2020 New York J-E-T-S thread

NJDevs4978

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I think you’ll see a huge letdown next week now that they’re off the schneid, especially against a team that needs the game.  Week 17, who the hell knows how either team comes out by then.

I think the Pats had a pulse for a little while at 6-6, but the QB is terrible and the Rams loss was really the final nail, more than the Dolphins loss...they played so badly against the Rams that I think reality set in hard.  I think the Bills win big this week, and then the Jets and Pats game has a chance to be oddly entertaining and somewhat back and forth...think a 28-24 type game, both teams just kinda letting it all out.  I could see Cam finishing up on a high note...as long as he's not back next season, he can throw for 400 meaningless yards in that game for all that I care.  But that guy cannot be anywhere near the Patriots in 2021.  He's awful. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

6 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

This should be hilarious today. 🤣

It really wasn't all that long tbh, and nothing unexpected either.  I think Benigno just wanted to get back on the golf course lol

Incidentally, Evan did bring up Carson Wentz in passing during his rants last night and today.  I'm not sure how I'd feel about that tbh.  To me it's almost like bringing in a more accomplished version of Darnold - talented with flashes of elite play but gets in his own head too much.  I do think Wentz is salvageable in the right situation outside of the specter of being the guy in Philly who was on crutches when the career journeyman won a SB, I'm just not sure NY is it. 

Only reason I think it has a non-zero chance of happening is Douglas went to work in Philly right when Wentz was starting out and presumably knows him well.  Of course if some of the headcase stuff is true, it might keep him away from Wentz.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I wouldn't want any part of Wentz...never liked entitled guys who aren't playing well, but seem to think they get to hang on to a starting gig no matter what.  If I'm the Jets, I'd rather see what Darnold might do for a non-retarded coach, over bringing Wentz in.

23 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The tone is gonna be...interesting. Carton was unabashedly pro lose, Even was pro lose but with a cringe (like me) and Joe was actually pro win.

Evan on his podcast last night you could tell was ready to go on a full Joe B rant lol

I didn't hear it but I wonder if Joe B took the angle that he just doesn't want that historic 0-16 label hung on him. It lasts forever. You'll be forever known as an 0-16 franchise and join the annals of the Lions, Browns, and the o-fer teams during the shorter NFL seasons. A sordid list

7 minutes ago, '7' said:

I didn't hear it but I wonder if Joe B took the angle that he just doesn't want that historic 0-16 label hung on him. It lasts forever. You'll be forever known as an 0-16 franchise and join the annals of the Lions, Browns, and the o-fer teams during the shorter NFL seasons. A sordid list

Good call, that was definitely one of his points 

Oh FFS what's the point NOW after you've subjected us to fifteen weeks of Gase?!  And why would tomorrow's result matter since we're one of the two worst teams in the league no matter what happens the last two weeks

Edited by NJDevs4978

Not like the Jets have found a way to beat other slouches either...they’ve beaten a couple of solid teams.

I can see them beating the Pats too.

But that should NOT be enough to save Gase’s job, no way.

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not like the Jets have found a way to beat other slouches either...they’ve beaten a couple of solid teams.

I can see them beating the Pats too.

But that should NOT be enough to save Gase’s job, no way.

Maybe it shouldn't but that whole 'he's gotta win this week to save his job' leak nonsense worries me.  It's as if Chris is praying we win three in a row at the end of the season so he'll feel justified in keeping Gase.  This is kinda like the season Mangini had in Cleveland where they started 1-11 then won four in a row and got him extended :P

And as much as I loathe the head coach I really thought the Jets would have the mother of all letdowns after finally scaling the 0 mountain, but they came out like they still didn't have any wins this week.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Never in my life (and maybe this is a first time in NFL history occurence) have I seen an 0-10+ (0 and double digitis) team turn around and beat +500 teams in CONSECUTIVE) weeks. It's bizarre. Makes no sense, and totally crushed any hope we had for landing a generational talent. Maybe they're not quite as bad as we thought, but these wins really don't do us any good at this point

20 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Maybe it shouldn't but that whole 'he's gotta win this week to save his job' leak nonsense worries me.  It's as if Chris is praying we win three in a row at the end of the season so he'll feel justified in keeping Gase.  This is kinda like the season Mangini had in Cleveland where they started 1-11 then won four in a row and got him extended :P

And as much as I loathe the head coach I really thought the Jets would have the mother of all letdowns after finally scaling the 0 mountain, but they came out like they still didn't have any wins this week.

22AB5CE9-06C3-4102-8AE8-FCFC2DD64930.gif

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So apparently Gase is gone or at least dead man walking.  I don't know how much to trust Craig Cartoon but I guess he's got sources :P

Can't be untrue. After this embarrassing 13 game nightmare, the lack of leadership, preparation etc...he can't be brought back. There's just nothing with him to believe in or build off of.

Would love Urban Meyer here, but I just don't see the Jets landing someone like that.

Yeah I've been more in the camp of stay away from Fields, look more at the BYU kid if you're gonna take an early QB but he at least stepped up and showed why people had him rated second.  More than anything I was just glad Dabo ate it last night after he's been a first-class dick all season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

More than anything I was just glad Dabo ate it last night after he's been a first-class dick all season.

This. fvck Dabo. Dabo said he had Ohio State ranked 11th in his coaches poll. I wonder where he has them ranked now..... 🤣 

Edited by MadDog2020

I don't really get into '2021 schedule' watching at this point, but I couldn't help but notice hosting Jacksonville is gonna be lol-worthy, the first of many chances to see Trevor Lawrence in a Jag uniform against whatever we wind up with :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

Jets have requested Matt Eberflus, Arthur Smith, Eric Bieniemy, and Brian Daboll to interview so far. I think any one of them would be an big upgrade over Gase. But a big upgrade over Gase could still end up being middling. I guess out of all of them...Arthur Smith is who I'd want with Daboll a close second. 

https://nypost.com/2021/01/04/jets-coaching-tracker-who-theyre-interviewing-for-head-coach/

Also apparently Harbaugh's interest in the job is holding up his Michigan extension. But it's unclear if the Jets still have interest in him