Satans Hockey

NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

If Elias was in a bigger city, likely would get in. I do think also - I would hope Doc would be the one to push for Patrik -is that look at the points he put up WITH THE DEVILS of all teams. He sacrificed a lot, playing two-way here for many years.

Announcement has been made.  Here is your 2020 HHOF Class:

Marian Hossa

Jerome Iginla

Kevin Lowe

Kim St. Pierre

Doug Wilson

Ken Holland

Hossa will have to decline because he’s allergic to the podium at the ceremony. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Marian Hossa

Jerome Iginla

Kevin Lowe

Kim St. Pierre

Doug Wilson

Ken Holland

Pretty good class, all things considered.... Little sketchy on Lowe and Wilson though.

Edited by MadDog2020

43 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Pretty good class, all things considered.... Little sketchy on Lowe and Wilson though.

Doug Wilson is Pierre Turgeon on defense, LOL! Awesome player, overshadowed by greats Bourque, Robinson, MacInnis, Coffey, Potvin. I just checked to see if he won a Norris Trophy, and he did win one.

I'll always remember him as one of the last NHL players to not wear a helmet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Marian Hossa

May the cheating that the Hawks did to completely circumvent the salary cap be forever memorialized in the HHOF.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Flashback, 25 years ago. Devils players on Letterman with the Cup.

"Stephane Richter" lol.  Pretty cool how they poured coffee out of it into Letterman's mug.

• Like 1

Always a hoot seeing hockey players just wearing their jerseys, no equipment underneath, no full uniform, no helmet, no skates...really gives them that "Could be one of us" vibe, in an awesome way. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

If Elias was in a bigger city, likely would get in. I do think also - I would hope Doc would be the one to push for Patrik -is that look at the points he put up WITH THE DEVILS of all teams. He sacrificed a lot, playing two-way here for many years.

Not this early in his eligibility.  I do think he squeaks in eventually though (though Alfredsson not getting in yet makes me wonder how long we'll have to wait.  Feels like it's going to be a while).    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, insanity_gallops said:

Iginla = first ballot HOFer.

I love Elias. Maybe my all-time favorite Devils player. I went out and bought a new Elias jersey when he re-upped with the Devils instead of the Rangers, complete with the captain's C on the shoulder. I have a hard time arguing for his inclusion into the HOF at this point, though. I completely understand the arguments in favor of putting him in (look at the system in which he played, look at the roles he was tasked with handling, etc.) but I just don't think he had enough "dominant" seasons where he popped off the page/screen to make him stick out to non-Devils fans. His age 22 - 37 seasons (which I think someone else pointed out earlier) were .88 points per game, which is excellent given the time period, but he was so very balanced that he doesn't stand out to people as one thing or another: his stats don't scream "goal scorer," or "setup man," but rather, "I can do it all and I'll excel at doing everything in a really damn good way." I don't think that pushes him across the line right now. Perhaps if advanced stats & metrics were/are able to cast his achievements in a different light, this is conversation takes a turn.

It's funny, my gut reaction was, "Alfredsson isn't a HOFer." Then I just went and did the same activity for his stats, and from 23 - 37 he averaged just under a point per game for over a thousand games, and he really was the driving offensive force for the Senators. His lines with Spezza and Hossa/Heatley were so damn dominant at times. I still remember the ass-kicking that line handed out to the Devils at Opening Night at the Prudential Center. Woof. From the '01-'02 season to the '09-'10 season, he was excellent nearly every game. I still don't think of him as a Hall of Fame player, but if he's voted in, I get it. Not as good defensively as Elias (to my recollection, anyway) but he could flat-out score and generate offense. 

Alfredsson would also be the first "true Senator" in the HOF, because right now it's just Hasek as far as OTT players go.

The bolded was me (he put up 0.90 PPG for this stretch BTW)...I was looking at what I call Elias' "meat" years...basically lopping off his development and decline seasons, which weren't really reflective of the player he was in his prime.  

Yeah, once we put aside any bias that we have toward Elias (not to mention that we love the guy), he really is the perfect borderline case...not getting in during his second year of eligibility shouldn't be seen as him being unfairly snubbed.

I didn't watch nearly enough of Alfredsson game in and game out during his career, but based purely on his numbers (and a 10-year stretch where he put 782 points in 731 games...expand it out a little (age 24-37), and you get 931 points in 920 GP in a 13-year stretch...that's a long chunk of seasons to manage better than a PPG in the Dead Puck Era, and he was a +173 in those 13 seasons to boot), I can't really argue that Elias should go in ahead of him.  And the times that I did see Alfredsson, I knew I was watching a terrific player.  I know guys get docked for not winning championships, but at the same time, I'm not sure how fair that is.  Alfredsson had 100 points in 118 playoff games with the Sens...was their failure to win a Cup while he was there all on him?  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Posted (edited)

yeah i agree that Elias is very very borderline. I'd be happy if he gets in but also have to be conscious of what sort of floodgate it would open. There's been a LOT of players like him in the league. So if Elias gets in then every fan base we feel justified to push their own versions of that lol

