Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Satans Hockey

NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not sure I understand the format, then.

Yeah I'm not actually sure if I do either. Can someone explain it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Yeah I'm not actually sure if I do either. Can someone explain it?

I looked it up. 

Top 4 teams in each conference get a bye into the second round. 

Remaining 16 (including the 8 “non playoff” teams) play a first round, best of 5. 

So the top 8 then play the remaining 8 from the first round. 

So the top 8 get a “free pass” into the second round, but they’re no better off than if they had to play the first round in a normal format. 

So in short, 8 playoff teams have to play 8 non playoff teams to compete for the right to make the playoffs. If I were any one of those 8, I wouldn’t vote for this format. 

The top 8 still have to play the same number of games among a field of 16, but with the possibility of any of the 8 “non playoff”, or the worse teams, making it into their 16. So I can see why they’d be on board, not for the bye, but for the chance to compete against lesser opponents. 

The 8 non playoff teams obviously vote themselves in. 

The other 7, including us, why they even had a vote I don’t know lol. 

So really, it’s only 8 teams that shouldn’t have voted for this format. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I looked it up. 

Top 4 teams in each conference get a bye into the second round. 

Remaining 16 (including the 8 “non playoff” teams) play a first round, best of 5. 

So the top 8 then play the remaining 8 from the first round. 

So the top 8 get a “free pass” into the second round, but they’re no better off than if they had to play the first round in a normal format. 

So in short, 8 playoff teams have to play 8 non playoff teams to compete for the right to make the playoffs. If I were any one of those 8, I wouldn’t vote for this format. 

The top 8 still have to play the same number of games among a field of 16, but with the possibility of any of the 8 “non playoff”, or the worse teams, making it into their 16. So I can see why they’d be on board, not for the bye, but for the chance to compete against lesser opponents. 

The 8 non playoff teams obviously vote themselves in. 

The other 7, including us, why they even had a vote I don’t know lol. 

So really, it’s only 8 teams that shouldn’t have voted for this format. 

Cool, thanks for that. The first time I read it, I guess I thought it said top 4 teams from each DIVISION don't need to play in. Confused me on how the other 8 would play into the seeding of the tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

yeah it's a hard no from me too. 

Sadly this season has been over since 11/19 too. But really happy to officially put a fork in it, turn the page and burn the book while they're at it. What a f*cked up year this has been (2020) which has made the 2019-2020 season seem so insignificant to me in the big picture.  Keeps things in perspective for me that's for sure. Stay safe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw the thread title updated, here's where it came from, can't wait to see the rules of this... 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Saw the thread title updated, here's where it came from, can't wait to see the rules of this... 

 

I’d like to know more details on the lottery, not the least of which being how many teams are in it, and if you can move up more than three spots. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Each team designates one representative in a Yahtzee competition. Last man standing’s team gets the first overall pick. Second to last team gets demoted to the AHL, and the last place team’s representative is executed on pay per view. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im hearing that next season will be pushed back about a month too. makes sense i guess but it sucks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

im hearing that next season will be pushed back about a month too. makes sense i guess but it sucks

I’m most ok with that happening. Not a crazy big deal in my opinion.

Ask me in October, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m most ok with that happening. Not a crazy big deal in my opinion.

Ask me in October, though. 

Yeah depending on who we land in the draft we could be VERY excited to see him in action

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah depending on who we land in the draft we could be VERY excited to see him in action

True, but I could wait the month for that. After the way this season ended and every other damn thing we’ve endured, a 4 week delay is not gonna phase me.

But ask me in October lol. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends if we have football or not. If the NFL starts on time it’ll hold me over until hockey comes back.

My excitement level will also be directly correlated to who our coach is. Gallant or Lav, and I’m itching to get going. Nas or John Stevens...not so much. I kind of doubt the Swedish dude is a front runner, but just the unknown with him would be kind of intriguing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm more curious to see how fans being put back into buildings eventually works. If I have to wear a mask all game for the entire 20-21 season I'd rather them keep my money for the season to reserve my seats and I'll be back for the 21-22 season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Depends if we have football or not. If the NFL starts on time it’ll hold me over until hockey comes back.

My excitement level will also be directly correlated to who our coach is. Gallant or Lav, and I’m itching to get going. Nas or John Stevens...not so much. I kind of doubt the Swedish dude is a front runner, but just the unknown with him would be kind of intriguing. 

Tsss.... : ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, moustic said:

Tsss.... : ) 

I can’t even spell Lav’s whole name right without looking it up, you expect me to get that guy’s right? :P

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

 

Good for him, best way to possibly earn another opportunity.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NHL is awfully silent on how the lottery is going to work.  Wonder if they're going to stick with what was floated out previously (i.e. handing the 1OA pick to Detroit).

Lottery in a month.  They'll have to announce the plan relatively soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2020 at 4:35 PM, mfitz804 said:

My friend’s cousin’s roommate is the Coyote’s equipment manager, so I can verify this. 

lol, was that a dig at me because I said I have a good friend who works for Columbus?  I'm not sure how "a good friend of mine" is equivalent to "my friend's cousin's roommate".  We all know "I've Got an Inside Source Guy", and that's not what I'm trying to be. I was merely trying to be helpful and lend some credence to the link he shared because there's been a lot of questions and speculation about if, when, and how they might come back.  If you don't believe me or somehow you think my friend isn't reliable, well then good for you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there's no lottery at all, which seems to be sort of possible, does that mean we get Vancouver's pick regardless (even if they lose the "play-in round") since technically it is "lottery protected" and not "top-xx protected"? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MB3 said:

If there's no lottery at all, which seems to be sort of possible, does that mean we get Vancouver's pick regardless (even if they lose the "play-in round") since technically it is "lottery protected" and not "top-xx protected"? 

My guess based on absolutely zero fact is: they made the playoffs, we get the pick. I'd laugh, however, if they try to fight it saying "well we made the 24 team format, not the round of 16" with the counterpoint being "playoffs are playoffs, doesn't specify 16 vs 24 teams."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

lol, was that a dig at me because I said I have a good friend who works for Columbus?  I'm not sure how "a good friend of mine" is equivalent to "my friend's cousin's roommate".  We all know "I've Got an Inside Source Guy", and that's not what I'm trying to be. I was merely trying to be helpful and lend some credence to the link he shared because there's been a lot of questions and speculation about if, when, and how they might come back.  If you don't believe me or somehow you think my friend isn't reliable, well then good for you. 

lol......I had a co-worker with a relative on the Capitals. I never would say which player, but because of that, I'd get a little bit of insights on an NHL player's thinking. Not much, but a decent amount. I was cryptic once saying basically that and a couple of regulars here ripped into me like nobody's business.  Since almost all the names here blend together I forget who but it was, but I got accused of bragging, etc........  very well may have been mfitz then also

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MB3 said:

If there's no lottery at all, which seems to be sort of possible, does that mean we get Vancouver's pick regardless (even if they lose the "play-in round") since technically it is "lottery protected" and not "top-xx protected"? 

The word has been that Vancouver would probably voluntarily give up its pick this year so long as they didn't end up in the top ten or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.