Satans Hockey

NHL Pauses season, not cancelled. Yet.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To be clear, I wasn't offended at all when I responded to you.  Was just pointing out that under very difficult circumstances, I don't think ownership was doing anything out of line...and even then, they did what they really didn't have to, and reversed their decision. 

I just think people tend to jump on "rich people" very quickly sometimes, and often unfairly...not knocking you specifically, just the general attitude that very wealthy people must be greedy misers.  

I was reacting to SD, no one else. All is well now... well minus being exhausted and knowing I’m going home to at least one throwing up toddler.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I have questions about any business that’s already laying people off or not paying people. I mean, it’s been a few days, if your business already has to stop paying people, you’re in bad shape.

This isn't a normal case of shutting down for a few days and not being able to pay your employees, it's looking like possibly a lot more weeks and possibly even months which affects income coming in for any business as a whole. With somethings completely shut down right near it changes everything. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

If that figure is between the Devils and the Sixers, I could see how that’s possible. 

I’m glad they’re all getting paid. I have questions about any business that’s already laying people off or not paying people. I mean, it’s been a few days, if your business already has to stop paying people, you’re in bad shape.

Of course, there’s plenty of people (restaurant servers, people who cut hair, etc) who just don’t get paid if they aren’t working. I feel bad for folks in that boat. 

i own a business and as soon as we were told that we could not accept retail traffic, we furloughed certain employees that would have nothing to do (think cashiers, greeters, etc) with no traffic. and it's not that we're in bad shape if we paid these people with drastically reduced revenue for a week or two. it's that we'd be in big trouble if we kept paying them for two months. but, we also paid out all paid time off and sick. So anyone furloughed doesn't see any difference in their next two checks which will essentially cover the next 6 weeks. we did this so after 6 weeks, they can immediately get unemployment with no two week wait time from when they were furloughed. and they are all welcome to come back at their exact salary the day that we are allowed to accept walk in traffic.

and i'm in a business that, theoretically, if you don't buy it from me today, you can buy it from me in a month because you're going to need it eventually. but for businesses like food, or events, or things that if it's not bought today, its never bought - those are where you have to cut the cord on employees quickly. and even if you have a war chest, it's really not meant for things like this that are no fault of your own and especially when the government is coming to help you out.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

i own a business and as soon as we were told that we could not accept retail traffic, we furloughed certain employees that would have nothing to do (think cashiers, greeters, etc) with no traffic. and it's not that we're in bad shape if we paid these people with drastically reduced revenue for a week or two. it's that we'd be in big trouble if we kept paying them for two months. but, we also paid out all paid time off and sick. So anyone furloughed doesn't see any difference in their next two checks which will essentially cover the next 6 weeks. we did this so after 6 weeks, they can immediately get unemployment with no two week wait time from when they were furloughed. and they are all welcome to come back at their exact salary the day that we are allowed to accept walk in traffic.

and i'm in a business that, theoretically, if you don't buy it from me today, you can buy it from me in a month because you're going to need it eventually. but for businesses like food, or events, or things that if it's not bought today, its never bought - those are where you have to cut the cord on employees quickly. and even if you have a war chest, it's really not meant for things like this that are no fault of your own and especially when the government is coming to help you out.

I guess that makes sense. 

48 minutes ago, andy said:

Watching Game 6 on NBCSN.

Me too. This team had a tenacious forecheck and that 4th line were a bunch of overachievers. 

Posted (edited)

Tbh I don’t even see what was so bad about the pay cut to where they had to apologize and do an about face even if it wasn’t being paid back, since they were cutting their ‘highest’ paid employees, these aren’t the people who are living paycheck to paycheck. Sure Harris and Blitzer can absorb the loss better so it’s a chintzy look but the Twitter mob was railing against cuts for VP’s and GM’s as if it was the arena vendors being cut. This wasn’t particularly out of line compared to most other CEO’s like the president of Whole Foods who’s telling his healthy employees to donate their sick days to the sick people instead of just paying for/absorbing the cost of extra sick days himself.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Tbh I don’t even see what was so bad about the pay cut to where they had to apologize and do an about face even if it wasn’t being paid back, since they were cutting their ‘highest’ paid employees, these aren’t the people who are living paycheck to paycheck. Sure Harris and Blitzer can absorb the loss better but the Twitter mob was railing against cuts for VP’s and GM’s, not the arena vendors. They weren’t laying anyone off or cutting back pay for the out of work ushers.

