Devils talked with Gallant

Nicomo

Per Pierre LeBrun from The Athletic. They apparently had a virtual chat with him last week. Sounds like Fitz has spoken with several other candidates as well, and that Nas is also a “legitimate candidate.” 

Gallant is probably my first choice, with Laviolette being a close second. This is encouraging news. Particularly that they’re letting Fitz get to work on the search, and maybe even pull the trigger on a coach himself, which bodes well for the interim tag coming off of his title. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 6

49 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Per Pierre LeBrun from The Athletic. They apparently had a virtual chat with him last week. Sounds like Fitz has spoken with several other candidates as well, and that Nas is also a “legitimate candidate.” 

Gallant is probably my first choice, with Laviolette being a close second. This is encouraging news. Particularly that they’re letting Fitz get to work on the search, and maybe even pull the trigger on a coach himself, which bodes well for the interim tag coming off of his title. 

I hope he gets this right. As far as recycled coaches are concerned, I hope Bruce Boudreau is in the mix. I wonder if the "issues' Jim Montgomery had as too fresh to even be considered. He did a lot for Dallas. I don't think he should experiment w/ College coach w/ no NHL experience.  

Hockey news right on.! 

I’d prefer not to go with Boudreau, myself. Yeah, he’s a good coach, and he has proven he can consistently take teams to the playoffs, but he’s not the guy that’s going to win a Cup. Or even make much noise in the playoffs. If Gallant and PL weren’t out there, I’d be more interested. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

I hope he gets this right. As far as recycled coaches are concerned, I hope Bruce Boudreau is in the mix. I wonder if the "issues' Jim Montgomery had as too fresh to even be considered. He did a lot for Dallas. I don't think he should experiment w/ College coach w/ no NHL experience.  

Hockey news right on.! 

Monty is in rehab for alcoholism, right? Might be too soon but hey, I’m up to giving him a chance.

still want Galant above all else. He knows how to get the best out of misfits. What better underperforming team with tons of potential?

absolutely no to Nas though 

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

08CEF9C3-66BB-46D7-AD26-1F5D2A2018FB.gif

• Like 3

19 hours ago, jagknife said:

Monty is in rehab for alcoholism, right? Might be too soon but hey, I’m up to giving him a chance.

still want Galant above all else. He knows how to get the best out of misfits. What better underperforming team with tons of potential?

absolutely no to Nas though 

That pretty much sums it up for me.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 8:13 PM, Nicomo said:

I’d prefer not to go with Boudreau, myself. Yeah, he’s a good coach, and he has proven he can consistently take teams to the playoffs, but he’s not the guy that’s going to win a Cup. Or even make much noise in the playoffs. If Gallant and PL weren’t out there, I’d be more interested. 

To be fair, that tag is on every coach until they win it. Trotz could never get his teams over the hump either until he did. 

That being said, I'd prefer Gallant, Lav, or Montgomery depending on where he is with everything

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

To be fair, that tag is on every coach until they win it. Trotz could never get his teams over the hump either until he did. 

True, but Boudreau also had some really talented teams to work with. I’ll cut Trotz a lot more slack for not winning in Nashville than Boudreau always coming up short with teams that had Ovi, Backstrom, Getzlaf, Perry, etc. Trotz had Kariya for a couple seasons, but other than that did he ever really have the players before he got to Washington? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

“He always makes the playoffs” seems like it might be a good coach for us right about now. Better than “they’re the laughing stock of the Metro Division”. 

Again, I’d agree if he was the only good candidate out there. He’s not. Gallant and Lav have 4 trips to the finals between them. 

13 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Again, I’d agree if he was the only good candidate out there. He’s not. Gallant and Lav have 4 trips to the finals between them. 

I definitely agree with the logic that if Boudreau was the only candidate, I might roll the dice on him. Because if its between Nas and him to get us to a "cup" (strictly in terms of odds), I take Bruce any day, but as you said, there are better options available so why even take the risk? If Gallant is willing to take the reigns, that's not a bad option right now. I was high on getting Gallant as soon as he was nixed. I wouldn't mind Lav either. Either way, a new coach doesn't make us a contender. We have a lot of work to do and it just seems like no one can put their finger on exactly which direction management will take us, not to mention the uncertainty regarding draft/playoff procedure in the Covid-19 era. Lots of things are up in the air this whole situation isn't helping.

