NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

It's  because Vancouver didn't make the Playoffs.  Which is the tournament of 16 teams.  If they win their series against Minne, then yeah, we get the pick.  I think it's because the intention of the clause is implying that the pick will be in the second half of the draft.  The play in isn't the Playoffs. 

The fact that the NHL is counting the stats of the play in as postseason stats is more so the confusing part.  I can see both sides of that argument and I'm just happy that I didn't have to make that decision.  Yeah, the games are going to feel like playoff games since they are against the same team and players face elimination, so I feel that it does represent the "clutch" that is baked into postseason stats.  But on the other hand, I do think that it is a little unfair to count those extra games as postseason games played.  Players on a team that go from the play in to the Stanley Cup Finals will have the opportunity to unfairly break other postseason records because they were given an extra 5 game series to pad the stats.  Now the important question.. does it really matter to me?  fvck no.  I just like arguing.

• Like 1

Going to be interesting to see what happens here, there's apparently conflicting reports that these teams are exempt from this but since it's breaking news nothing is confirmed yet. If it's true I don't see how you can keep people out of outdoor stadiums and not indoor arenas so I don't see crowds for the Flyers or 76ers and I'd imagine NJ and probably NYC will end up doing the same as this... 

Edited by Satans Hockey

5 hours ago, Crisis said:

It's  because Vancouver didn't make the Playoffs.  Which is the tournament of 16 teams.  If they win their series against Minne, then yeah, we get the pick.  I think it's because the intention of the clause is implying that the pick will be in the second half of the draft.  The play in isn't the Playoffs. 

The fact that the NHL is counting the stats of the play in as postseason stats is more so the confusing part.  I can see both sides of that argument and I'm just happy that I didn't have to make that decision.  Yeah, the games are going to feel like playoff games since they are against the same team and players face elimination, so I feel that it does represent the "clutch" that is baked into postseason stats.  But on the other hand, I do think that it is a little unfair to count those extra games as postseason games played.  Players on a team that go from the play in to the Stanley Cup Finals will have the opportunity to unfairly break other postseason records because they were given an extra 5 game series to pad the stats.  Now the important question.. does it really matter to me?  fvck no.  I just like arguing.

This is a good explanation and I agree with you. They are playing word games rather than just picking a stance and saying Yes or No. So even if Vancouver loses the play-in round they will still have been considered to have made it to the "postseason" as far as their team stats/playoff streak is concerned yet they also haven't made the playoffs at the same time. 

image.png.04f28965d3bae31943733886c8d03703.png