NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

Just now, devlman said:

As people should be on high alert. Does shutting down every event, organization, and gathering mean high alert or overreaction?

It's done to prevent the virus from spreading faster and overloading hospitals that can't handle that many people. Why put that many people together when it's just entertainment? 

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's done to prevent the virus from spreading faster and overloading hospitals that can't handle that many people. Why put that many people together when it's just entertainment? 

That’s a valid point but there’s no evidence that suggests it’s more contagious than the flu or requires more hospitalization than seasonal flu would. 

Edited by devlman

13 minutes ago, devlman said:

Sorry but a st Patrick’s day parade being shut down is not a barometer for determining potency of a virus. Don’t just pick out headlines to conclude that it could become more fatal than the flu. We have actual facts and figures to tell you the opposite.

What are these actual facts and figures? And *please* don't tell me raw death totals; it's not a fair comparison considering way more people have been diagnosed with the flu than corona.

From every estimate and figure I've seen, conoravirus is carrying a mortality rate of 2.5% to 3.5%, while the flu every year carries a mortality rate of less than 1%. More important than anything though, this is the most easily transmittable novel virus we've seen in North America, which is scary when you combine that with the fact it has absolutely no vaccine and is carrying a mortality rate of ~14% for the elderly.

It's not trivial to take this seriously, we all know people that are more susceptible to succumbing to this virus than ourselves. Just because I'm a 25 year old dude who would probably be fine doesn't mean I can't fear for transmitting it to my fiance's father who has cancer or my 65 year old parents.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It’s absolutely not trivial. No one is suggesting it’s not. But the reported death rate is likely inflated due to it being a new virus and people not knowing they have it versus the flu or even wanting to avoid being quarantined. For seniors though I agree it is seemingly more concerning.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MB3 said:

Even if you’re not in the target age range, attitudes like this could cause irreparable and unnecessary harm. Try to pretend that you’re not the smartest guy you’ve ever met for ten seconds and read this. 

http://news.originalgreen.org/#/

7 hours ago, MB3 said:

Did you just pick out “St Patrick’s Day Parade” and ignore the fact that AN ENTIRE FVCKING FIRST WORLD COUNTRY IS CURRENTLY ON LOCK DOWN YOU ABSOLUTE CRAYON EATING BUFFOON.

Honestly, you are the biggest a$$hole I have ever encountered in my life. Anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot. Fvcking entitled jerkoff. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This does need to be treated seriously but at the same time panic doesn't help anyone. 

The current mortality rate for Covid-19 is  4% for known reported cases , seasonal influenza mortality rate is 0.1% and global influenza deaths fluctuate between 2-4% annually. These are all readily available WHO figures. And just remember 4% of the American population is 13.5 million people. 

That being said there isn't any need for panic. Sensible measures like regular hand washing and self isolation if you have symptoms can stop the spread.

It is true that the vast majority of people who get this won't die, they might not even become remotely ill , but it's times like this we really need to stop and think of those who are vulnerable, the elderly, those with underlying health conditions or low immune systems and put those people first. 

Let's try not to think of the 4868 people who have died from this as just numbers, but as relatives , friends and random people on a message board we for some reason have an affinity for (even though most of us can be complete arseholes when the team sucks) that we won't see again. Think of people you know who have had , or are going through chemo and say to yourself "is their life worth not cancelling a few sports events?". 

Personally I think it's an easy choice. ESPECIALLY given the season this team is having. 

So wash your hands regularly, stay home if you feel ill and be sensible. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9
  • Like 9

I live in Italy.  First few athletes here tested positive.  Doesn't look good for Serie A or the UEFA Champions League either.  Never thought I would see something like this in my lifetime. 

1 minute ago, Mitico12 said:

I live in Italy.  First few athletes here tested positive.  Doesn't look good for Serie A or the UEFA Champions League either.  Never thought I would see something like this in my lifetime. 

Didn’t Christiano’s teammate test positive?

The coach for the Nebraska men’s b-ball team was clearly sick with SOMETHING last night while coaching on the sidelines. Turned out it was just the flu. But talk about being incredibly irresponsible to try and coach while sick like that, regardless of what it was, but he looked atrocious from the videos I’ve seen.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

If the NBA suspended their season, I can't imagine the NHL is far behind.

Especially considering how bugs make their way through locker rooms.

Probably for the best.

If they somehow play tonight I think at the very least there won't be any fans in the building. Maybe they are gonna see how long they can go playing games like this and try to finish the regular season and hope that they can open up the arenas when the playoffs start.

If one player ends up testing positive that will be the end of that though.

51 minutes ago, jagknife said:

The coach for the Nebraska men’s b-ball team was clearly sick with SOMETHING last night while coaching on the sidelines. Turned out it was just the flu. But talk about being incredibly irresponsible to try and coach while sick like that, regardless of what it was, but he looked atrocious from the videos I’ve seen.

Just saw the videos from that....shows how little faith he has in his assistant coaches that he wouldn't sit out a game or two to get some rest and get better quicker and also not get others sick. The sporting director of that school should have stepped in and made him sit out too. 

We have had a bad problem in this country for years now with this work while sick mentality. Way too many people do it all the time because they don't have(or feel like they have) any other choice.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

Hope you stay well man. 

Looks like it's either going to be behind closed doors or for Serie A teams no games at all. 

58 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Daniel Rugani. Yep. 

Tom Hanks as well now. 

Probably suspending it.  A lot of teams share locker rooms with the NBA teams, so I'm sure that's why.  

I don't understand how they're going to resume though... 10 or so games left in the regular season which all have to be re-scheduled.  That's 150 or so games that need new dates and times, which means you have to somehow work out conflicts and other events that might be going on or already scheduled for those times, and even if that all gets worked out, the playoffs would be pushed back as well, which means another round of the same thing - re-scheduling games with new dates and times, and so forth.  It just seems insurmountable, especially with the NBA having to do the same thing. 

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

Probably suspending it.  A lot of teams share locker rooms with the NBA teams, so I'm sure that's why.  

I don't understand how they're going to resume though... 10 or so games left in the regular season which all have to be re-scheduled.  That's 150 or so games that need new dates and times, which means you have to somehow work out conflicts and other events that might be going on or already scheduled for those times, and even if that all gets worked out, the playoffs would be pushed back as well, which means another round of the same thing - re-scheduling games with new dates and times, and so forth.  It just seems insurmountable, especially with the NBA having to do the same thing. 

It does seem like it would be very difficult to do, but that said, I do feel bad for teams like the Wild who were one game out of playoff position with plenty to play. But it’s out of everyone’s control.

Maybe just end the regular season and let EVERYONE into the playoffs, so we have a playoff team? ;) 

• Like 1