Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Satans Hockey

NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

lol......I had a co-worker with a relative on the Capitals. I never would say which player, but because of that, I'd get a little bit of insights on an NHL player's thinking. Not much, but a decent amount. I was cryptic once saying basically that and a couple of regulars here ripped into me like nobody's business.  Since almost all the names here blend together I forget who but it was, but I got accused of bragging, etc........  very well may have been mfitz then also

Well it's kind of typical here that if you have an unpopular opinion that the regulars will turn into a mob and witch hunt you. It's a lot of fun

But that's the structure of an argument these days. When someone has a different opinion in an argument... you don't counter the point.. the reflex is to counter by trying to make the person look dumb so his argument doesn't matter. 

 

edit: funny enough that happened to me awhile ago when Torts was hired as the Canucks coach. I have a buddy who's a vancouver fan, he's from saskatoon. So i posted or commented on his fb saying that was a terrible match, that Torts was not the right coach for guys like the Sedins etc etc and dear lord. I got jumped like crazy for saying like "i know Torts and how he works"  (cause he coached across the bridge and i followed his career somewhat, knew his system, what he was asking from players... obviously didn't mean i knew him personally). Anyway... i made sure to find that thread once he got fired and get back at them with a fresh I told you so lol

Edited by SterioDesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jagknife said:

My guess based on absolutely zero fact is: they made the playoffs, we get the pick. I'd laugh, however, if they try to fight it saying "well we made the 24 team format, not the round of 16" with the counterpoint being "playoffs are playoffs, doesn't specify 16 vs 24 teams."

There's a very real idea out there that the "play-in" round will not be considered the "playoffs".  That only when there are 16 teams left will the playoffs 'officially' begin.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if the NHL went this way.  I haven't really considered/thought about the fallout of this yet, but I'd be surprised if it didn't screw us in some way.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO if a team like... MTL voted for the 24 teams format. Just so they have a CHANCE at the cup even if they didnt deserve the chance or had great odds. It should mean that they are forfeiting the chance to land a top 3 pick.

You can't have you cake and eat it too

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

IMO if a team like... MTL voted for the 24 teams format. Just so they have a CHANCE at the cup even if they didnt deserve the chance or had great odds. It should mean that they are forfeiting the chance to land a top 3 pick.

You can't have you cake and eat it too

Love this idea, but it would've had to have been established before they all voted I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

lol, was that a dig at me because I said I have a good friend who works for Columbus?  I'm not sure how "a good friend of mine" is equivalent to "my friend's cousin's roommate".  We all know "I've Got an Inside Source Guy", and that's not what I'm trying to be. I was merely trying to be helpful and lend some credence to the link he shared because there's been a lot of questions and speculation about if, when, and how they might come back.  If you don't believe me or somehow you think my friend isn't reliable, well then good for you. 

I'm just breaking your balls, settle down brother lol. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

lol......I had a co-worker with a relative on the Capitals. I never would say which player, but because of that, I'd get a little bit of insights on an NHL player's thinking. Not much, but a decent amount. I was cryptic once saying basically that and a couple of regulars here ripped into me like nobody's business.  Since almost all the names here blend together I forget who but it was, but I got accused of bragging, etc........  very well may have been mfitz then also

Could've been...see my post about ball-breaking above. 

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well it's kind of typical here that if you have an unpopular opinion that the regulars will turn into a mob and witch hunt you. It's a lot of fun

Well that one was definitely me lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Could've been...see my post about ball-breaking above. 

Well that one was definitely me lol. 

 oh its been that a thing way before your time my man lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

There's a very real idea out there that the "play-in" round will not be considered the "playoffs".  That only when there are 16 teams left will the playoffs 'officially' begin.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if the NHL went this way.  I haven't really considered/thought about the fallout of this yet, but I'd be surprised if it didn't screw us in some way.

I think that's a pretty tough argument. A best of 3 series certainly isn't the regular season, so I would imagine that has to be the playoffs. 

If that is how they go, I think its also a hard argument to say we got "screwed", because if they make the 24 and not the 16, isn't that just us trying to take advantage of the situation by saying "they made it" when the "playoffs" at the time the deal was made were something else that only involved 16 teams? 

