Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Nicomo

Devils talked with Gallant

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

My first thought when reading this was ‘why the fvck is Nasreddine in the mix?’ And John Stevens? fvck off.

Because the Devils might be weighing the cost/benefit of hiring a new, expensive coach now vs. simply waiting another year (especially if they really like Gronborg). If the Devils believe that 2020-21 is another lost season, they might be more inclined to let Nas run the ship again (a la Blashill in Detroit) than we're inclined to believe and then reassess after the season. Nas did almost nothing to prove he deserves this job moving forward - if he stays, he's a placeholder. If you asked for my best guess, no, I don't think he stays.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Nas did almost nothing to prove he deserves this job moving forward - if he stays, he's a placeholder. If you asked for my best guess, no, I don't think he stays.

He certainly improved the team’s points percentage over his predecessor. Without Taylor Hall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about going after Jack Eichel, who wants out of Buffalo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

How about going after Jack Eichel, who wants out of Buffalo?

Yeah, I’d do it but at what cost? He’s locked up through 2026, it will take a lot. 
 

Assuming it’d have to be Nico plus more. 

Edited by mfitz804

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, I’d do it but at what cost? He’s locked up through 2026, it will take a lot. 
 

Assuming it’d have to be Nico plus more. 

Maybe Jack Hughes plus.

I am willing to do it, but Blackwood is untouchable.

Eichel and Blackwood would be an excellent foundation for another championship team in NJ.

 

 

I put together a very generous offer to the Sabres fans and they came back at me 50/50 about the trade.

Edited by njbuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Maybe Jack Hughes plus.

I am willing to do it, but Blackwood is untouchable.

Eichel and Blackwood would be an excellent foundation for another championship team in NJ.

 

 

I put together a very generous offer to the Sabres fans and they came back at me 50/50 about the trade.

Let's not put that much expectations on Blackwood. He's a young goalie. Goalies are incredibly inconsistent. Even the best proven goalies can be on top of the world one year and be below average the next season. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sundstrom said:

i think the coach also has to do with what the devils plan on being the next two to three years - if it's really a kids team and aside from zajac and a couple nothing UFA's for age, then perhaps hitching your wagon to gronborg for 3 years and damn the record, makes the buy out cash irrelevant.

with that said, i'd think that ownership is trying to thread the needle by keeping Fitz, but adding someone like Gilles as a President of Hockey OPS and a coach like gallant all while knowing what their draft position looks like and what other teams are looking to do.

Keeping Nas says to me, “we didn’t do THAT bad after we fired the other guy. This could work” it’s the Giants’ hiring of McAdoo over Coughlin, leaving TC to look like the scapegoat for the stupidity all over. Nas is a terrible system coach for what our players are contrasted to be. He got lucky that they had the “well we already suck, might as well try some things” shine that comes from a useless coach being fired.

If they finally strip the interm from Fitz and go get Gallant, I’ll actually believe that this team isn’t far off and this year was an oops.

Nasrahynes says we’re screwed

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they want to hire The Mighty Viking next year, I will be willing to accept another year with Nasreddin. I can make a bet that Yzerman will try to hire Grönborg. It’s only one respectful reason why he didn’t fire Blashill this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Guadana said:

If they want to hire The Mighty Viking next year, I will be willing to accept another year with Nasreddin. I can make a bet that Yzerman will try to hire Grönborg. It’s only one respectful reason why he didn’t fire Blashill this week.

Even if Det. gets Lafreniere they will still suck. Makes no difference who's behind the bench. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Even if Det. gets Lafreniere they will still suck. Makes no difference who's behind the bench. 

many people say the same about us. it doesn't bother us. We are in the same boat with det. +/-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Guadana said:

many people say the same about us. it doesn't bother us. We are in the same boat with det. +/-

Detroit is way worse. They won a grand total of 17 games this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Detroit is way worse. They won a grand total of 17 games this season. 

They were definitely worse this year. Not that our season was anything to be happy about. If you stand atop a mountain of sh!t, you’re still standing in sh!t, but it’s better than being buried. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Detroit is way worse. They won a grand total of 17 games this season. 

absolutely. And i really like it. Hope they lose their lottery. How bad NJD was these years we never play like THAT bad.

Edited by Guadana

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Detroit and NJ are awfully similar. Both teams paid the price after a long run of being from above average to excellent for a long period of time without looking out for the future. 

