Devils talked with Gallant

Nicomo

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Almost every coach Subban had had problems with him and his attitude... talking back, arguing with them or teammates and continuously making the same bad decisions and trying to do too much. Some are just handling it better or being more vocal about it than others. There's a good reason he barely made team canada and didn't suit up the year after he won his Norris*. 

You guys have seen it now and through the season i've seen some members here finally turning the corner. I fully understand the love for Subban when all you see is his great highlights videos from time to time and nice plays or when don't know hockey too much and all you care about is those fancy looking plays. But his fancy and exciting looking spin-o-ramas wears thin compared to his constant bad positioning, turnovers and terrible decisions... then you start getting annoyed more and more. The same can be said about any offense first and flashy guy around the league really... and it's obviously getting even worst when the offense is not even there anymore.

But! If we follow his pattern, the next season of actual hockey should be close to a career year!

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

But! If we follow his pattern, the next season of actual hockey should be close to a career year!

Well i hope so but i'm not sure of that. Markov and Price were big factors in Subban's success in MTL. Nashville had solid partners for him too and Rinne in the back.

I've seen Price saving Subban's ass sooooooo often after Subban would turn the puck over leaving a player alone against Price but Price would stop it more often than not. Or Markov able to fix a defensive mistake. We don't really have anyone who can help Subban here. And the price he's getting paid, he should be the one making others around him better, not the other way around

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

IF IF this is true - FFS, really?

We’re hearing tales of confusion within the Devils hierarchy as ownership and its proxies continue to conduct interviews for the GM position that continues to be filled on an interim/acting basis by Tom Fitzgerald.

Different candidates have apparently been interviewed by different individuals within the executive branch, but dividing and conquering seems to be part of the Josh Harris-David Blitzer ownership philosophy.

Beyond that, third parties dealing with the New Jersey hockey department don’t know who is responsible for making decisions.

It’s under these conditions that the organization may hire a coach to replace interim man Alain Nasreddine, with Peter Laviolette having emerged as the leading contender, before settling on a permanent general manager.

The Devils have a CEO in Scott O’Neil and a president named Jake Reynolds, so it would seem that the team is seeking a standard-operating GM rather than a Brendan Shanahan/John Davidson type chief hockey exec.

I don’t know whether Kevin Weekes would be interested in assuming that type of role, but if so, and if he has not yet been invited for a virtual sit-down with Harris and Blitzer (or Donner, O’Neil and Reynolds, if not Martin Brodeur and who knows, maybe even Bob Butera), then what are the Devils waiting for?

https://nypost.com/2020/06/13/slap-shots-nhl-union-hilarity-and-devils-hiring-confusion/

Edited by titans04
  • Shocking 1

If the role of GM is going to be a little watered down compared to what Shero and Lou were then I can see them going with someone with a little less experience. If decisions are made more democratically with Harris, Blitzer, Marty, the new GM, and whoever else all having input then a good hockey mind could be all they’re looking for.

15 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I like Kevin Weekes but I want proven people now. Experience matters after sucking as long as NJ has. 

I don't take Larry Brooks word as gospel though. 

Same, do you consider Fitz proven 1214?

I don't.

2 hours ago, titans04 said:

I don't.

Based on the number of likes mfitz has, I’d say he’s proven and then some.

As for the Devils’ Fitz, I would be willing to give him a shot.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Based on the number of likes mfitz has, I’d say he’s proven and then some.

As for the Devils’ Fitz, I would be willing to give him a shot.  

Proven to be WHAT remains to interpretation!

;) 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, titans04 said:

I don't.

More proven than Weekes would be considering he's been in the front office before. 

I like what Fitz has done thus far, especially considering the circumstances, but I'd rather a safer option. I'm not sure if one exists though. If you have to go with the guy you have that's unproven vs a guy outside the org that is unproven, I'd rather just stick with Fitz.