Hall, Coyotes talking contract with NHL season paused: report

smelly

19 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I'm not some crazy analyst or rabid numbers kinda fan, but I feel like we have one of the dumbest fanbases in terms of hockey IQ.  I literally saw someone comment the other day that LOU LAMORIELLO should have done more to keep Hall. You can't make this sh!t up. 

facebook and twitter bring out the absolute worst in our fans. that's why I stick to here for talking it and the few Devil fans I have.

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

2 years at $4.5m per. That sounds credible. 

as opposed to the one year cup chasing deal?

or the deal here that he turned down - the one he was never offered.

Edited by titans04

10 minutes ago, titans04 said:

as opposed to the one year cup chasing deal?

or the deal here that he turned down - the one he was never offered.

You mean the one he said he wasn’t interested in talking about until he saw what happened?

And he saw...

Given everything, I think if a contender with cap room offers Hall a one-year bet-on-himself $10 million-or-so deal, he might want to consider that.  Obviously a risk, but not sure if the offers based on his overall injury history and this season's kinda meh year are going to be what he was hoping for, as far as long-term deals go.  

If I was a betting man I would bet he still gets a mega deal, I think it's our somewhat bitterness talking now that he's not all that great and he's going to have to settle for something way less than originally thought.  I mean ffs look at what a guy like Kevin Hayes got. Again we've got money to burn........

• Like 1

I  just don't want him here, it didn't work out well this season and I hate seeing returning players come back and it very rarely pans out well for us when they do. We saw Hall's best season that he most likely will have. 

Been there, done that, time to move on. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I  just don't want him here, it didn't work out well this season and I hate seeing returning players come back and it very rarely pans out well for us when they do. We saw Hall's best season that he most likely will have. 

I would rather have him on the team than constantly running AHL players out there. 

• Like 2

Yeah that whole our lineup is weak sucks year after year.  But his ship has sailed for whatever reason, not sure we'll ever really know why.  I lean towards he had no desire to be here whatsoever which does sting if true.

Edited by titans04

2 hours ago, titans04 said:

wanna laugh read some of the comments here in the replies to this tweet. Holy hell makes it embarrassing to even be a fan of the team or even the sport. 

Between Parise, Kovy and now Hall, Devils fans seem to be the worst at acting like scorned women who got rejected.  I get other fans are probably similar, but it seems to be especially bad with Devils fans.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Hall is probably still the best option out there.  I would still take him in a heartbeat.  Even at this year's production he would have still been our leading point-scorer.

Even with the huge amount of cap space and with the cap ceiling being limited by COVID-19 over the next couple of seasons, we will still be hard pressed at getting UFA at levels similar to Hall or better to sign here.  Players just don't want to sign in NJ unless it is a last resort.  Even with his injuries I would still chance it.  I would rather have 60 games a season of him than 82 games of the likes of McLeod, Rooney, Hayden, etc here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Hall is probably still the best option out there.  I would still take him in a heartbeat.  Even at this year's production he would have still been our leading point-scorer.

Even with the huge amount of cap space and with the cap ceiling being limited by COVID-19 over the next couple of seasons, we will still be hard pressed at getting UFA at levels similar to Hall or better to sign here.  Players just don't want to sign in NJ unless it is a last resort.  Even with his injuries I would still chance it.  I would rather have 60 games a season of him than 82 games of the likes of McLeod, Rooney, Hayden, etc here.

I get it but I think it's going to be a non issue anyway because I just don't see him wanting to come back here. He wants to win and we didn't make any steps in the right direction that points us to doing that any time soon on a contending level. 

Would you come back to a team that has question marks around the entire franchise at the moment, coach and GM wise? He'll probably take a little less money and go to a team that has a legit shot at contending. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

We did the same with him here anyway lol

That’s fair lol. 

But he could take one of those spots. 

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I get it but I think it's going to be a non issue anyway because I just don't see him wanting to come back here. He wants to win and we didn't make any steps in the right direction that points us to doing that any time soon on a contending level. 

Would you come back to a team that has question marks around the entire franchise at the moment, coach and GM wise? He'll probably take a little less money and go to a team that has a legit shot at contending. 

