Hall, Coyotes talking contract with NHL season paused: report

smelly

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It was absolutely not “perfectly fine.” It was horrendous. There’s a reason it’s the most panned series finale since Dexter. And that’s just the last episode. The entire season was a mess. Between rushed character development, anticlimactic storylines, to a battle nobody could see...The only decent episode was the slow burn lead up to the battle where Brienne was knighted. The rest was sh!t. 

They could have ended it in the same way but just done it better. No clue why they had to do a shortened season when everything was so rushed. If they did it over two seasons at a regular pace, it may not have been so bad. 

I don’t know what anyone was talking about, the dark battle was fine, I was able to see what I needed to see. 

I’m in the minority that didn’t hate it. But it could’ve been done better. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

He did deal well with it though. He won an MVP, took the team to their first playoffs in years, tried to be a leader (asked for Jack’s locker to be put next to his, etc). The only thing I didn’t like was the hand to the ear thing, but whatever, it really wasn’t that big of a deal, and I quickly forgot about it. The only good memories I really have of this team in recent memory is pretty much thanks to Taylor Hall. I’d welcome him back. And he’d instantly be our best player again. 

I didn’t like the whole refusing to discuss a contract extension part. Understand it, but didn’t like it. 

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Battle nobody could see: real battles are chaotic, you're not supposed to see them very well.

Rushed character development:  what characters?  They've been there forever.

I grant you that everything after the destruction of King's Landing was kind of lame, but if the show had to end, there's not much you could do to make it much better.

So far as series endings go, it was far superior to Seinfeld (I'm not a Dexter fan, so can't opine on that one), probably on par with The Wire, but doesn't hold a candle to Breaking Bad.  It's constrained by what the show is about more than anything though.

Ofc battles are chaotic, but there’s a huge difference between chaos, and total darkness. The choice to shoot the battle with only natural light was a terrible one. It was hands down the worst large battle the show ever did.  

Completely disagree with the finale being on par with The Wire’s. (And I won’t even compare it to a comedy like Seinfeld) But then again I don’t think GoT was ever on the level of The Sopranos or The Wire. The best finale of all time is The Shield though. And it’s not even close.  

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He did deal well with it though. 

I didn't say he didn't, I just don't like the comparison. I have the tiniest violin in the world to play for athletes not getting to choose where they play. He was making millions of dollars to play in the tri-state area (not exactly hell on earth just yet) to play a game. Not exactly a tough situation. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

15 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Oh boo hoo. They get paid plenty well to deal with that, it's part of the gig. 

It did not seem like the fact that he got traded from a Canadian team had anything to do with whatever disappointment he had, but rather was being made the scapegoat for why the Oilers were a mess. 

From all accounts, he liked New Jersey and liked the organization, but he was going to take the pure business approach to contract negotiations, which is perfectly fine.  And at least he didn't string the team along like Tavares did with the Isles.  The thing that would have changed the calculus would have been if the Devils lived up to the expectations, in which there's a good chance he'd have signed an extension.

Whatever happened in the past is irrelevant when you consider that no one is in a better position to sign him than we are.  You're talking Red Wedding kind of death blow if the Devils could pull that off (while we're doing GOT references).

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

They could have ended it in the same way but just done it better. No clue why they had to do a shortened season when everything was so rushed. If they did it over two seasons at a regular pace, it may not have been so bad. 

I don’t know what anyone was talking about, the dark battle was fine, I was able to see what I needed to see. 

I’m in the minority that didn’t hate it. But it could’ve been done better. 

Go back and watch the battle at the Wall in S4. Which was also shot at night, but they used additional lighting, and you could you know...actually see what was going on.

And then later the other big episode they somehow managed to make a dragon destroying a city boring as hell. Quite a feat. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Ofc battles are chaotic, but there’s a huge difference between chaos, and total darkness. The choice to shoot the battle with only natural light was a terrible one. It was hands down the worst large battle the show ever did.  

Completely disagree with the finale being on par with The Wire’s. (And I won’t even compare it to a comedy like Seinfeld) But then again I don’t think GoT was ever on the level of The Sopranos or The Wire. The best finale of all time is The Shield though. And it’s not even close.  

