Devils talked with Gallant

Nicomo

10 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Nas did almost nothing to prove he deserves this job moving forward - if he stays, he's a placeholder. If you asked for my best guess, no, I don't think he stays.

He certainly improved the team’s points percentage over his predecessor. Without Taylor Hall. 

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

How about going after Jack Eichel, who wants out of Buffalo?

Yeah, I’d do it but at what cost? He’s locked up through 2026, it will take a lot. 

Assuming it’d have to be Nico plus more. 

Edited by mfitz804

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, I’d do it but at what cost? He’s locked up through 2026, it will take a lot. 

Assuming it’d have to be Nico plus more. 

Maybe Jack Hughes plus.

I am willing to do it, but Blackwood is untouchable.

Eichel and Blackwood would be an excellent foundation for another championship team in NJ.

I put together a very generous offer to the Sabres fans and they came back at me 50/50 about the trade.

Edited by njbuff

15 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Maybe Jack Hughes plus.

I am willing to do it, but Blackwood is untouchable.

Eichel and Blackwood would be an excellent foundation for another championship team in NJ.

I put together a very generous offer to the Sabres fans and they came back at me 50/50 about the trade.

Let's not put that much expectations on Blackwood. He's a young goalie. Goalies are incredibly inconsistent. Even the best proven goalies can be on top of the world one year and be below average the next season. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sundstrom said:

i think the coach also has to do with what the devils plan on being the next two to three years - if it's really a kids team and aside from zajac and a couple nothing UFA's for age, then perhaps hitching your wagon to gronborg for 3 years and damn the record, makes the buy out cash irrelevant.

with that said, i'd think that ownership is trying to thread the needle by keeping Fitz, but adding someone like Gilles as a President of Hockey OPS and a coach like gallant all while knowing what their draft position looks like and what other teams are looking to do.

Keeping Nas says to me, “we didn’t do THAT bad after we fired the other guy. This could work” it’s the Giants’ hiring of McAdoo over Coughlin, leaving TC to look like the scapegoat for the stupidity all over. Nas is a terrible system coach for what our players are contrasted to be. He got lucky that they had the “well we already suck, might as well try some things” shine that comes from a useless coach being fired.

If they finally strip the interm from Fitz and go get Gallant, I’ll actually believe that this team isn’t far off and this year was an oops.

Nasrahynes says we’re screwed

• Like 2

If they want to hire The Mighty Viking next year, I will be willing to accept another year with Nasreddin. I can make a bet that Yzerman will try to hire Grönborg. It’s only one respectful reason why he didn’t fire Blashill this week.

8 hours ago, Guadana said:

If they want to hire The Mighty Viking next year, I will be willing to accept another year with Nasreddin. I can make a bet that Yzerman will try to hire Grönborg. It’s only one respectful reason why he didn’t fire Blashill this week.

Even if Det. gets Lafreniere they will still suck. Makes no difference who's behind the bench. 

3 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Even if Det. gets Lafreniere they will still suck. Makes no difference who's behind the bench. 

many people say the same about us. it doesn't bother us. We are in the same boat with det. +/-

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Detroit is way worse. They won a grand total of 17 games this season. 

They were definitely worse this year. Not that our season was anything to be happy about. If you stand atop a mountain of sh!t, you’re still standing in sh!t, but it’s better than being buried. 

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Detroit is way worse. They won a grand total of 17 games this season. 

absolutely. And i really like it. Hope they lose their lottery. How bad NJD was these years we never play like THAT bad.

Edited by Guadana

Detroit and NJ are awfully similar. Both teams paid the price after a long run of being from above average to excellent for a long period of time without looking out for the future. 

They made good picks and got lucky with the draft (especially with datsyuk and Zetterberg) were able to get a VERY solid core where they could only patch work around that core and stay relevant...they rode that wave for as long as possible without looking at the long-term, unwilling to take a little step back to potentially setup the future and they ran their rosters and prospect pool to the ground. 

Many teams around the league should take notes, Chicago for example is already paying the price and should trade one of their top guys for future consideration while they have value before they have terrible prospects and underperforming 35+ kane and toews taking up so much of the cap that they either couldnt trade or wouldnt get any good value from. Same thing with Pittsburgh and many other teams

Edited by SterioDesign

On 5/28/2020 at 10:10 PM, Neb00rs said:

Because the Devils might be weighing the cost/benefit of hiring a new, expensive coach now vs. simply waiting another year (especially if they really like Gronborg). If the Devils believe that 2020-21 is another lost season, they might be more inclined to let Nas run the ship again (a la Blashill in Detroit) than we're inclined to believe and then reassess after the season. Nas did almost nothing to prove he deserves this job moving forward - if he stays, he's a placeholder. If you asked for my best guess, no, I don't think he stays.

imo you cannot afford to waste another year of Nico and Jack's development under a sh!t-tier coach.

