Game Issued Jersey??

Came across this "game issued jersey" on eBay which I'm seriously doubting is a GI jersey.  Size 48 for a goalie? I know Terreri is a smaller dude and they wore smaller size chest protector in that era but 48 seems really off. I think I saw one of his jerseys on Meigray once and was sized 56G if I recall.  Can anyone with more jersey knowledge offer thoughts? Huge Terreri fan and would love this jersey but I don't think I'd spend $500, even if it was game-used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chris-Terreri-Game-Issued-Jersey-New-Jersey-Devils/373049557732?hash=item56db7c82e4:g:JkkAAOSwnTteuhj8

No WAY that's a GI jersey.  Even ignoring the nameplate font not being quite right (a little too tall), the seller doesn't mention what year it's from, or offer a COA.  And yeah, according to this auction, Terreri was wearing a 58G cut in 2000-01:

https://www.gamewornauctions.net/products/2000_01_Chris_Terreri_New_Jersey_Devils_Game_Worn_Jersey-4993-133.html

$500 for a poorly nameplated authentic?  Nah.  

BTW in case you're not aware, game-issued means that it was made for a player, but never actually worn during a game.  Some bargains to be found that way (though obviously such jerseys won't have any of the wear that many collectors crave).  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

What's sad is that seller has some "legit" stuff too (complete with COA) in his e-bay store.  He knows full well that there's no way that that Terreri jersey is a GI.  At absolute most, I'd say it's worth a little maybe $150-200...and given that the nameplate is off, I'd be hard-pressed to want to pay even that much.  I would also never fit into a size 48, heh heh...I'm over 6' and weigh 202 lbs.  

A true Terreri Devil GW would be a nice grab (especially an old red and green)...probably very hard to come by though.  

1 hour ago, gardenstatepkwy said:

I'm probably about the size to fit in a 48 (5'11 170) but not sure I'd want to even make an offer given the fact he seems to be knowingly deceptive. Rubs me the wrong way.

Yeah he's hoping someone not in the know will just pony up.  Probably will never sell, until he advertises it for what it is, and drops the price to $300 with a "Make an offer" option.  

EDIT:  Heh heh he just dropped it down to $400...could be lurking here.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Haha 1

One thing that is kinda cool about that jersey is that it's an Ultrafil.  Always loved those myself.  Means that it's supposed to be (but obviously isn't) from Terreri's 93-94, 95, or 95-96 season...of course, he was dealt early in the 95-96 season (mid-November, for a 2nd-round pick that became defenseman Pavel Skrbek...he never suited up for the Devils and managed just 12 games in the NHL).

2 minutes ago, gardenstatepkwy said:

100% lurking. Just changed the description and removed any mention of game issued!

Yeah, even changed it to "authentic"...which is exactly what I called it.  Well at least he's not trying to sell it for something it isn't anymore.  

(How long before he adds "Ultrafil" to the description...heh heh).

• Haha 1

FWIW the seller is selling off jerseys that was recently part of a lot at Leland auctions that had both jerseys and gloves.

https://auction.lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=98251

After fee's the total for that lot was about $1200-1300.

Now I see they are up on eBay for $900 each (or best offer).  Also keep in mind the following:

1) The Langs is a preseason gamer.  That is not mentioned in the ebay listing (or in the Lelands listing either).

2) Yeah it is doubtful that is even a GI for Terreri given the reasons above.

3) The consensus among several collectors are saying that Langs likely didn't wear those gloves.  I am not really a equipment guy so I will take their word for it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gardenstatepkwy said:

That's awesome detective work, DevsMan! Appreciate it! I keep my eyes out for Terreri stuff all the time but rarely come across anything. Especially jerseys.

Thanks!  The detective work is from mostly what other Devils collectors pieced together and I am just posting their findings:)

I was watching that lot and was interested if it kept under $600, but naturally that didn't happen lol.

• Like 1

Yeah had a feeling you might be checking in on this one DM, heh heh.

The seller already dropped the "GI" from the listing for Terreri.  Get the feeling he might be lurking here.   

Seller sent me a private offer of $300 because I'm watching it.  It would have to be $150 before I'd even consider buying it. They are going to have to accept taking a loss on this one and hope to make it up on the other jerseys in that lot.  I don't think Terreri is highly collected/popular enough to warrant $300-400 for non-game used.

Edited by gardenstatepkwy

5 minutes ago, gardenstatepkwy said:

Seller sent me a private offer of $300 because I'm watching it.  It would have to be $150 before I'd even consider buying it. They are going to have to accept taking a loss on this one and hope to make it up on the other jerseys in that lot.  I don't think Terreri is highly collected/popular enough to warrant $300-400 for non-game used.

lmao I got the same offer!  Guy is definitely lurking here.  

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

lmao I got the same offer!  Guy is definitely lurking here.  

Not necessarily.  That's a somewhat new feature ebay has (as in the past couple of years or so) where sellers can send their watchers or those who viewed the item an offer.  The offer is the same for everyone and it is done in just a couple of clicks.  I got an offer on the Langs for $600 from that guy even though I only viewed it and haven't been watching it.

26 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Not necessarily.  That's a somewhat new feature ebay has (as in the past couple of years or so) where sellers can send their watchers or those who viewed the item an offer.  The offer is the same for everyone and it is done in just a couple of clicks.  I got an offer on the Langs for $600 from that guy even though I only viewed it and haven't been watching it.

Yeah not the first time I got an offer, and you could be 100% on the money.  But it was kinda funny that I said maybe $300 on here...and then he sends out an offer for exactly that.  

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah not the first time I got an offer, and you could be 100% on the money.  But it was kinda funny that I said maybe $300 on here...and then he sends out an offer for exactly that.  

Frankly, if I was him, I would ask Lelands for a refund on the Langs and Terreri.  There was no mention in the listing that the Langs was a PS and Terreri was described as a GI when it is not.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.