Did not watch the Shield.  And forgot about the Sopranos, which was also unfairly maligned.  Breaking Bad was perfect, to the point that I watch the last episode every so often.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I didn't say he didn't, I just don't like the comparison. I have the tiniest violin in the world to play for athletes not getting to choose where they play. He was making millions of dollars to play in the tri-state area (not exactly hell on earth just yet) to play a game. Not exactly a tough situation. 

It'll be weird if he ends up signing with a Canadian team when you consider that Canadian based outlets called him a lockerroom cancer and made withdrawn accusations that he was a cokehead. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Did not watch the Shield.  And forgot about the Sopranos, which was also unfairly maligned.  Breaking Bad was perfect, to the point that I watch the last episode every so often.

I highly recommend The Shield. Especially since you like crime shows. Along with The Sopranos, it really was one of the OG dramas that paved the way for future shows to have that kind of antihero character as a lead. 

To add to the whole other convo I never watched game of thrones until it was all over and I binged watched the entire series but I actually enjoyed the ending. Maybe binge watching it had something to do with it though. 

I liked the Sopranos ending and the two shows that had absolutely perfect endings that will be hard to be topped for me are Breaking Bad and Six Feet Under. Dexter was by far the worst ending but that series really should have ended after season 4 to begin with. I haven't watched the shield yet but I like a lot of actors in it so it's on my to watch list. 

Sitcoms are so hard to have a perfect goodbye since they really aren't setup the same way. I thought Modern Family wrapped up nicely though. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Go back and watch the battle at the Wall in S4. Which was also shot at night, but they used additional lighting, and you could you know...actually see what was going on.

And then later the other big episode they somehow managed to make a dragon destroying a city boring as hell. Quite a feat. 

I’ve watched the entire series like 10 times. It was dark, no doubt about it. It could've been lighter. It was fine, it could’ve been great. 

People on the internet acted like someone ate their baby. I think some people live just to trash things on the internet. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

To add to the whole other convo I never watched game of thrones until it was all over and I binged watched the entire series but I actually enjoyed the ending. Maybe binge watching it had something to do with it though. 

I liked the Sopranos ending and the two shows that had absolutely perfect endings that will be hard to be topped for me are Breaking Bad and Six Feet Under. Dexter was by far the worst ending but that series really should have ended after season 4 to begin with. 

Sitcoms are so hard to have a perfect goodbye since they really aren't setup the same way. I thought Modern Family wrapped up nicely though. 

Six Feet Under is my 2nd favorite series finale of all time after The Shield. Those final minutes absolutely wrecked me. 

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I’ve watched the entire series like 10 times. It was dark, no doubt about it. It could've been lighter. It was fine, it could’ve been great. 

People on the internet acted like someone ate their baby. I think some people live just to trash things on the internet. 

Trust me that was not the case with me. I defended the show to book purists and haters for YEARS. But I really did hate the final season. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Six Feet Under is my 2nd favorite series finale of all time after The Shield. Those final minutes absolutely wrecked me. 

I've been meaning to watch it again since I haven't seen it since it aired, I feel like I'd like the show even more now than I already did. 

Been meaning to watch the Shield but just haven't gotten to it yet, I like a bunch of the actors in so it's been in my to watch list for awhiles. Same with the wire. Something else new always comes out and I end up watching that instead, the amount of content out there is insane lol

I just blew through upload on Amazon prime and currently am going through Brooklyn nine nine which I never watched before but is hilarious. 

There was "talk" that Hoffman wasn't an asset in the locker room? Don't know anything about Hoffman  & his girlfriends battle with Karlson, but probably he's past that. Where did stuff come up about Hall being a locker room problem. Are fans assuming he was? Unhappy?  

Last Sept when exhibition games were played, we as fans felt really good. This entire team sh>t the bed in so many ways. In Shero's defense, a player has got to WANT to stay. Hall is a top 6 fw on any team in NHL. I wouldn't be upset if he was signed here. IMO, that ship has sailed, but stranger things have happened. 

1 minute ago, vadvlfan said:

There was "talk" that Hoffman wasn't an asset in the locker room? Don't know anything about Hoffman  & his girlfriends battle with Karlson, but probably he's past that. Where did stuff come up about Hall being a locker room problem. Are fans assuming he was? Unhappy?  

Last Sept when exhibition games were played, we as fans felt really good. This entire team sh>t the bed in so many ways. In Shero's defense, a player has got to WANT to stay. Hall is a top 6 fw on any team in NHL. I wouldn't be upset if he was signed here. IMO, that ship has sailed, but stranger things have happened. 

