2020 New York J-E-T-S thread

NJDevs4978

Here comes the speculation 

I’m not entirely against it, but I’d need to know the answers to two things first:

-What happened in the last quarter of the season with putting in Sudfeld and who was responsible?
-What happened with Wentz this season and how are you going to prevent that with Darnold or whoever the next QB is?

Edited by NJDevs4978

This almost feels pre-ordained at this point.  Pederson NOT becoming the next HC of the NYJ will be the shocker to me.

On 1/11/2021 at 3:24 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This almost feels pre-ordained at this point.  Pederson NOT becoming the next HC of the NYJ will be the shocker to me.

It actually looks like they're hot for the 49ers D-coordinator (Saleh), they've brought him back for a 2nd interview and speculation is they probably want to make a move before other teams like Philly can interview him.

They did interview like ten guys plus Douglas hardly needs to interview Pederson if he wanted to hire him.  If this is his choice well let's go, Joe's on the clock this offseason with a tenure-deciding coach and QB choice.

I'm surprisingly okay with this, I know he's a defensive coach but he has the obvious connection to Shanahan so he'll probably hire one of those coaches for his OC.  Plus it seems like we actually got a first choice this time as opposed to always settling for second choices (Coslet when Holmgren spurned us, Bowles was a second choice as well).

And sure enough

Edited by NJDevs4978

Great hire for the Jets...and one that fans can clearly get behind.  Absolutely would not have been the case if they had chosen Pederson (even with his ring). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Great hire for the Jets...and one that fans can clearly get behind.  Absolutely would not have been the case if they had chosen Pederson (even with his ring). 

Its now Joe Douglas's team, he got his guy. Lafluer coming along is great news. Im happy

And if it doesn't work out in 5 years we get to say saleh-vee. 😄

Edited by EdgeControl
  • Like 1

I'm happy with this. Most people are. He's been lauded as the NFL's best coordinator, the next great coach, players love playing for him. The media is finally not treating us like a punchline (which is nice for a change) but of late it's kind of gone overboard. I've seen many Saleh types fall flat on their face. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he does too.

Still it is refreshing to see some energy and vigor back on the sidelines

18 hours ago, '7' said:

I'm happy with this. Most people are. He's been lauded as the NFL's best coordinator, the next great coach, players love playing for him. The media is finally not treating us like a punchline (which is nice for a change) but of late it's kind of gone overboard. I've seen many Saleh types fall flat on their face. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he does too.

Still it is refreshing to see some energy and vigor back on the sidelines

We got a top candidate , not left at the alter like so many times before.. And Douglas is calling the shots.. Not the idiot brothers

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Not a big surprise but Woody's officially the control person again

Eh.  Better than Chris but really it's like going from a D+ owner to a C owner. Woody isn't so bad when he doesn't meddle too much and we have the right football people in place. Not like we haven't gone through some good stretches with him as owner and did get to the precipice of a Super Bowl twice

With Saleh I think he'll hang back at the start and just defer to Douglas and Saleh. We've finally implemented a sound organizational structure

Watson/Stafford will also be a test. Will Woody push to get one of these guys in here? He does like those splashy moves.

• 1 month later...

Missing out on both Thuney and Linsley is a joke. This is where you spend the money. You have the 2nd highest cap space in the league. FOR WHAT? I understand build through the draft and all but it's ok every so often to overpay for absolute top level offensive line talent

Pathetic job by Douglas

Ok I like the Lawson signing. Sack numbers don't jump off the page at you but he's a true pass rusher. Next to TJ Watt...nobody gets to the QB more than Lawson

Cory Davis is a good pickup. Solid, not elite or anything but big, strong, can win contested balls. Not a #1 but will be one with us. Should be a 70 catch 1000 yard guy if he plays in all 16 next year.

Jets sign Keelan Cole. 1 year, 5 million. Which means the end of Perriman. Not sure what it does to the JuJu pursuit...it's only 5 mil.

They could be thinking of signing Cole and Juju and then trading Crowder?

Frankly I would really like to see Davis/Schuster/Crowder/Cole. That is very good top 4

On 3/15/2021 at 9:29 PM, '7' said:

Ok I like the Lawson signing. Sack numbers don't jump off the page at you but he's a true pass rusher. Next to TJ Watt...nobody gets to the QB more than Lawson

Cory Davis is a good pickup. Solid, not elite or anything but big, strong, can win contested balls. Not a #1 but will be one with us. Should be a 70 catch 1000 yard guy if he plays in all 16 next year.

It almost seems to me like they're trying to make up for the Leonard Williams thing blowing up on them with the Lawson signing.  Williams was an advanced stat darling with zero production here, then he goes to the Giants for an organization that can actually develop people and he blows up.  So now we're trying to get a guy at a similar point in his career as Williams now and attempting a doover.  

16 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It almost seems to me like they're trying to make up for the Leonard Williams thing blowing up on them with the Lawson signing.  Williams was an advanced stat darling with zero production here, then he goes to the Giants for an organization that can actually develop people and he blows up.  So now we're trying to get a guy at a similar point in his career as Williams now and attempting a doover.  

To me he was still such a low impact type player...and honestly I haven't seen much from him in watching him with the Giants to view him him as a big difference maker. He always disappears in big situations. I don't trust him in the future to have a consistent motor.

He had good stats last year, for a 6 win team that was lucky to even get to 6 wins. When offenses tried to neutralize him during his Jets days, they usually succeeded. I think that will be the case once again with the Giants next year. Would not feel comfortable shellingn out that kind of coin for him (bad memories with Mo Wilk)

With Lawson I think we're looking at one of those freak athlete types who can disrupt things more than Williams. But yea...remains to be seen if he can get to those 12+ sack numbers. But we do have someone now who on 3rd downs can cause some consistent chaos

Edited by '7'

Jets get Tevin Coleman...who Gase originally wanted over Bell (and was overruled by Mac in a disastrous decision)

https://nypost.com/2021/03/24/jets-signing-tevin-coleman-in-nfl-free-agency/

Vinny Curry as well

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-add-former-eagle-vinny-curry-to-their-defensive-line

Two solid pros. Curry I see maybe as a Steve McLendon type impact guy. Can still play a bit but also a strong locker room leader

This Miami trade pretty much signals the Jets are taking a QB (and probably Wilson) at 2 since if there was any possibility the Jets used the pick to move down they would have been negotiating with the Niners too.  And they sure as sh!t aren't staying at 2 and turning down three first rounders plus to trade down to take a non-QB.

13 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

This Miami trade pretty much signals the Jets are taking a QB (and probably Wilson) at 2 since if there was any possibility the Jets used the pick to move down they would have been negotiating with the Niners too.  And they sure as sh!t aren't staying at 2 and turning down three first rounders plus to trade down to take a non-QB.

You guys are definitely taking Wilson. I saw a tweet yesterday from one of the draft guys that said a scout who was at Wilson’s pro day said ‘draft starts at three.’

• 2 weeks later...

Damn...not a terrible return.  If anything, it shows that a 2nd rounder alone for Jimmy G probably won't get it done, should the Pats try to make that happen later (though the circumstances aren't quite the same of course...Jimmy G has a boatload of money coming to them).  

Posted (edited)

The best part about the 2 is it's a 2022 2, all things considered.  Normally you want the 2 earlier but with all the questions in this year's draft I'd probably prefer the higher picks (2 and 4) then.

Edited by NJDevs4978