Devils talked with Gallant

Nicomo

7 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Weaponizing at its finest I guess.  Between Simmonds and PK  I would say the money they did spend was certainly not spent wisely by any measure. 

Simmonds was a gamble that he could find his game again, but NOBODY expected Subban’s play to drop off so much. Hindsight is always 20/20 though...

not worth really arguing or even debating honestly we just have always disagreed on PK. His decline was pretty apparent to some.  Anyway going forward if they spend whatever money they're going to spend to move the needle forward in a meaningful way that would be great. I wouldn't consider not being out of it by the end of November meaningful but that's just me, yet that would be progress but at this stage in my fandom hardly even enough though. The losing has gotten old. Stay safe all.

Edited by titans04

I’m pretty sure we were supposed to sign Shattenkirk, Panarin, Hall, and some other guys too since we had the most to offer them. 

I don’t know who the best available coach is, but odds are he’ll have his choice of whatever jobs are available (I have no idea what jobs are/will be open). And it has seemed in the past few (and I’m being generous by saying “few”), all other things being equal or close to it, Jersey isn’t where they choose. 

Even in the above examples, sure, having room helped facilitate the deals, but neither PK or Gusev chose New Jersey, they were traded for. That’s what I was talking about. 

26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m pretty sure we were supposed to sign Shattenkirk, Panarin, Hall, and some other guys too since we had the most to offer them. 

I don’t know who the best available coach is, but odds are he’ll have his choice of whatever jobs are available (I have no idea what jobs are/will be open). And it has seemed in the past few (and I’m being generous by saying “few”), all other things being equal or close to it, Jersey isn’t where they choose. 

Even in the above examples, sure, having room helped facilitate the deals, but neither PK or Gusev chose New Jersey, they were traded for. That’s what I was talking about. 

Well, other than Panarin (who’s already somewhat disgruntled in NY) there hasn’t been many FA’s I’m terribly upset over missing out on. Maybe Tavares, but he was only going to one team. But I get what you’re saying. Still, I’d rather have money, than be up against the cap and still not be a contender. 

As far as the coaches, and potential openings, the teams with interim coaches are (I think)

Devills

Leafs

Sharks

Flames

Stars

Wild

If I’m a coach I’d take the NJ over Minnesota or SJ, but that still puts us 4th, so we’ll see...

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Still, I’d rather have money, than be up against the cap and still not be a contender. 

Well that I can agree with. 

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

If I’m a coach I’d take the NJ over Minnesota or SJ, but that still puts us 4th, so we’ll see...

I don’t know enough about the Sharks situation, but in terms of places to live, I might not mind California. 

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well that I can agree with. 

I don’t know enough about the Sharks situation, but in terms of places to live, I might not mind California. 

I was going purely of talent/prospects. I sure as hell wouldn’t want to live in Calgary. Lol

• Like 1

There's zero proof Panarin is disgruntled in NY. Rumor which he denied and his own accounts continue to put out how he misses NYR. That's nonsense and wishful thinking.  The best we can hope for is they eat sh!t on the back half of that monster deal.  The kid was way way better than I ever imagined he would be.  

25 minutes ago, titans04 said:

There's zero proof Panarin is disgruntled in NY. Rumor which he denied and his own accounts continue to put out how he misses NYR. That's nonsense and wishful thinking.  The best we can hope for is they eat sh!t on the back half of that monster deal.  The kid was way way better than I ever imagined he would be.  

Right, he complained about the traffic. That doesn’t mean he regrets signing there. 

My mom has been complaining about traffic for 43 years and she hasn’t moved either. 

Edited by mfitz804

2 hours ago, titans04 said:

Disgruntled was probably the wrong word. It wasn’t just the traffic though, he was also crying about getting all his money and saying it’s the only reason he plays. I didn’t say he was unhappy with the team personally, but would I be surprised if he pulled a Kovy at some point in his career? Not really. 

Also, he’s not really a “kid.” He’s already 28. 

Edited by Nicomo

Getting 2 top 10 picks on top of our recent first overall picks, getting a new coach (hopefully Gallant) and getting a GM we're all happy with... plus well just getting hockey at some point should be a nice little positive push.

Getting Gillis would not be fun at all though... There's just nothing he did at all, trade, signings, results... absolutely NOTHING that makes me go. Yeah cool i like his vision or what he does. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Getting 2 top 10 picks on top of our recent first overall picks, getting a new coach (hopefully Gallant) and getting a GM we're all happy with... plus well just getting hockey at some point should be a nice little positive push.

Getting Gillis would not be fun at all though... There's just nothing he did at all, trade, signings, results... absolutely NOTHING that makes me go. Yeah cool i like his vision or what he does. 

Yeah, Gillis such a sought after individual? Do we really need a president of Hockey ops? What does Jake Reynolds do?  

• 4 weeks later...