I personally don't NEED Elias to be in the HOF. He was VERY special for us and his # will be in the rafters forever. That's good enough for me.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah i agree that Elias is very very borderline. I'd be happy if he gets in but also have to be conscious of what sort of floodgate it would open. There's been a LOT of players like him in the league. So if Elias gets in then every fan base we feel justified to push their own versions of that lol

I personally don't NEED Elias to be in the HOF. He was VERY special for us and his # will be in the rafters forever. That's good enough for me

The funny thing is much as I don't like playing amateur psychologist, I suspect Elias is probably happy with everything he accomplished too, and with having spent his whole career here, on one team (along with winning a pair of Cups and yeah, owning what is looking like the last Devils number to be retired for a long long time).  I'm sure he would love to be in the Hall someday, but I don't think it's going to crush him if he ultimately never gets in.  A lot of players would kill to have enjoyed a similar career, Hall or no Hall.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The funny thing is much as I don't like playing amateur psychologist, I suspect Elias is probably happy with everything he accomplished too, and with having spent his whole career here, on one team (along with winning a pair of Cups and yeah, owning what is looking like the last Devils number to be retired for a long long time).  I'm sure he would love to be in the Hall someday, but I don't think it's going to crush him if he ultimately never gets in.  A lot of players would kill to have enjoyed a similar career, Hall or no Hall.  

I assume it's like actors without Oscars... most of my fav actors were never in Oscar bait movies so never had the chance at it BUT are still legendary actors with huge accomplishment behind them.

i'm a bit biased cause to me Oscars are just a circlejerk and very exclusive club of elitist who think the stuff they love (generally dramas, biopics and historical stuff) is above the rest, can't stand it.

The Letterman clip was great. Dave was king back then and very funny.  

Loved that there was a bunch of NJ people in the audience screaming hard for our boys. 

The Richter mistake was excusable, but the Tennessee references were annoying. But proved Dave was up on the sports news anyway.

Enjoying the nostalgia today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Related -- CR, you likely already saw this -- I completely forgot Alfredsson didn't spend his entire career with the Senators. Totally blanked on his non-OTT season to end his career.

Without looking it up, anyone else remember him playing on that other team? HockeyDB has confirmed it's true, but I don't have any memories (or highlights in my brain) from that season.

Kinda like Modano's last season... though I remember that, and Alfredsson fared better.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, insanity_gallops said:

Related -- CR, you likely already saw this -- I completely forgot Alfredsson didn't spend his entire career with the Senators. Totally blanked on his non-OTT season to end his career.

Without looking it up, anyone else remember him playing on that other team? HockeyDB has confirmed it's true, but I don't have any memories (or highlights in my brain) from that season.

Kinda like Modano's last season... though I remember that, and Alfredsson fared better.

I probably would've forgotten it too if you hadn't mentioned it, but now that you did, it sounds familiar....didn't he go to a rival, wasn't it Toronto?  

EDIT:  I just looked and saw who it was... wouldn't have guessed them, but now I do remember.  Kinda random destination.

Edited by NJDfan1711

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hall or no Hall.  

That just gave me 2019 flashbacks lol. 

• Haha 1

Patty is never getting in

I remember Butch Goring saying once that if Patty got in, he should get in

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I probably would've forgotten it too if you hadn't mentioned it, but now that you did, it sounds familiar....didn't he go to a rival, wasn't it Toronto?  

EDIT:  I just looked and saw who it was... wouldn't have guessed them, but now I do remember.  Kinda random destination.

The Red Wings were no strangers to bringing in aging bigger-name vets (even if they’re pretty well past their primes).

• Like 2

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2020/06/29/26-nhl-players-have-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-since-the-opening-of-phase-2/

"26 players in total have tested positive since June 8, the opening of Phase 2 small-group activities. 15 have tested positive when returning to their NHL practice facilities while another 11 players tested positive “outside of the Phase 2 protocol.”

So if they end up canceling before the play in, what happens to the 1OA?

29 minutes ago, Crisis said:

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2020/06/29/26-nhl-players-have-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-since-the-opening-of-phase-2/

"26 players in total have tested positive since June 8, the opening of Phase 2 small-group activities. 15 have tested positive when returning to their NHL practice facilities while another 11 players tested positive “outside of the Phase 2 protocol.”

So if they end up canceling before the play in, what happens to the 1OA?

Probably do an entirely new lotto show where everyone gets a shot but the entire thing is weighted on point percentage or whatever. 

48 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Probably do an entirely new lotto show where everyone gets a shot but the entire thing is weighted on point percentage or whatever. 

Just slide everyone up one pick and give the worst of the would be play-in teams #8. 

I hope so.  I'm just worried that they would sort by point percentage and give those bottom 8 would be play in teams a 12.5% chance at the pick.

43 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Just slide everyone up one pick and give the worst of the would be play-in teams #8. 

Not how it's going to work. The play-in teams will all have the same percentage chance of getting the #1 pick in a lottery just for that pick.