100% right. I still maintain he has no desire to be here and he won’t be back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

You mean the one he said he wasn’t interested in talking about until he saw what happened?

And he saw...

If any dude on earth is kicking himself right now, it’s Hall..... I guarantee that if you gave him a crystal ball back in September and he saw what would end up happening with the pandemic, he and his agent would’ve gone to Ray’s office and said ‘8 for 72 and you have a deal’. 

19 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

He has said he wants a long term deal.  And assuming the report that Colorado has no interest in signing him is true and that there aren't going to be any compliance buy outs, there are not going to be many teams that can give him a respectable contract.  If the Devils hit it out of the park at the draft and hire a respected coach, there may not be a better option for him than here.  I would take that chance on him.

All that said, if the league does allow compliance buy outs, he's signing with the Rangers. 

Edited by Daniel

11 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Just saw this on HF boards but apparently he just moved to Toronto so maybe he signs with them lol...

Actually I’m pretty sure he’s lived in Toronto for a few years during the off-season. He was living there in the summer when he was playing here. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, titans04 said:

If I was a betting man I would bet he still gets a mega deal, I think it's our somewhat bitterness talking now that he's not all that great and he's going to have to settle for something way less than originally thought.  I mean ffs look at what a guy like Kevin Hayes got. Again we've got money to burn........

I’ve talked about this before, but if you really look at the balance of his past several seasons, the MVP year is what really buoys that sample.  His overall production (and propensity for missing games) doesn’t really point to investing huge money to be a great move.

But when his staying here still felt like a possibility, I was willing to throw forensic caution to the wind.  Even if he wanted to come back now, I wouldn’t be as enthusiastic.  I think the return is going to be disappointing overall.

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’ve talked about this before, but if you really look at the balance of his past several seasons, the MVP year is what really buoys that sample.  His overall production (and propensity for missing games) doesn’t really point to investing huge money to be a great move.

But when his staying here still felt like a possibility, I was willing to throw forensic caution to the wind.  Even if he wanted to come back now, I wouldn’t be as enthusiastic.  I think the return is going to be disappointing overall.

I can sort of agree, but it begs the question: who are you putting in his place if you don’t bring him back? 

If the choice is between Mike McLeod (or the like) and not spending our tons of cap space, and a less than consistent Taylor Hall, I think I would pick Hall. 

if you want to tell me you are taking Hall’s $10m and bringing in some other huge talent, different story. 

We aren’t in a position to say “we don’t need Taylor Hall, let’s just continue sitting on a huge pile of money”. Nico is locked up for a bit, that’s good. Hughes hasn’t earned anything yet. What the fvck are we saving our money for? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I can sort of agree, but it begs the question: who are you putting in his place if you don’t bring him back? 

If the choice is between Mike McLeod (or the like) and not spending our tons of cap space, and a less than consistent Taylor Hall, I think I would pick Hall. 

if you want to tell me you are taking Hall’s $10m and bringing in some other huge talent, different story. 

We aren’t in a position to say “we don’t need Taylor Hall, let’s just continue sitting on a huge pile of money”. Nico is locked up for a bit, that’s good. Hughes hasn’t earned anything yet. What the fvck are we saving our money for? 

This.  It’s a syndrome that analytics people get bogged down in fretting over some theoretical cap hit to production ratio.  Whatever you pay a player is about whether it prevents you from doing something you otherwise might be in a position to do down the road.  It’s not an exact science, but it’s not a fantasy league where you have the ability to get Connor McDavid the next season.  

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Between Parise, Kovy and now Hall, Devils fans seem to be the worst at acting like scorned women who got rejected.  I get other fans are probably similar, but it seems to be especially bad with Devils fans.

So true. If you're a UFA, and you don't want to give home town discount, you'll be booed whenever you return. I was pleasantly surprised when fans clapped/"cheered" for Ovi when he scored his 700.  BTW,  if it's true Hall never received an offer, and was traded, why is He responsable?  Maybe his agent said he wanted to test free agency? He said devils never gave him an offer. (maybe Devils got cold feet)? But we'll never know, unless Shero or Fizty says so.

Also, I don't get why people still boo Parise when he comes to town? Does it ever end? I guess not. We should boo Hall I guess.