The only fair thing to do is to have the team captains go punch for punch in the stomach, and whoever lasts the longest gets to decide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SterioDesign said:

 oh its been that a thing way before your time my man lol

I'm sure. 

I will add, there's probably about 0.5% of the time I am serious on NJDevs, and if one thinks that I was taking a serious position with them, odds are their balls have been broken and they didn't even know it lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could be 100% false, but seeing posts on social media that the teams who lose in the "play-in" round are eligible for the draft lotto.  If that is the case then yikes.  It really should be amongst the 7 sad-sack teams who didn't even make the expanded playoff format that we are proudly in.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

This could be 100% false, but seeing posts on social media that the teams who lose in the "play-in" round are eligible for the draft lotto.  If that is the case then yikes.  It really should be amongst the 7 sad-sack teams who didn't even make the expanded playoff format that we are proudly in.

Yeah my buddy just told me this. Goddamnit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This Covid Cup Championship seems to be becoming more of a headache than its worth. Just cancel the fvcking season. No wonder everyone thinks the NHL is a joke of a league. 

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah my buddy just told me this. Goddamnit. 

My nephew’s girlfriend’s gynecologist confirms this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i mean im usually im TRYING to be fair / neutral and not biased.

So all i can come up with to go against my thought of they CAN have the cake and eat it too...

i guess those teams were robbed of an opportunity to win a spot... so they are given that chance in a few less games... so all in all the team deserving will be in the playoffs and the ones who doesn't will have a shot at getting better through the draft...

so that's fair... but cause it goes against my team's good interest... i don't like it.. but i can admit i'm just biased on that angle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm more curious to see how fans being put back into buildings eventually works. If I have to wear a mask all game for the entire 20-21 season I'd rather them keep my money for the season to reserve my seats and I'll be back for the 21-22 season. 

I couldn't agree with this more.  I wear the mask indoors when shopping, but its usually a short period of time and I absolutely hate every minute of it.  As much as I want to go back to the Rock and watch some Devils hockey, I doubt I will be doing it if I have to wear a mask for 3 hours.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not worried about being uncomfortable for 3 hours, but I am worried about exposing myself to something that requires me to sit wearing a mask for 3 hours. 

I suspect crowds will be small enough that keeping 6 feet distance between fans will not be too hard. I mean, at the Rock we just call that Tuesday. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I couldn't agree with this more.  I wear the mask indoors when shopping, but its usually a short period of time and I absolutely hate every minute of it.  As much as I want to go back to the Rock and watch some Devils hockey, I doubt I will be doing it if I have to wear a mask for 3 hours.

I've worn a mask the few times I've had to go out but that was a very short time span. I just dont have any interest in wearing it the entire time I'm indoors at a game and it's not why I signed up for when purchasing season tickets. Obviously we have no idea what is going to happen but it's going to be interesting to see what happens when we get there. 

 

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not worried about being uncomfortable for 3 hours, but I am worried about exposing myself to something that requires me to sit wearing a mask for 3 hours. 

I suspect crowds will be small enough that keeping 6 feet distance between fans will not be too hard. I mean, at the Rock we just call that Tuesday. 

For me it's a combination. I know our fan base gets made fun of for low crowds but the crowds were surprisingly good last year even though the team sucked. 

They still have a large number of season ticket holders too but if you spread everyone out it really starts to become tricky. My entire row for example is all season ticket holders and the rows around me are almost all season ticket holders as well. Now I should probably get first dibs on my seats cause tenure wise I've been around way longer than those around me but who knows. 

It's all obviously gonna be based on what happens and since everyone is a medical expert nowadays it's impossible to predict. Might not even be any fans to start next season either, probably will be a wait and see approach if there's actually a second wave that comes. Who the hell knows. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I've worn a mask the few times I've had to go out but that was a very short time span. I just dont have any interest in wearing it the entire time I'm indoors at a game and it's not why I signed up for when purchasing season tickets. Obviously we have no idea what is going to happen but it's going to be interesting to see what happens when we get there. 

