their home games, including the Devils, make the plans for that.  
 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Just cancel the season.  Hold the draft in mid-June with a maximum four spot lottery move up and binding arbitration for any conditional picks the teams can’t work out on their own.  Work out salary cap issues with the PA and schedule free agency for no later than mid-July.  

Spend all efforts after that to get next season started on time or relatively close to on time where fans can be present.  If certain teams need to be moved out of high risk areas to play their home games, including the Devils, make the plans for that.  
 

 

I. am. selfish. and. i. want. hockey. back. and. a. winner. crowned.

I also think if they cancel the season, the draft is going to be delayed due to the draft pick compensation grievances.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I. am. selfish. and. i. want. hockey. back. and. a. winner. crowned.

I also think if they cancel the season, the draft is going to be delayed due to the draft pick compensation grievances.

I’m the most selfish person I know, and I just want them to rip off the bandaid.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Daniel said:

I’m the most selfish person I know, and I just want them to rip off the bandaid.

I mean... no champ... not fun... Its bad enough my friend will probably keep our Stanley Cup mug for another year, no need for his team to do the same as well...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder why the nhl.tv doesn't have a real classic games section, I've been watching some old games that MSG+ has been showing but I hate that they cut out portions of the games. 

Browsing the nhl.tv app they have some classic things but the vast majority are shortened games too and barely any Devils stuff. 

I know they use to have the nhl vault that had a section for Devils games but I don't know why they don't have anything like that anymore, especially given the current situation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, moustic said:

So... The NHL is the only league not shutdown yet and the draft is supposed to happen in 15 days ? That's right ? (yeah.. doesn't seem less crazy & stupid while i type it... ) 

So the reputable guys (Bobby Mac, LeBrun, et al) said once they decide to hold the draft, it’ll be about a month after decision date (D + 30ish) from what I remember reading about a month ago. 

Also, only the farm leagues have cancelled. Soccer (or football for those who might be triggered) is coming back this week and the end of the month in Germany and England, respectively. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, since this is essentially our COVID thread, if people need credit hours towards degrees or, are like me and need to build a base of STEM credits. There are a handful of online sources that are offering their courses free until 31 July and those are guaranteed to transfer to a good number of online universities as well as have been accepted by major traditional brick and mortar ones as well (over 300).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

jack and nico better be eating a lot. 

I was reading an article on The Athletic about Jack, and apparently him and his brothers are all working out together with a bunch of equipment they got from the USNDT. I guess they live really close to the main training facility in Michigan. Jack mentioned the big thing he wants to improve is his shot, and becoming more of a scoring threat. Which I liked hearing. The kid can damn sure make great passes, if he can strengthen his shot a bit it will help a lot. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I was reading an article on The Athletic about Jack, and apparently him and his brothers are all working out together with a bunch of equipment they got from the USNDT. I guess they live really close to the main training facility in Michigan. Jack mentioned the big thing he wants to improve is his shot, and becoming more of a scoring threat. Which I liked hearing. The kid can damn sure make great passes, if he can strengthen his shot a bit it will help a lot. 

That's an interesting note since, by the numbers (look away, CR!), Hughes had the largest negative variance in goals to expected goals in 5v5 play which could be due to bad luck and/or poor finishing/shooting skill. 

image.png.bf1ecbfb0313ba6387754d589adab3b5.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

That's an interesting note since, by the numbers (look away, CR!), Hughes had the largest negative variance in goals to expected goals in 5v5 play which could be due to bad luck and/or poor finishing/shooting skill. 

image.png.bf1ecbfb0313ba6387754d589adab3b5.png

Probably a bit of both. I know he hit about 4-5 posts over the course of season, but his shot could definitely stand to improve. Although, his wrist shot is actually better than I expected it would be. His 1st career goal (against Vancouver) was a pretty nice shot. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

That's an interesting note since, by the numbers (look away, CR!), Hughes had the largest negative variance in goals to expected goals in 5v5 play which could be due to bad luck and/or poor finishing/shooting skill. 

image.png.bf1ecbfb0313ba6387754d589adab3b5.png

As someone who is a unit exam and final away from being done with the only statistics class I'll ever take again, this is an image of what my nightmares look like

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

That's an interesting note since, by the numbers (look away, CR!), Hughes had the largest negative variance in goals to expected goals in 5v5 play which could be due to bad luck and/or poor finishing/shooting skill. 

