NHL: 24 team playoffs soon. Devil's season is over

Satans Hockey

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

Love how the Friday game is just listed as a Severson late game winner. Not like anything else of note happened that night, lol

That was on a week or two ago. I wondered about the significance? It was OV's 700th career goal. 28's goal was pretty though.

14 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I wish they would show more old games like the first ever game and first ever win from 1982. At this point I'd even like for them to just start showing all the playoff series starting from the beginning.

Yeah, I mean why not?  Netflix and other outlets are great and all, but people don't realize that studios and productions are shut down, and once we've all seen the shows currently out there, content is gonna be old and scarce because no one is able to shoot and create anything new right now.  Might as well dig up and air as many of the old archives as possible to keep things interesting. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, I mean why not?  Netflix and other outlets are great and all, but people don't realize that studios and productions are shut down, and once we've all seen the shows currently out there, content is gonna be old and scarce because no one is able to shoot and create anything new right now.  Might as well dig up and air as many of the old archives as possible to keep things interesting. 

Well if everything is shot and in post-production its possible. I'm currently working on a Shudder exclusive movie for example. We're just all doing it remotely and chatting, exchanging shots etc etc

I'm watching the game on MSG+ from 1998 because I couldn't sleep. Its fun to watch a little hockey from way back when I was a teen.  I always forget how great of a puck handler Marty was. I'm amazed more goalies don't make that a bigger part of their game.

here's what the team looked like if anyone was wondering:

Sykora-Arnott-Andreychuck

Elias-Holik-McKay

Rolston-Carpenter-Thomas

Brylin-Pederson-Oliwa

Stevens-Odelein  

Neidermayer-Bodger

Daneyko-Souray

Brodeur

Dunham

I'm guessing Gilmour was injured at this time. Zubrus was on the Flyers at this point and former number one overall pick Alexander Daigle scored while I was watching. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MB3 said:

any lull we see because of that won’t be for months. shows don’t just get written, recorded, produced and released in a month haha. 

there will be a steady diet of new shows coming out soon, count on it.

No kidding, I never said they did, but the fact of the matter is there's only 12 months in a calendar year, and we've already gone through one full month of no live recording.  It's time lost, and it's going to affect deadlines and release dates.  That's all I'm saying.

So the wife and I are binging “What we do in the Shadows.” Funny mocumentary about vampires.

Episode 6 they have one old ass vampire walking around in a Devils hat on Staten Island.

“Why are all of these people looking at me?”

“Devils Suck!”

”...but we’re vampires!”

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

So the wife and I are binging “What we do in the Shadows.” Funny mocumentary about vampires.

Episode 6 they have one old ass vampire walking around in a Devils hat on Staten Island.

“Devils Suck!”

”...but we’re vampires!”

I love What We Do in the Shadows! Have you seen the movie? It’s even funnier than the show. Pretty much everything Taika Waititi does is gold in my book. 

25 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I love What We Do in the Shadows! Have you seen the movie? It’s even funnier than the show. Pretty much everything Taika Waititi does is gold in my book. 

I have not, I’ll look into it though. We just finished Hunters then Turn: Washington’s Spies (picked back up pate season 2), then jumped on the Tiger King bandwagon and needed another comedy so we rolled to Shadows.

Edited by jagknife

20 hours ago, MB3 said:

That was the first season I remember being a diehard fan. Losing to the Penguins in OT in game 6 was the first time I sobbed at the result of a hockey game. Such a great team... such an embarrassing first round exit. 

They were very good (they were actually 2nd in Goals-For that season) and able to keep scores down, but lacked that go-to goal-scorer...they were more of a "by committee" type of offensive team (not always a bad thing, but Holik had a way of never finding the net come playoff time back then, which isn't good when he had emerged as an offensive force for the Devils at that time...he was clearly someone the Devils couldn't rely on to score in the playoffs).  Elias was still developing too...he would take a huge step forward in 1999-00, but in 1998-99 was still a work in progress.

Marty was also very ordinary that year, though due to some nice glamour numbers (like 39 wins), it wasn't necessarily obvious at quick glance...he put up a .906 save% in the regular season, and just .856 for that playoff round (a -2.66 GSAA for the regular season and a -8.15 GSAA for the playoffs...both numbers suggest below-average play)...at that point, it was the worst season of his career, by a pretty significant margin.  That led to some write-ups about how he'd reached a crossroads at 27 years old, and some writers were even suggesting that he might be overrated (though 1998-99 had been his first truly meh season).

Marty definitely destroyed any of that talk with a terrific 1999-00 regular season, followed by a great Cup-winning playoff performance.  

As disappointing as 1998-99 was, if you went into 1999-00 thinking "If Elias can take another step forward, and if Marty can bounce back, and everyone else can turn in similar years (like Arnott and Sykora), they should be OK", you were covered...Elias scored as many goals in 1999-00 as his did in the previous two seasons combined and had clearly emerged as a star player, and of course, Lou nabbed Brian Rafaski in the offseason, and would later deal for Mogilny and Malakhov to help solidify the roster...and realized that Ftorek absolutely positively 100% had to go, regardless of when.  Basically, as pissed as I was at the time, about 1998-99...when I look back on it, I realize that those Devils weren't quite ready.  Thank Robinson that he was able to steer the 1999-00 team away from falling apart.  That team definitely had NO business not making some serious playoff noise...way too much talent.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They were very good (they were actually 2nd in Goals-For that season) and able to keep scores down, but lacked that go-to goal-scorer...they were more of a "by committee" type of offensive team (not always a bad thing, but Holik had a way of never finding the net come playoff time back then, which isn't good when he had emerged as an offensive force for the Devils at that time...he was clearly someone the Devils couldn't rely on to score in the playoffs).  Elias was still developing too...he would take a huge step forward in 1999-00, but in 1998-99 was still a work in progress.