For me it's a combination. I know our fan base gets made fun of for low crowds but the crowds were surprisingly good last year even though the team sucked. 

They still have a large number of season ticket holders too but if you spread everyone out it really starts to become tricky. My entire row for example is all season ticket holders and the rows around me are almost all season ticket holders as well. Now I should probably get first dibs on my seats cause tenure wise I've been around way longer than those around me but who knows. 

It's all obviously gonna be based on what happens and since everyone is a medical expert nowadays it's impossible to predict. Might not even be any fans to start next season either, probably will be a wait and see approach if there's actually a second wave that comes. Who the hell knows. 

If you don’t have interest in wearing one, and they’re required, you won’t go. The suggestion that you didn’t sign up for it when you bought season tickets is kind of a ridiculous statement though. Nobody signed up for any of this. If what you mean is they should refund your tickets because you don’t want to wear a mask and/or don’t want to expose yourself to the virus, maybe you have an argument there. 

My comment about spacing out the fans was also tongue in cheek. But I do think they could probably work it out because I am thinking the arena will be at least half empty. I get as a STH you chose your seats, but again, sh!t happens, and nobody wants to be exposed to the virus. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If you don’t have interest in wearing one, and they’re required, you won’t go. The suggestion that you didn’t sign up for it when you bought season tickets is kind of a ridiculous statement though. Nobody signed up for any of this. If what you mean is they should refund your tickets because you don’t want to wear a mask and/or don’t want to expose yourself to the virus, maybe you have an argument there. 

The bolded is exactly what I meant, though I'd try to work with them on just keeping my money to reserve my seats and I'll just be back for the 21-22 season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

To no surprise the NHL has to go and do ridiculous dumb sh!t, at least wait until the first playoff round is over and then do this. This league is run by morons...

 

 

Edited by Satans Hockey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, got it. Makes less than zero f*cking sense to me even after listening to him go through it and then reading it again here twice. They literally just can not get out of their own way now for say  as far back as I can remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Absolutely, bat-sh!t insane to me that the teams that are going to play in the qualifying round get a chance at the 1OA pick.  Do the math - there's a 24.5% chance that a team that loses their play-in series gets the only franchise player in the draft.

Why?  Why must the NHL always make things difficult?  Do a separate lottery for the 7 teams to determine who gets the 1st/2nd/3rd overall pick, then a separate lottery for the other teams to determine their order.

Listen, I get it that we can't complain about the lottery being cruel to us over the past few years since we've been extraordinarily lucky.  But this just seems stupid.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, titans04 said:

ok, got it. Makes less than zero f*cking sense to me even after listening to him go through it and then reading it again here twice. They literally just can not get out of their own way now for say  as far back as I can remember.

I don't think it's overly complicated, I just don't see the benefit of doing this before the play in round. Just do the lotto after that round. It's a joke that Pittsburgh has a chance to win the first overall pick if they get knocked out in 5 games.

I think this explain its better though.. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/2020-nhl-draft-lottery-procedure/c-317026602

"New Jersey received better lottery odds than Buffalo because it had a worse regulation/overtime winning percentage (.348, compared to Buffalo's .406)."

This would be the worst case scenario... 

"If a Qualifying Round losing team wins each of the top three picks, the bottom seven teams will be assigned picks No. 4-10 in inverse order of their point percentage" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

Absolutely, bat-sh!t insane to me that the teams that are going to play in the qualifying round get a chance at the 1OA pick.

Do the math - there's a 24.5% chance that a team that loses their play-in series gets the 1st overall pick.

Why?  Why must the NHL always make things difficult?  Do a separate lottery for the 7 teams to determine who gets the 1st/2nd/3rd overall pick, then a separate lottery for the other teams to determine their order.

Listen, I get it that we can't complain about the lottery being cruel to us over the past few years since we've been extraordinarily lucky.  But this just seems stupid.

Yeah it’s dumb. And it says to me that the play-in round isn’t being treated as “the playoffs”, so Vancouver has not played in the playoffs yet. 

In other news, what about Vatanen, anyone know his status? Is he ready to lace them up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.