To be clear, I'm not anti-advanced stats.  Just not basing everything I see heavily on them (not saying that you are).

Hughes definitely had some bad luck this season...lots of good passes that were wasted by others as well.  Some are already down on him, but I'm definitely nowhere near feeling that way about him.  Though he does need serious seasoning, he sounds like he relishes the challenge.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To be clear, I'm not anti-advanced stats.  Just not basing everything I see heavily on them (not saying that you are).

Hughes definitely had some bad luck this season...lots of good passes that were wasted by others as well.  Some are already down on him, but I'm definitely nowhere near feeling that way about him.  Though he does need serious seasoning, he sounds like he relishes the challenge.  

No worries, just messing around - it's been so long since I have teased you. :P

I think it's silly to be down on him - the team as a whole stunk but more specific to Hughes there's clear evidence of bad shooting luck (to some degree) and I don't think the fact he was literally the youngest player in the NHL last season should be overlooked.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nmigliore said:

No worries, just messing around - it's been so long since I have teased you. :P

I think it's silly to be down on him - the team as a whole stunk but more specific to Hughes there's clear evidence of bad shooting luck (to some degree) and I don't think the fact he was literally the youngest player in the NHL last season should be overlooked.

yes but it also shouldn't be that much of an excuse. Every year the first overall making the NHL is always the youngest player in the nhl and it was never used as an excuse before

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, point said:

So, the trustees of the Stanley Cup are not sworn to award it to the NHL champion, how about they give it to  reigning minor league team?

I think if they don’t award it to a team, then the top 20 posters on NJDevs should each get to take it for a day. 

  • Shocking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, nmigliore said:

No worries, just messing around - it's been so long since I have teased you. :P

I think it's silly to be down on him - the team as a whole stunk but more specific to Hughes there's clear evidence of bad shooting luck (to some degree) and I don't think the fact he was literally the youngest player in the NHL last season should be overlooked.

 

33 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yes but it also shouldn't be that much of an excuse. Every year the first overall making the NHL is always the youngest player in the nhl and it was never used as an excuse before

I don’t think a lot of people realize how rare a talent a Crosby or a McDavid are. Now the expectation is that an undersized 18 year old is going to just drop right into an NHL roster and have an immediate impact. 

I still believe he would have benefitted from a season in the AHL. Not that he would have gotten a full season to do it because of the virus, but he definitely could have used a year of development before making his NHL debut. 

I used to feel the same about Pavel Zacha, although I now think no amount of time in the AHL would have benefitted him.

Edited by mfitz804
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

 

I don’t think a lot of people realize how rare a talent a Crosby or a McDavid are. Now the expectation is that an undersized 18 year old is going to just drop right into an NHL roster and have an immediate impact. 

I still believe he would have benefitted from a season in the AHL. Not that he would have gotten a full season to do it because of the virus, but he definitely could have used a year of development before making his NHL debut. 

I used to feel the same about Pavel Zacha, although I now think no amount of time in the AHL would have benefitted him.

Well i mean, that's not to say he won't develop into an amazing player. But there's just so many factors as to why he didn't produce as much as most first overall (and that's kind of an unfair comparison in a way)

We just have to be patient. We could say it's just his size... but then other small players like pat kane didnt struggle because of his age / size etc

Every player has a different path. Kucherov wasn't even  a first overall but he's been playing like one and didnt make the league in the first few years so who knows. we just have to be patient

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, nmigliore said:

That's an interesting note since, by the numbers (look away, CR!), Hughes had the largest negative variance in goals to expected goals in 5v5 play which could be due to bad luck and/or poor finishing/shooting skill. 

image.png.bf1ecbfb0313ba6387754d589adab3b5.png

"expected goals"

🙄

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.