8 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I definitely agree with the logic that if Boudreau was the only candidate, I might roll the dice on him. Because if its between Nas and him to get us to a "cup" (strictly in terms of odds), I take Bruce any day, but as you said, there are better options available so why even take the risk? If Gallant is willing to take the reigns, that's not a bad option right now. I was high on getting Gallant as soon as he was nixed. I wouldn't mind Lav either. Either way, a new coach doesn't make us a contender. We have a lot of work to do and it just seems like no one can put their finger on exactly which direction management will take us, not to mention the uncertainty regarding draft/playoff procedure in the Covid-19 era. Lots of things are up in the air this whole situation isn't helping.

I’d say yes to Boudreau in a heartbeat if it came down to picking between him or Nas.

hell, I’d take him over the nut job Babcock too.

Should he get an interview? Absolutely. But he shouldn’t be in our top 3 wants. (Gallant, Lavi, Monty*). Hell, I’d take that random European coach whose name escapes me that a lot of people (not necessarily here) had a huge one on for a few months ago

i do think a coach who knows how to actually manage his assets will make us a playoff team. I mean look how terrible Hynes has been with Nashville. fvck my fantasy team which was rolling thanks to the Preds tanked cause DBA decided using Babcock’s “roll all lines equally” approach was a godsend. You get us a coach who can manage the island of misfit toys that we’ve become, add a piece or two during free agency and get a top 4 defender, we’re playoff bound. Granted we need Mac to be what he has absolutely shown he is more than capable of being and not have the career Casa Bonita cliff dive-esq of Cory and we’ll be fine. 

* - if he’s ready for another shot.

Edited by jagknife

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

And the players currently on our team have either zero or one trip to the playoffs as Devils, except Zajac. 

I’m not saying either of those guys is the best guy available, but to be frank, I’m not sure the best guy available is going to want to coach a dumpster fire. We may need to adjust our expectations a bit.

Our current coach is a disaster that learned under another disaster, I’m not sure the “best guy available” is the only upgrade I would consider. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

And the players currently on our team have either zero or one trip to the playoffs as Devils, except Zajac. 

I’m not saying either of those guys is the best guy available, but to be frank, I’m not sure the best guy available is going to want to coach a dumpster fire. We may need to adjust our expectations a bit.

Our current coach is a disaster that learned under another disaster, I’m not sure the “best guy available” is the only upgrade I would consider. 

Gallant wouldn’t have taken the interview if he wasn’t interested.

I don’t really think the Devils are that unattractive of a landing spot for a coach either. You have what looks to be a young stud goaltender, plus Nico & Jack. There’s more help on the way with a decent prospect pool, particularly Ty and Foote. And 3 more 1st round picks this year. Certainly not a win now situation, but some nice pieces. Plenty of money to spend, too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t really think the Devils are that unattractive of a landing spot for a coach either. You have what looks to be a young stud goaltender, plus Nico & Jack. There’s more help on the way with a decent prospect pool, particularly Ty and Foote. And 3 more 1st round picks this year. Certainly not a win now situation, but some nice pieces. Plenty of money to spend, too. 

“Plenty of money to spend” has never helped us and it’s been true for years. Just saying. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

“Plenty of money to spend” has never helped us and it’s been true for years. Just saying. 

It helped us land Subban. And despite his decline you still do that trade 10/10. Especially with our defense.

We were able to pay Gusev, as well. 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

It helped us land Subban. And despite his decline you still do that trade 10/10. Especially with our defense.

We were able to pay Gusev, as well. 

If that’s what you consider “helping us”, ok. Dead last in the division. 

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Ok so having all of that money to spend helped them not be in last place in the league. Fair enough. 

Weaponizing at its finest I guess.  Between Simmonds and PK  I would say the money they did spend was certainly not spent wisely by any measure.