2020 New York J-E-T-S thread

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And it worked, at least as far as the dopey media and some fans are concerned.  'Gee golly it's proof he wasn't tanking, he lost his job!', I could pay Williams' salary if I had a nickel for every tim

Per Manish Mehta the Jets are close to signing Logan Ryan. It makes perfect sense, scheme fit is perfect. If Desir pans out and Bless Austin continues to improve we may actually get somewhat decent CB

The whole game in general has been a 3 ring circus. This whole experience is a shining example of what's wrong with football in 2020

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Oh my

Idiot, yes we're trying to lose all of our games, but don't make it THAT fvcking obvious...

He had one month left anyway.  But I get doing it...at least the Jets appear to be angry about the loss (even though I can't imagine that they are).  

• Like 1

He did the same vs NE too. Though it wasn't too overt

This just looked bad. Too obvious. And the players were super pissed. The Jets are happy with what Williams did, but the NFL is majorly pissed.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Idiot, yes we're trying to lose all of our games, but don't make it THAT fvcking obvious...

He had one month left anyway.  But I get doing it...at least the Jets appear to be angry about the loss (even though I can't imagine that they are).  

The players definitely are (Maye especially) but all Williams was doing was exactly what the Jets General Manager and Owner want. However this was so obvious that the Jets have to fire him in order to give the appearance that they're upset over what he did. They're just trying to deal with the fallout

• Like 1

It could also be Williams went rogue TO get fired and not have to waste another month on this mess. But yeah I think this is just the Jets trying to cover their own ass after the eviscerating they’ve gotten the last 24 hours. Even Rex Ryan who never met a blitz he didn’t run called it the dumbest call he’s seen in 30 years of coaching.

Edited by NJDevs4978
3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It could also be Williams went rogue TO get fired and not have to waste another month on this mess. But yeah I think this is just the Jets trying to cover their own ass after the eviscerating they’ve gotten the last 24 hours. Even Rex Ryan who never met a blitz he didn’t run called it the dumbest call he’s seen in 30 years of coaching.

And they did it multiple times too. That's what makes it look extra terrible and a mess for the league. Wasn't just one playcall. The play before they should've scored so the Jets let them do it again.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

That previous play is what raised my eyebrow too. Without the next play I might have just thought someone missed an assignment on that one. But once the next play happened on top of it, that was no accident.

It wouldn't surprise me if Williams' firing was not only amicable as could be behind the scenes, but if management actually thanked him for contributing to the tank (but still saying "You could've made it less obvious...people are on to us now, even if some people insist it was just a bad play call.  Now we gotta make it look like we're furious...but you know that we're not in the slightest, except for you being a little too blatant in what you were trying to do.")  

45 minutes ago, '7' said:

The players definitely are (Maye especially) but all Williams was doing was exactly what the Jets General Manager and Owner want. However this was so obvious that the Jets have to fire him in order to give the appearance that they're upset over what he did. They're just trying to deal with the fallout

What makes tanking hard is that even if management (and a coaching staff) are open to it, players often aren't...even the ones who are brought in to be obvious downgrades to better players who are injured or are dealt away for "down the line" pieces that won't help the club in the present.  The players stuck on the team are still fighting for jobs, either for their future with their current team or elsewhere.  It's not like many of those players will get to stick around for Lawrence's prime years.  Many of them won't gain a thing by assisting in a tank.

I'm sure Maye is not alone...especially since he probably knows the deal...that even when he and his teammates are giving their best and have a chance to win a close game, their own coaches (who of course are supposed to have their backs) aren't going to support them.  Even with jobs on the line, I've gotta think a lot of those guys have to feel completely beaten down now...and even if it's detrimental, may just quit and barely go through the motion from here on out.  Mission accomplished for the franchise...but man is that locker room going to be an angry place for the next month.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
1 hour ago, '7' said:

He did the same vs NE too. Though it wasn't too overt

This just looked bad. Too obvious. And the players were super pissed. The Jets are happy with what Williams did, but the NFL is majorly pissed.

The players didn’t have to run the call. They could’ve said ‘fvck it, this dude is batsh!t to call an all-out blitz’ and just rushed three, like anyone with either a brain consisting of more than five active cells, or not blatantly tanking, would have. But the players complied. Sometimes it’s okay to not do what you’re told, if what you’re being told is legit insanity.

Edited by MadDog2020
37 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Btw, I had to hear the talking heads disparage the Dolphins all year last season and call for investigations into our ‘tanking’. So, after yesterday, when is the league gonna begin investigating the Jets? 