So far as I know, the Hoffman stuff all goes back to his (or his fiance's) issues with Karlsson.  To my knowledge, the only people that mentioned anything about him being an issue were the wives of former Senaotrs players (I think Turris's wife was one of them).  Assuming everything checks out, I'd be fine sighing him.

But it's not all numbers.  I want excitement coupled with getting a great player.  Hall is better than Hoffman, and there's the added benefit of him coming back after potentially getting another franchise player for him in a rental deal. 

As I said, my big issue with Shero was that it came to the point that he had to trade Hall.  I will take it back if we find out there was some kind of understanding that he would consider signing with the Devils in the offseason and if that came to pass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

The Sopranos and Breaking Bad are my two favorite dramatic TV shows of all-time.... The Sopranos ending infuriated me, while Breaking Bad literally was the perfect ending. Quick story- I had the opportunity to meet and talk to David Chase a few years ago (signed my Sopranos book too, which was awesome). I asked him if Tony was dead.... he asked me what I thought. I said ‘I think he’s alive’. He replied, ‘then he’s alive’. He explained that he left it up to the audience to interpret, which I told him I wasn’t nuts about as a fan who had invested 8 years in the show, but I understood. I asked him if he would ever consider a Sopranos movie and he said he ‘wouldn’t rule it out’.... sadly, James Gandolfini passed away two months later. 😢 But he wasn’t kidding, because we’re getting The Many Saints of Newark, which is a Sopranos prequel movie.

Edited by MadDog2020

9 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

The Sopranos and Breaking Bad are my two favorite dramatic TV shows of all-time.... The Sopranos ending infuriated me, while Breaking Bad literally was the perfect ending. Quick story- I had the opportunity to meet and talk to David Chase a few years ago (signed my Sopranos book too, which was awesome). I asked him if Tony was dead.... he asked me what I thought. I said ‘I think he’s alive’. He replied, ‘then he’s alive’. He explained that he left it up to the audience to interpret, which I told him I wasn’t nuts about as a fan who had invested 8 years in the show, but I understood. I asked him if he would ever consider a Sopranos movie and he said he ‘wouldn’t rule it out’.... sadly, James Gandolfini passed away two months later. 😢 But he wasn’t kidding, because we’re getting The Many Saints of Newark, which is a Sopranos prequel movie.

The Many Saints of Newark should go down in history as the best title for a movie in the history of movies regardless of how good (or bad) the movie turns out to be.  In a way, I'm glad it got pushed to next year to make sure they do it right. 

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

For me it’s The Sopranos and The Wire. Pretty much 1 & 1A. I do love Breaking Bad as well though (definitely top 5 along with Deadwood and The Shield). 

As far as the ending of the Sopranos, I didn’t like it at first when I originally leaned towards it being ambiguous, but over the years I am much more in the camp that believes Tony was killed. There was just so met setup and foreshadowing for it. Between his talk with Bobby about “never hearing it coming” to the final season opening with all the crazy Egyptian stuff about death, etc. As David Chase has said “its all there.”

• Like 2

I can't even re-watch GOT because of how badly D&D fvcked up that final season.  I'll be watching and I'm like "oh hey look, another storyline that was abandoned and never resolved! Quaithe? Daario Naharis? Jaqen H'ghar? Meera Reed? The Warlocks of Quarth? Who's that? Maggie the witch prophecy? Who cares?! Wow, the White Walkers made these cool spiral symbols over and over, I wonder if we'll find out what they mean? NOPE. 7 seasons of Jon Snow being hinted at as Azor Ahai only for his true bloodline and claim to be absolutely pointless by the end of the series. Arya and Gendry awkwardly hooking up for absolutely NO reason and never to be talked about again, not to mention Gendry never asserting his pretty strong claim to the throne. The whole Cersei being pregnant storyline only for that not to matter either. Bran can warg into people but for some reason never used this power to prevent the destruction of Kings Landing, which apparently he LET happen, since he knows and sees all. The Dothraki being completely wiped out in the battle of Winterfell, only to show up in the battle for Kings Landing? fvck logic! Not to mention Jamie's ENTIRE CHARACTER ARC being destroyed within 2 episodes. D&D fvcking suck at writing. So many shoehorned plot points and abandoned storylines in the last 2 seasons. They should've just listened to George RR Martin and did a few more seasons instead of trying to rush it so they could go off and do their Star Wars project, which they wound up being fired from anyway after the final season bombed so badly LOL