10. As for the coaching search, word is the Devils are eyeing at least four candidates. I believe that includes incumbent Alain Nasreddine, along with Gerard Gallant, Peter Laviolette and John Stevens. There may be one more. The wrinkle here is that Fitzgerald did the initial interviews, and will any of them want him as their boss should they be choice? It’s also possible ownership will want a conversation before any decision is made. It’s a unique time to try and hire someone.

From 31 Thoughts, https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-fun-week-high-hurdles-remain-nhl-resumption/

I swear to god if this team retains Hynes 2.0, I’m going to be extremely upset, to say the least.

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, jagknife said:

10. As for the coaching search, word is the Devils are eyeing at least four candidates. I believe that includes incumbent Alain Nasreddine, along with Gerard Gallant, Peter Laviolette and John Stevens. There may be one more. The wrinkle here is that Fitzgerald did the initial interviews, and will any of them want him as their boss should they be choice? It’s also possible ownership will want a conversation before any decision is made. It’s a unique time to try and hire someone.

From 31 Thoughts, https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-fun-week-high-hurdles-remain-nhl-resumption/

I swear to god if this team retains Hynes 2.0, I’m going to be extremely upset, to say the least.

I'd be surprised. Once they start interviewing other candidates it is unlikely they are sticking with the interim, they just say the interim is a candidate but if they were really sold on him as head coach they would name him. I don't want him either. It's a decent group of candidates, out of that group I am hoping for Laviolette, really proven coach that I think would a fit for the roster style wise.

3 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

I'd be surprised. Once they start interviewing other candidates it is unlikely they are sticking with the interim, they just say the interim is a candidate but if they were really sold on him as head coach they would name him. I don't want him either. It's a decent group of candidates, out of that group I am hoping for Laviolette, really proven coach that I think would a fit for the roster style wise.

The impression I get is that Nas is being included in the conversation out of respect. I would be really surprised if he is being seriously considered as a candidate with the competition he is up against. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, moustic said:

Rikard Grönborg or die! \m/

I don't understand. New Jersey already talked to him and ZSC Lions said they wouldn't release him from his contract. He is under contract for another full year with them so I don't see how the timelines sync up unless something changes with his current contract. Am I missing something about how the Swiss National League season runs?

24 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't understand. New Jersey already talked to him and ZSC Lions said they wouldn't release him from his contract. He is under contract for another full year with them so I don't see how the timelines sync up unless something changes with his current contract. Am I missing something about how the Swiss National League season runs?

You pay the last year, he is here ! They just mention that he is still under contract so he is not free. In europe we don't have draft compensation or stuff like this ... but you can pay with real money ! 
One can say that why pay for this when you can have other coach for free... But maybe their salary will be higher than the one for Rikard.

and and and... that's really important... I will be really sad if it's not Rikard. That's really important in the grand scheme right ? 

4 hours ago, moustic said:

You pay the last year, he is here ! They just mention that he is still under contract so he is not free. In europe we don't have draft compensation or stuff like this ... but you can pay with real money ! 
One can say that why pay for this when you can have other coach for free... But maybe their salary will be higher than the one for Rikard.

and and and... that's really important... I will be really sad if it's not Rikard. That's really important in the grand scheme right ? 

It’s not my money,  but if you have to pay $3 million just to buy him out of his current gig, it means it’s much harder to fire him if it turns out he’s not the answer.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It’s not my money,  but if you have to pay $3 million just to buy him out of his current gig, it means it’s much harder to fire him if it turns out he’s not the answer.  

Especially where you just lost money from an early end to the season. 

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

i think the coach also has to do with what the devils plan on being the next two to three years - if it's really a kids team and aside from zajac and a couple nothing UFA's for age, then perhaps hitching your wagon to gronborg for 3 years and damn the record, makes the buy out cash irrelevant.

with that said, i'd think that ownership is trying to thread the needle by keeping Fitz, but adding someone like Gilles as a President of Hockey OPS and a coach like gallant all while knowing what their draft position looks like and what other teams are looking to do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jagknife said:

My first thought when reading this was ‘why the fvck is Nasreddine in the mix?’ And John Stevens? fvck off.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

My first thought when reading this was ‘why the fvck is Nasreddine in the mix?’ And John Stevens? fvck off.

Nass did enough to at least be on the list, but I highly doubt he gets the job unless it really comes down to a money issue.  I suppose John Stevens might be seen as something like a Mike Sullivan or Daryl Sutter type, who is also worth talking to.

21 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Because the Devils might be weighing the cost/benefit of hiring a new, expensive coach now vs. simply waiting another year (especially if they really like Gronborg). If the Devils believe that 2020-21 is another lost season, they might be more inclined to let Nas run the ship again (a la Blashill in Detroit) than we're inclined to believe and then reassess after the season. Nas did almost nothing to prove he deserves this job moving forward - if he stays, he's a placeholder. If you asked for my best guess, no, I don't think he stays.

• Like 2