And what's funny is that even the best-designed "blow it up as much as possible for the future" tanks are still not as easy to pull off as it should seem...the Dolphins wound up winning 5 out of their last 9 games last season, including a game against the Pats that the Pats absolutely HAD to have.  After getting destroyed in their first four games (outscored by 136 points), the Dolphins were a much more competitive team the rest of the way (even though they fell to 0-7, they did not lose any of their remaining games by more than 17 points, and were -51 in point differential over their final 12 games in going 5-7). 

A funny thing sometimes happens when guys start to feel just a little confidence, and get a couple of wins...or fully buy in to what their coach is telling them.  Miami chose not to get in the way of that, and let the pieces fall where they may (and still got their QB anyway).  For reasons we may never be let in on, Gregg Williams (and likely others) willingly sabotaged what should have been a win.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

ng 5-7). 

A funny thing sometimes happens when guys start to feel just a little confidence, and get a couple of wins...or fully buy in to what their coach is telling them.  Miami chose not to get in the way of that, and let the pieces fall where they may (and still got their QB anyway).  For reasons we may never be let in on, Gregg Williams (and likely others) willingly sabotaged what should have been a win.  

Well I’ll say it then- the Jets should be investigated for that sh!t yesterday. That was flat-out losing on purpose. You can’t convince me otherwise with calling a fvcking jailbreak blitz in that scenario. It’s obvious what that was. The Jets may have fired Williams, but that was just to make it look like the franchise is ‘upset’ at what happened. They aren’t. They’re giddy. I hope Lawrence stays in school or pulls an Eli, but he won’t. The Jets will be rewarded for what they did yesterday. Maybe a lottery will finally be introduced to the NFL as a result of this, but they are making sure they do whatever is necessary to draft Lawrence. And if they do, hopefully they ruin him like they ruin everything else they touch. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Well I’ll say it then- the Jets should be investigated for that sh!t yesterday. That was flat-out losing on purpose. You can’t convince me otherwise with calling a fvcking jailbreak blitz in that scenario. It’s obvious what that was. The Jets may have fired Williams, but that was just to make it look like the franchise is ‘upset’ at what happened. 

And it worked, at least as far as the dopey media and some fans are concerned.  'Gee golly it's proof he wasn't tanking, he lost his job!', I could pay Williams' salary if I had a nickel for every time I've heard that the last six hours.  Well no sh!t he lost his job, the whole fvcking staff is going to be replaced after the year anyway, and the Jets were eviscerated for eighteen hours straight from within and without.  If anything Williams is getting off easy with a paid month leave instead of wasting it on this sh!t. 

Ironically that's the best non-tank argument you can make for the call, that Williams was either trying to look good having a big play sack/turnover to seal up the first win or was fine with sabotaging himself if it didn't work cause he wanted an early exit from the season, like a manager who gets thrown out of a 9-0 game.

It did look like the Dolphins' upper management was tanking - especially with the Minkah trade - but to their credit, like CR said they didn't put the finger on the scales of the staff trying to win.  The Jets did the same thing this offseason and early in the season (cutting Bell for example) only it didn't get as much attention because other than Jamal who did his best to grease the skids for his own departure, they didn't have a lot of value to give up in trades, and Joe Douglas was getting all indignant before the season over people who whined that the Jets were punting on the season. 

But yeah this smacks of going a step further and bringing that mentality to the coaching staff, and as annoyed as I am with this team and was rooting for the loss this is just disgusting the way it came about, I hope it does result in a lottery cause I never want another season like this again.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2
19 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And it worked, at least as far as the dopey media and some fans are concerned.  'Gee golly it's proof he wasn't tanking, he lost his job!', I could pay Williams' salary if I had a nickel for every time I've heard that the last six hours.  Well no sh!t he lost his job, the whole fvcking staff is going to be replaced after the year anyway, and the Jets were eviscerated for eighteen hours straight from within and without.  If anything Williams is getting off easy with a paid month leave instead of wasting it on this sh!t. 

Ironically that's the best non-tank argument you can make for the call, that Williams was either trying to look good having a big play sack/turnover to seal up the first win or was fine with sabotaging himself if it didn't work cause he wanted an early exit from the season, like a manager who gets thrown out of a 9-0 game.

It did look like the Dolphins' upper management was tanking - especially with the Minkah trade - but to their credit, like CR said they didn't put the finger on the scales of the staff trying to win.  The Jets did the same thing this offseason and early in the season (cutting Bell for example) only it didn't get as much attention because other than Jamal who did his best to grease the skids for his own departure, they didn't have a lot of value to give up in trades, and Joe Douglas was getting all indignant before the season over people who whined that the Jets were punting on the season. 