just realized the site changes F-R-O-G to "French" lmao

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I can't even re-watch GOT because of how badly D&D fvcked up that final season.  I'll be watching and I'm like "oh hey look, another storyline that was abandoned and never resolved! Quaithe? Daario Naharis? Jaqen H'ghar? Meera Reed? The Warlocks of Quarth? Who's that? Maggie the french prophecy? Who cares?! Wow, the White Walkers made these cool spiral symbols over and over, I wonder if we'll find out what they mean? NOPE. 7 seasons of Jon Snow being hinted at as Azor Ahai only for his true bloodline and claim to be absolutely pointless by the end of the series. Arya and Gendry awkwardly hooking up for absolutely NO reason and never to be talked about again, not to mention Gendry never asserting his pretty strong claim to the throne. The whole Cersei being pregnant storyline only for that not to matter either. Bran can warg into people but for some reason never used this power to prevent the destruction of Kings Landing, which apparently he LET happen, since he knows and sees all. The Dothraki being completely wiped out in the battle of Winterfell, only to show up in the battle for Kings Landing? fvck logic! D&D fvcking suck at writing. So many shoehorned plot points and abandoned storylines in the last 2 seasons. They should've just listened to George RR Martin and did a few more seasons instead of trying to rush it so they could go off and do their Star Wars project, which they wound up being fired from anyway after the final season bombed so badly LOL

This one really bothered me. Jon’s story was connected to the WW the entire time, and the show even gave us an epic stare down between him and the NK, and yet Jon was essentially useless at the end of the day. Arya just swoops in with her ninja skills and kills him. I honestly thought it was even more anticlimactic than Snoke in TLJ. 

Dany’s heel-turn was also way too abrupt (part of the problem with the rushed shortened season). Yes, she was ruthless to her enemies from the beginning, but never to innocent women and children. She literally spent the majority of the story saving the oppressed. And the fact her BFF being killed drove her to such madness was not very consistent. This is a girl who lost her brother, baby, husband, Barristan, Jorah, one of her dragons, and yet still held it together, but she completely loses it over Missandei? That wasn’t handled well, and didn’t work for me  

Also, I HATE King Bran. If GRRM ever bothers to finish the books (lol yeah right) I’m going to hate it when he writes it, too. Hell, he’s like 10 in the books. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Daniel said:

JFC, the ending of GOT was perfectly fine.  Arguably, the last ten minutes was lame, but it was either that or (i) the White Walkers win; or (ii) we gazillion years of self righteous nonsense from Khaleesi. 

Holy sh!t I'm not going to reopen this wound by going into the details, but the ending of the series was absolutely not perfectly fine... Not even close.

This is your worst take yet.

Edit: Replying to an old post. Clearly need to come here more often like I used to.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Holy sh!t I'm not going to reopen this wound by going into the details, but the ending of the series was absolutely not perfectly fine... Not even close.

This is your worst take yet.

Edit: Replying to an old post. Clearly need to come here more often like I used to.

"Perfectly fine" is not a ringing endorsement. It more or less worked.  The last ten minutes were cringy, but alternative endings would have been unsatisfying too.  It was about on par with the ending of The Wire. 

16 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Trust me that was not the case with me. I defended the show to book purists and haters for YEARS. But I really did hate the final season. 

I wasn’t directing that toward you, rather toward the general outrage culture we currently live in. 

It clearly wasn’t as good as the rest of the show’s run. But I’d rather watch the last season of GOT than a lot of other shows.

I’m halfway through season 2 on my latest re-watch. I did a full re-watch of each prior season every time a new one was coming, plus 2-3 times where I just felt like it. 

Probably my favorite show ever. 

Korean "Kingdom" work better than GoT, but its only one better  tv show than GoT. Other than that we have nothing in fantasy tv shows. I`m ok with khalisi mind ending because she was going for that,  but snow`s, bran`s and arya`s endings are more about bad big plot twist than real character development. And they turn around all what martin did with jamie`story arch and it doesn`t work for big picture of that story.

Edited by Guadana