NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Huge news for us: little guy just got home. COVID negative. still no results on the viral but either way. They’re home and off quarantine. All the thoughts, prayers and good vibes to @MB3, @mfitz

This does need to be treated seriously but at the same time panic doesn't help anyone.  The current mortality rate for Covid-19 is  4% for known reported cases , seasonal influenza mortality rate

That’s good. The workers at the Rock are some of the nicest and most friendly I’ve ever encountered at a sporting event. Glad they will be taken care of. 

Posted Images

On 6/11/2020 at 1:09 PM, Satans Hockey said:

Training camps opening July 10th...

So "Training Camps" aren't beginning until July 10th...how long are they going to last?  The normal playoffs tend to last about 2 months, and it sounds like we're going to need at least that amount of time because the series lengths from what I've heard will all be 7 games, plus we have this initial "play-in" round, so if the season/playoffs don't resume until mid-July then I don't see any way that the 2020-21 season starts on time in October.  Maybe that's already been decided, but I haven't seen it yet.  

Also, I might be missing something obvious here, and I have admittedly not paid too much attention to the details, but.... can someone explain how exactly 24 teams are supposed to play in one city/stadium?  I just don't see how it's possible with so many games to be played.  If you figure half the teams play one day and the other half the next day, that's still 12 teams per day which is 6 games, and with a hockey game being about 3 hours long, that's 18 hours out of a 24 hour day... are they just going to play 'round the clock, from 6am til midnight?!  I don't see how it's logistically possible, especially when you consider other gameday activities and responsibilities that go into leading up to actually playing (cleaning the ice, locker rooms, etc).  

33 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

So "Training Camps" aren't beginning until July 10th...how long are they going to last?  The normal playoffs tend to last about 2 months, and it sounds like we're going to need at least that amount of time because the series lengths from what I've heard will all be 7 games, plus we have this initial "play-in" round, so if the season/playoffs don't resume until mid-July then I don't see any way that the 2020-21 season starts on time in October.  Maybe that's already been decided, but I haven't seen it yet.  

Also, I might be missing something obvious here, and I have admittedly not paid too much attention to the details, but.... can someone explain how exactly 24 teams are supposed to play in one city/stadium?  I just don't see how it's possible with so many games to be played.  If you figure half the teams play one day and the other half the next day, that's still 12 teams per day which is 6 games, and with a hockey game being about 3 hours long, that's 18 hours out of a 24 hour day... are they just going to play 'round the clock, from 6am til midnight?!  I don't see how it's logistically possible, especially when you consider other gameday activities and responsibilities that go into leading up to actually playing (cleaning the ice, locker rooms, etc).  

Next season isn't going to start until late 2020 or maybe even 2021. 

There's going to be 2 hub cities, that part they announced already. Vegas is a big rumor to be one since they have so many hotels that the NHL can just take over but nothing is officially announced yet as to which ones.

26 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Next season isn't going to start until late 2020 or maybe even 2021. 

There's going to be 2 hub cities, that part they announced already. Vegas is a big rumor to be one since they have so many hotels that the NHL can just take over but nothing is officially announced yet as to which ones.

Oh gotcha - I was under the impression that there was just going to be one city, and that they were down to two potential choices - I guess I heard that wrong.  Thanks for clarifying.

I really wish they would have condensed or shortened these playoffs so that next season could have started as close to on-time as possible and not ruin or tarnish two separate seasons, but I guess with the way things are going around the country and even the world, it may not have been likely for the season to start in October anyway. 

Here I am overthinking things again - but is anyone else worried about our team regressing and/or not progressing with all this downtime?  I'd love to think all of our guys are maintaining training regimens and all that but.. let's be honest, I'll bet more than a handful are rocking solid quarantine bods like the rest of us.

I just can't imagine if our guys aren't practicing together until, what, October/November that there won't be some serious rust to shake off while these other 24 teams are going to be relatively ready to get back into action.

7 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Here I am overthinking things again - but is anyone else worried about our team regressing and/or not progressing with all this downtime?  I'd love to think all of our guys are maintaining training regimens and all that but.. let's be honest, I'll bet more than a handful are rocking solid quarantine bods like the rest of us.