They made good picks and got lucky with the draft (especially with datsyuk and Zetterberg) were able to get a VERY solid core where they could only patch work around that core and stay relevant...they rode that wave for as long as possible without looking at the long-term, unwilling to take a little step back to potentially setup the future and they ran their rosters and prospect pool to the ground. 

Many teams around the league should take notes, Chicago for example is already paying the price and should trade one of their top guys for future consideration while they have value before they have terrible prospects and underperforming 35+ kane and toews taking up so much of the cap that they either couldnt trade or wouldnt get any good value from. Same thing with Pittsburgh and many other teams

Edited by SterioDesign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 10:10 PM, Neb00rs said:

Because the Devils might be weighing the cost/benefit of hiring a new, expensive coach now vs. simply waiting another year (especially if they really like Gronborg). If the Devils believe that 2020-21 is another lost season, they might be more inclined to let Nas run the ship again (a la Blashill in Detroit) than we're inclined to believe and then reassess after the season. Nas did almost nothing to prove he deserves this job moving forward - if he stays, he's a placeholder. If you asked for my best guess, no, I don't think he stays.

imo you cannot afford to waste another year of Nico and Jack's development under a sh!t-tier coach.

The team might still suck, but you've gotta get a guy in here that can teach these kids how to be professionals.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 10:52 PM, njbuff said:

How about going after Jack Eichel, who wants out of Buffalo?

I'd give up just about anyone to get Eichel on this team.  

Don't think Buffalo would ever trade him unless it gets way, way uglier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'd give up just about anyone to get Eichel on this team.  

Don't think Buffalo would ever trade him unless it gets way, way uglier.

They probably wouldn’t trade him in the East either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'd give up just about anyone to get Eichel on this team.  

Don't think Buffalo would ever trade him unless it gets way, way uglier.

 

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

They probably wouldn’t trade him in the East either.

I'd rather they kept him than move him to a different team. Right now he is the only thing that makes BUF competitive and he'd infinitely more dangerous in a competent organization with talent around him(that won't be here). Plausible scenario is a Duchene type where he is vocally unhappy for 3 or 4 years and they eventually manage to move him with half his contract left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Right now he is the only thing that makes BUF competitive and he'd infinitely more dangerous in a competent organization with talent around him(that won't be here).

Exactly, he could play here and they wouldn’t have to worry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

They were definitely worse this year. Not that our season was anything to be happy about. If you stand atop a mountain of sh!t, you’re still standing in sh!t, but it’s better than being buried. 

yeah bottom of your shoes are the same in both cases unfortunately. Ugh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would bet Fitz had much to do with the hire of Mark Denehey for Binghamton. Wonder if he's a consideration for head coach of big club? Maybe Sarge would move to be an asst. in Newark? (keep the band together) I hear the coach at Minn. Deluth has been courted by teams in the past, but he's very happy where he is. maybe Tony Granato? I wonder if Gallant really wants this gig? (working with so much youth) You know Laviolette would take it. As would John Stevens.  And then, there's Nas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate the fact the organization is so lazy/dumb/indifferent/choose-you-own-superlative that they not only have not made a decision on the future of the front office, but have suspended the search.


Nasraddine is not the coach for this squad, period dot. Zero reason to keep his Hynes 2.0 ass here.

Fitz could very well  be what the team needs moving forward, GM wise.

But the owners or whoever STILL refuse to make a decision.

 

end rant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jagknife said:

I hate the fact the organization is so lazy/dumb/indifferent/choose-you-own-superlative that they not only have not made a decision on the future of the front office, but have suspended the search.


Nasraddine is not the coach for this squad, period dot. Zero reason to keep his Hynes 2.0 ass here.

Fitz could very well  be what the team needs moving forward, GM wise.

But the owners or whoever STILL refuse to make a decision.

 

end rant.

I don't think not hiring a coach is really that big of a deal, we realistically aren't playing another game until December and that's being generous and we have time before free agency and all that plus we need to see how the playoffs work out in case another coach gets fired. 

When it comes to Fitz I agree though, they need to either sh!t or get off the pot and make up their mind when it comes to the GM.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not surprised that they are taking their time. The Devils probably don't play again until in January. Presuming things start up again, there will be playoffs and an offseason which will produce the fullest range of options, in the meantime Fitz is doing the job and not going anywhere. I think there is a good chance it will be Fitz anyway but I don't see the downside of letting it play out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only downside of waiting is if their first choice ends up getting snatched up by another team. But at this point, it seems there’s no front runner. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.