They were cutting people making as little as $50k a year. That’s people making $960 a week getting cut to about $770. That’s going to be a big deal for people trying to pay their bills. 

Also, it specified at-will employees, meaning employees without a contract, so the GM and probably the other executives aren’t included in that.

Edited by mfitz804

It's amazing at how much of a difference it makes in terms of standard of living when you make $50K in NJ versus say in the Mid-West or Carolinas.

For what I paid for my latest home that I bought last June I could live in a house 2-3 times bigger in the Carolinas.

11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It's amazing at how much of a difference it makes in terms of standard of living when you make $50K in NJ versus say in the Mid-West or Carolinas.

For what I paid for my latest home that I bought last June I could live in a house 2-3 times bigger in the Carolinas.

I have one of the smallest houses on my block, I could buy the nicest 5 bed, 5 bath house in North Carolina and have money left over. 

I know this because I have friends who recently did it lol. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I have one of the smallest houses on my block, I could buy the nicest 5 bed, 5 bath house in North Carolina and have money left over. 

I know this because I have friends who recently did it lol. 

And I bet their property tax is 1/4 the amount, if that.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I know it’s low. 

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

This +100.

We have a house in Jersey and a house in Denver NC.  Both houses = in value \ only because the one in NC is on  lake Norman. A house across the street from that one not on the lake is 1/2 the value.  Taxes in NJ are 18k+ the house in NC is under 3k.  Crazy.

2 hours ago, titans04 said:

This +100.

We have a house in Jersey and a house in Denver NC.  Both houses = in value \ only because the one in NC is on  lake Norman. A house across the street from that one not on the lake is 1/2 the value.  Taxes in NJ are 18k+ the house in NC is under 3k.  Crazy.

And many people working in Charlotte buy homes in northern south Carolina and it's even less expensive..!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

That's why people move South. I live in Va. & my taxes are reasonable. The rest of my family live in Manasquan, Sea Girt, Brick & Howell. They get raped .

44 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

That's why people move South. I live in Va. & my taxes are reasonable. The rest of my family live in Manasquan, Sea Girt, Brick & Howell. They get raped .

yep.  Although nobody forces us to live down here.  Taxed to death by choice.

Guess who has two thumbs, a 101.8 degree fever, a smoker's cough and a third refusal from Indian River County on a request for a COVD-19 test while I have an immunocompromised wife sitting next to me? 

this guy. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Guess who has two thumbs, a 101.8 degree fever, a smoker's cough and a third refusal from Indian River County on a request for a COVD-19 test while I have an immunocompromised wife sitting next to me? 

this guy. 

Hopefully, you can get tested soon, know one way or the other. Hang in there brother

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MB3 said:

this guy. 

Hope you feel better soon bro.... and that’s total bullsh!t, how can they not allow you to get tested when you’re showing symptoms?! Florida is a joke.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, MB3 said:

this guy. 

What's the reason they are giving you for refusing you the test? If you're not a perfect candidate(unfortunately) who is? Crazy. 

I know this is far from ideal but I've seen doctors and nurses setting up beds in garages and spare rooms to stay away from their families during this. Surely not ideal but better safe than sorry if it's possible at all for you. 

I hope you feel better soon!

Edited by Satans Hockey

40 minutes ago, MB3 said:

this guy. 

Feel better man. 

My wife has milder symptoms than yours, but was in contact with someone who tested positive, so she has been tested. Awaiting results.

99% we’re all gonna get some form of it before it’s all over. 

54 minutes ago, MB3 said:

this guy. 

Feel better brother!!  The entire testing situation is a farce.

That's horrible and I hope you feel better.

My ex sister in law's boss died from it the other day.

A sushi chef at the closest supermarket from me about a mile away died a couple days ago as well.

This virus is no joke.

• Like 1