I just can't imagine if our guys aren't practicing together until, what, October/November that there won't be some serious rust to shake off while these other 24 teams are going to be relatively ready to get back into action.

Jack is obviously the player I’m focused on the most, and according to an article from The Athletic a while back he has been working out with his brothers in Michigan at their home gym. Apparently their parents live really close to USNDT complex, and they received a bunch of equipment from them. Which was encouraging. Even after Quinn returns to camp at least Jack can continue to work out with young Luke. Not really worried about Nico either honestly as far as staying in shape. You said that kid doing them crazy flips online? Lol. The rest? Who knows...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Well, unfortunately there's nothing we can do about it. If it were me, I would be constantly training if I was a pro athlete. But I bet some of them have let themselves have a little "me" time. 

Personally, I'm down 15 pounds since March. Maybe another 5 pounds on top of that as of yesterday because I finally had my hair cut. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Personally, I'm down 15 pounds since March. Maybe another 5 pounds on top of that as of yesterday because I finally had my hair cut. 

Respect.  I'm a snacker by nature (probably my worst habit) so it's all-too-easy to just grab a bag of pretzels while I'm sitting at my home desk here and snack away while working.

Awful habit.  I clearly have no impulse control.

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Respect.  I'm a snacker by nature (probably my worst habit) so it's all-too-easy to just grab a bag of pretzels while I'm sitting at my home desk here and snack away while working.

Awful habit.  I clearly have no impulse control.

Beer has been my vice, especially with every other week working construct here. Plus a group of us created a chat for social distance drinking, mandatory chugs once a weekend. The only thing saving my waistline is my urge to run like freaking Forrest Gump. No joke, since COVID I’ve logged close to 300 miles. Not all that impressive for 3 months but still

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

And they've appointed a new GM already. I wish the Devils would decide what they're doing about the GM and coach positions. So they could, you know, maybe work on a strategy for the draft, for free agency, put plans into place for next season so the they don't look as unprepared as they did this season.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

And they've appointed a new GM already. I wish the Devils would decide what they're doing about the GM and coach positions. So they could, you know, maybe work on a strategy for the draft, for free agency, put plans into place for next season so the they don't look as unprepared as they did this season.

I mean to me this seems massively knee jerk. I would rather take time over things. Also I really do feel Fitz actually has the job. Even with the rumours of others being interviewed. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I mean to me this seems massively knee jerk. I would rather take time over things. Also I really do feel Fitz actually has the job. Even with the rumours of others being interviewed. 

Well Hynes was fired the beginning of December and Shero in January. We're now half way through June so it's hardly knee jerk and I was being a bit tounge in cheek as well.

I think that they have a good opportunity to really get stuck into the preparation for next season and if, as you feel, Fitz has the job they should get on and announce it. Surely the uncertainty on who'll be the GM is counterproductive in finding a new coach?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Never saw a game there but I've heard it was a good place to watch a game.

And I mean literally just.. watch hockey.  Everything else about the place apparently sucked.

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Never saw a game there but I've heard it was a good place to watch a game.

And I mean literally just.. watch hockey.  Everything else about the place apparently sucked.

Yup, that's extremely accurate. I'm in the minority with my opinion but I wish they fvcked off and moved, I hate their fan base. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Guess it’s Barclays until the new arena is ready.... although I’m not even sure how the Isles’ lease works there.

That’s hilarious. Remember a few months back (feels like years now) they petitioned the NHL to be able to play playoff games there instead of Barcraps Center? 

they were begging to leave Brooklyn almost the second they got there. Now they’ll be forced by default, unless they want to “slum” it at the Rock or MSG. Could always go to Bridgeport too

• Like 1
8 hours ago, jagknife said:

That’s hilarious. Remember a few months back (feels like years now) they petitioned the NHL to be able to play playoff games there instead of Barcraps Center? 

they were begging to leave Brooklyn almost the second they got there. Now they’ll be forced by default, unless they want to “slum” it at the Rock or MSG. Could always go to Bridgeport too

Is the old CAA a possibility? Still there?