The team might still suck, but you've gotta get a guy in here that can teach these kids how to be professionals.

• Like 4

On 5/28/2020 at 10:52 PM, njbuff said:

How about going after Jack Eichel, who wants out of Buffalo?

I'd give up just about anyone to get Eichel on this team.  

Don't think Buffalo would ever trade him unless it gets way, way uglier.

3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'd give up just about anyone to get Eichel on this team.  

Don't think Buffalo would ever trade him unless it gets way, way uglier.

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

They probably wouldn’t trade him in the East either.

I'd rather they kept him than move him to a different team. Right now he is the only thing that makes BUF competitive and he'd infinitely more dangerous in a competent organization with talent around him(that won't be here). Plausible scenario is a Duchene type where he is vocally unhappy for 3 or 4 years and they eventually manage to move him with half his contract left.

41 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Right now he is the only thing that makes BUF competitive and he'd infinitely more dangerous in a competent organization with talent around him(that won't be here).

Exactly, he could play here and they wouldn’t have to worry. 

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

They were definitely worse this year. Not that our season was anything to be happy about. If you stand atop a mountain of sh!t, you’re still standing in sh!t, but it’s better than being buried. 

yeah bottom of your shoes are the same in both cases unfortunately. Ugh. 

I would bet Fitz had much to do with the hire of Mark Denehey for Binghamton. Wonder if he's a consideration for head coach of big club? Maybe Sarge would move to be an asst. in Newark? (keep the band together) I hear the coach at Minn. Deluth has been courted by teams in the past, but he's very happy where he is. maybe Tony Granato? I wonder if Gallant really wants this gig? (working with so much youth) You know Laviolette would take it. As would John Stevens.  And then, there's Nas. 

• 2 weeks later...

I hate the fact the organization is so lazy/dumb/indifferent/choose-you-own-superlative that they not only have not made a decision on the future of the front office, but have suspended the search.

Nasraddine is not the coach for this squad, period dot. Zero reason to keep his Hynes 2.0 ass here.

Fitz could very well  be what the team needs moving forward, GM wise.

But the owners or whoever STILL refuse to make a decision.

end rant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

I hate the fact the organization is so lazy/dumb/indifferent/choose-you-own-superlative that they not only have not made a decision on the future of the front office, but have suspended the search.

Nasraddine is not the coach for this squad, period dot. Zero reason to keep his Hynes 2.0 ass here.

Fitz could very well  be what the team needs moving forward, GM wise.

But the owners or whoever STILL refuse to make a decision.

end rant.

I don't think not hiring a coach is really that big of a deal, we realistically aren't playing another game until December and that's being generous and we have time before free agency and all that plus we need to see how the playoffs work out in case another coach gets fired. 

When it comes to Fitz I agree though, they need to either sh!t or get off the pot and make up their mind when it comes to the GM.

• Like 5

I'm not surprised that they are taking their time. The Devils probably don't play again until in January. Presuming things start up again, there will be playoffs and an offseason which will produce the fullest range of options, in the meantime Fitz is doing the job and not going anywhere. I think there is a good chance it will be Fitz anyway but I don't see the downside of letting it play out.

16 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

I'm not surprised that they are taking their time. The Devils probably don't play again until in January. Presuming things start up again, there will be playoffs and an offseason which will produce the fullest range of options, in the meantime Fitz is doing the job and not going anywhere. I think there is a good chance it will be Fitz anyway but I don't see the downside of letting it play out.

15 hours ago, Nicomo said:

The only downside of waiting is if their first choice ends up getting snatched up by another team. But at this point, it seems there’s no front runner. 

I think that is the biggest issue for me. You've been sitting on your hands for three months, if not longer. Of course, they won't let it play out in the media, but it makes no sense to begin approaching the mytical draft, whenever the hell that will be, without a GM, and I'm not even talking free agency.

Sure, don't rush the coach, but if you don't have a GM, what coach will want to come here not knowing who his boss will be.

Hell the Red Wings stuck with Bashill and they suck, really really badly.

Its also the fact I refuse to invest any energy in current events  so  I'm relying heavily on the non-existent sports  landscape while getting ready to move.

• Like 1