But yeah this smacks of going a step further and bringing that mentality to the coaching staff, and as annoyed as I am with this team and was rooting for the loss this is just disgusting the way it came about, I hope it does result in a lottery cause I never want another season like this again.

The bolded is actually pretty funny...Williams didn't even really get punished...he basically was rewarded with a paid vacation.  So he doesn't have to pretend to give a damn for the next month when he knew he was a dead man walking...he gets an early parachute.  The whole Gase-Williams forced marriage was a disaster waiting to happen anyway.    

Your comment about the Dolphins reiterates my point, in that even when you're setting up your team to lose as much as possible, it doesn't always go according to plan...sometimes, it really can be a little like the movie Major League come to life...you sell off key assets for future pieces that won't impact or help the current squad, but even then, other guys get better or step up (sometimes out of nowhere), the coach doesn't lose his team and suddenly that team finds itself able to win some games...at 0-4 and outscored by 136 points, did ANYONE think the Dolphins had five wins in them...including one against the PATRIOTS?!  And really, the right thing to do is not to try to squash that from above...last thing anyone wants to see is 3-4 teams jockeying to see who can get the highest pick.  

But yeah, the case for a lottery in the NFL has been made as clearly as it can be with the Jets debacle.  When outright tanking becomes THAT blatant...there just aren't any more words...

If the Jets blow the tank now well Darnold BETTER fvcking light it up the last two weeks as well, so we at least can have trade bait in the #2 pick for someone that wants Fields.  If Darnold sucks the next two weeks we're probably the ones that wind up taking another bust Ohio State QB padding stats in a bad conference.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Welp welcome to Jacksonville Trevor, the dream was nice at least.

Honestly I'm a little happy for Gore after he was basically in tears a few weeks ago, saying it might be his last year and not wanting to go out 0-16.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Where do I even begin with this. It seemed like a total impossibility...yet they somehow came out and beat the Rams and threw away Trevor Lawrence forever.  

It's nice to not have that 0-16 stigma...but I would rather swallow that pill if it means Trevor Lawrence for 15+ years playing at an elite level. And yet somehow they defy all odds and beat the Rams

They played well, they played hard, but this is the most pyrrhic victory in Jets history.

Maybe just maybe there will be another twist a fate that leads to us landing him...but if not let's just trade the pick.

I hope maybe the Lawrence camp is maneuvering behind the scenes...trying to force himself out of Jax's hands in into NY. He is a southern kid. But when it comes to exposure and endorsements, NY is the place.

The Jets really fvcked things up

Edited by '7'

Thing is, all these insiders rave about Joe Douglas (and most of them rave about Darnold too), well now we're gonna find out how great Joe Douglas is.  Either he finds a franchise QB without being gifted a generational talent, or he finds a coach that can make Darnold into one.

By the same token I'm not 100% convinced the #1 pick 'race' is over yet though, the Jags could beat the Bears tbh.  They won't beat the Colts again unless they pull a 2009 and just rest everyone being locked into a playoff slot the last week of the season.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yet another reminder that players are not into tanking.  All management can do is try to build a team bad enough to lose a lot of games from the outset (as the Dolphins did last year), or see where the season's going and decide to embrace a bad team playing badly, without trying to shake things up too much (as this year's Jets did, especially by keeping Gase around, even though they fired their DC in an obvious PR move).

In the end though, the players really do often give a fvck...maybe not to a man, depending on the situation, but it's clear that this win meant a hell of a lot to some of those players.  And that losing to the Raiders the way that they did pissed a lot of them off.  It actually won't surprise me that much if the Jets beat the Pats in their last game...I think the Pats are going to be dead men walking the next couple of weeks.  

52 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This should be hilarious today. 🤣

The tone is gonna be...interesting. Carton was unabashedly pro lose, Even was pro lose but with a cringe (like me) and Joe was actually pro win.

Evan on his podcast last night you could tell was ready to go on a full Joe B rant lol

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yet another reminder that players are not into tanking.  All management can do is try to build a team bad enough to lose a lot of games from the outset (as the Dolphins did last year), or see where the season's going and decide to embrace a bad team playing badly, without trying to shake things up too much (as this year's Jets did, especially by keeping Gase around, even though they fired their DC in an obvious PR move).

In the end though, the players really do often give a fvck...maybe not to a man, depending on the situation, but it's clear that this win meant a hell of a lot to some of those players.  And that losing to the Raiders the way that they did pissed a lot of them off.  It actually won't surprise me that much if the Jets beat the Pats in their last game...I think the Pats are going to be dead men walking the next couple of weeks.  

I think you’ll see a huge letdown next week now that they’re off the schneid, especially against a team that needs the game.  Week 17, who the hell knows how either team comes out by then.