Marty was also very ordinary that year, though due to some nice glamour numbers (like 39 wins), it wasn't necessarily obvious at quick glance...he put up a .906 save% in the regular season, and just .856 for that playoff round (a -2.66 GSAA for the regular season and a -8.15 GSAA for the playoffs...both numbers suggest below-average play)...at that point, it was the worst season of his career, by a pretty significant margin.  That led to some write-ups about how he'd reached a crossroads at 27 years old, and some writers were even suggesting that he might be overrated (though 1998-99 had been his first truly meh season).

Marty definitely destroyed any of that talk with a terrific 1999-00 regular season, followed by a great Cup-winning playoff performance.  

As disappointing as 1998-99 was, if you went into 1999-00 thinking "If Elias can take another step forward, and if Marty can bounce back, and everyone else can turn in similar years (like Arnott and Sykora), they should be OK", you were covered...Elias scored as many goals in 1999-00 as his did in the previous two seasons combined and had clearly emerged as a star player, and of course, Lou nabbed Brian Rafaski in the offseason, and would later deal for Mogilny and Malakhov to help solidify the roster...and realized that Ftorek absolutely positively 100% had to go, regardless of when.  Basically, as pissed as I was at the time, about 1998-99...when I look back on it, I realize that those Devils weren't quite ready.  Thank Robinson that he was able to steer the 1999-00 team away from falling apart.  That team definitely had NO business not making some serious playoff noise...way too much talent.  

here's how different things were. in '98-'99, i had been a partial STH and actually CANCELLED my ST for '99-'00 because i was so frustrated with constant playoff disappointments since the '95 cup. Half way through '99-'00, I reupped and have had full ST ever since (although I've already made the decision to not renew full for next year even before Covid). Oh to have those problems now ;)

5 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

here's how different things were. in '98-'99, i had been a partial STH and actually CANCELLED my ST for '99-'00 because i was so frustrated with constant playoff disappointments since the '95 cup. Half way through '99-'00, I reupped and have had full ST ever since (although I've already made the decision to not renew full for next year even before Covid). Oh to have those problems now ;)

I actually had the Devils getting swept in the first round in 1999-00...they had beaten up on some bad teams once Robinson took over, but in general were uneven and I just felt like it wasn't going to come together for them in time...I just wasn't feeling a whole of confidence.  Glad I was 100% wrong.  

And yeah without actual hockey to watch, I find myself looking at my fair share of videos on youtube...so many names that felt like they were never going to go away...and in hockey years, some of them did last damned near forever.  All I know is if/when the Devils are able to become consistently relevant again, I will appreciate every last second of it.  And make sure my daughter does the same (though to her credit, she's stuck by them to date in spite of them having given her very little to cheer for).  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jagknife said:

“Devils Suck!”

”...but we’re vampires!”

I don't know him, but there's a 90% chance his name was Joey or Anthony. Just sayin'.

18 hours ago, DevilMinder said:

I guess the Devils won't be the only one with a * next to their cup win. Sounds like the NHL is really going to do the summer playoffs.

Do we really have an asterisk from 95?  It's not quite the same given that the season wasn't postponed and stopped abruptly in the middle....it just started later.  If you ask me that season was fair game and doesn't deserve to be looked at differently or marked with am asterisk.  

Do the Blackhawks not have one when they won in 2013?  

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Pretty sure only to a-hole Rangers fans. 

personally (and i may be biased) but if the playoffs were fully played and that the team were in the playoffs in a solid position. There's not that many what ifs there.

But for individual awards and all that... when we all know some guys get hot and drop mid season and all that. Then i'd accept some * next to some award

35 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

personally (and i may be biased) but if the playoffs were fully played and that the team were in the playoffs in a solid position. There's not that many what ifs there.

But for individual awards and all that... when we all know some guys get hot and drop mid season and all that. Then i'd accept some * next to some award

Not me, not where everyone played the same season. If the season was 41 games, whomever was the MVP of those 41 games gets the Hart, and so forth. Not their fault that the season was abbreviated. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not me, not where everyone played the same season. If the season was 41 games, whomever was the MVP of those 41 games gets the Hart, and so forth. Not their fault that the season was abbreviated. 

yeah thats fair but also i don't think its unfair to have some * in our minds for some stuff.

When you look at history on paper all you see is the results not the context. Say one year one powerhouse got decimated with injuries right before the finals or something. I know results are results and its part of the game but still

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah thats fair but also i don't think its unfair to have some * in our minds for some stuff.

When you look at history on paper all you see is the results not the context. Say one year one powerhouse got decimated with injuries right before the finals or something. I know results are results and its part of the game but still

If you are suggesting that a team that makes the finals and wins because their opponent had several injuries of their top players should have an asterisk next to their championship, that's absolute crap.

• Like 1